{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

JIMMY KNOWLES

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: JIMMY KNOWLES

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 am

Against Kings Lynn and Oxford City. Would be putting a lot on his shoulders to come in League 2 and do a Greenie, Stanty, Greenacre and saviour of Stags. It's all down to Nigel. I'd love Jimmy to come back next season and do well. We will see.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:40 am

He's doing everything right so far in his career.
He did well in our reserves and made the first team bench, he's gone out on loan and made the bench and now starting more games and he's scored at every level given to him.
He's just turned 19, he knows what needs improving in his game and says he's working on it.
A pre season with Clough will let us know more about his future.

I'm not sure if we are having a reserve team league next season and this might decide if he stays or goes out on loan again. I'd find it very difficult to understand if he was released being so young.

Keep up the great work Jimmy, I'm right behind you.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:31 pm

He's sent out on loan to the division below to a team doing alright. There's not really much other choice of loan for him.

I guess it depends on what our plans are in the summer and how the rest of his season pans out. He plays most of the games with a good goalscoring ratio then I'd want him on the bench next season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:33 pm

for the first time one of our kids has gone on loan to a good level, is doing well and people still aren't happy!

I hope we get to safety soon and recall him and give him minutes in the league
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:for the first time one of our kids has gone on loan to a good level, is doing well and people still aren't happy!

we can't recall him now. We could only have recalled him in the transfer window.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:for the first time one of our kids has gone on loan to a good level, is doing well and people still aren't happy!

we can't recall him now. We could only have recalled him in the transfer window.

Lost count Martin just how many times on this thread you've had to say that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Seen Jimmy play many times.He has got something about him.He is a goalscorer with pace hope he stays with us next season.I would prefer him to Reid.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Agree but not sure he will be back.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:13 pm

The time at Notts will have done JK good. If he has ambition he will want to test himself at the next level with us next season. NC and his staff will be monitoring JK's progress.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 pm

I think it’s likely he’ll have another year on loan in the Conference, unless Reid of Bowery leave in the summer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I think it’s likely he’ll have another year on loan in the Conference, unless Reid of Bowery leave in the summer.

Not sure we will be relying on Bowery and Reid next season to the extent we are having to do this season.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:44 pm

oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think it’s likely he’ll have another year on loan in the Conference, unless Reid of Bowery leave in the summer.

Not sure we will be relying on Bowery and Reid next season to the extent we are having to do this season.
I agree.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:46 pm

oldweststander wrote:

No I don’t think so either, but they will be the back ups to a new front three IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:30 am

oldweststander wrote:

If we're to rely on Jamie n Jordan next season mid table again I'm afraid... at best.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:25 am

Spiritater wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

If we're to rely on Jamie n Jordan next season mid table again I'm afraid... at best.

Yeah but we won't be though, so chill.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:36 am

Spiritater wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Are we under a transfer embargo?

No?

Well looks like we have to wait until the end of this season before we sign players for next season. Who is to say that this experience Reid is getting now isn't going to fare well next season?

Players improve. Reid might play better when he isn't being marked out of the game playing the lone striker role. Honestly I think there is a good player in there but holding off 2 or 3 players on his own is asking a bit much. You expect one 5ft11 striker to hold the ball up and win headers against 2 centre backs who are 6ft2 on a consistent basis? If he had help he'd have more chance of keeping the ball. Closest he's had to a strike partner is George Lapslie who always got forward well. Rather than 2 defenders on Reid they would have Laps to deal with as well. I think Law or Sinclair are the closest we have to a Lapslie type player in an attacking sense.

Anyone watching today don't just look at Reid losing the ball, look at how he lost it. Look at what he does to rectify it. We are expecting Reid to not only lead the line on his own, once teams apply a bit of pressure he ends up being our only player in the final third so when he does win the ball and hold it up (law of averages says he's got to do it at some point) he's on his own.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

No?

Well looks like we have to wait until the end of this season before we sign players for next season. Who is to say that this experience Reid is getting now isn't going to fare well next season?

Players improve. Reid might play better when he isn't being marked out of the game playing the lone striker role. Honestly I think there is a good player in there but holding off 2 or 3 players on his own is asking a bit much. You expect one 5ft11 striker to hold the ball up and win headers against 2 centre backs who are 6ft2 on a consistent basis? If he had help he'd have more chance of keeping the ball. Closest he's had to a strike partner is George Lapslie who always got forward well. Rather than 2 defenders on Reid they would have Laps to deal with as well. I think Law or Sinclair are the closest we have to a Lapslie type player in an attacking sense.

Anyone watching today don't just look at Reid losing the ball, look at how he lost it. Look at what he does to rectify it. We are expecting Reid to not only lead the line on his own, once teams apply a bit of pressure he ends up being our only player in the final third so when he does win the ball and hold it up (law of averages says he's got to do it at some point) he's on his own.

Reid looks a much better player with Lapslie in the team.

The core squad we have now is much better than people give it credit for. If the summer sees 4-5 players added who improve on what we already have we will have a very good squad.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

No?

This is the system Clough plays, so leading the line, holding up the ball, linking up play, and scoring goals is his job. It may sound a tough ask for a lone striker but that’s the way it is for CF’s in this system.

We need much better up top next season as first choice and second choice but I imagine Reid will make up part of the squad.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 pm

Thing is though BH_Stag. There's nobody available most of the time to link up play with. That was Lapslie and they linked up well. Right now our midfield is playing deeper than it did with Lapslie in the side, which isolates Reid.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:20 pm

I'm hoping Quinn links up more with Reid when we are at full strength, seen a few times they play off each other well.
Only led to one goal so far but it was a cracker.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Notts have just signed a young striker from Bradford Park Avenue on a 2.5 year contract.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Reid scored plenty of goals at Torquay, he knows where the net is, maybe he got a better service there. Like someone said other day, he had one chance and fluffed it. Wow, one whole chance a game.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:54 am

Dan wrote:Notts have just signed a young striker from Bradford Park Avenue on a 2.5 year contract.

We signed loadsa these type of player whilst NL. Pretty much all of em never amounted to anything.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:34 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Reid scored plenty of goals at Torquay, he knows where the net is, maybe he got a better service there. Like someone said other day, he had one chance and fluffed it. Wow, one whole chance a game.

That’s one way of looking at it. The other is that he’s not made the step up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:11 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Reid scored plenty of goals at Torquay, he knows where the net is, maybe he got a better service there. Like someone said other day, he had one chance and fluffed it. Wow, one whole chance a game.

That’s one way of looking at it. The other is that he’s not made the step up.

He hasn't plain and simple, he'll be back up next season, leave on loan or go back to Torquay when they come up or leave the following year on a free

Theres other strikers in this league not getting near the minutes hes getting and scoring more and having more of an impact.

4 Goals. 2 Assists. 28 Games. 44 Shots, Goal Conversion 9%, 34% shot accuracy....

For the rest of the season I would have relied on Maynard, Know he's leaving in the summer but he's been better than Reid whilst playing 10 games less.

Id rather have Jimmy coming off our bench rather than county.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum