{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

David Flitcroft v Steve Evans (Playing Budgets)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: David Flitcroft v Steve Evans (Playing Budgets)

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Dan, you didn't like Flitcroft for one reason or another, but I for one enjoyed his team's performances and it was nice not to be looking at the bottom 2 team's results every Saturday since sacking him.

It makes no difference whether I liked him or not, he bottled it, TWICE. That's a fact. I also know for a fact that had Steve Evans had Flitcroft's budget and bottled it twice, two of the posters above would be falling over themselves to point out the fact that Evans was a double failure, just like they point out he jumped ship ;)

I did like Flitcroft's football the times I saw it, most of the time it was good, but then it went really wrong because of his attitude.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:37 am

Dan wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Dan, you didn't like Flitcroft for one reason or another, but I for one enjoyed his team's performances and it was nice not to be looking at the bottom 2 team's results every Saturday since sacking him.

It makes no difference whether I liked him or not, he bottled it, TWICE. That's a fact. I also know for a fact that had Steve Evans had Flitcroft's budget and bottled it twice, two of the posters above would be falling over themselves to point out the fact that Evans was a double failure, just like they point out he jumped ship ;)

I did like Flitcroft's football the times I saw it, most of the time it was good, but then it went really wrong because of his attitude.

Technically Evans was a double failure. Took over from Murray and finished 12th. He had enough points to play for to get the title ;). Then the following season he assembled the squad that finished 8th that is failure too. :lol:

It's very technical but what I said is also FACTS.

Enough of that. You had a good Christmas, Dan?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:51 am

Im sorry but failure is going backwards and finishing 8th after finishing 12th is progress, on that basis gaining 4 places in the league the next season is playoffs, and surly this is success
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am

Bear 73. You will soon realise that reasoned debate does not compute with Dan.

Try not to get into arguments with him. He is the master of illogical fallacies. He will pull you down to his level and then beat you with experience
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 am

bear 73 wrote:Im sorry but failure is going backwards and finishing 8th after finishing 12th is progress, on that basis gaining 4 places in the league the next season is playoffs, and surly this is success
Exactly. However, time to move on. It's now all about NC improving on last season's league position.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:49 am

Was listening to the Smiths, ‘Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me’ and a line from the track kind of summed up the whole Flitcroft v Evans thread, ‘this story is old but it goes on’.

The history books will show that neither got us promoted, no open top bus ride up Southwell Road, no grand dinner at the Civic where councillors pretend to be interested in us, no drunken weekend celebrations and time off work and no more players being knighted.

They are on a par with Murray, Dempster, Coughlan, Holland etc, a seemingly endless list. They held our dreams, for a short time, in their hands and didn’t deliver, whether it cost JR a pound or a million.

Would it not be easier to agree they both ultimately failed. End of, neither to a lesser or greater degree. The end result is still the same. Neither achieved anything. Harsh but true.

Remember the good times of their tenures and the bad times but arguing over it is as pointless as two bald men fighting over a comb.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:24 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Was listening to the Smiths, ‘Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me’ and a line from the track kind of summed up the whole Flitcroft v Evans thread, ‘this story is old but it goes on’.

The history books will show that neither got us promoted, no open top bus ride up Southwell Road, no grand dinner at the Civic where councillors pretend to be interested in us, no drunken weekend celebrations and time off work and no more players being knighted.

They are on a par with Murray, Dempster, Coughlan, Holland etc, a seemingly endless list. They held our dreams, for a short time, in their hands and didn’t deliver, whether it cost JR a pound or a million.

Would it not be easier to agree they both ultimately failed. End of, neither to a lesser or greater degree. The end result is still the same. Neither achieved anything. Harsh but true.

Remember the good times of their tenures and the bad times but arguing over it is as pointless as two bald men fighting over a comb.

Posting on here and listening to The Smiths on Christmas Day! Told you that you should have come here for dinner. :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:58 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Was listening to the Smiths, ‘Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me’ and a line from the track kind of summed up the whole Flitcroft v Evans thread, ‘this story is old but it goes on’.

The difference for me, is that with the seasons we had under Evans and Flitcroft, were for the most part entertaining and exciting. The whole seasons under Coughlan and Dempster were frankly thoroughly depressing. You can't judge a season purely on whether you get promoted or not. If you did the vast majority of clubs would have poor seasons.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

The difference for me, is that with the seasons we had under Evans and Flitcroft, were for the most part entertaining and exciting. The whole seasons under Coughlan and Dempster were frankly thoroughly depressing. You can't judge a season purely on whether you get promoted or not. If you did the vast majority of clubs would have poor seasons.
Amber Andy wrote:

I agree, two great times for the highs of being a Stags fan. But why oh why are people arguing 18 months on as to who was the greatest failure?
The memories of Walker, Elsnik, Whiteman etc will live long in the memory after The Who spent the most debate is done to the death.

If promotion was the yardstick then yes they both failed, but if the football played was the yardstick then for me Flitcroft won. Other than that their eras’s have ended. Move on and get behind ‘Our Nigel’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:13 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Amber Andy wrote:

I agree, two great times for the highs of being a Stags fan. But why oh why are people arguing 18 months on as to who was the greatest failure?
The memories of Walker, Elsnik, Whiteman etc will live long in the memory after The Who spent the most debate is done to the death.

If promotion was the yardstick then yes they both failed, but if the football played was the yardstick then for me Flitcroft won. Other than that their eras’s have ended. Move on and get behind ‘Our Nigel’.
I agree.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:44 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Amber Andy wrote:

Thing is before Evans and Flitcroft the yardstick for being in the league was the 01/02 season. That season is 6 months away from being 20 years ago. Evans promised promotion and fled to China. In the past 18+ years that was the closest (4th) we've come to being promoted, including the fact we were in the automatics for months. It will get compared to it until it is bested. Or we spend another 20 years down here.

I'm hopeful Clough will replicate Evans, taking over a rookie and in the play offs come February. I then hope Clough will not then abandon ship at a crucial point and instead lead us to league 1 football. I also hope we don't sack him if he doesn't make it next season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Bear 73. You will soon realise that reasoned debate does not compute with Dan.

Try not to get into arguments with him. He is the master of illogical fallacies. He will pull you down to his level and then beat you with experience

Not like you to be personal and take a thread off topic. And you’d know all about pulling people down wouldn’t you?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Right, who mentioned the war? The only thing I asked was that no one mentioned the war infront of grandad at Xmas. :D

Merry Xmas all, on both sides.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum