{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Player.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Sunday live on the FA Play

Postby 1970Stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm

If I had a £1 for every criticism of Reid, I'd be a very rich man. I'm pretty sure he's going nowhere, so you'd better get used to him. Maynard is injured/leaving, Cook is ineffective, Jimmy is on loan in the Conference, that leaves Reid and Bowery, with maybe a new face coming in on loan? To free up wages, I'm pretty sure Cook and Maynard will be 2 of the 3 leaving.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:51 pm

We missed Clarke in midfield and Perch's calmness at the back. Added to this, the players who have been so good during the recent decent run, didnt play well today - Bowery, Charsley and Lapslie.

I'm disappointed to miss out on an excellent opportunity to progress to Round 4 and the potential that brings, but aI'm not going to lose too much sleep. We will see a different team on Weds at Oldham.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Not much to discuss really... Cheltenham were by far the better team and deservedly won... Ref was abit toss... Onto getting 3 points on weds
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Field Mill » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm

This was forseeable. A good side who have been together for two years, manager who is in his third year with the group and they went close last season. It was as lways a shocking draw for us, truly dreadful. I couldn't believe how many on here were happy with it. We are nowhere near ready for games like today. I'd have loved a pay day (TV money only, I know) and to have gone out with a bang against a name but we have to settle for death we ith out the glory.
Cloughie has done wonders with this squad to date but today underlines the task ahead. We're a mile off challenging. I'm expecting five or six in and the same out over the coming months.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lancer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:14 pm

My look on this is, yes it would have been nice to progress and get the few extra quid, however the one and only reason fans want a good cup run is to draw a big name out of the hat and have a great day out. As this can’t happen, there is virtually no point, like I said, except for the money,
Can you imagine if we would have drawn Man U ect. or Even Forest away ? I would be devastated. Let’s get this season finished, NC get some players in and look forward to seeing the Stags hopefully do well next season
COYS
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby northern stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Awful sub performance by O'Driscoll who kept giving the ball away and who looked knackered.

I’m glad somebody else noticed this, he looked injured or disinterested or both, never seen someone labour so much 10 minutes after coming on....very odd
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
lifestags wrote:Really frustrating at going out here, that game shows we need our squad adding too, I might sound harsh but if players like Maynard dont want to be here then they need to hurry up and raspberry off, all game we struggled with their set pieces and throw ins, its like we just couldnt do anything about it. We didnt impose ourself the game after we scored at all, we needed loads more from our forward players today, the ball just kept coming back all the time, Reid is so inconsistent, hell play really well 1 in 5 and it just isnt good enough. We got bossed in Midfield today hardly won any second balls at all we really missed Clarke. Hoping some players are added before our next league game, im not sure why there has been a delay until after this game but its cost us today.

Where does this bull come from again and again on this forum ?
Why do people think he doesn't want to be here ?
Any evidence to support this ?
The manager tells us he is injured. Why would he lie ?
Maynard is the best striker we have, and one of the best in the division as proven by his goal tally over the previous 2 seasons.
Aren't we supposed to be supporters ?

Must agree Dave re Maynard.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:27 pm

northern stag wrote:Awful sub performance by O'Driscoll who kept giving the ball away and who looked knackered.

I’m glad somebody else noticed this, he looked injured or disinterested or both, never seen someone labour so much 10 minutes after coming on....very odd

He's a central defender and a poor one at that, if he's ever played in midfield before it didn't show today, awful, one to let go.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:30 pm

oldweststander wrote:
northern stag wrote:Awful sub performance by O'Driscoll who kept giving the ball away and who looked knackered.

He's a central defender and a poor one at that, if he's ever played in midfield before it didn't show today, awful, one to let go.

He’s been a defender or midfielder all his career, so the position is not alien to him. He gave the ball away quite a lot but so did every other player today.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 pm

be interesting listening to Cloughie post match interview
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:41 pm

We did ok in short spurts... but Cheltenham were by far the better side.. we had no midfield and as for Reid I’m at a loss with him surely recalling knowles back from Clounty would be a good option,having Reid in the side is like playing with ten men...
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Looked like he was blowing out his backside from the minute he came on ... one of the players on his way I’d imagine..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:48 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:be interesting listening to Cloughie post match interview

He was pleased, said his team gave everything.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:57 pm

In defense of Reid, as a club, it was well worth a punt on a player with such a good goal scoring record from a lower league.

I see him as a CJ Hamilton - work in progress, give him a season or two to adapt to this league. However for some reason we're expecting him to be one of our main striker straightaway. As soon as Cook and Maynard are gone, I expect Cloughie has a new striker lined up who will replace Reid. This season is all about survival both on and off the pitch.

Must also be hard for a young lad to move up North during a national pandemic having lived in the SW all his life.

My worry is that Reid could be a similar punt on a lower league player just like Ollie Palmer was!
BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Conker wrote:No complaints, we haven’t been good enough and looked tired compared to a energetic Cheltenham side.

Cheltenham haven’t played for 12 days whereas we have played 3 in that time. They should look fresher..
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

interesting how he replied to Stevo ref new bodies in for Oldham, just commented on our injuries not new players :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Sedgwick wrote:It'll work on any smart TV by the way

I've got it working through the Xbox, super clear HD.... Multiple cameras, this is far far far better than ifollow

It was a full TV broadcast, with two large trucks in the car park, like you'd get for a Sky or BT Sport game. It will have cost the FA a small fortune to put that on.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Wasn’t the best draw for us in the first place but was a decent chance to progress for some hope this season
Overall would rather win the Oldham game next week as cup this season is not that important esp as nobody can see a big game anyway in the flesh
Agree Reid is a poor signing as a main striker and needs games in National league maybe and could develope
Hope Nigel has some announcements on some players soon
Yes Clarke is a big miss today
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

interesting how he replied to Stevo ref new bodies in for Oldham, just commented on our injuries not new players :lol:

Also commented on worst officials he had seen
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:13 pm

I doubt its going to matter much if Maynard is fit or not on Wednesday. Cloughie seems absolutely intent on starting with Reid regardless, so i'm not sure why he mentioned him 2 or 3 times post match.
He obviously seems something in him that's sailing over most of our heads (a bit like the ball)
There's no doubt he works hard and has improved a little but his decision making during the game is like he's never played the game before.
In the last 2 or 3 games, every time we have had a break on goal and he has been the supporting player, he has run into the back of the defender, leaving the Stags player in possession no outlet.
I doubt Michael Duff had him marked down on his pre match tactics board as a goal threat, and he would be right. And when he plays as our main no 9 , that's an issue.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Gave everything we had under the circumstances . That's all we can ask
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 pm

A good defensive workout, I'm sure they learned more today than any of the pre covid training sessions.
I'm sure stetch would be allowed to practice kicking the ball to a player past the halfway line, it really is something that needs addressing.
Well played Cheltenham.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:It'll work on any smart TV by the way

I've got it working through the Xbox, super clear HD.... Multiple cameras, this is far far far better than ifollow

It was a full TV broadcast, with two large trucks in the car park, like you'd get for a Sky or BT Sport game. It will have cost the FA a small fortune to put that on.

Oh yeah no doubt. But you'd be surprised how little it would take to improve iFollow.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Must admit I was very surprised that May ended up at Cheltenham as he was a good player at Donny.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Another thing to remember, if that was a league game it would have been a very good point, albeit undeserved.

You mean a bit like we did earlier in the season when Coughlan was the manager.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum