{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lapslie

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lapslie

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:Agreed. But he takes the risk of a bad injury or a run of bad form and then he’s in a precarious position. He may prefer the certainty of a 2.5 year contract now.

How many League 1 or 2 clubs are in a position now to hand out a 2.5 year contract on similar wages to what he is getting at Charlton? There cannot be many and Charlton clearly do not think he is good enough for a team challenging for promotion in League 1. In fact, there will be lots of clubs reluctant to commit to long term contracts. I think there will be a lot of short term deals with options for the club or player to extend if certain conditions are satisfied.

If George can get a good deal then good luck to him. The same to all other lower league players.

I'm surprised JR and David Sharpe let GC sign so many players on 2 year contracts.

You are sort of making an assumption he’ll get paid the same as Charlton though if he signed a deal now.

He may have to weigh up the options of a new longer deal at a wage cap salary, as against taking the higher wages for 6 months and then taking his chances in the summer, not knowing how his form will be in the meantime. Or perhaps ‘Charlton wages’ until the summer and then wage cap wages afterwards.

I said 2.5 years because my understanding is most clubs and players run contracts to season end. No one wants a player to be out of contract mid season. I agree it could be 1.5 years (or anything else that’s agreed).
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:02 pm

All players need to weigh up wages, length of contract, location, family/personal issues, manager, style of play, chance of starting regularly etc when deciding to make a move.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Not sure whether the news is good or not. Good in terms of him being available but bad in terms of alerting other clubs and possibly a more desirable club closer to home.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I’m sure Charlton would be amenable to a separation fee to soften any reduction in wages. Charslie must understand the salary cap and going to L2 might mean a lower wage. Job security is always important.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:50 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’m sure Charlton would be amenable to a separation fee to soften any reduction in wages. Charslie must understand the salary cap and going to L2 might mean a lower wage. Job security is always important.

Who’s to say he’ll be going to L2?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’m sure Charlton would be amenable to a separation fee to soften any reduction in wages. Charslie must understand the salary cap and going to L2 might mean a lower wage. Job security is always important.

Well, of course I was presupposing that we were going to offer him a deal.

This country.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Well, of course I was presupposing that we were going to offer him a deal.

This country.

I know you were. My point was I can see him having options in L1.

I don’t think his wages would be that high to be honest, can’t see that being an issue for us.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm

About me
Bermuda
Chicago
My Blogger Archive
Ten Years
Travelogue
George Lapslie to make move permanent
by ChicagoAddick on December 28, 2020

According the Rich Cawley, Charlton have cleared the way for George Lasplie to make his move to Mansfield Town permanent. There will be no fee.

George has really impressed at The Stags playing in 16 league and cup games scoring 5 from a defensive midfield position.

It’ll be sad to see him go, and I don’t know if he’d get ahead of the midfielders Bow has at his disposal, but for sure we miss his energy, and perhaps more importantly his ability to come on near the end of games to help preserve point(s). Would I rather a Lapslie than a Gilbey right now? I’d say yes.

The 23-year old joined the Addicks as a 10-year old, and he absolutely deserves his chance to play regularly, and there is no harm in going backwards to move forwards, and that could be at Mansfield under Nigel Clough.

Lapslie’s current contract expires in June, and his departure will give that suffocating salary cap more wriggle room.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Maybe it's a done deal, or close to. Clough did say 2/3 out and 3/4 in. Technically he could be 1 in, also technically he'd be 1 out as well :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm

The world of wisdom that is Salary Sport states that George Lapslie is only on £840 per week compared to Jake Forster-Caskey's £6,100 per week and Darren Pratley's £5,400 per week.

Give him a pay rise and sign him up!! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The world of wisdom that is Salary Sport states that George Lapslie is only on £840 per week compared to Jake Forster-Caskey's £6,100 per week and Darren Pratley's £5,400 per week.

Give him a pay rise and sign him up!! :lol:

I’d guess £1000-£2000.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:43 pm

George Lapslie is not going to be costing Charlton huge amounts for Salary Cap purposes because they can deduct any loan payments received from Mansfield.

If they have reached their maximum of 22 over 21 players then they could apply to deregister Lapslie from their Squad List for salary cap purposes. They would then no longer have to include his future salary in any salary cap calculations. I'm sure the Southend Chairman said that clubs could have one in one out for their registered Squad List once they have reached they have reached the maximum number of players.

Charlton can also breach the salary cap rules and just pay the Overrun Tax. A wealthy League 1 club might decide to do this if they have chance of promotion because their is a significant increase in EFL funding from League 1 to the Championship.

"Salary" includes any "compromise, redundancy or settlement payment made to the Salary Cap Player" but does not include "any severance payment due to the Player in accordance with clause 19.2 of the Standard Contract".

I'm not sure what Clause 19.2 is. It might be the player's right to receive an additional month's salary after their contract has expired.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:George Lapslie is not going to be costing Charlton huge amounts for Salary Cap purposes because they can deduct any loan payments received from Mansfield.

If they have reached their maximum of 22 over 21 players then they could apply to deregister Lapslie from their Squad List for salary cap purposes. They would then no longer have to include his future salary in any salary cap calculations. I'm sure the Southend Chairman said that clubs could have one in one out for their registered Squad List once they have reached they have reached the maximum number of players.

Charlton can also breach the salary cap rules and just pay the Overrun Tax. A wealthy League 1 club might decide to do this if they have chance of promotion because their is a significant increase in EFL funding from League 1 to the Championship.

"Salary" includes any "compromise, redundancy or settlement payment made to the Salary Cap Player" but does not include "any severance payment due to the Player in accordance with clause 19.2 of the Standard Contract".

I'm not sure what Clause 19.2 is. It might be the player's right to receive an additional month's salary after their contract has expired.

I think that’s what 19.2 does.

If he is deregistered them what does that mean?

Presumably they continue to pay him but they no longer ‘own’ his registration and they can’t play him.

How does that work then as I thought that a loan was technically ‘lending’ the player to the recipient club?

If the registration had gone then how can they loan him?

Not saying you are wrong or criticising, just interested.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 pm

He's already not registered with them because he's registered with us.

He is their player but isn't registered to play for them, he's registered to play for us.

If Charlton were desperate to free up his register slot before he was loaned to us it's possible we agreed to pay half his salary. In very basic terms Charlton are paying half his wages for an extra slot for another player.

Charlton know they aren't getting a fee for him. So say he can move for a free transfer.

If Charlton recall him and don't register him in the squad to play 1st team games he could apply to have his contract terminated (Charlton would be breaking it by not making it possible for him to play) and he'd go for free. If they just leave him on loan here they would likely release him anyway.

In a normal season, Charlton could pull a Derby and recall him demanding we buy him (Timi Elsnik) but it isn't a normal season. If he's on £1k a week and they are still paying him £500 a week selling him frees up that £500 a week. It's not alot but could be the difference between landing a target and losing a target for them.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 pm

I don't really care about the details, but if JR is in a position to sign him up then he should do it forthwith. Lapslie has been excellent in every match and has exceeded expectations.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Gazza

I don’t think that’s correct when you talk about the registrations.

He has two registrations: one is his ‘parent’ registration and the other is his ‘loan’ registration. His loan registration entitles him to play for us whilst on loan. His player registration remains with the parent club until it expires. When the loan registration expires he goes back to them. They don’t need to re-register him.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:21 am

Bradders wrote:I don't really care about the details, but if JR is in a position to sign him up then he should do it forthwith. Lapslie has been excellent in every match and has exceeded expectations.

Once again I'm glad we have an opinions based board.

Your last line is way over the top, in my humble opinion :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 am

First required signing for me if he fancies a longer term move up north.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:34 am

When I say "deregister" I mean Charlton may be able to remove George Lapslie from their "Squad List" for salary cap purposes. Relegated Clubs are allowed to do this but other clubs are allowed to do it for this season only. George Lapslie will still be a registered player at Charlton until his contract expires or is transferred and he can still be loaned out to other clubs.

For salary cap purposes, they might still be able to deduct his loan income from the wages they have paid him whilst he was in their Squad List but no player can have a "Salary Cap Player Value" of less than zero.

EFL Regs

4 Excluded Salary Cap Players

4.1 The following Players shall not be considered to be a Salary Cap Player:

4.1.1 any Under 21 Player;

4.1.2 in respect of Relegated Clubs in its first Salary Cap Year following relegation only, any Player who is not included within the Squad List of that Club throughout that Salary Cap Year; and

4.1.3 in Season 2020/21 only, any Player who is not included within the Squad List of a Club"

Darren Ferguson and Darragh MacAnthony at Peterborough said at the start of the season that Peterborough would not be registering some players in their 22 man Squad List and these players would be encouraged to move on after agreeing a pay off or go out on loan.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:40 am

How can you not prefer the heart of Sherwood Forest to London ,no brainer
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:28 am

Sign him if we can and if Nigel wants him... but also the kind of qualities he has will be available from league one in other players, I trust NC to find those players.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Lapslie Moving from London permanently is a big decision , and to a struggling league 2 club with a poor reputation with managers, but this could be the time when the tide is turning.
Mansfield is a beautiful area and Clough can be very persuasive if he sees him in his long term plans, Running his contract out could be his best option and in May 2021 his future will be a lot clearer, in the meantime he has a relegation battle to fight, a experience footballers dread and can learn so much from, character building thats for sure.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:38 pm

An update.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Hearing it's a done deal
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

An update.

At 23 I'm sure we would at least get half the money back spent on wages if he continues on form.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum