{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Pitch

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm

Spiritater wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:The weather has been crap here for a couple of weeks, snow, ice, sleet and rain... what do you expect.

Pity, I was expecting Akins to make his debut ;)

:hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Waterlogged pitch

Postby Bradders » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:54 pm

You could see that the pitch was OK at 5 p.m., or whenever the Twitter video was posted by the club. Shortly afterwards the rain came down, as predicted but probably a lot heavier than expected.
You can't postpone a match on a weather forecast alone, when the pitch is playable and it's not even raining. The rain may have turned out much lighter than expected.
But it sounds like the pitch was getting far too wet as soon as the downpour started, and with no let up in sight it was probably the correct decision. I don't see that the club had any choice in this one. Quite different from last week's debacle.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Bradders wrote:You could see that the pitch was OK at 5 p.m., or whenever the Twitter video was posted by the club. Shortly afterwards the rain came down, as predicted but probably a lot heavier than expected.
You can't postpone a match on a weather forecast alone, when the pitch is playable and it's not even raining. The rain may have turned out much lighter than expected.
But it sounds like the pitch was getting far too wet as soon as the downpour started, and with no let up in sight it was probably the correct decision. I don't see that the club had any choice in this one. Quite different from last week's debacle.

Which was down to the ref, not the club.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Evatt comes across as a right raspberry. He certainly fits in with these thick as raspberry Bolton fans on Twitter.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:33 pm

Rotherham v Derby called off tonight are playing tomorrow night now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 pm

pemill wrote:Field Mill hasn't never been the best pitch for draining, add to that I have never seen my own garden so waterlogged, there is no wonder it is off. I've been sat outside the Barracuda having my tea when the heavens opened, not quite torrential rain but not far off, Sheepbridge Lane awash and a bit of a ford under the bridge.

No shame, no embarrassment, no different to the Walsall game being called off.

While I was in the chippy had to double isolate, it was very disturbing, there was another virus in a Spirite tracksuit, came in for a battered sausage open with salt & vinegar - must be desperate times in non league.

Great post....I nearly choked with laughter.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby west country stag » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:25 am

Have you spit your dummy out ? .... EX SPIREITE LOSER
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am

Refused to play it tonight again.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 am

[quote="Sedgwick"]Refused to play it tonight again.[/quote

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-19757196
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:40 am

Evatt. Maybe we should have played it on the sheep pitch he was so raspberry on every time he played. Nice and local for him.
Oh.. hold on , that was waterlogged as well. Holding on to his job by his fingernails and using every bleating excuse in the book.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:54 am

victor A block wrote:Evatt. Maybe we should have played it on the sheep pitch he was so raspberry on every time he played. Nice and local for him.
Oh.. hold on , that was waterlogged as well. Holding on to his job by his fingernails and using every bleating excuse in the book.

He probably won't be in charge when we get the game played.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:49 am

This is a manager who is seriously worried about his job and trying to shift the attention away from the fact that the Massively budgeted Bolton are near the bottom of the League, it is also obvious that he is also frightened of playing us at the moment, hence why he refused to play us tonight, his words “on my terms” when all his players are fit, smacks of someone who is desperate.
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby pemill » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:08 pm

I notice Derby have rearranged for tonight against Rotherham, what is wrong with Bolton doing the same?
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Doesn't pay to furlough your groundsman, nature doesn't stop working etc.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm

pemill wrote:I notice Derby have rearranged for tonight against Rotherham, what is wrong with Bolton doing the same?

Our pitch will likely need longer to recover to be fair.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:32 pm

I have spit my dummy out, so frustrated , i know this is a interim season, and he knows their is a lot to be done, sure it will be sorted, seems strange when you cannot play football in winter we do get frost and rain every winter, and fans have to be considered in frost and snow for safety reasons, so easy now with no fans, surly this is a wake up call , we are in the 21st century If we get a covid 19 positive, that will be another 10 days , could be another 3 games lost, one of our biggest assets the pitch has been over looked in the grands scheme of things.
maybe still frustrated rant over, i think
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:28 pm

It is frustrating, and of course there's the possibility of even greater fixture congestion, but this has been, and continues to be, a much wetter winter than we've had for many a long year, and therefore couldn't have been anticipated. We've has 25% more rainfall in December and January than the average year, and that's an awful lot of water! Someone on here said they'd sooner the club spent £150,000 on improving the playing surface than on a striker. Really? If it came to the push, either/ or, really? I just think that the ground staff and the Radfords are suffering an adverse reaction on here out of all proportion to the circumstances, and I suspect that, in part, it's because people are harbouring visions of a playoff place. Well, why not, but John Radford's brief to Nigel Clough was crystal clear; keep us up, and kick on next season. So, take a chill pill, enjoy the evolution under Cloughie, and look forward to being in the stands next season to cheer us on up the table.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Here goes the perfect answer, a Art Desso pitch, Natural grass interwoven with artificial fibres going 7 feet down, giving good drainage and playing comfort.
Arsenal, Liverpool, Man utd, Wembley have them, so a proven surface for top class football.
Clough had one installed for Sheff Utd while they were in league 1, Now then the cost is between £500,000 and 1 million pounds, sounds a lot, but one good cup run can cover the cost.
Like all in life you get what you pay for, The Stadium belongs to the club,,, players come and go, in league 1 Burton could afford £500,000 for a player, who had a a cruciate injury in preseason and missed 75% of the season, and then had to come back from a career finishing injury, This shows that players can cost money with no guaranteed return.
But spending on our Stadium is a investment for the future.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:24 pm

I’m not sure having a new pitch would solve the problem when you have that much rainfall in a couple of hours. You’ve only got to look down the A60 to see that. Notts spent thousands on laying a new pitch during the first lockdown in April or May and it’s held up well but last night it flooded because of the amount of rain. Sometimes you simply can’t beat nature.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:25 pm

One development is we do now have some rain covers, and Nigel Clough said we'll have more before Saturday
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:One development is we do now have some rain covers, and Nigel Clough said we'll have more before Saturday

That is good news
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby calvostag38 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:18 pm

Evatt now states in the MEN that he is fuming and will now only play this game, when and as it suits Bolton Wanderers. Who the f*** does he think he is, did we order the rain for mid afternoon? He really has got a Bob on himself. Talk about egotism. This man is desperate, it's everybody else's fault that his team are not very good! Not our fault it rained muppet! I hope we hammer you....mug
calvostag38
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkstag » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Perfect summary
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:03 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:One development is we do now have some rain covers, and Nigel Clough said we'll have more before Saturday

That is good news

And massively overdue
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm

Bear73
I'm not sure you know the history of our pitch pre covid, no income, furloughed staff.
It was fantastic with an exemplary record of games not being postponed.
It's an unprecedented season that needs a little understanding of how hard it's been for all at the club.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum