{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can and should football survive tier 4.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:37 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21289
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:57 pm

from https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2 ... rt-county/

Newport v Southend:

Once again match commentary on the iFollow stream will be provided by the home club and not the usual BBC Essex commentary team.

As was the case on Tuesday against Leyton Orient, this decision comes due to BBC Essex being unable to attend the game under new BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 areas.

To avoid a 40 second delay on BBC Essex's commentary to the match footage, Newport County's commentary will be the only commentary available for Blues supporters watching on iFollow to provide a better viewing experience, rather than no commentary or delayed commentary.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21289
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 am

So I'm confused, in simple terms who does commo for todays's game? Just Marty? Is it wise to travel from Guilford? Could Stevo not do ifollow commo to save Marty from travelling to FM. Will such as Frey be commentating from t'studio on Florist at Preston?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21834
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:09 am

I'll be commentating with Dean.

For the Forest game, according to the BBC policy, Radio Nottingham will not travel to Preston, and will presumably do the commentary on a delay on the radio, using the iFollow stream, (or maybe sky red button stream if that's available for the Championship??)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21289
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:from https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2 ... rt-county/

Newport v Southend:

Once again match commentary on the iFollow stream will be provided by the home club and not the usual BBC Essex commentary team.

As was the case on Tuesday against Leyton Orient, this decision comes due to BBC Essex being unable to attend the game under new BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 areas.

To avoid a 40 second delay on BBC Essex's commentary to the match footage, Newport County's commentary will be the only commentary available for Blues supporters watching on iFollow to provide a better viewing experience, rather than no commentary or delayed commentary.


What are the covid safety rules for Tier 4 areas like?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:from https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2 ... rt-county/

Newport v Southend:

Once again match commentary on the iFollow stream will be provided by the home club and not the usual BBC Essex commentary team.

As was the case on Tuesday against Leyton Orient, this decision comes due to BBC Essex being unable to attend the game under new BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 areas.

To avoid a 40 second delay on BBC Essex's commentary to the match footage, Newport County's commentary will be the only commentary available for Blues supporters watching on iFollow to provide a better viewing experience, rather than no commentary or delayed commentary.


What are the covid safety rules for Tier 4 areas like?

BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 are that their reporters cannot travel to games outside their area. Apart from that, I don't know.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21289
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby chip63 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I half understand Martin needed for the live commentary at home games but a shame he has to travel.
With respect do we really need Dean as well, could his comments not be done over phone on loud speaker from home.
It's all about removing unnecessary risks.
Personally I think commentaries should only be done by home clubs.
chip63
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:02 pm

I like listening to opposition commentary whenever I can . Some of them seem a lot more opinionated. The Carlisle commentary pair held nothing back and did get me looking at some of our players with a less blinkered view . A lot less professional than Martin who very seldom calls opposing players
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:12 pm

Should we really be seen to be breaking lockdown rules in allowing travel? Seems strange that the club are allowing it
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Now you're for it....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:from https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2 ... rt-county/

Newport v Southend:

Once again match commentary on the iFollow stream will be provided by the home club and not the usual BBC Essex commentary team.

As was the case on Tuesday against Leyton Orient, this decision comes due to BBC Essex being unable to attend the game under new BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 areas.

To avoid a 40 second delay on BBC Essex's commentary to the match footage, Newport County's commentary will be the only commentary available for Blues supporters watching on iFollow to provide a better viewing experience, rather than no commentary or delayed commentary.


What are the covid safety rules for Tier 4 areas like?

BBC Covid Safety rules for Tier 4 are that their reporters cannot travel to games outside their area. Apart from that, I don't know.

Have you traveled for the game and if so, why ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15606
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:20 pm

travel for work is allowed by the Government where it cannot be done from home.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 21289
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:24 pm

It’s an unpaid role, therefore not work...
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby fox in the box » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm

Could Mark Stevenson perhaps step in temporarily? He used to do it?
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 pm

fox in the box wrote:Could Mark Stevenson perhaps step in temporarily? He used to do it?

Make it permanent for me
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm

SankMTFC wrote:It’s an unpaid role, therefore not work...


That’s nothing to do with it. Travel is travel whether it’s paid or not.

I just see no logic on non essential travel. Stevo could do the job.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15606
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:58 pm

What's gonna happen to Slater n Stall when Clownty play away with no radio commo.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21834
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
SankMTFC wrote:It’s an unpaid role, therefore not work...


That’s nothing to do with it. Travel is travel whether it’s paid or not.

I just see no logic on non essential travel. Stevo could do the job.

Always thought you din't like Stevo
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 21834
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:08 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
SankMTFC wrote:It’s an unpaid role, therefore not work...


That’s nothing to do with it. Travel is travel whether it’s paid or not.

I just see no logic on non essential travel. Stevo could do the job.

I was referring to him to justifying doing it by calling it work, not the travel
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Spiritater wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
SankMTFC wrote:It’s an unpaid role, therefore not work...


That’s nothing to do with it. Travel is travel whether it’s paid or not.

I just see no logic on non essential travel. Stevo could do the job.

Always thought you din't like Stevo

I don’t but that’s not relevant is it ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15606
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby cambridgestag » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:42 pm

west country stag wrote:Total lockdown thro the UK needed .


Another one? Didn't we try that back in March? For a terrifying virus whish is the worst the world has seen for a century it has so far killed 1.8 million people. Sounds a lot until you realise that is 0.023% of the world's population. 99.98% of people are fine.
If you want a really scary statistic have a look at how much the world population increases EVERY year - 83 million. Just to put things in context.
cambridgestag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 pm

cambridgestag wrote:
west country stag wrote:Total lockdown thro the UK needed .


Another one? Didn't we try that back in March? For a terrifying virus whish is the worst the world has seen for a century it has so far killed 1.8 million people. Sounds a lot until you realise that is 0.023% of the world's population. 99.98% of people are fine.
If you want a really scary statistic have a look at how much the world population increases EVERY year - 83 million. Just to put things in context.


I take it you've not lost a loved one, over 80,000 have, try explaining your percentages to them. We need lockdowns because people can't be trusted to do the right thing, like the throbbers who broke into a church to hold a rave.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5518
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:04 pm

cambridgestag wrote:
west country stag wrote:Total lockdown thro the UK needed .


Another one? Didn't we try that back in March? For a terrifying virus whish is the worst the world has seen for a century it has so far killed 1.8 million people. Sounds a lot until you realise that is 0.023% of the world's population. 99.98% of people are fine.
If you want a really scary statistic have a look at how much the world population increases EVERY year - 83 million. Just to put things in context.

Here they come. The deniers.

It’s not just about deaths. The hospitals are full down here and that’s with people mostly obeying stringent restrictions. Don’t minimise this pandemic.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 15606
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:44 pm

Did you see those clowns outside a hospital on New Year’s Eve having a party and chanting about Covid being a hoax, right outside the windows where people were on ventilators caused by it. The police should’ve got the water cannons out like they would if they were football hooligans.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8369
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Can and should football survive tier 4.

Postby Big yella » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Dan wrote:Did you see those clowns outside a hospital on New Year’s Eve having a party and chanting about Covid being a hoax, right outside the windows where people were on ventilators caused by it. The police should’ve got the water cannons out like they would if they were football hooligans.

But they wouldn't have would they, as after Bojo bought three water canon they were deemed illegal to use in this country. (Imagine having our own different law even when we were still in the EU, who'd a thunk it.)
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4569
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests