{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Southend scorefred sponsored by 'That's the Spirit'

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Southend scorefred sponsored by 'That's the Spirit'

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:18 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Sorry but that's totally UNACCEPTABLE. Thank goodness no fans were in they would've been resoundingly and derservedly booed off

Think on the bright side, as I know you always do. The apathy in the town would mean there wouldn’t be many there anyways.

You mean like you who haven’t attended in years ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Sorry but that's totally UNACCEPTABLE. Thank goodness no fans were in they would've been resoundingly and derservedly booed off

Think on the bright side, as I know you always do. The apathy in the town would mean there wouldn’t be many there anyways.

You mean like you who haven’t attended in years ..

:hysteria:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:54 pm

northern stag wrote:I’d keep Sweeney Clarke and Lapslie, the rest I wouldn’t miss if they moved on, we are short of pace up front.Cook doesn’t look interested even though he is an upgrade on Reid, and despite his goal I can’t take to Bowery.
3rd bottom will be an achievement with this shower of she height

Bit harsh on Gordon, and Bowery is certainly one of our better players. There are a few that I'd retain to make up the squad, and I think that Rawson is a decent partner for Sweeney. So I'd be looking at getting rid of a few fringe players and dropping some of the regulars to the bench. But January isn't the time for big changes.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:59 pm

StaginMorley wrote:Supported this club for 40 years. Can't remember not winning a home game before Christmas but glad to salvage a point. Much better second half with Cook on

I can remember when we didn’t even score a league goal at home until New Year’s Eve. That’s what you call bad.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:01 pm

StaginMorley wrote:Supported this club for 40 years. Can't remember not winning a home game before Christmas but glad to salvage a point. Much better second half with Cook on

Supported this club for 37 years. Pretty sure we're in exactly the same league position as we were for my first game.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:05 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:

Supported this club for 37 years. Pretty sure we're in exactly the same league position as we were for my first game.

:lol: :lol:

Makes you wonder why we bother eh?
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby northern stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Bradders wrote:
northern stag wrote:I’d keep Sweeney Clarke and Lapslie, the rest I wouldn’t miss if they moved on, we are short of pace up front.Cook doesn’t look interested even though he is an upgrade on Reid, and despite his goal I can’t take to Bowery.
3rd bottom will be an achievement with this shower of she height

Bit harsh on Gordon, and Bowery is certainly one of our better players. There are a few that I'd retain to make up the squad, and I think that Rawson is a decent partner for Sweeney. So I'd be looking at getting rid of a few fringe players and dropping some of the regulars to the bench. But January isn't the time for big changes.

The fact you think Bowery is one of our better players reinforces my opinion that we are basically she height, Gordon has been played out of position and has been awful for weeks, probably less so today, but the fact we talking about players being less bad says it all
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Least cloughys stopped us getting spanked by Barrowesque teams but we’re desperate for some quality. Can only get so much out of a limited quality team
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:28 pm

I think he’s doing the best he can with a poor hand.
What I don’t understand though is continually starting Reid and Bowery. Two points to back that up. First they’ve done not very much as a pairing (that’s being kind). Second things have invariably improved when he’s changed it.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Comfortably numb after this afternoons performance. Happy with a point, no. Happy with the performance, no. Happy with the side that has had three transfer windows bo accumulated in, no. Happy that we have the players to get us out of this, no.

We are without a shadow of a doubt the most pedestrian Stags side I have ever seen (in 39 yrs as most seem to be playing top trumps with their years of service). The passing and movement is laboured, the crossing is non-existent, the speed in which we close down is almost tortoise like. Other than Clarke, Lapslie, Benning (I still think he can be the player he has been), Charsley and Sweeney I don’t think we have any league 2 standard players in the starting line up. Cook & Maynard have the ability but are demoralized and ultimately perform beneath their abilities due to what is around them.

‘Our Nigel’, IMO has taken this squad as far as the squad are able to. The spine of the side needs replacing, other than Clarke and that is one hell of a task in January.

Utterly deflated this evening. A draw, that feels like a defeat due to the weight of realisation of just how poor we have become inside two seasons.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:05 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:I think he’s doing the best he can with a poor hand.
What I don’t understand though is continually starting Reid and Bowery. Two points to back that up. First they’ve done not very much as a pairing (that’s being kind). Second things have invariably improved when he’s changed it.

He's starting Reid and Riley because he doesn't rate the other two, I expect if anyone will take them, Cook and Maynard will leave next month. For me, no loss.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Rob wrote:

He's starting Reid and Riley because he doesn't rate the other two, I expect if anyone will take them, Cook and Maynard will leave next month. For me, no loss.

who is Riley?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 pm

Rob wrote:

What have we done or not done to Cook and Maynard?
Cook was player of the year, players player of the year before he came to us.
Maynard is a proven goal scorer and our leading scorer last year.
I'm sure any team in our league would be happy to take them on but not the wages maybe
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:Least cloughys stopped us getting spanked by Barrowesque teams but we’re desperate for some quality. Can only get so much out of a limited quality team
You mean the Barrow who won 3 - 0 today.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Just heard Clough interview , he is not a happy bunny.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:Least cloughys stopped us getting spanked by Barrowesque teams but we’re desperate for some quality. Can only get so much out of a limited quality team
You mean the Barrow who won 3 - 0 today.

Their first win since October.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:25 pm

The One wrote:Just heard Clough interview , he is not a happy bunny.

loads of these players will be gone.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:31 pm

We needed a win badly today and at home
Love Clough to be bits and would not wish for any other manager but I do think Cook should play even if not interested in the long term
Reid needs more time but we can’t afford the luxury and it looks like mission survival nows this season when at one time I thought we might just get close to the play offs esp after Forest Green result
Dear oh dear with Covid what a mess we are in and don’t envy Nigel and maybe he has over thought the potential here at M T F C and maybe JR and the good ground / training facilities etc swayed him too much
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Good fredding spiro. Can next one be sponsored by cabbage patch dolls ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Reid just isn’t what we need right now, really struggling to understand why Cloughie starts him
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Keep saying it, you can't keep relying on your two full backs to make chances and defend too.
Rawson is a liability. What was GC thinking about when he signed Rawson, O'Driscoll and Men??????? on 2yr deals, they are all clueless.

We were far better when we brought on a wide player in the second half.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:00 pm

victor A block wrote:Bowery shattered confidence . No goals in open play from 20 plus appearances.

He put that one right in the 2nd half. Well done Jordan. Great finish.

I don't know why he does not do that more often. He has the strength and pace. He just needs to be confident and more direct. He should have done this in the 2nd half at Carlisle instead of going down looking for a penalty.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:04 pm

It was a good finish from Bowery. As he got into the box I just wanted him to smash it and he did. I was expecting a pass to someone or a limp shot to the keeper but hit hit it and hit it well. More of the same next Saturday Jordan.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Rob wrote:

The thing is he hasn’t had Reid and BOWERY as a pair. Bowery has been playing on the left of a 3 with Reid in the middle and Charsley on the right.
In my opinion the 4-3-3 doesn’t work in this division unless you have the right personnel and have worked on it in preseason. It takes a lot of energy from the front 6 to play it well and can leave midfield a bit exposed. It can also leave the opposition central defenders with just one player to mark.

We started the season playing 3-5-2 under Coughlan, switched to 4-4-2 (diamond) under Cooper, went 4-4-2 (flat/ Maynard behind Bowery) and then to 4-3-3 under Clough.

When we went to 4-4-2 today, with Cook and Bowery both playing mainly through the middle, we looked like we could score a hatful. Most players will have played a 4-4-2 more than any other formation and they looked like they knew what they were doing.

Admittedly the 4-3-3 had worked well against Daggers, Cambridge and Crawley (barring 10 minutes) but it does take a lot of organisation and energy, and on a heavy pitch today it wasn’t working. I’m sure with a good pre-season it would work and is Clough’s preferred formation.

I’m not sure that Clough has a preferred starting front line. Nicky Maynard has been carrying injuries for some of the time Clough has been here which has allowed Reid his chance(he was a starter before that). Andy Cook hasn’t had a massive amount of game time since the first few games of the season.He is a different sort of player to Bowery but I don’t think both can start in a 4-3-3. Cook is much better in the air than Bowery, and is probably a better finisher, but is also older and slower.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Kenwood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:06 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Reid just isn’t what we need right now, really struggling to understand why Cloughie starts him

I haven’t seen anything in Reid to make me think he is good enough for league football however put in Nigel’s position I can understand why he has gone with him. We massively lack pace in the final third (well all over the pitch in fact) And Reid is “supposedly” the one striker with pace.

However I think he now needs to stick with a 442 formation and give Bowery and Cook the benefit down the middle until he can strengthen our options in January

This may mean we go too long at times but on our pitch that is probably the best option anyway
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum