{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford scorefred sponsored by Three buses.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford scorefred sponsored by Three buses.

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm surprised that there has not been more debate about yet another Marek Stech error for the Salford goal. Nigel Clough will probably be thinking about signing another keeper long term although he is showing confidence in him at the moment.

Conrad would have been crucified and there would have been calls for St Bobby to take his place :lol:

Trouble with Conrad’s mistakes, they cost us points EVERY time. Marek got away with it last night as we were comfortable at 2-0 with only mins left
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought our best players last night were George Lapslie, Ollie Clarke and Farrend Rawson. Hard to pick a Man of the Match. I'll give it Rawson because it was probably his best defensive performance of the season.

The whocored ratings were:

Ryan Sweeney 8.2
George Lapslie 7.9
Jordan Bowery 7.8
Farrend Rawson 7.4
George Maris 7.3
Mal Benning 7.1
Jamie Reid 7.0
Harry Charsley 6.9
James Perch 6.9
Ollie Clarke 6.8
Marek Stech 6.7

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wow.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm

I must admit the WhoScored player ratings are pretty useless, and wholly based on stats, which as we know don’t always tell the whole story.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:09 pm

What a feeling , a good win 6 points off relegation climbing the table, a lot of spirits raised last night not just real ale, The first half we played them of the park, they came to play football and the cabbage patch beat them, they realised that we knew were the sticky patches were and were very effective in closing them down.
The second half they resorted to the long ball to tall attackers and trying to feed off the second ball. our defenders were imminence Rawson and Sweeney and we defended as a team and still find time to hit them on the break, Certainly a Clough move not bringing on any substitutes, theirs a reason somewhere, on a sour note having controlled most of the game,, we still needed 2 goals to give us a chance and could have lost points, Con seeding from a set piece, When put under pressure Stech is like a rabbit in head lights, We won but clean sheets gets you the most points, i look at our defenders and a energetic midfield , surly clean sheets should be more often, Reid is a work in progress, and players out should be interesting, Burton need defenders,and we have to many. O:Keefe, Menayese, O:Driscoll, interesting month January. Well done lads a good win
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:27 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm surprised that there has not been more debate about yet another Marek Stech error for the Salford goal. Nigel Clough will probably be thinking about signing another keeper long term although he is showing confidence in him at the moment.

Conrad would have been crucified and there would have been calls for St Bobby to take his place :lol:

Trouble with Conrad’s mistakes, they cost us points EVERY time. Marek got away with it last night as we were comfortable at 2-0 with only mins left

He is a little lucky, but he also commands his box much better rather than just standing on his line causing chaos every time a ball comes into the box.

Never understood the never coming off the line business by Logan- whether it was indecisiveness, weight/fitness issues - but it was the same reason he was let go by Rochdale.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm getting more impressed with Reid each game he plays. His work rate last night was first class plus he also looked more confident on the ball. Obviously Nigel sees promise in him....and I trust him 100%.....happier days at last :D
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Good honest assesment by Wellens, no mollycoddling of players feeling. Thought they didn't deserve a point.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Spiritater wrote:Good honest assesment by Wellens, no mollycoddling of players feeling. Thought they didn't deserve a point.

Where is this please ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:02 pm

On Salford site. Can't do linky thing on t'Wii
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:13 pm

Dan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought our best players last night were George Lapslie, Ollie Clarke and Farrend Rawson. Hard to pick a Man of the Match. I'll give it Rawson because it was probably his best defensive performance of the season.

Ryan Sweeney 8.2
George Lapslie 7.9
Jordan Bowery 7.8
Farrend Rawson 7.4
George Maris 7.3
Mal Benning 7.1
Jamie Reid 7.0
Harry Charsley 6.9
James Perch 6.9
Ollie Clarke 6.8
Marek Stech 6.7

Whoscored must have gone to Salford to watch the game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:

Ryan Sweeney 8.2
George Lapslie 7.9
Jordan Bowery 7.8
Farrend Rawson 7.4
George Maris 7.3
Mal Benning 7.1
Jamie Reid 7.0
Harry Charsley 6.9
James Perch 6.9
Ollie Clarke 6.8
Marek Stech 6.7

Whoscored must have gone to Salford to watch the game.

Or got the numbers the wrong way round!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:27 pm

The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Good honest assesment by Wellens, no mollycoddling of players feeling. Thought they didn't deserve a point.

Where is this please ?

https://salfordcityfc.co.uk/mansfield-t ... -05012021/
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I must admit the WhoScored player ratings are pretty useless, and wholly based on stats, which as we know don’t always tell the whole story.

I disagree Sam. I think the whoscored ratings are generally pretty good based on the League 2 games I have watched this season. Players' ratings though do get a boost for goals and assists. Harry Charsley has clearly gained from this.

Ollie Clarke was in my top 3 players yesterday along with Lapslie and Rawson so I scored him much higher. When you drill down into Ollie's individual data, it does seems to justify a higher rating:

Possession
Ollie Clarke 6.5
Mal Benning 5.3
George Maris 5.2
George Lapslie 4.6

Touches
Mal Benning 81
Ollie Clarke 66
Jordan Bowery 58
James Perch 57

Pass Success
Jamie Reid 82%
Jordan Bowery 74%
George Lapslie 72%
Ollie Clarke 66%
George Maris 66%

Passes
Ollie Clarke 53
George Maris 41
George Lapslie 39
Mal Benning 39
Ryan Sweeney 38

Accurate Passes
Ollie Clarke 35
George Lapslie 28
George Maris 27

Key Passes
Ollie Clarke 2
Jamie Reid 2
Jordan Bowery 2
Malvind Benning 2
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I must admit the WhoScored player ratings are pretty useless, and wholly based on stats, which as we know don’t always tell the whole story.

I disagree Sam. I think the whoscored ratings are generally pretty good based on the League 2 games I have watched this season. Players' ratings though do get a boost for goals and assists. Harry Charsley has clearly gained from this.

Ollie Clarke was in my top 3 players yesterday along with Lapslie and Rawson so I scored him much higher. When you drill down into Ollie's individual data, it does seems to justify a higher rating:

Possession
Ollie Clarke 6.5
Mal Benning 5.3
George Maris 5.2
George Lapslie 4.6

Touches
Mal Benning 81
Ollie Clarke 66
Jordan Bowery 58
James Perch 57

Pass Success
Jamie Reid 82%
Jordan Bowery 74%
George Lapslie 72%
Ollie Clarke 66%
George Maris 66%

Passes
Ollie Clarke 53
George Maris 41
George Lapslie 39
Mal Benning 39
Ryan Sweeney 38

Accurate Passes
Ollie Clarke 35
George Lapslie 28
George Maris 27

Key Passes
Ollie Clarke 2
Jamie Reid 2
Jordan Bowery 2
Malvind Benning 2

How can it be fairly accurate when all of that shows how good Clarke was yet he was second bottom in the motm votes only above the goalkeeper :lol: It doesn’t make sense.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm

I said generally pretty good Dan. There are always exceptions to the rule. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I said generally pretty good Dan. There are always exceptions to the rule. :lol:

Not kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Video here explaining how they’re calculated.

Unfortunately the stats don’t and can’t take into account mental or physical attributes, only technical, so are pretty much entirely stats based.

For example, they don’t take into account defensive errors or goalkeeping errors.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Just for Dan's benefit ;)

Whoscored's Stags Player Ratings for season to date

George Lapslie 7.06
Ryan Sweeney 7.06
Malvind Benning 7.01
Ollie Clarke 6.99
Jordan Bowery 6.90
Harry Charsley 6.88
Rollin Menayese 6.85
James Perch 6.80
George Maris 6.78
Kellan Gordon 6.74
Corey O'Keeffe 6.65
Marek Stech 6.65
Stephen McLaughlin 6.64
Farrend Rawson 6.63
Aidan Stone 6.54
Andy Cook 6.54
Jamie Reid 6.51
Nicky Maynard 6.35
Tyrese Sinclair 5.94
Alistair Smith 5.77
Aaron O'Driscoll 5.69
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:For example, they don’t take into account defensive errors or goalkeeping errors.

If a player makes a clear error that results in a goal Sam then they normally put an "E" by the player's name.

They do not this for all errors though. Ryan Sweeney had a very good game but I had to mark him down for being caught in possession in the first half that could have resulted in a Salford goal. I also thought that Farrend Rawson won more headers than Ryan Sweeney but it was 14-8 in favour of Sweeney for aerial battles won according to whoscored.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:For example, they don’t take into account defensive errors or goalkeeping errors.

If a player makes a clear error that results in a goal Sam then they normally put an "E" by the player's name.

They do not this for all errors though. Ryan Sweeney had a very good game but I had to mark him down for being caught in possession in the first half that could have resulted in a Salford goal. I also thought that Farrend Rawson won more headers than Ryan Sweeney but it was 14-8 in favour of Sweeney for aerial battles won according to whoscored.

So all in all the ‘stats boys’, agree with the ‘what I saw boys’ because the stats don’t agree with what the ‘stats boys’ saw. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:37 pm

Remarkable turnaround in the team .
The managers tweaks to midfield have made a massive difference .
Clarke , Maris , Charsley and Lapslie have all excelled .
The return of Perch to the back four seems to have stabilised them more . Such an intelligent footballer .
Bowery has been superb . Reid is improving but never looks a goal threat and his movement is still poor at times , but maybe as with Bowery , if Clough improves his overall game , that will come.
I think Clough showed slight irritation at the loss of the clean sheet. Down to Stech that one . I guess he's unlikely to make any changes .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Big yella wrote:

So all in all the ‘stats boys’, agree with the ‘what I saw boys’ because the stats don’t agree with what the ‘stats boys’ saw. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Despite your assertions, I’ve never claimed stats are the be all and end all.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:23 pm

AlanStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I agree it was an error, but we won so he’s got away with it a little. Some people don’t think it was an error though.

Posted on another thread but I thought worth reiterating results with Maris starting in holding role :

W4 D2 L0 GS 14 GC 4

One of those draws was a win before he was subbed (Bolton) and two of those goals were conceded after he went off (Bolton, FGR)

It was a definite error by Stech, unfortunately he seems to drop a clanger every 5 games or so. We may be able to get away with it as a mid table side but if we want to challenge I don't think he is good enough. It turned a comfortable win into us clinging on, they could well have equalised in the last minute.

The Salford goal wasn’t entirely down to Stech. He had gone towards the near post expecting one of the 2 Salford players to head it towards goal so he was in a good position. Both forwards AND Lapslie and Benning missed the header so the ball went past Stech quite low (below waist height?). We then had 3 defenders on the line who also missed/didn’t clear the ball as well as at least 1 Salford player who didn’t get to it before the goal was scored.
So that’s at least 6 Mansfield and 3 Salford players who could have done better.

Stech had correctly started near the middle of the goal before seeing the flight of the corner so couldn’t have gone for the punch in front of the near post. If he’d stayed nearer the middle of the goal and the ball had been headed in then that would have been a much worse error.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Big yella wrote:

Big Yella, are you sure that XG does not stand for ‘expected gripes’ as you are currently have a ratio of 1:1 every time it is mentioned? :D
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Thankfully Non Stech's mistake didn't cost us. Had City levelled at the end which thry nearly did I wonder if folk would've been so quick to defend his lack of command of his six yard box.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum