{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lapslie

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Lapslie

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:53 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Lapslie

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Sign him up now!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:05 pm

The wage cap might make this window unusual.
Some clubs will want to offload players. If they are above the ‘average’ of the wage cap they could be difficult to move on (player won’t want to take a drop in wages). Or like here clubs want to move players that are surplus to requirements to free up wage cap capacity. They can’t afford to demand a fee and risk no one bites and then they can’t bring anyone in.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Would have thought there will be a host of League 2 clubs in for him now.

If Charlton were looking for a fee in January hoping to cash in what they can then that may have put a lot of clubs off going in for him until the summer when they could have got him on a free - that way we could have kept him for the season. If they’re going to let him go on a free now then I can’t see him being here for the season.

Hopefully I’m wrong.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm

BH Stag - as he’s on a free then presumably it’s all down to who he wants to play for and who is willing to pay him most. It’s possible that one of the top teams could use a promotion bonus to bring him in.
We could offer him a bonus for FA cup
Progression, I’d expect, if we can sign him before then.
Would make the Cheltenham game a massive one for him.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:12 pm

If Charlton are wanting to move him on because of the salary cap, then I would conclude it must mean they are currently paying some of his wages, and that's why they want to get him fully off the wage bill.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:If Charlton are wanting to move him on because of the salary cap, then I would conclude it must mean they are currently paying some of his wages, and that's why they want to get him fully off the wage bill.

That’s a good point. Do you know if he is out of contract in the summer?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Hope stags are printing a contract out for laps and getting the pens out ready

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:

:drummer: :guitar: :mexican_wave: :mexican_wave: :drummer: :guitar:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby NIGEL » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:24 pm

He played the first 3 league games this season for Charlton in EFL1. Have the rules changed this season in the EFL? If not, I don't think he can play for anyone else this season in the EFL. Someone else may have a better knowledge of this seasons rules?
NIGEL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jimstag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:27 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:If Charlton are wanting to move him on because of the salary cap, then I would conclude it must mean they are currently paying some of his wages, and that's why they want to get him fully off the wage bill.

The question is whether he is above ours as well?!
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:28 pm

I’ve found this on google

Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:29 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

That’s a good point. Do you know if he is out of contract in the summer?

He is, yes
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:32 pm

100% Charlton Tweet - "Let's be honest - Lapslie was never going to be a starter & when promoted never going to get near the squad. Sandgaard has bigger and better expectations than previous owners so hopefully we see some real quality coming through the door when we go up! Good luck George!"

I cannot imagine that there are many teams in Leagues 1 and 2 who can afford to pay big wages at the moment. Lapslie is therefore better off staying on loan at the Stags and picking up his Charlton wages until the end of the season. He will then be in a better position to negotiate a post vaccine/lockdown contract in the summer.

Just "Chill at the Mill" George and enjoy the rest of the season with Nigel Clough. You are playing every week in the EFL and that is the best thing for your development as a young player.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Would love to keep him here, always wondered what happens with players families when they come on loan to us? Lapslie mentioned he’s just had a new born so would imagine His family made the move with him? I think it would make the difference if a team like Colchester came in.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I’ve found this on google

Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.

That rule was relaxed last season because of project restart. I am not sure if the relaxation applies to this season as well.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:I’ve found this on google

That rule was relaxed last season because of project restart. I am not sure if the relaxation applies to this season as well.

FIFA announced in June 2020 that the rule would be relaxed for the 2020/2021 season. There is a temporary exemption within the FIFA Rules which disapplies the two club rule for the 2020/2021 season.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:50 pm

He is one of those rare things at Mansfield, a loan midfielder that everyone wants to keep. I really hope he signs for us permanently
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:100% Charlton Tweet - "Let's be honest - Lapslie was never going to be a starter & when promoted never going to get near the squad. Sandgaard has bigger and better expectations than previous owners so hopefully we see some real quality coming through the door when we go up! Good luck George!"

I cannot imagine that there are many teams in Leagues 1 and 2 who can afford to pay big wages at the moment. Lapslie is therefore better off staying on loan at the Stags and picking up his Charlton wages until the end of the season. He will then be in a better position to negotiate a post vaccine/lockdown contract in the summer.

Just "Chill at the Mill" George and enjoy the rest of the season with Nigel Clough. You are playing every week in the EFL and that is the best thing for your development as a young player.

Agreed. But he takes the risk of a bad injury or a run of bad form and then he’s in a precarious position. He may prefer the certainty of a 2.5 year contract now.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:56 pm

SIGN HIM ASAP
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:18 pm

I think he is more likely to sign for us now Nigel Clough is manager.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:43 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:100% Charlton Tweet - "Let's be honest - Lapslie was never going to be a starter & when promoted never going to get near the squad. Sandgaard has bigger and better expectations than previous owners so hopefully we see some real quality coming through the door when we go up! Good luck George!"

Agreed. But he takes the risk of a bad injury or a run of bad form and then he’s in a precarious position. He may prefer the certainty of a 2.5 year contract now.

If only we knew someone who could insure against injuries?.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I think he would get in most teams in 1 and 2 so I would think he will have a few interested
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:31 pm

He'd be daft not to sign. He knows we're a club with potential to move up the leagues, with a great manager he can learn from and where he's already playing the best football of his career. Taking a bigger wage to go higher up the leagues would be a risk, as he might not reproduce his form or get game time. The only real argument against a permanent move might be geography. He's a London buy and that's a big commitment to make.
Last edited by ParisStag on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:38 pm

The Charlton website said he approached the manager for a loan so he could get more game time. It would therefore be odd if he went back up to a league One to be back on the bench.
He wouldn’t necessarily get straight into many League One teams. Charlton are 6th in League One and have offered him a free transfer.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:44 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:Agreed. But he takes the risk of a bad injury or a run of bad form and then he’s in a precarious position. He may prefer the certainty of a 2.5 year contract now.

How many League 1 or 2 clubs are in a position now to hand out a 2.5 year contract on similar wages to what he is getting at Charlton? There cannot be many and Charlton clearly do not think he is good enough for a team challenging for promotion in League 1. In fact, there will be lots of clubs reluctant to commit to long term contracts. I think there will be a lot of short term deals with options for the club or player to extend if certain conditions are satisfied.

If George can get a good deal then good luck to him. The same to all other lower league players.

I'm surprised JR and David Sharpe let GC sign so many players on 2 year contracts.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum