{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January transfer window news

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January transfer window news

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:01 pm

View on Akins from Ed Walker.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

All stagsnet needs to know is - does he score 20 goals a season? If he doesnt they won't want him on here :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:44 pm

One of the best times to sign players from a club can be when there is a change of manager because they may not get on with some existing players or just want to shake things up or just change things for the sake of it.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has a lot of the Dutch natural arrogance when it comes to football so he might make mistakes releasing players just because he wants to be seen to be changing things at Burton or doing things differently.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

All stagsnet needs to know is - does he score 20 goals a season? If he doesnt they won't want him on here :lol:

Well the short answer to that 20 goal a season question is NO.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:00 pm

He’s a powerhouse and from what I remember a massive utility player, I’m sure clough has played him Rwb, Lwb, right mid, left/right wing. Central striker.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:03 pm

old ram stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Well the short answer to that 20 goal a season question is NO.

Doesn't mean he's a bad player though, we do need new attacking options imo and id welcome him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:20 pm

lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Here we go!

That would be a quality signing, can’t see burton wanting to let him go though.

No it would. His goal scoring record is poor for a striker!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:21 pm

I’ll freely admit I know nothing about this lad but he sounds very similar to Jordan Bowery who is just starting to prove his worth. I think I would rather have an out and out goal poacher rather than another strong powerful player with a poor first touch.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Lucas has been Burtins top scorer for two seasons in a row (with 14 I think) and all the while he's been playing in multiple positions including very often as an attacking right or even left back.

I remember the first time I watched him play was in League 2 shortly after signing and I turned to my mate and said this lad is a beast at this level.

There are times when he can look a bit clumsy getting the ball under control but then holds it and comes away with it.

I think his best position is out wide cutting in, he's a managers dream in that he works his nuts off, is always fit and can and does do a very good job wherever he plays.

His team mates will love him to bits ans he sets the tone for others with his work ethic

My Burton mates have turned on him a bit and seem to think he's been waiting for the call, that shows the fickle nature of fans as Lucas has literally been incredible for them.

Nigel has a great relationship with both player and possibly just as important, his agent and I for one would love to see them reunited.

He will score goals at this level, maybe not quite 20 but he'll certainly get us double figures and in an NC team, that's plenty good enough as the midfield will be expected to chip in with 7 or 8 each.

I rarely disagree with Bear73 and he rarely gets much wrong when it comes to judging players but for me Akins isn't the only Burton player I'd like to see us sign.

The fact Buxton has gone will help us here, as the senior players I want us to sign ALL loved him to bits.

Also to answer the question did NC sign Hemmings, no he didn't but I do think he'd looked very closely at him before he left.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Norman wrote:
lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Here we go!

He’s played the majority of games in recent years as a winger. Also played a lot of games as a wing back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’ll freely admit I know nothing about this lad but he sounds very similar to Jordan Bowery who is just starting to prove his worth. I think I would rather have an out and out goal poacher rather[b] than another strong powerful player with a poor first touch.

[/b

Do you honestly think Jordan has a poor first touch?]
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:33 pm

broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’ll freely admit I know nothing about this lad but he sounds very similar to Jordan Bowery who is just starting to prove his worth. I think I would rather have an out and out goal poacher rather[b] than another strong powerful player with a poor first touch.

[/b

Do you honestly think Jordan has a poor first touch?]

No I was talking about being big and powerful and playing from the wing. It was the reference to the Incoming player’s poor first touch I was commenting on. It is Bowery’s first touch that makes him the player he is. It’s Reid that is supposedly big and powerful and has a poor first touch. That’s why we need an out and out poacher as we already have players in the first category (Reid and Cook).
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:41 pm

A pint, redeemable from me as soon as we are allowed back in the pubs on match days, for the best, funniest, plain bonkers transfer rumour or scoop!!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:13 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:28 pm

A lot of his goals from in or around the 6 yard box and for me that's been one area where we need to be better.

Someone willing to get their head knocked off to get on the end of a move.

He really would be a great addition and would then give us the option of playing either him or Jordan through the middle.

Stop one handful maybe, stopping both of them would really give defences a headache.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm

Akins to Mansfield, i dont believe it , he would not have to move house and is a good solid all round player, more important than that he is a team player, and would not affect the budget.
Looking at the port Vale match he is a player who could make a difference, A friend of mine a Forest fan said he was in complete shock, our centre forward was playing left full back against one of their best players Matty Cash and had him in his pocket, last season he was sold for 16 million pounds, and if he played him today, Cash would still be in his pockett
My view of him he reminds me of Paulo Wanchop looks gangling takes long steps, so his pace is misleading, can frustrate at times, but is sadly missed when not playing,
This lad is a big presence, and 100% is a starting point for him, had two seasons in the championship with a struggling Burton and did very well. Coming to Mansfield a joke.
in January, maybe in the summer
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Up front, the one attribute that we seem to be seriously lacking is pace. I suspect that every good defence will enjoy playing against our forwards because they never have to worry about getting pulled out of position to deal with a sudden burst of pace. So I'll be hoping for a CJ type of player. At the very least we can bring him on for the last twenty minutes and cut the opposition defence to shreds, even if he's not the greatest at scoring.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Can you imagine Bowery and Akins either side of a striker with a bit of pace. Would be good!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:11 pm

lifestags wrote:Can you imagine Bowery and Akins either side of a striker with a bit of pace. Would be good!

Where's Mickey Boulding these days ......
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:53 pm

Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:Can you imagine Bowery and Akins either side of a striker with a bit of pace. Would be good!

Where's Mickey Boulding these days ......

He would have Rory on one side
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:26 am

Norman wrote:
lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Here we go!

good job he's a winger than you moaning twit
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:30 am

Has anyone watched Reids goals on u tube.He looks a very good player and scored some great goals.I know who I would rather have.Akins of course.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:25 am

geoffhill wrote:Has anyone watched Reids goals on u tube.He looks a very good player and scored some great goals.I know who I would rather have.Akins of course.

Reid has not had an attempt on goal that i can recall since his goal at Cambridge, think he needs time away from the starting line up, even if its to the bench.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am

old ram stag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Has anyone watched Reids goals on u tube.He looks a very good player and scored some great goals.I know who I would rather have.Akins of course.

Reid has not had an attempt on goal that i can recall since his goal at Cambridge, think he needs time away from the starting line up, even if its to the bench.

But apart from Cook, who will not last 90 minutes, we have no alternative. The starting two have picked themselves for the last month as we haven’t had fit alternatives. Bowery has now played himself into a must start position and Reid is also slowly improving.

I feel that if we put Maynard back in when he is fit again, it will mean Bowery reverts to a target man and is less effective. As things are going the best two are starting as Maynard hasn’t been pulling up trees anyway. I would only change things if a new striker came to the club.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 pm

I would definitely replace Reid with Cook. If Cook struggles to do a full 90 (which I think is a myth) then bring Reid on as fresh legs late on.

Cook is much better in pretty much every facet of the game
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum