{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Adam Murray

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Adam Murray

Postby Stan123 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Vale fan in peace here.

After you well and truly tonked us the other day we are looking. For a new manager and Adam Murray has been mentioned.

Thoughts? What would we expect?
Stan123
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm

We can only give an assessment from his time here which may not be reflective now in all honestly.

He went all defensive which ultimately cost him his job. Had an eye for a good player in terms of signings.

Maybe a decent spell as interim manager and assistant may have changed his philosophy
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Led us to a very respectable 12th placed finish on a relatively shoestring budget. Quite impressive when you consider he saved us from almost certain relegation the season before.

He signed Pearce, Benning and Rose who were the backbone of our team under Evans and Flitcroft. He also signed Rhys Bennett who was excellent and is still one of the best defenders in the division.

He did end up being a bit too defensive, but he has more experience now.

He was also keen on looking for an edge. My favourite was when he put the exercise bike next to the dugouts to keep players warm.

He’s also brave. He invited fans to go and meet him in his office when there was moaning and groaning on the terraces.

I’m happy with Clough, but would like to see Muzza succeed and also one day come home to the Mill.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby adamstag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Pretty much what Pear Cider said.

Played some decent attacking football to start, lost a decently big game at the time to Bristol Rovers at home 3-2 (we ended with 9, them with 10 - and despite the result was a belter of a game) and then lost his bottle sadly, to the detriment of call concerned.

It was a massive shame and rather a surprise as more of the attacking football he played would have reaped benefits. If he's learned from those mistakes he could well do a job - though if I were a Vale fan I wouldn't be so thrilled.

Probably more suited to a scouting role for me.
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8384
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Adam Murray

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:45 pm

When you look at Dempster and Coughlans stints, Murray’s tenure can be viewed as average.

Perhaps would have been given more time to build had the Radfords not befriended Steve Evans.

As well as those mentioned above, also signed Vadaine Oliver, Billy Kee, Junior Brown, Matty Blair, CJ Hamilton. I believe he also had Ben Whiteman lined up prior to his sacking and Steve Evans went ahead with the deal anyway.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm

bit risky at this point of your season, however been a few years since he was here
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:When you look at Dempster and Coughlans stints, Murray’s tenure can be viewed as average.

Perhaps would have been given more time to build had the Radfords not befriended Steve Evans.

As well as those mentioned above, also signed Vadaine Oliver, Billy Kee, Junior Brown, Matty Blair, CJ Hamilton. I believe he also had Ben Whiteman lined up prior to his sacking and Steve Evans went ahead with the deal anyway.


Can’t believe I missed Hamilton off my post!

The other lads have had good careers, but never really did it for the Stags. Blair had come good games but to injury prone
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby bux46 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Remember clearing the snow from the pitch with him when we were non league ... Sat and had a cuppa with him when we had finished and thought what a nice bloke he was ... The main thing as others have said he could pick a player .. I hope he gets your job and does well he certainly has served his time ...
User avatar
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:39 pm

I think he could do a job for you. He’s 100pc loyal and focussed.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15600
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:46 pm

I honestly think that Murray was the one we let get away. He signed some phenomenal players on a total shoestring of a budget and saved us from certain relegation. The two managers who followed spent a fortune on players yet relied on those signed by Murray as the backbone of their teams.

At the time of his sacking, our chairman was desperate for instant success and thought he could buy it with big name managers. We are still in the same league and it’s only now that we have Clough in charge that I am confident we will progress to the next level. If we had stuck with Murray and given him the same budget, I feel we would have made the progression to league one at least by now.

I have watched his time as caretaker manager at Barnsley on two occasions and each time he has left them better than when he took over. I would have welcomed him back at Mansfield before Nigel arrived and am sure that given a couple of seasons in charge of any league two club, he will get them in shape and moving forward.

So in summary no please don’t sign him as we don’t want another rival for next year’s promotion race.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3929
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Would be a decent manager for you having gained more experience now. Barnsley were not afraid to appoint him as caretaker manager twice and he did a decent job.
Very well respected at this club mainly for his playing career but he was manager here with a limited budget but found some decent players
User avatar
yellowstagsfan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:01 pm
Location: Just over border (Derbyshire)

Re: Adam Murray

Postby AlanStag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Despite there being truth in others saying he went too defensive, I would like to reiterate when he left we were never in danger of going down IMO. We were with a very slim shout to get the play offs on the last day of the season he left and Evans took over, so it shows you he didn't leave us in a bad position.

He did a decent job with the budget he had, I think he had a fairly decent budget in his final season but it was never comparable to the likes of Evans/Flitcroft's budget. The football started off well and we had some amazing games under him coming from behind to win.

I think the only mark against him was his spell at Boston which did his reputation no favours, in hindsight I think he jumped back in too soon. Since leaving Boston and going to Barnsley they have done very well with him on the coaching staff and he was in charge of the youngsters initially, many of which have broken through to the first team.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Stay clear unless his thinking has massively changed whilst at Barnsley.

Can definitely spot a player but whats the point when his chosen formation was close on 8-0-1 from the afore mentioned Bristol rovers game onwards.

His attention to detail was to totally over analyse and over think everything and then picked his teams to counter the opposition rather than play any semblance of attacking football.

Ive seen some bad managers in my 49 years following the Stags but he was the first one to make me nod off in my seat, it was abysmal and i include Dempster and Coughlan in that.

After he left us i read the Boston forum and it was a mirror image of ours, slating his miserable negative tactics and they soon got rid.

He was immense as a player for us and i hope his stint at Barnsley has totally changed his outlook, if it hasnt God help you
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Herts Stag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Looks like Parkinson doesn't like Muzza at all. The football was not as bad as that under Dempster or Coughlan they were truly disasterous appointments. Nothing could be that bad. He did a great job both times he took over the caretaker's role at Barnsley. He admitted he went too defensive and, as others have said, he did wonders on a very restricted budget and in the main without an Assistant Manager. He showed he has learned his lesson when caretaker. He was a legend as a player and his Job as manager came too soon. I think he would do you a very good job.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 pm

He was a great player for us but sadly was a poor manager, maybe his time came too soon He had a decent, competitive budget and made some great signings but despite having good players the football his side played was truly dreadful. I am sure he has learnt much from his experiences here and at Boston and by all accounts has done a good job at the Tykes. It could go either way to be honest but I really do wish him well, overall he is well liked by Stags fans.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5510
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:59 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Looks like Parkinson doesn't like Muzza at all. The football was not as bad as that under Dempster or Coughlan they were truly disasterous appointments. Nothing could be that bad. He did a great job both times he took over the caretaker's role at Barnsley. He admitted he went too defensive and, as others have said, he did wonders on a very restricted budget and in the main without an Assistant Manager. He showed he has learned his lesson when caretaker. He was a legend as a player and his Job as manager came too soon. I think he would do you a very good job.


Incorrect, loved him as the midfield general, hated his management style
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby ST4GS » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:16 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I honestly think that Murray was the one we let get away. He signed some phenomenal players on a total shoestring of a budget and saved us from certain relegation. The two managers who followed spent a fortune on players yet relied on those signed by Murray as the backbone of their teams.

At the time of his sacking, our chairman was desperate for instant success and thought he could buy it with big name managers. We are still in the same league and it’s only now that we have Clough in charge that I am confident we will progress to the next level. If we had stuck with Murray and given him the same budget, I feel we would have made the progression to league one at least by now.

I have watched his time as caretaker manager at Barnsley on two occasions and each time he has left them better than when he took over. I would have welcomed him back at Mansfield before Nigel arrived and am sure that given a couple of seasons in charge of any league two club, he will get them in shape and moving forward.

So in summary no please don’t sign him as we don’t want another rival for next year’s promotion race.

Saved us from certain relegation?
I don't remember this.
He lost 9 of the last 10 league games that season winning the other in a 6 pointer v Tranmere.
Luckily there were two or three poorer sides who could not bridge the gap despite our collapse at the business end of the season.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
User avatar
ST4GS
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm

Stan123 wrote:Vale fan in peace here.

After you well and truly tonked us the other day we are looking. For a new manager and Adam Murray has been mentioned.

Thoughts? What would we expect?


Absolute legend. He actually did well here on a shoestring budget and can certainly pick a player.

By his own admission he was too negative, but learned a lot. He was a very young man to have the manager job. I would back him to do very well now.

I'd like to have him back at Mansfield one day. Top lad.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5244
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Rigsby » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 pm

As much as I think Adam is a legend I wouldn't say he saved us from certain relegation. When Cox went in mid November we were 7 points clear of the relegation zone.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Bradders » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:57 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I honestly think that Murray was the one we let get away. He signed some phenomenal players on a total shoestring of a budget and saved us from certain relegation. The two managers who followed spent a fortune on players yet relied on those signed by Murray as the backbone of their teams.

At the time of his sacking, our chairman was desperate for instant success and thought he could buy it with big name managers. We are still in the same league and it’s only now that we have Clough in charge that I am confident we will progress to the next level. If we had stuck with Murray and given him the same budget, I feel we would have made the progression to league one at least by now.

I have watched his time as caretaker manager at Barnsley on two occasions and each time he has left them better than when he took over. I would have welcomed him back at Mansfield before Nigel arrived and am sure that given a couple of seasons in charge of any league two club, he will get them in shape and moving forward.

So in summary no please don’t sign him as we don’t want another rival for next year’s promotion race.

Saved us from certain relegation?
I don't remember this.
He lost 9 of the last 10 league games that season winning the other in a 6 pointer v Tranmere.
Luckily there were two or three poorer sides who could not bridge the gap despite our collapse at the business end of the season.

I agree. It was billed as "saving us from relegation" but it was a terrible run of results and he only just got away with it. I wasn't a fan of his management style, he appeared to overthink it a lot and the team seemed to get bogged down in tactics. But there's no doubting his honesty and commitment and maybe he's acquired more nous since he was with us. He can certainly spot a good prospect.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:13 pm

Given a decent budget I think he would do a good job. He did a better job than the Scottish turd and flop.
wardy12345
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:27 am

Re: Adam Murray

Postby part time pete » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:35 pm

adamstag wrote:Pretty much what Pear Cider said.

Played some decent attacking football to start, lost a decently big game at the time to Bristol Rovers at home 3-2 (we ended with 9, them with 10 - and despite the result was a belter of a game) and then lost his bottle sadly, to the detriment of call concerned.

It was a massive shame and rather a surprise as more of the attacking football he played would have reaped benefits. If he's learned from those mistakes he could well do a job - though if I were a Vale fan I wouldn't be so thrilled.

Probably more suited to a scouting role for me.


I think the game finished 1-2 not 2-3

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=759
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm

Adam Murray

Adam Murray - 176(11) league appearances for the Stags and 25 goals in three spells for the Stags from 2002-2015. The majority of these appearances were in the National League after 2010. A battling skillful midfield player. Captain Fantastic under Paul Cox. He helped get the Stags back in the Football League in 2012-2013 by sheer will power at times.

The following season he became Assistant Manager but then fell out with Paul Cox. He could have gone on loan to a National League club but chose to go on loan to local Step 5 non-league side, Rainworth Miners Welfare who played in the Northern Counties East League. He then went to play for Worksop Town in the Northern Premier League. Some fans argue that he did this on purpose to make a point and put pressure on Paul Cox. Micky Moore (now Head of Recruitment at Cheltenham) helped to build bridges between them and Adam Murray returned to play for the club with the Stags finishing in 11th place in their first season back in League 2. Paul Cox was sacked in November the following season and Adam Murray was appointed caretaker manager and then given the job permanently ahead of other candidates such as James Beattie and Colin Calderwood.

Paul Cox and Adam Murray did well to keep the Stags in the league in 2014-2015 with a very low playing budget. The playing budget was cut from around £1.6 million to £800,000. Micky Moore was Adam Murray's assistant manager and he describes it as his finest achievement in football. The Stags were 19th when he took over as manager and we finished 21st. The Stags had a better record under Paul Cox for the first 17 games. The Stags were arguably lucky to stay up as we lost eight of our last nine games and only finished up with 48 points. The game we did win was a 1-0 home win against Tranmere Rovers who along with Cheltenham were terrible that season and ended up being relegated.

Adam Murray did a great job in 2015-2016 to finish 12th in League 2 with a similar low playing budget of around £800,000-£1,000,000 which was one of the lowest in League 2. We were challenging for the play offs for most of the season. Adam Murray was sacked the following season in November 2016 when the Stags were 22nd (P16 W4 D7 L5) after a 4-0 away defeat at Portsmouth when the Stags had two players sent off in the 2nd half. He was replaced by Steve Evans. He had a decent record away from home but paid the price for “dull defensive home performances”.

The playing budget at Mansfield was drastically increased when Steve Evans arrived and increased even further under David Flitcroft. Steve Evans and David Flitcroft's best players were signed by Adam Murray - Krystian Pearce, Rhys Bennett, Mal Benning, CJ Hamilton, Danny Rose

Total Wages for Club (including non playing staff)
2011-2012: £1,344,256 (Paul Cox finished 3rd in National League)
2012-2013: £2,328,070 (Paul Cox won National League)
2013-2014: £2,071,080 (Paul Cox finished 11th in League 2)
2014-2015: £1,486,334 (Paul Cox and Adam Murray finished 21st in League 2)
2015-2016: £1,464,626 (Adam Murray finished 12th in League 2)
2016-2017: £1,884,466 (Adam Murray/Steve Evans finished 12th in League 2)
2017-2018: £3,762,389 (Estimated)* (Steve Evans/David Flitcroft finished 8th in League 2)
2018-2019: £5,015,644 (Estimated)** (David Flitcroft finished 4th in League 2)
2019-2020: £5,706,953 (Estimated)*** (John Dempster/Graham Coughlan finished 21st in League 2)

* = £1,600,221 for 6 months from 1st July to 31st December 2017 + £2,162,168 (50% of total wages for year ended 31st December 2018).
** = £2,162,168 (50% of total wages for year ended 31st December 2018) + £2,853,476 (50% of total wages for year ended 31st December 2019)
*** = Total wages for year ended 31st December 2019

Adam Murray's Win Rate was 31.9%
2014-2015 P29 W8 D5 L16 (21st)
2015-2016 P46 W17 D13 L16 (12th)
2016-2017 P16 W4 D7 L5 (15th)
Total: P81 W29 D25 L37

Adam Murray likes to analyse games and to look for ways to improve performance. He has done well as a coach at Barnsley. If he can learn from his mistakes at the Stags then there is no reason why he could not do well. He does not take criticism well though and can be a bit prickly and over sensitive. The Vale fans can be a tough crowd.

Players Signed By Adam Murray

2014-2015
Junior Brown (initial loan)
Ricky Ravenhill
Michael Raynes
Matty Blair
Billy Kee (loan)
Callum Elder (loan)
Adam Smith (loan)
Lenny Pidgeley (loan)
Jeffrey Monakana (loan)
Terry Hawkridge (loan)

2015-2016
Adam Chapman
Mitchell Rose
Matt Green
Mal Benning
Nathan Thomas
Adi Yussuf
Chris Beardsley
Lee Collins
Craig Westcarr
Nicky Hunt
Scott Shearer
Brian Jensen
Krystian Pearce
James Baxendale
Blair Adams (loan)
Daniel Alfei (loan)
James Caton (loan)
Junior Daniel (loan)
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe (loan)
Sean Kavanagh (loan)
Cain Smith (loan)

2016-2017
George Taft
Ashley Hemmings
Rhys Bennett
Pat Hoban
CJ Hamilton
Kevan Hurst
Danny Rose
Oscar Gobern
Darius Henderson
Kyle Howkins (loan)
Alex Iacovitti (loan)
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 pm

Nathan Thomas, another great find.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Adam Murray

Postby The One » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:37 pm

You have too much time on your hands TTF
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12188
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave Wayne, gazza1988, James, marker_mtfc95, oldweststander, one f in mansfield and 32 guests