{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vaccinate players?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vaccinate players?

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:44 am

chip63 wrote:I'm one of the Vunerrable whose been hiding for months waiting for that magic letter to arrive,
It would not bother me one bit if all clubs provided vaccine centres with the money they saved from testing and vaccinated their players in the first hour.
I will listen to Anything that helps me and 15 million other Vunerrable people get this vaccine quicker.
Every avenue to increase the vaccinations should be debated.

I know and everybody on here knows it won't happen, I'm just saying if they did it would not bother me one bit.

You really are struggling to understand the supply issues. Just because the government claims to have bought x million vaccinations it doesn't mean they are all sat there waiting to be put in peoples arms. The problem is lack of vaccine, not lack of vaccine centres.
If 92 league clubs wanted to vaccinate all their players and support staff who come into contact with them, you would probably be looking at close to 1 million vaccines taken out of the current system. That means a delay in 1 million vulnerable people receiving theirs. It would not help you get vaccinated quicker.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:40 am

Dyche is a disgrace for even suggesting this. The Olympic call is equally repulsive. The government, as stated by Dave W, have drawn up a list of priority people. It’s not about money. It’s about vaccine availability. The concept that entertainers get jabbed before ANYONE with a clinical need is vile.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Rupert Murdoch is a US citizen and billionaire who pays no tax in this country and yet he was one of the first people to be vaccinated in December by his GP surgery in Henley in Oxfordshire. Fox News has also been supporting the anti-vaxxers.

Stanley Johnson has also been vaccinated twice despite frequently breaking lockdown restrictions and not wearing a facemask.

My Mum has been shielding on her own since March and has not heard a thing from her GP.

One rule for them...
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:45 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Dyche is a disgrace for even suggesting this. The Olympic call is equally repulsive. The government, as stated by Dave W, have drawn up a list of priority people. It’s not about money. It’s about vaccine availability. The concept that entertainers get jabbed before ANYONE with a clinical need is vile.

Its not a disgrace and its just an idea, its not actually happening is it? one that makes perfect sense. Vaccinate the players, and let the clubs donate the stupid amounts of money they spend on weekly tests to the NHS.

I can see the logic but clubs at the top level can afford to do both imo, keep testing and being sensible and donate money if they want to.

The concept isn't "that entertainers get vaccinated before anyone with a clinical need". Its to divert more money to the NHS who clearly need it. Did you not actually listen to him?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:04 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Dyche is a disgrace for even suggesting this. The Olympic call is equally repulsive. The government, as stated by Dave W, have drawn up a list of priority people. It’s not about money. It’s about vaccine availability. The concept that entertainers get jabbed before ANYONE with a clinical need is vile.

Its not a disgrace and its just an idea, its not actually happening is it? one that makes perfect sense. Vaccinate the players, and let the clubs donate the stupid amounts of money they spend on weekly tests to the NHS.

I can see the logic but clubs at the top level can afford to do both imo, keep testing and being sensible and donate money if they want to.

The concept isn't "that entertainers get vaccinated before anyone with a clinical need". Its to divert more money to the NHS who clearly need it. Did you not actually listen to him?

Have you actually read the thread ?
The issue is that the vaccine is in limited supply at the moment and is therefore being targetted at the most vulnerable. Giving it to footballers means vulnerable people having to wait longer.
Money is irrelevant at present.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Rupert Murdoch is a US citizen and billionaire who pays no tax in this country and yet he was one of the first people to be vaccinated in December by his GP surgery in Henley in Oxfordshire. Fox News has also been supporting the anti-vaxxers.

Stanley Johnson has also been vaccinated twice despite frequently breaking lockdown restrictions and not wearing a facemask.

My Mum has been shielding on her own since March and has not heard a thing from her GP.

One rule for them...

That is absolutely disgusting mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Rupert Murdoch is a US citizen and billionaire who pays no tax in this country and yet he was one of the first people to be vaccinated in December by his GP surgery in Henley in Oxfordshire. Fox News has also been supporting the anti-vaxxers.

One rule for them...

My local gp told me it would probably be middle of January before they are getting the vaccine, obviously they can't give appointment times until they get it in, I'd be surprised if she didn't hear in the next 2 weeks.
I wish your mum all the best and hope she's sorted soon.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm

spot on
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Yes, it is a disgraceful suggestion. Not one person who isn’t either vulnerable or at risk should be delayed from getting he jab before any sportsman or woman. It isn’t about money. It’s about availability of the vaccine. Money is not a factor in the vaccine roll out. It’s about availability and logistics. Give your head a shake.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:12 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Yes, it is a disgraceful suggestion. Not one person who isn’t either vulnerable or at risk should be delayed from getting he jab before any sportsman or woman. It isn’t about money. It’s about availability of the vaccine. Money is not a factor in the vaccine roll out. It’s about availability and logistics. Give your head a shake.

I agree, it was a disgraceful suggestion. Footballers are young, fit and healthy, they should be the last to be vaccinated. The list of priorities is spot on, just a shame the wealthy are managing to jump the list.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:36 pm

My wife, a care worker in a home that has had three separate covid breakouts, has had her second vaccine jab cancelled with no date yet given as to when she will eventually get it, and Sean Dyche thinks his super fit, millionaire, spoilt brat footballers should be vaccinated before the elderly and frontline workers. Two hat.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Big yella wrote:My wife, a care worker in a home that has had three separate covid breakouts, has had her second vaccine jab cancelled with no date yet given as to when she will eventually get it, and Sean Dyche thinks his super fit, millionaire, spoilt brat footballers should be vaccinated before the elderly and frontline workers. Two hat.

Quite a lot of my wife’s colleagues had their cancelled yesterday as well. They’re all on the front line working in intensive care and theatres. Really strange decision and no one knows why.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:51 pm

One rule for them...

All the above got it on age not wealth including the Queen and DOE
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:56 pm

chip63 wrote:

One rule for them...

My local gp told me it would probably be middle of January before they are getting the vaccine, obviously they can't give appointment times until they get it in, I'd be surprised if she didn't hear in the next 2 weeks.

At the moment the vaccine isn't being administered through GPs in Nottinghamshire, it is being done at 'vaccination centres' such as Kings Mill Hospital and Ashfield Health Village.
Contact will come by letter directly from the Notts CCG, not from individual GPs.
My parents are in their 80s and received a letter on Thursday. The contact phone lines are very busy and after over an hour on hold today, they have booked an appointment for tomorrow with the follow up for 2nd jab booked for March.
It's difficult for those who are waiting and shielding, but this is a massive undertaking by the NHS and will take time.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
chip63 wrote:

One rule for them...

At the moment the vaccine isn't being administered through GPs in Nottinghamshire, it is being done at 'vaccination centres' such as Kings Mill Hospital and Ashfield Health Village.
Contact will come by letter directly from the Notts CCG, not from individual GPs.
My parents are in their 80s and received a letter on Thursday. The contact phone lines are very busy and after over an hour on hold today, they have booked an appointment for tomorrow with the follow up for 2nd jab booked for March.
It's difficult for those who are waiting and shielding, but this is a massive undertaking by the NHS and will take time.

Thanks for that. Pleased parents being sorted
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Dan wrote:
Big yella wrote:My wife, a care worker in a home that has had three separate covid breakouts, has had her second vaccine jab cancelled with no date yet given as to when she will eventually get it, and Sean Dyche thinks his super fit, millionaire, spoilt brat footballers should be vaccinated before the elderly and frontline workers. Two hat.

Quite a lot of my wife’s colleagues had their cancelled yesterday as well. They’re all on the front line working in intensive care and theatres. Really strange decision and no one knows why.

The reason is clear and has been very well publicised. It makes more sense to get the first jab into as many people as possible. It’s a better idea to get two vulnerable people up to 80pc protection as opposed to one getting 95 and the other zero. I think it’s the right idea to minimise the risk to everyone

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:07 pm

The One wrote:

One rule for them...

All the above got it on age not wealth including the Queen and DOE

Now please stop that common sense. That isn’t allowed here.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dan wrote:

The reason is clear and has been very well publicised. It makes more sense to get the first jab into as many people as possible. It’s a better idea to get two vulnerable people up to 80pc protection as opposed to one getting 95 and the other zero. I think it’s the right idea to minimise the risk to everyone

Not when they’re having to deal with Covid patients every day. They’re the ones who should be getting both jabs as soon as they can. The others should be isolating at home so therefore won’t be in any immediate danger.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 pm

A property development company has just emailed GP surgeries across the country offering to buy vaccines for £5,000 each.

They even offered to pay cash direct to any nurses willing to provide them.

:oops:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:54 pm

The One wrote:All the above got it on age not wealth including the Queen and DOE

Rupert Murdoch is a US citizen. Whose strings did he pull for him to get the vaccine straight away in December?

Stanley Johnson is 80 but he got the vaccine straight away in December despite ignoring lockdown restrictions. He got his second jab 3 weeks later but his son then said everybody else had to wait 12 weeks for a second jab.

It's not what you know.....

One rule for them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
The One wrote:All the above got it on age not wealth including the Queen and DOE

Rupert Murdoch is a US citizen. Whose strings did he pull for him to get the vaccine straight away in December?

Stanley Johnson is 80 but he got the vaccine straight away in December despite ignoring lockdown restrictions. He got his second jab 3 weeks later but his son then said everybody else had to wait 12 weeks for a second jab.

It's not what you know.....

One rule for them.

The long and short of this is:
- the rule is that all over 80s get priority (and there's no preference amongst them, just a question of logistics - they don't work back from 100 - > 80).
- RM got it through his UK GP, having been told he's eligible. [I don't like RM by the way but the allegations here are wrong].
- As regards the 3 week rule it's my understanding that the Government withdrew its rule for making the change from 3 weeks to 12 weeks for those that already had their 3 week appointments.
- There is not (and never has been) any rule that healthcare is linked to legal compliance or conduct. And nor should there be. Are we suggesting that you shouldn't get the vaccine unless you certify you've met all the lockdown restrictions?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:30 pm

How does a US tax dodging billionaire get a vaccine in the UK before the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh who are older than him especially when Fox News has been supporting the anti-vaxxers?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -jabs.html

My Mum is quite happy to carry on shielding for the time being. She thinks the front line health and care workers, teachers, police and supermarket workers should receive the vaccine first.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:How does a US tax dodging billionaire get a vaccine in the UK before the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh who are older than him especially when Fox News has been supporting the anti-vaxxers?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -jabs.html

My Mum is quite happy to carry on shielding for the time being. She thinks the front line health and care workers, teachers, police and supermarket workers should receive the vaccine first.

I don't know the rules vs royalty, but I do believe they aren't prioritising within the groups and so age is not (as far as I am aware) being applied within the groups. It depends where you live (some GPs have stocks, some do not) and maybe his surname starts with M and hers with W, I don't know whether that's relevant too.

I'd agree with you on the priorities and your Mum is doing the right thing.

On Fox remember that owner of news channels often don't have editorial decisions, which they delegate to their chief editors.

At the end of the day I find it quite difficult to rationalise when people want to talk about entitlement to health treatment based on extraneous factors or conduct. That's a slippery slope I don't want to go down for lots of judgmental and societal reasons - health treatment should be based on need and fair rules, not wealth or conduct.

The same applies both ways - if he legitimately got his appointment through a regular route then that's fine - if he did not then it's wrong. He should not be 'penalised' where health is concerned, provided he's within the rules.

I'd agree though that the vaccine should not be subject to special favours for particular individuals, or payment.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Can't say fairer than that NLS, but it is a bit suspicious that the PM's father managed to get vaccinated twice whilst over 60% of his age group are yet to have one.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:27 pm

Rob wrote:Can't say fairer than that NLS, but it is a bit suspicious that the PM's father managed to get vaccinated twice whilst over 60% of his age group are yet to have one.

And do you have any evidence of wrong doing ? Or are you, as usual, just digging for political reasons?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum