{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Scunthorpe game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Scunthorpe game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 pm

video: George Lapslie scores Mansfield’s first goal at Scunthorpe

video: Mansfield's second goal at Scunthorpe (an own goal by Manny Onariase)

video: Jordan Bowery scores Mansfield’s third goal at Scunthorpe

brief highlights produced by IMG
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Scunthorpe game

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:13 pm

First goal, "Beautiful cross" my harris.

It's so far away from his intended target of Bowery that he doesn't even jump for it. It is well followed up by Lapslie to finish it off once the defender has made a hash of it.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:56 pm

I thought it was a great cross from Gordon. We've seen enough terrible crossing this season to know what a bad one looks like.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:12 pm

It was a good cross into a dangerous area. It's up to the forward to get onto the cross. Lapslie did just that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:It was a good cross into a dangerous area. It's up to the forward to get onto the cross. Lapslie did just that.

So by that theory any cross is a good cross because the forward should have gotten onto hit. It's a poor cross with his weaker foot that the first defender doesn't deal with properly, if he heads it properly it's a corner, if he leaves it the keeper catches it as it wont reach Lapslie, and the second defender is to slow to react. Lapslie isn't and did well to follow up on it.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:45 pm

If you put good crosses into dangerous areas then defenders are forced to try and clear them and can end up putting the ball in their own net which was demonstrated very well yesterday.

Manny Onariase has to try and head the ball as he thinks Jordan Bowery is coming in behind him. It skims off his head and gives George Lapslie a tap in on the line. The Scunthorpe keeper, Mark Howard, should have given Onariase a shout to leave it and come out and caught the ball.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It was a good cross into a dangerous area. It's up to the forward to get onto the cross. Lapslie did just that.

So by that theory any cross is a good cross because the forward should have gotten onto hit. It's a poor cross with his weaker foot that the first defender doesn't deal with properly, if he heads it properly it's a corner, if he leaves it the keeper catches it as it wont reach Lapslie, and the second defender is to slow to react. Lapslie isn't and did well to follow up on it.
i think you are being a little harsh. For me a bad cross is one that doesn't beat the first man (blocked) or goes high, wide handsome of the mark. The cross was placed in a very dangerous area which lead to a goal.It certainly caused confusion for the defender and goal keeper.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Christ almighty. What even is this forum sometimes?

It was a good cross that lead to a goal. How can that even be disputed?
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Big yella wrote:

i think you are being a little harsh. For me a bad cross is one that doesn't beat the first man (blocked) or goes high, wide handsome of the mark. The cross was placed in a very dangerous area which lead to a goal.It certainly caused confusion for the defender and goal keeper.

If that defender had been Rawson he would have been massacred on here for not clearing the ball from a poor cross, under no pressure, and we all know it.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Ryan Giggs once said he never aimed for a particular player when crossing the ball, just aimed for good areas. For me that’s what Kellan did, good cross.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:05 pm

nick_stags wrote:Christ almighty. What even is this forum sometimes?

Err, because it's my opinion. It goes nowhere near it's intended recipient so 'IN MY OPINION' it's a poor cross, excellently followed up by Lapslie who capitalises on the equally poor defending.
How can that be disputed?
Oh yeah! by a differing opinion.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Big yella wrote:

Err, because it's my opinion. It goes nowhere near it's intended recipient so 'IN MY OPINION' it's a poor cross, excellently followed up by Lapslie who capitalises on the equally poor defending.
How can that be disputed?
Oh yeah! by a differing opinion.

It was a good cross into a dangerous area. It was also a mistake by the defender. It can be both.

I would say the majority of crosses are not ‘aimed at a specific target’, but aimed into a dangerous area.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:20 pm

Big yella wrote:First goal, "Beautiful cross" my harris.

It's so far away from his intended target of Bowery that he doesn't even jump for it. It is well followed up by Lapslie to finish it off once the defender has made a hash of it.

Don’t know why you’ve put that in speech marks because no one even said it was a beautiful cross. Dean said it was a quality cross which it was.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:01 am

Dan wrote:
Big yella wrote:First goal, "Beautiful cross" my harris.

Don’t know why you’ve put that in speech marks because no one even said it was a beautiful cross. Dean said it was a quality cross which it was.

Correct Dan, I have mixed up quality cross (which I still maintain it wasn't) and beautifully glanced header (which it was).
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am

How many times do we see a cross go over everyone, loads. How many never beat the first man,loads. How many sail out of play, loads. So therefore there is a bad cross and good cross. We scored from a good cross. End of. :mtfc:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am

As said a good cross goes into the danger area creates worry and uncertainty, which is what Kell's did.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 am

Its getting worse mate.

There are so many experts on here its frightening.
From Goalkeeper coaches to sofa coaches talking about phases and playing through the lines. We then move on to the expert wide player coaches who know what a quality cross is, to the best ones of the lot the expected goals crew....

I respect everyone has their opinion but my opinion is the score thread /highlight posts are becoming unreadable due to all the experts tring to shout the loudest...

Time for a break...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Its getting worse mate.

From Goalkeeper coaches to sofa coaches talking about phases and playing through the lines. We then move on to the expert wide player coaches who know what a quality cross is, to the best ones of the lot the expected goals crew....

I respect everyone has their opinion but my opinion is the score thread /highlight posts are becoming unreadable due to all the experts tring to shout the loudest...

Time for a break...

Bye then. :wave:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Its getting worse mate.

Time for a break...

You do understand what the word ‘discussion’ means don’t you?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

Time for a break...

But when it descends into an argument whether the cross was good or not....
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:46 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

Time for a break...

I though you were a fan or arguing Belly? If not you certainly do a good job of portraying that image :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Big yella wrote:Correct Dan, I have mixed up quality cross (which I still maintain it wasn't) and beautifully glanced header (which it was).

You still have it the wrong way round Craig. What you meant to say, if you were commentating, was that it was a top quality cross from Kellan Gordon that gave George Lapslie such an easy tap in on the line that even Danny Rose would have scored (whilst throwing himself on the floor after being tugged back by the defender) :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:19 pm

They're the kind of areas good crosses go into. Makes it easier to score. It was far harder for Lapslie to miss. Defenders are usually told to get something on a cross then it throws everybody out. Lapslie reacted to it and got the goal.

It's not a poor cross if it's into a dangerous area and the defender wins the battle with the attacker. The defender is doing his job. It's not a poor cross if the first defender gets a block in, that's his job to do that. What makes a cross a poor one is one that goes out of play with nobody having to break a sweat to get on the end of or deal with it.

There's a fine line between a poor cross and poor attacking and good defending.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

Time for a break...

I though you were a fan or arguing Belly? If not you certainly do a good job of portraying that image :lol:

I am. But there has to be a point.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:12 pm

He hits this 'quality cross' from right on the corner of the box to the six yard box, 12 yards, and misses his target by 2/3 yards. If that is quality then we have the best midfield at The Mill since Gordon Hodgson graced her hallowed turf.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum