{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cabbage patch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cabbage patch

Postby The One » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
broomo wrote:I'm absolutely certain Nige will demand it's ripped up and a Desso pitch installed during the summer.

He won't stand for that kind of quality playing surface.

I doubt JR will be paying half a million plus on the pitch in the summer.

Have said before a desso is the way to go though... best pitches that are available

What is a desso pitch ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Suttonian wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:Err.., I think it has. Try walking on your own lawns, mine is waterlogged....plus, played golf yesterday and fairways sodden and greens flooding in places, so it’s come from somewhere!

Have you just spent tens of thousands on replacing your lawn over the last two years and installing better drainage systems?

Do you employ a full time grounds keeping staff?

I’m mightily impressed it you have/do

He might not do that for his lawn but I'm sure the golf club will do for the fairways and greens

Are you comparing looking after a field the size of a football pitch to something the size of a golf course? Really?

No, just saying they employ full time staff but are still in a bad state at this time of year. Can't exactly have a GUR no-go area on a football pitch to help it recover either
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:15 pm

The One wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
broomo wrote:I'm absolutely certain Nige will demand it's ripped up and a Desso pitch installed during the summer.

Have said before a desso is the way to go though... best pitches that are available

What is a desso pitch ?

Trying to sell an all you can eat market tour of Wuhan, on a Boeing 737 max.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:16 pm

The pitch has been awful all season, it was churned up after about 3 games this season.
Cloughie has mentioned it in atleast one interview and I’m not surprised, it’s nowhere near good enough, probably the worst in the league.

I know mez has a lot of friends on this board and he probably is a sound bloke but there’s no excuse for the state of the pitch, the weathers hasn’t even been that bad.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm

The One wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

What is a desso pitch ?

Its the type of pitch that has synthetic grass and fibre stitched into it with a machine. its very hard warning and not much can make it deteriorate.

Can cost up to a million to have done depending what pitch you currently have. I think you need a dedicated team of trained groundsmen to look after them.

Newport actually have one.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

What is a desso pitch ?

Its the type of pitch that has synthetic grass and fibre stitched into it with a machine. its very hard warning and not much can make it deteriorate.

Can coast up to a million to have done depending what pitch you currently have.

Newport actually have one.

Yes since they've had it theyve not had one complaint regarding there pitch. Do they still have 2 other rugby teams play on it?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Just seen league two goals on sky sports news, weather conditions are different around the country, but f.mill surface definitely the worst. Seasons greetings from tier 4.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:53 pm

The pitch needs work, the team needs work, the Sandy Pate Bar needs work and the method of how we will watch football in the future needs work.

Not the best time to be a Stags fan is it?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Quick update it's worse at Barrow.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:55 pm

w12stag wrote:Quick update it's worse at Barrow.

What, people from Barrow are worse at complaining than those on Stagsnet??? I don’t believe you.

Oh sorry, you mean the state of their pitch. My bad. :D
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:15 pm

I got told off the other week for moaning about the moaning. But there is a thread on here moaning about Martin and Dean commentry. Now there's a thread about moaning about the pitch. :lol:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:I got told off the other week for moaning about the moaning. But there is a thread on here moaning about Martin and Dean commentry. Now there's a thread about moaning about the pitch. :lol:

Yep - it is all your fault. Change your name to Conrad and be accept your fate.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 pm

The pitch is terrible with average weather , it looks really scalped .Under the west stand has always been crap whatever improvement work that has been tried.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 pm

The pitch was poor no doubt about it. But why pooh pooh the grounds staff without finding out what the problem is from the club.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amberheart » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm

Number63 wrote:The pitch was poor no doubt about it. But why pooh pooh the grounds staff without finding out what the problem is from the club.

Exactly .There must be some reasonable explanation
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Number63 wrote:The pitch was poor no doubt about it. But why pooh pooh the grounds staff without finding out what the problem is from the club.

Agreed.

Burton had a problem with their pitch and it was nowt to do with the ground staff, simply the way the Stadium was built meant one side of the pitch didn't get enough sunlight to dry it out.

There's got to be more to it than just not enough work goes into it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:26 pm

I think the pitch was renovated at the end of the 2016-2017 season and JR spent a fortune on it at the request of Steve Evans. We did put new drains in because I remember Paul Broughton posting a video on facebook before the Rochdale League Cup game in 2017-2018 showing the water draining off the pitch at the Quarry Lane End after a very heavy summer rain storm. Here is a quote from Martin's match report:

"A word on the weather and on the pitch. It had rained hard all day in Mansfield, since early morning, yet the pitch coped superbly thanks to the new drainage put in over the summer. Paul Broughton showed me a video of the water from the drainage system pouring away on the Bishop Street side, quite remarkable. There is no doubt whatsoever that this game would never have gone ahead last season or any previous season, and the £100,000 spent on the pitch by John and Carolyn Radford, and the excellent work of groundsman Mez Merriman and his team, has turned the pitch into one that wouldn’t be out of place in the Premier League."

To be fair to Mez (as mentioned above), I think he has been furloughed during the lockdown and he now has the pitches at Pleasley to look after as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Everyone has been saying we haven’t had much rain . I feel that every home match for the last two months has had a lot of rain in the 24 hours before kick off. Yesterday and last night it pissed it down in Mansfield.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Where are the Stagsnet weather experts with the Mansfield rainfall stats? :lol:

I'm sure there must be a few out there.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:45 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Where are the Stagsnet weather experts with the Mansfield rainfall stats? :lol:

I'm sure there must be a few out there.

Here, its peed it down for 4 weeks :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:56 pm

My sister-in-law lives near Chorley in Lancashire. She said it has rained every day for about a month. I'll have to check the stats. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:28 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:My sister-in-law lives near Chorley in Lancashire. She said it has rained every day for about a month. I'll have to check the stats. :lol:

My pissitdownommeter is better than yours
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:58 am

He may have been furloughed, but surely isn't now and was only when football was stopped. There was hardly a drop of rain the entire first lockdown. It has been very wet this autumn but its the same for most clubs and ours doesn't look good at all.

As mentioned it was totally redone a few years back. Seems to have been poor ever since then. Prior to that I seem to remember lots of stuff about how amazing he is and how we'd not had a game of for 300 years or something.

Somethings not right with it. Just because it was redone doesn't mean it's now right. There is surely no way our groundsman has been on furlough while the season is active. I think we might have noticed 6" grass...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:21 am

Jamie wrote:I think we might have noticed 6" grass...

Be careful now. Some Stags pitch experts would be happy with that as they complain that Mez cuts the grass too short which is the most common mistake in lawn care :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:39 am

Maybe mezz has been watching old Baseball Ground clips whilst on furlough and thought, wow, thats the pitch for me
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum