{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cabbage patch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cabbage patch

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:46 pm

I would disagree that the pitch was equally as poor last season. It is dreadful this season. It wasn't dreadful last season, in my opinion.

It was also rated above average last season in League Two, if you look at the letter to the club secretary

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Maybe it isn’t quite as bad in fairness
Martin and I trust your judgement as you see it in person.

It was still bad enough to prompt the same discussion last year though, which means there is probably some value in the club looking into it again
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Maybe it isn’t quite as bad in fairness
Martin and I trust your judgement as you see it in person.

It was still bad enough to prompt the same discussion last year though, which means there is probably some value in the club looking into it again

I have added a bit to my post above, with a letter to the club secretary.

From the view from the West Stand side, there is an enormous difference in the pitch this season versus last season.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Looking at those rainfall figures, Autumn 2019 seems to have been very wet.

Whereas the previous four years seems to be quite dry.

Who would have thought it, the amount of rainfall is critical to the quality of the playing pitch.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:23 pm

part time pete wrote:Looking at those rainfall figures, Autumn 2019 seems to have been very wet.

Whereas the previous four years seems to be quite dry.

Who would have thought it, the amount of rainfall is critical to the quality of the playing pitch.

I’m very much playing devils advocate here, but....

The annual rainfall between 2010-2015 was generally higher than 2016-2018. 2019 was about the same as 2010-2015.

The pitch was relaid in 2017.

Could it be a possibility that we all thought the pitch was better than it is because it was laid in favourable conditions?

The first time annual rainfall came back to average it waterlogged.

Just offering an alternative perspective of course.

(Source - https://www.statista.com/statistics/322 ... ingdom-uk/
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:49 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I would disagree that the pitch was equally as poor last season. It is dreadful this season. It wasn't dreadful last season, in my opinion.

It was also rated above average last season in League Two, if you look at the letter to the club secretary

Yet here we are almost a exact year to the day(last season) we are still on about the poor state of the pitch and drainage. See Field Mill pitch topic
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:02 am

With so little time between games, the cold and wet weather meaning that the ground staff would have little time to work on the pitch it seems that the correct decision was made the other day. Many clubs, especially tiers 4 to 7, make the decision to look long term regarding the playing surface when the surface may be ‘playable’ for one game.

With no substantive disruption to the traveling public, teams or officials a storm has blown over in the Stagsnet tea cup again.

Onwards to Saturday.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 am

Will game be on Saturday looking at the forecast it’s not going to get much above freezing.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Kernow » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:47 am

Agree Saturday not looking promising.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am

Genuine question, as supporters and a club are we too sentimental to those involved at the club for many years?

People have raised genuine concerns about the pitch yet because Mez has been here years he gets off on a light touch and people don’t bat an eye lid. The comments from prior threads show genuine expert advice was ignored and it’s only with hindsight we’re giving them the due credit.

I appreciate it’s a difficult conversation but we are a laughing stock with the pitch at the minute and it doesn’t reflect well on us as a club. I imagine our manager expects higher standards too.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 pm

This isn’t specific to any particular person connected to the club, but I feel we are definitely over sentimental.

I have said it before, when it comes to Mansfield Town, supporters are expected to cough up their hard earned cash, but not to raise any complaints if they feel the product on offer does not give value for money.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Investment at Mansfield has been considerable for a club our size and spending a million on players always goes down well with fans, spending a million on a playing service leaves questions we need that money on the team, Clough is here to make the call, football club or players , and football club wins every time. Fact a poor playing surface costs points.
And money spent on the playing surface is money well spent,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

AlanStag wrote:Genuine question, as supporters and a club are we too sentimental to those involved at the club for many years?

People have raised genuine concerns about the pitch yet because Mez has been here years he gets off on a light touch and people don’t bat an eye lid. The comments from prior threads show genuine expert advice was ignored and it’s only with hindsight we’re giving them the due credit.

I appreciate it’s a difficult conversation but we are a laughing stock with the pitch at the minute and it doesn’t reflect well on us as a club. I imagine our manager expects higher standards too.

There's definite cases of certain people or things at MTFC when criticised, it being deemed 'not cool' by people on here. I also think there's lots of clueless people looking for anything and anyone to have a go at :lol:
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Just read through it and he ended up being ‘discredited’ by some posters.

Interesting though that the issues has arisen again and that our pitch appears to be in a much worse state than others in the league.

I don’t profess to know anything about pitch care, but clearly the club needs to look at the issue with more of a critical eye

He was harangued on this page because of his politics on the political side of the site.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 pm

I very rarely venture on the politics pages Belly - it’s hard enough to have a sensible debate on this board!

:lol: :lol:

It does seem like he was very unfairly treated when reading that thread. I saw that you asked where the evidence for him being discredited was and in a rare turn of events I agreed with you!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm

With all the distancing rules ect I bet it’s hard to do anything with the pitch.

Mind I’ve always thought the roof of the west stand needs to let more light through to help the grass
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Big yella » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Just read through it and he ended up being ‘discredited’ by some posters.

Interesting though that the issues has arisen again and that our pitch appears to be in a much worse state than others in the league.

I don’t profess to know anything about pitch care, but clearly the club needs to look at the issue with more of a critical eye

He was harangued on this page because of his politics on the political side of the site.

He was discredited for telling us all he was a medical worker and that Covid 19 was a fake disease with £150,000 of his trusts money wasted on it. Then two weeks later telling us all what a hero he was having not slept for a fortnight fighting this awful disease.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Wellens isnt happy at all about the pitch. Agent mez ;)
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 pm

To be fair to Wellens he didn’t blame the pitch for defeat, he obviously wasn’t happy about it , but praised our midfield and said we played the conditions better than them, I thought he was fair enough
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Have we poached their groundsman as well? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote: