{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Alistair Smith joins Altrincham permanently

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Alistair Smith joins Altrincham permanently

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Class. Thats how you leave a club

Agree 100% - really classy
A good move for all parties.
I totally agree. Well done Allistair. I hope you do well and work your way back into the EFL.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 pm

Alistair Smith's finest moment for the Stags probably

(Stephen Quinn also on the video)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:36 pm

A very timely photo
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

A very timely photo

Ironic that he’s left our new signing that’s come in to replace him on his arse :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Best of luck Allistair :D Bounchbackability :D Don't stop believing your time will come :clap:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am

Good luck Alistair with your future career. All the best with your new club.Show them what you can do.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Alistair Smith

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 am

Two more 2-2 draws for Alistair Smith away at Stockport County and Sutton United gives Alistair a record at Altrincham of P11 W6 D3 L2 before he joins them permanently.

Richie Sutton is also back from his broken big toe. I never thought Richie would have a chance of a third promotion to the EFL from the National League when he joined Altrincham from Morecambe.

Mods: Can we merge this thread with the Alistair Smith signs for Altrincham thread.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Alistair Smith

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:06 am

Be interesting to follow Al's progress... or lack of it whichever the case may be. Hopefully we aren't kicking ourselves in a couple of years when he's fully matured and more experienced.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:12 am

Altrincham seem happy with the signing of Alistair Smith

What a signing - loan ace Ally's now a fully-fledged Robin!

Altrincham are delighted to announce a major transfer breakthrough after completing the signing of Alistair Smith on an 18-month deal. Just as Alty fans were anxiously wondering whether we might be able to borrow the influential Mansfield midfielder a little longer, as the final days of a highly-successful loan ticked away, behind-the-scenes negotiations were taking place to make him a Robins player on a permanent basis. They were successfully concluded this afternoon, with jubilant Alty manager Phil Parkinson able to confirm that the talented 20-year old has signed a deal that will keep him at the club until the end of next season, at least.

It is a massive coup for Parkinson that he managed to convince Smith, in the face of rising competition from rival clubs, that his career prospects would be best served at The J.Davidson Stadium after Mansfield agreed to release him. Reflecting on mission accomplished in his quest to add Smith to a squad that looks increasingly well-equipped to deal with the challenges of the Vanarama National League, the Alty boss beamed:

“I am delighted we are able to announce this after the success of Alistair's loan period with us and a number of conversations with him. He expressed a desire to sign permanently for us, and after negotiations with Mansfield, we were able to come up with an agreement to make it happen. I think everyone can see the impact Ally has had since joining us, and it would have been remiss of us not to try and sign such an exciting young talent on a permanent deal, once we knew it was possible. This yet again demonstrates the ambition of the club, even during difficult times, to make positive movements to ensure it remains and becomes successful at this level and hopefully, one day, at the one above."

Smith, a multi-talented midfielder who mixes elegance with a hard, competitive edge, arrived on an initial one-month loan from Mansfield in mid-November and made an immediate impact on his debut by going on in the 72nd minute against Aldershot and laying on a goal for Tom Peers in a 2-1 home defeat. He has since reeled off 11 league and cup starts, growing in stature with each appearance and stamping his authority on a sharp upturn in Alty’s fortunes in a division packed with big-spending full-time clubs. That was never more evident than in the recent game at Stockport County when he provided two assists, as Alty stormed back from 2-0 arrears with a stunning second-half fightback that salvaged a 2-2 draw.

Midway through that sequence of appearances, Alty requested an extension to his loan for a second month, and when it became apparent there was a possibility the arrangement could be made permanent, Parkinson wasted no time moving for a player who has settled seamlessly into the Robins dressing room and quickly become a highly-valued and popular figure at the club.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:21 am

Good Luck lad
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 am

This is a great move for Alistair. He's clearly thrived on regular first team football at Altrincham. I must admit I am surprised he has done so well. I didn't think he would be able to hold his own in a team at the top of the National League as he did not look strong enough or quick enough when playing for the Stags. The pressure generally seemed to get to him and the game would pass him by without him making much impact apart from his performance in the EFL Trophy at Burton Albion. Like all young players, he just needs a manager who believes in him and who is prepared to play him regularly. That's the only way to improve and get better.

There are hundreds of young players in Premier League and Championship U23 squads who need to drop down the league to Leagues 1, Leagues 2 and the National League.

Alistair Smith's Stags Record
League: 1(5) apps
FA Cup: 1
League Cup: 1
EFL Trophy: 7(1)
Total: 10(5) appearances and 0 goals
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am

Delighted for him. Seems to have worked hard despite rare chances in the first team and deserves his shot. Hope he makes a good career for himself.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am

Good Luck to Alistair.
Hopefully at a club where the fans are prepared to let him develop and not expect him to play like David Beckham in his prime every single minute of the day.
A lot of our fans have an appalling track record in regards to our talented young players, you only have to read this thread to get a sense of it. How on earth can some folk expect young lads to drop into the first team and play at a consistently high level from the off is beyond me, one bad touch, one bad game or even a spell in the game where they aren't effective damns them for life.
Last edited by pemill on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 pm

pemill wrote:Good Luck to Alistair.
Hopefully at a club where the fans are prepared to let him develop and not expect him to play like David Beckham in his prime every single minute of the day.
A lot of our fans have an appalling track record in regards to our talented young players, you only have to read this thread to get a sense of it. How on earth can some folk expect young lads to drop into the first team and play at a consistently high level from the off is beyond me, one bad touch, one bad game or even a spell in the game where aren't effective damns them for life.

Yep completely agree, I think he will be another Gregory and will get back into the league very soon. Good luck to him but keep this thread as I suspect in the not too distant future we may wish we'd kept him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Class. Thats how you leave a club

Agree 100% - really classy
A good move for all parties.
I totally agree. Well done Allistair. I hope you do well and work your way back into the EFL.

Totally agree. Good luck Alistair.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:56 pm

Rob wrote:
pemill wrote:Good Luck to Alistair.
A lot of our fans have an appalling track record in regards to our talented young players, you only have to read this thread to get a sense of it. How on earth can some folk expect young lads to drop into the first team and play at a consistently high level from the off is beyond me, one bad touch, one bad game or even a spell in the game where aren't effective damns them for life.

Yep completely agree, I think he will be another Gregory and will get back into the league very soon. Good luck to him but keep this thread as I suspect in the not too distant future we may wish we'd kept him.

If this does happen it will be the same fans who have said hes wasnt good enough for us and we should release him who moan that we should of kept him and "its another one through the net"
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:08 pm

I’ll admit to saying I don’t think he was good enough for our first team, but if he goes on to do well then fair play to him,
Last edited by lifestags on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:08 pm

I think you’re both missing slightly that these players develop because they’re allowed to go and play elsewhere. We’re not a club who can afford to stockpile youth players in the hope that they come good, especially a player in a position where we’re currently very strong and one who is not ‘young’ for a young player.

You also cannot hide that when he has had chances, he’s not been very good. You can caveat that by saying the chances he was given were in a poor team.

He definitely has the physical attributes to be a success, so if a good coach can improve him then there’s every chance he could come good, but it won’t be by sitting on our bench or playing in our reserves.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:10 pm

The Stags cannot afford to stockpile young players unlike in the Premier League and The Championship. Alistair Smith will be 22 in May and he's a long way off starting regularly in our first team. He's not going to get in ahead of George Maris, Ollie Clarke, George Lapslie, Harry Charsley, Stephen Quinn, James Perch etc and Nigel Clough may be looking at bringing in young loan players from the leagues above. It's the right time for Alistair and the club to move on and the club has a sell on clause.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:15 pm

The loan has been great for him, I'd have let him stay there on loan and then looked at it in the summer. There is a really good player in there and I am convinced he will return to the league. Dont forget the side he has gone to isn't that far below us and by all accounts he's ripping it up at that level. Time will tell but right now I believe we have made a mistake.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm

i’m not convinced, best move for all parties
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i’m not convinced, best move for all parties

Your never convinced unless its a big name costing big money from a league above.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:28 pm

I have been one of Alistair’s biggest critics but hope things work out for him.

There is no doubt that he has some impressive skills and can pick a really good pass a couple of times per game. On the occasions I have watched him play though, he has constantly given the ball away in dangerous areas and lacked concentration for the full duration of the time he was on the pitch. Although there isn’t a massive difference between the two levels, it is most notable in midfield and that is where he plays. I think National League is about his level but he obviously has the ability to develop the more he plays. Unfortunately our club can’t afford to give him the game time at league level to allow that development and the drop down is the correct move. Hopefully he will get the development time and eventually take the step back up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:i’m not convinced, best move for all parties

Your never convinced unless its a big name costing big money from a league above.

that’s a bit harsh, sadly i just think Smithy wasn’t cutting the mustard at our level
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm

I’m not convinced he will ever be league 2 or above, standard. It’s a good move for him and MTFC. I hope the youngster proves me wrong.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum