{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough - Daily Mail

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough - Daily Mail

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Nigel Clough - Daily Mail

Postby julianshatnasty » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:10 am

Well I'm not too keen in the last line.
Nor the bit where he says he should have left Burton in the Championship.

Would love him to take us there, but would love him to stay til he retires too.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:44 am

julianshatnasty wrote:Well I'm not too keen in the last line.
Nor the bit where he says he should have left Burton in the Championship.

Would love him to take us there, but would love him to stay til he retires too.

The guy is ambitious. We’ve got to be honest with ourselves and think if Forest came in for him, then he’d want to go and have that opportunity.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:18 am

The 3-4 years time to be at forest? It's possible he could get us to the Premier league by that time. So he can go then :lol:

Clough doesn't strike me as someone who will jump ship to China and get lost and end up in Peterborough.

Forest can't stop swapping managers so they will be posting managers jobs at least six times before Clough reaches 60.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 am

In fairness it is in the Daily Mail so a fair chance he didn't even say it :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby old ram stag » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 am

If clough gets offered the forest job in 4 years time it means he's done a job here, and for that we will always welcome him as one of our own, but that's 4 years away let's enjoy the ride while he is ours.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:11 am

I think we need Forest to do well then over the next year or two. If they go up to the Prem or are knocking on the door when Cloughie takes us up, we may hold onto him for another season or two.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 am

I don't think Clough is likely to go to Forest any time soon. Obviously he has a history with the club and admits he would like to manage them at some point, but he is very much a 'long term' type of manager who likes to take on a project and develop a team. The Forest mindset is still that they are a 'Premier league club in waiting' and need to return to their rightful place, despite the fact that history shows they are already there. ;)
The managerial merry-go-round every time they don't get promoted is not to Clough's liking as he prefers stability to build and nurture a squad.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:43 am

I think it’s what you would expect him to say. We just need to recognise everyone has their price - you, me, everyone
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 pm

The thought of him staying here for 3 years is more than we could wish for, it really does sound like he has a plan to get us in the championship like Burton, then move on like he wished he had done with them.
Forest does seem to be his retirement plan and I'm sure he would do well, I would also wish him well.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:02 pm

yorkstag wrote:I think it’s what you would expect him to say. We just need to recognise everyone has their price - you, me, everyone

I can feel a song coming on.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Clough will always have a infinity with Forest from a daddy's boy to a legend and the clubs top pre war goal scorer, Having achieved promotion to the Championship with Burton Albion
he achieved another miracle keeping them in it. Sadly the fan base left him and Chairman Ben Robinson fighting a up hill battle financially even to maintain a league 1 status.
Gates were as low as 2-700 fans in the Championship, but his loyalty to his players and the club meant he turned down the offer to manage Forest and stayed with Burton.
It was heartbreaking to see players who he signed to build a team, leaving for bigger clubs and better wages even in the same league, and this was the norm even in league 1
Mcfadzene, Irvine, Allen, Flanagan,Harness, Naylor,,Mclaughlin, Boyce, Frazer, and most signed by a fellow league 1 club, certainly a sign of the times when you have to let your best players go to a rival club in the same division, So a real learning curve as how far a fan base can get you and a lesson to what can be achieved.
One bonus with Clough he wont be dictated to and he doesn't travel well and fame he has seen it all before and its not that glamorous, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Mansfield Championship sounds possible, Premier league impossible, question how far can you go on 4-600 gates
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:26 pm

He strikes me as the kind of guy who regards loyalty from the fans and players counting for a lot.

That doesn't mean he won't be tempted to move on to a bigger club, however I think if he did it would be in a dignified way.

I think it will pay us to stand by him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Have we suddenly jumped to 2024??!!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum