{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Player.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm

chip63 wrote:A good defensive workout, I'm sure they learned more today than any of the pre covid training sessions.
I'm sure stetch would be allowed to practice kicking the ball to a player past the halfway line, it really is something that needs addressing.
Well played Cheltenham.

Non Stech is one we need to replace if we want to progress next year, along with others.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21830
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:47 pm

BilsthorpeStag wrote:In defense of Reid, as a club, it was well worth a punt on a player with such a good goal scoring record from a lower league.

I see him as a CJ Hamilton - work in progress, give him a season or two to adapt to this league. However for some reason we're expecting him to be one of our main striker straightaway. As soon as Cook and Maynard are gone, I expect Cloughie has a new striker lined up who will replace Reid. This season is all about survival both on and off the pitch.

Must also be hard for a young lad to move up North during a national pandemic having lived in the SW all his life.

My worry is that Reid could be a similar punt on a lower league player just like Ollie Palmer was!


Another one who seems to think Reid is a young lad!!!!! He's twenty bleeding six and you want to give him another season or two to adapt, so he'll be 28 and still back on his heels trying to trap the bag of sand, give me strength
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 pm

CJ Hamilton and Ollie Palmer were 21 when we signed them. Both have developed into proven L2 players and are now plying their trade in L1.

Reid is 26 and has a return of 1 goal in every 10 appearances. He isn’t a development project, he should be in his prime
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:57 pm

What a great thread this has ended up being.
We are a team in transition under a new manager, have just played our 3rd game in 8 days, without our captain, our most experienced player, and our top scorer from last season, against a team riding high in the league who haven't played for 12 days, and we have managed to take them to extra time, yet people have turned it into a witch hunt against half the team.
At a quick scan through I can see people slagging off Stech, O'Driscoll, McLaughlin, Charsley and Reid. Feel free to let me know if I missed anybody.
We all want to see positive performances and results, but just remember these are the same players who have just won 3 straight games in the league and dragged themselves away from the relegation places.
It's not very often I am in agreement with belly, but I do sometimes wonder how some people on here think that what they are doing can be classed as supporting the team. Any player reading this thread would be totally demoralised.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 pm

I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?


It is in Wayne's world. :lol: :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:36 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?

"waste of a shirt"
"liability"
"woeful"
"terrible"
"man down with him on the pitch"

You don't consider any of that to be slagging off our players ?
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?

Charlsey was described as a useless idiot and look at some of the comments about Reid.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:What a great thread this has ended up being.
We are a team in transition under a new manager, have just played our 3rd game in 8 days, without our captain, our most experienced player, and our top scorer from last season, against a team riding high in the league who haven't played for 12 days, and we have managed to take them to extra time, yet people have turned it into a witch hunt against half the team.
At a quick scan through I can see people slagging off Stech, O'Driscoll, McLaughlin, Charsley and Reid. Feel free to let me know if I missed anybody.
We all want to see positive performances and results, but just remember these are the same players who have just won 3 straight games in the league and dragged themselves away from the relegation places.
It's not very often I am in agreement with belly, but I do sometimes wonder how some people on here think that what they are doing can be classed as supporting the team. Any player reading this thread would be totally demoralised.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby daddycool » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?

"waste of a shirt"
"liability"
"woeful"
"terrible"
"man down with him on the pitch"

You don't consider any of that to be slagging off our players ?


Some are only in their element when they are insulting players .
daddycool
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:What a great thread this has ended up being.
We are a team in transition under a new manager, have just played our 3rd game in 8 days, without our captain, our most experienced player, and our top scorer from last season, against a team riding high in the league who haven't played for 12 days, and we have managed to take them to extra time, yet people have turned it into a witch hunt against half the team.
At a quick scan through I can see people slagging off Stech, O'Driscoll, McLaughlin, Charsley and Reid. Feel free to let me know if I missed anybody.
We all want to see positive performances and results, but just remember these are the same players who have just won 3 straight games in the league and dragged themselves away from the relegation places.
It's not very often I am in agreement with belly, but I do sometimes wonder how some people on here think that what they are doing can be classed as supporting the team. Any player reading this thread would be totally demoralised.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly.


I agree when the comments are made on the more extreme side.
I do however think it’s perfectly fair to comment on players’ performances and (for instance) to say that I would prefer Cook to Reid. We have to be able to have opinions but just ought to express them respectfully.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm

yorkstag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the term ‘slagging off’ is a bit strong.

It’s not unreasonable for fans to discuss the performance of the players is it?

Charlsey was described as a useless idiot and look at some of the comments about Reid.

Forgot to include that one !!
Same 'useless idiot' that has scored 4 goals for us so far this season, and been rated over 8/10 in the last 2 games by both Martin Shaw, and the fans ratings that eggy compiles.
If a player has a bad game or makes a mistake then it's fine to make comment, but there is no need for the abuse that is thrown about on here about our own players.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm

We may have lost the match today and without question Cheltenham were by far the better side and their style of play made them a very tough outfit . However I do think there were some very good hardworking performances today considering our heavy schedule. The players don’t deserve criticism for today as far as I’m concerned they deserved a lot of credit .
CassellsCap
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:17 pm

I think the useless idiot comment was made immediately after they scored. I agree that it’s an unreasonable comment, but the context suggests it was born of frustration as opposed to being a personal jibe.

The other comments were no different to what has been said after nearly every game and is just typical football fan parlance.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I think the useless idiot comment was made immediately after they scored. I agree that it’s an unreasonable comment, but the context suggests it was born of frustration as opposed to being a personal jibe.

The other comments were no different to what has been said after nearly every game and is just typical football fan parlance.

Frustration when we are at games leads many of us to mutter, or even sometimes shout out things such as the 'useless idiot' comment.
Actually typing it out on an internet forum gives you time to think about it before you click 'submit'. For somebody to do that and decide it is ok to proceed, it then becomes abusive. It is no longer 'heat of the moment' when you have had that bit of thinking time.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Maybe you are right Dave. I'm not sure I completely agree with you though, because many people have become rehearsed in commenting immediately on forums like twitter etc and you can see similar traits on this board regularly.

Either way, Charsley has been one of our better players this season and has earned a bit of slack in my opinion.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:40 pm

I thought Jamie Reid was better than Jordan Bowery today but both had poor games along with Lapslie, Charsley and McLoughlin (apart from goal). We didn't really offer an attacking threat apart from the 3rd minute and the first half of extra time.

Let's see if we can make it four league wins on the trot against Oldham. That would be the result of the season if we can pull that off. We have not won at Boundary Park since 1961.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:49 pm

I’m not trying to open up the whole stats debate again, but Lapslie was one of our better performers when measuring passes, touches and interceptions. His heat map also shows how much running he did today.

I don’t think he played poorly, just that he didn’t stand out as much as usual.

On the other hand, Reid led the team in the possession lost category, with nine. I think that stat pretty much sums his game up. That and giving soft fouls away which let them get out of their defensive third on numerous occasions. He commuted 6 of the teams 10 total fouls
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought Jamie Reid was better than Jordan Bowery today but both had poor games along with Lapslie, Charsley and McLoughlin (apart from goal). We didn't really offer an attacking threat apart from the 3rd minute and the first half of extra time.

Let's see if we can make it four league wins on the trot against Oldham. That would be the result of the season if we can pull that off. We have not won at Boundary Park since 1961.


What about April 1978 in The Championship in today's terms????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6858
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:53 pm

I don't know what it's like to have AIDS like ME but I assume it's like watching us take the lead after 5 min and then defending for almost 2 hours, Christ watching today was riddled like owd Freddie Mercury
Next PYHBO! Issue due first game back.

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
User avatar
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 am

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought Jamie Reid was better than Jordan Bowery today but both had poor games along with Lapslie, Charsley and McLoughlin (apart from goal). We didn't really offer an attacking threat apart from the 3rd minute and the first half of extra time.

Let's see if we can make it four league wins on the trot against Oldham. That would be the result of the season if we can pull that off. We have not won at Boundary Park since 1961.


What about April 1978 in The Championship in today's terms????


You are right Rich. I'd forgotten about 1978. It gives us a little more hope :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought Jamie Reid was better than Jordan Bowery today but both had poor games along with Lapslie, Charsley and McLoughlin (apart from goal). We didn't really offer an attacking threat apart from the 3rd minute and the first half of extra time.

Let's see if we can make it four league wins on the trot against Oldham. That would be the result of the season if we can pull that off. We have not won at Boundary Park since 1961.


By eck was a cold night to forget last season there
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Newport eh. Pens.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21830
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:57 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I’m not trying to open up the whole stats debate again, but Lapslie was one of our better performers when measuring passes, touches and interceptions. His heat map also shows how much running he did today.

I don’t think he played poorly, just that he didn’t stand out as much as usual.

On the other hand, Reid led the team in the possession lost category, with nine. I think that stat pretty much sums his game up. That and giving soft fouls away which let them get out of their defensive third on numerous occasions. He commuted 6 of the teams 10 total fouls


Thing is the FA Player brought stats up (he loved em) on who the top 5 players were with the most touches in the opponents penalty area for both teams was. None were stags and at one point in the 2nd half (I think) the lowest on the list was 3 touches. Every time it was shown it was all Cheltenham.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7356
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 am

I think it was Will Boyle, Cheltenham's centre half, who had most touches in the opposition's penalty area. Mainly headers from corners and long throws.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8150
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain Cunno, IAmTheStag, lifestags, Paulstag, Scothie the Stag, steve-o, teg41 and 34 guests