{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Andy Cook, joins Bradford on loan

Postby chip63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:33 am

Don't we have an option to extend his contract, if so can we get money for him if he leaves.
His price is going up every week and I'm wondering if he's one of those players who suddenly finds form and interest in the game when he needs a new contract.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 am

He has scored more goals for Bradford than Reid has for us

Cook only signed for Bradford 9 weeks ago!!
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marksay » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 am

OMG watched the howlers in slomo from Lofc it was worse than schoolboy stuff . There has been some very poor business if no call back clause was written in to Cooke’s loan.
Imagine we go down and our player scores for fun in another team. It is appalling two strikers are let out on loan when we haven’t got anything left at home. The ink wasn’t wet for the Burton player who never got over the line.
No matter what anyone says this was a catastrophic management decision which I hope doesn’t cost us
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 am

marksay wrote:OMG watched the howlers in slomo from Lofc it was worse than schoolboy stuff . There has been some very poor business if no call back clause was written in to Cooke’s loan.
Imagine we go down and our player scores for fun in another team. It is appalling two strikers are let out on loan when we haven’t got anything left at home. The ink wasn’t wet for the Burton player who never got over the line.
No matter what anyone says this was a catastrophic management decision which I hope doesn’t cost us

Possibly so but Cook went before Maynard and neither were pulling trees up for us. He simply didn’t fit our preferred style of play and there is nothing to say he would have guaranteed goals here.

And additionally we don’t know who made the final decision to let the two players go yet people automatically blame Clough.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:07 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
marksay wrote:OMG watched the howlers in slomo from Lofc it was worse than schoolboy stuff . There has been some very poor business if no call back clause was written in to Cooke’s loan.

Possibly so but Cook went before Maynard and neither were pulling trees up for us. He simply didn’t fit our preferred style of play and there is nothing to say he would have guaranteed goals here.

And additionally we don’t know who made the final decision to let the two players go yet people automatically blame Clough.

I love the he didn't fit our style quote.

So you like our current style with two non scoring planks up front rather than giving a natural goal scorer a fair run in the side and play to his strengths.
I bet the Bradford fans love our lets not play to score philosophy

Please God give me strength
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

So you like our current style with two non scoring planks up front rather than giving a natural goal scorer a fair run in the side and play to his strengths.

Cook was just as ineffective in his time here because he can’t run and hassle. Do we change the entire team and way we play so he can score maybe 5 or 6 goals? Or even 10. If we did you would have to subtract the goals contributed by the midfield players as they wouldn’t be anywhere near and have stiff necks watching the ball sail over them.

Yes Reid and probably Bowery aren’t the answer but what don’t you understand about not being able to get the right players in until the end of the season? Do you want us to change style and formation to suit Cook and then change again in the summer because if that is what you are suggesting, I would argue we probably would have got relegated this season. Even if Cook had revived us to the top half of the table, we would still be in league 2 next year but with a bigger rebuild to do.

Clough is building his team now and although we couldn’t sign the correct players in January, he knows who he wants and how he will use them.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

As someone who sponsored Andy Cook (away) I was devastated that he was allowed to leave. Yes there seems to be an issue that he doesn't always seem to get on with some managers....Walsall before us... but he never got an extended run in the side. At the start of the season most people had him as our best player then all of a sudden he's dropped and Reid gets to play. Of course he wants regular game time not ten minute cameos and if he saw in Reid then what we all have seen for weeks of course he wanted out. None of us understood the Manager's love affair with Reid but he's the Manager but how many of us would be happy being passed over for any position in favour of someone who clearly isn't up to it.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

As someone who sponsored Andy Cook (away) I was devastated that he was allowed to leave. Yes there seems to be an issue that he doesn't always seem to get on with some managers....Walsall before us... but he never got an extended run in the side. At the start of the season most people had him as our best player then all of a sudden he's dropped and Reid gets to play. Of course he wants regular game time not ten minute cameos and if he saw in Reid then what we all have seen for weeks of course he wanted out. None of us understood the Manager's love affair with Reid but he's the Manager but how many of us would be happy being passed over for any position in favour of someone who clearly isn't up to it.

Tell that to Sandy Pate.

It doesn't seem to matter Cook scores goals, we are planning for next season whilst sinking and hanging on in the season that matters :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:05 pm

chip63 wrote:Don't we have an option to extend his contract, if so can we get money for him if he leaves.
His price is going up every week and I'm wondering if he's one of those players who suddenly finds form and interest in the game when he needs a new contract.

Andy Cook may have an option in his favour which gives him the right to another contract on the same terms (£4,000 per week plus?) if he played more than a certain number of games for the Stags this season.

I think the decision to let Andy Cook go was partly a financial decision and partly the fact that Nigel Clough does not see him in his plans long term as his playing style does not suit NC's favoured 4-3-3 formation.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:11 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Tell that to Sandy Pate.

It doesn't seem to matter Cook scores goals, we are planning for next season whilst sinking and hanging on in the season that matters :roll:

Parky

We will be in the same division next season no matter which scenario you go with. The difference is that Clough’s plans will be more advanced without Cook. In the greater picture we will have learnt more about the contracted players than we would if we had kept Cook. There is now no doubt about the current strike forces long term abilities to develop and value (or lack of it) to the team. Get your head up and look forward as the present is totally irrelevant.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 pm

I think Rose would have been a better fit for NC than either Cook or Maynard. More hard working.

Some of this reminds me when Keith Haslam sold Richard Barker.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I think Rose would have been a better fit for NC than either Cook or Maynard. More hard working.

I think you are correct Andy, Rose would have been the one to keep but Clough didn’t have the chance.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Then perhaps our preferred style of play is wrong ! a good manager adapts to his players capabilities not the other way around , on the other hand a good coach improves the abilities that the players already have....big difference
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 pm

diablo wrote:

Then perhaps our preferred style of play is wrong ! a good manager adapts to his players capabilities not the other way around , on the other hand a good coach improves the abilities that the players already have....big difference

But who are you developing?

Why would you coach a team in a style that is going to change at season’s end just to win games that are irrelevant?

Surely it’s better to get the players you are keeping to play to the style which will be employed when your own team is sorted. If you keep swapping styles they will be Jack’s of all trades but masters of none.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:38 pm

diablo wrote:

I disagree,NC is forward thinking and knows how he wants to play next season. He knew Cook and Maynard are not hardworking enough to suit his style. The players he has already given new contracts to, will have been tried and tested. This season turned into a survival season and a rebuilding after two woeful manager appointments.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:

I disagree,NC is forward thinking and knows how he wants to play next season. He knew Cook and Maynard are not hardworking enough to suit his style. The players he has already given new contracts to, will have been tried and tested. This season turned into a survival season and a rebuilding after two woeful manager appointments.

Hard workers who can't score goals won't get you very far Andy
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:02 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:

They don’t need to this year. It’s about installing a system into the other players for next season and at the same time evaluating if they are worth keeping and able to play in that system. Clough is testing and learning about the players and their capabilities and that’s not just the forwards.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:10 pm

And additionally we don’t know who made the final decision to let the two players go yet people automatically blame Clough.[/quote]

Then perhaps our preferred style of play is wrong ! a good manager adapts to his players capabilities not the other way around , on the other hand a good coach improves the abilities that the players already have....big difference[/quote] I disagree,NC is forward thinking and knows how he wants to play next season. He knew Cook and Maynard are not hardworking enough to suit his style. The players he has already given new contracts to, will have been tried and tested. This season turned into a survival season and a rebuilding after two woeful manager appointments.[/quote]

Hard workers who can't score goals won't get you very far Andy[/quote]

They don’t need to this year. It’s about installing a system into the other players for next season and at the same time evaluating if they are worth keeping and able to play in that system. Clough is testing and learning about the players and their capabilities and that’s not just the forwards.[/quote]

And there's me thinking goals and a modicum of excitement for the poor souls forking out hard earned in desperate times isn't much to ask.

I see, sod 'em, it's all an experiment
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Clough would have made the decision for all transfers, taking in the budget he has, Cook wanted to go to Bradford and knew his contract ended in June 2021, do you think he would be bothered if he played or not here, he would be thinking of his next move in June, and is now playing for a new contract, and if all goes well he will still be in league 2 next season
Jimmy Knowles has gone quite, and Maynard to
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:

He will sign someone (perhaps two) who will score goals next season in his system. He didn't sign Bowery or Reid.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I think Rose would have been a better fit for NC than either Cook or Maynard. More hard working.

I agree Andy. I think Danny Rose would have done well under Nigel Clough.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Can see him returning...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Can see him returning...

Rose has scored just 19 goals over the last 3 seasons (19 in 99 games). We can do better I think. I’d also like to have a striker who can actually strike a ball properly, Rose struggles in the kicking a football hard department.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:02 pm

Didn't the club try to rid themselves of Cook even before NC was manager.? Wasn't he linked with Barrow ? He stayed and we then we sold Rose. I've a feeling the club regretted signing Cook.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Can see him returning...

Rose has scored just 19 goals over the last 3 seasons (19 in 99 games). We can do better I think. I’d also like to have a striker who can actually strike a ball properly, Rose struggles in the kicking a football hard department.

Coventry away?

Don't want him back though, let's move on.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum