{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Goals

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Goals

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Do we have enough?

Reid... raw, without quality service (as with any striker) isn't going to get us the amount of goals we need

Bowery... excellent player, first player on pitch for me for everything he does.... bar score goals

Maynard... goals scorer. Maybe past it? Out of favour. Should be starting week in week out for me.

Cook.... again should be starting, is something going off in training.

Clear to see Reid and bowery combo ain't going to get us goal

But who is?? New signing??
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Goals

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 pm

If we had Knowles, I'd give him a few starts over reid. ATM doesn't seem like Bowery is gonna be dropped so it'd a question of who partners him?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:35 am

Stats on four strikers we have

Bowery 1 goal 17 apps 1241 mins played goal/1241 mins
Reid 2 goal 15 apps 881 mins played goal/441 mins
Maynard 4 goal 20 apps 940 mins played goal/235 mins
cook 3 goal 17 apps 946 mins played goal/315 mins

None of these stats are very good but

Most recently bowery is getting all starts but cant hit a barn door thats why we are down bottom end of league albeit on an unbeaten run, note he has 2 assists so really is earning his keep. Have to be starting maynard and cook statistically by a country mile if we are to score more goals and convert draws to wins.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Bowery controls the ball better than Cook but won't score goals from where he plays.Maynard has to start as he is our best natural goalscorer.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:10 pm

I don’t think we’ve got the right balance up top, players are too similar, we need some pace up front.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Our goals for and against is pretty much identical to Tranmeres and they are mid table. It’s about performances and results in individual games for me.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:22 pm

Been saying it for weeks..
Pace Pace Pace...
Lack it all over the pitch.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:36 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Stats on four strikers we have

Bowery 1 goal 17 apps 1241 mins played goal/1241 mins
Reid 2 goal 15 apps 881 mins played goal/441 mins
Maynard 4 goal 20 apps 940 mins played goal/235 mins
cook 3 goal 17 apps 946 mins played goal/315 mins

None of these stats are very good but

Most recently bowery is getting all starts but cant hit a barn door thats why we are down bottom end of league albeit on an unbeaten run, note he has 2 assists so really is earning his keep. Have to be starting maynard and cook statistically by a country mile if we are to score more goals and convert draws to wins.

It is odd that he is often on target but he hits the ball without any venom at all.
What i struggle with is that he has the best touch of anyone other than Lapslie and could be such an asset but when he has more assists than goals and the strike pair look so goal shy. It is hard to see why one of Maynard and Cook aren't starting regularly
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:20 pm

I certainly thought that Maynard and Cook should have come on earlier against Crawley. I think you need to give sub at least 1 minutes to get into a game when they come on.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Been saying it for weeks..
Pace Pace Pace...

This. And actually only a few players with pace, will make a huge difference imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:08 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Been saying it for weeks..
Pace Pace Pace...

This. And actually only a few players with pace, will make a huge difference imo.

This is where we miss CJ
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:11 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:If we had Knowles, I'd give him a few starts over reid. ATM doesn't seem like Bowery is gonna be dropped so it'd a question of who partners him?

Knowles can’t get a regular run in a national league side so what makes you think he will start banging them in , in the league?
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Imo Bowery has made himself kind of undroppable right now. Granted, he's not exactly fantastic but his work rate is among the best in the team, he provides an outlet and makes a nuisance of himself, just a shame he's lacking a real end product. Reid I think could come good, he's surprisingly weak though, gets bullied off the ball often. In Cook and Maynard we have a couple of strikers that could make it into almost any team in this division on reputation alone. Maynard though looks kind of disinterested and Cook had a very lively start to the season but seems to be struggling for consistent form, likely due to reduced game time. It wouldn't surprise me if one or the other doesn't feature in Clough's long term plans.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:11 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Imo Bowery has made himself kind of undroppable right now. Granted, he's not exactly fantastic but his work rate is among the best in the team, he provides an outlet and makes a nuisance of himself, just a shame he's lacking a real end product. Reid I think could come good, he's surprisingly weak though, gets bullied off the ball often. In Cook and Maynard we have a couple of strikers that could make it into almost any team in this division on reputation alone. Maynard though looks kind of disinterested and Cook had a very lively start to the season but seems to be struggling for consistent form, likely due to reduced game time. It wouldn't surprise me if one or the other doesn't feature in Clough's long term plans.

Apart from 1 or 2 I don't think any of this current squad are in his "long term plans", we are down there struggling and devoid of ideas for a reason
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:56 pm

I think with Maynard he'll always get a few goals, likewise Cooky but NC isn't going to drop Bowery and he's not going to play all 3 so it's the bench for one of them. Even Rob Duffy found the net a few times.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby golfer03 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:04 pm

For Grimsby's goal the nearest stags outfield player after Benning was Bowery!
The lad works hard for the team.
golfer03
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 pm

golfer03 wrote:For Grimsby's goal the nearest stags outfield player after Benning was Bowery!

Yes he does and is often back helping out.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
golfer03 wrote:For Grimsby's goal the nearest stags outfield player after Benning was Bowery!

Jesus wept, I'm so glad Stant and Wilkinson, Clarke and Eccles, didn't come back to help out and just fired us to promotion like a (great) striker does.

While ever you're content with Fraser McLachlans hard-working twin in the team we are going nowhere.
Cloughie will know this but unfortunately his hands are tied at the minute.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:44 am

With you on this woody
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:41 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Jesus wept, I'm so glad Stant and Wilkinson, Clarke and Eccles, didn't come back to help out and just fired us to promotion like a (great) striker does.

While ever you're content with Fraser McLachlans hard-working twin in the team we are going nowhere.

In the modern game, all forwards come back to help out in defence as did the legends you name above. Fraser McLaughlan wasn’t a striker either so not a good comparison Parky. Maybe the perm has flopped into your eyes and it’s time to visit the hairdressers.

On a more serious note, players usually do as they are told and if Jordan is coming back to help, it is no doubt under instructions from the manager. If it isn’t and he’s doing it off his own back then I’m sure he will be dropped soon. If you don’t think that’s the correct way to play maybe you should have a word with Mr Clough. I think it’s called tracking your man.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:51 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

In the modern game, all forwards come back to help out in defence as did the legends you name above. Fraser McLaughlan wasn’t a striker either so not a good comparison Parky. Maybe the perm has flopped into your eyes and it’s time to visit the hairdressers.

On a more serious note, players usually do as they are told and if Jordan is coming back to help, it is no doubt under instructions from the manager. If it isn’t and he’s doing it off his own back then I’m sure he will be dropped soon. If you don’t think that’s the correct way to play maybe you should have a word with Mr Clough. I think it’s called tracking your man.

The comparison with McLachlan was to make the point that he also gave 100 per cent but was crap, just like Bowery.
I suppose that Maynard said Clough wanted them to do what you're good at and I suppose putting it in the onion bag ain't his forte, not bad for a striker :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:

The comparison with McLachlan was to make the point that he also gave 100 per cent but was crap, just like Bowery.
I suppose that Maynard said Clough wanted them to do what you're good at and I suppose putting it in the onion bag ain't his forte, not bad for a striker :roll:

No he’s not good at putting it in the net, which isn’t in dispute. But why criticise the man for doing what he is good at and has been instructed to do by his manager? We don’t get onto Gordon for putting good crosses in only when he doesn’t defend well so what’s the difference? And I’m only using Kellan as an example not having a dig.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 am

I suppose that Maynard said Clough wanted them to do what you're good at and I suppose putting it in the onion bag ain't his forte, not bad for a striker :roll:[/quote]

No he’s not good at putting it in the net, which isn’t in dispute. But why criticise the man for doing what he is good at and has been instructed to do by his manager? We don’t get onto Gordon for putting good crosses in only when he doesn’t defend well so what’s the difference? And I’m only using Kellan as an example not having a dig.[/quote]

I made the point last season and this that Kellan is woeful at defending and has cost us goals and that was me having a dig. If you cant discuss on a discussion board where we think we could be improved without 'blind faith' coming into play and not allowing an opinion then you may as well shut it down.
My opinion and the last on the matter is that i think Cloughs hands are tied with the garbage he was left
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:03 am

I don't think the problem is Bowery himself, it's the tactics used.

His stats before Mansfield, and his stats (and by watching him play) clearly show the lad clearly isn't a goalscorer - never has, never will be.

However, as pointed out - he's pretty handy at everything else.

Maybe it could be that when we've more secure midfield options we could look at a 433 - Bowery with Reid and Maynard either side of him?

Either way, we've no pace - no element of surprise about us - that could be looked into.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Looking at our strike force pace- power- goals- natural scoring ability- in the Premier league a player with these skills would cost millions, in league 2 any player scoring goals would soon be snapped up by a bigger clubs in a higher division. Bowery age 29 always been a lower league striker==Cook age 30 again spent his career in lower leagues=Reid 26 first time in league football
Maynard former premier striker been in lower leagues since his Bury days and on his second season at Mansfield 34 years of age. This then is our strike force to rip league 2 apart,
Thankfully Clough thinks goals should come from anyone Defenders =Midfield =Forwards all strikers go through barren patches, and perhaps our expectations as fans cloud the facts.
we have failed to score once since 24th oct, so perhaps failing to keep clean sheets is the problem scoring 3 at home and still not winning. proving it is a team game.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum