{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Grimsby post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Nigel Clough; Grimsby post match & match highlights

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Ya gotta love the GK experts on here.
Fancy a well coached, promotion winning ,experienced GK not knowing where the line between the ball and the centre of the goal is...
Peak Stagsnet right there....

Who said he didn't know where it was? It's just a bit of information I picked up whilst getting my coaching badges, which I thought might assist in discussing whether Stech was out of position or not. Silly old me thought that this was a discussion board?

Stech is clearly the boo boys favourite punch bag. I've tried to defend him a few times, but it's getting more and more difficult.

Rawson should definitely have done better too in my opinion
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:31 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Fancy a well coached, promotion winning ,experienced GK not knowing where the line between the ball and the centre of the goal is...

Who said he didn't know where it was? It's just a bit of information I picked up whilst getting my coaching badges, which I thought might assist in discussing whether Stech was out of position or not. Silly old me thought that this was a discussion board?

Stech is clearly the boo boys favourite punch bag. I've tried to defend him a few times, but it's getting more and more difficult.

If you’ve got your coaching badges and genuinely believe that goal was the keeper’s fault I don’t rate the standard of the course
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:42 pm

I haven't said it was Stechs fault. I agreed that he was out of position. The goal came from a series of errors and should have been prevented.

On the whole I don't think Stech is particularly good and only average at the level.

He has made a few glaring and obvious mistakes which have led directly to goals and his positioning is open to reasonable debate for most of the goals we concede.

He has made a few good saves, but I don't think they balance out the amount of errors.

He's not the worst we've ever had, but we could do with better.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:54 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I haven't said it was Stechs fault. I agreed that he was out of position. The goal came from a series of errors and should have been prevented.

On the whole I don't think Stech is particularly good and only average at the level.

He has made a few glaring and obvious mistakes which have led directly to goals and his positioning is open to reasonable debate for most of the goals we concede.

He has made a few good saves, but I don't think they balance out the amount of errors.

He's not the worst we've ever had, but we could do with better.

I think that is probably about right. If he had been a yard further to his left when the shot was taken, he would probably been able to hold the ball. If the scorer had shot to his right, the defender would have got a block in. Fine but important margins but also about average for this level which is what he should be judged on.

Teams that gain automatic promotion usually have keepers who are above average for that level. Stech is not a calamity by any means but from what I’ve seen, Stone has more potential but will only reach it with experience and I would therefore play him In readiness for next year. And no, the automatics are not expected but should be aimed for every year if you have ambition.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Think we are looking at the wrong end of the pitch, defensively we are OK for league 2 but scoring goals and making chances is below the standard expected at this level.
First half against Crawley is where we need to be every week, then we need to put it in the net, simples.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Nobody covered themselves in glory for the goal. You can pick faults with the actions on Rawson, Sweeney, Stech and Benning.

I think you are correct in that with the possible exception of Benning. When Sweeney was pulled across to try and cover for Rawson, it left Benning with two jobs to do. He couldn’t cover both the man and the goal line and unfortunately opted for the line. That left the extra man free to knock the ball in. If Sweeney was still there I have no doubt Benning would have stuck with the man and maybe cleared or got a block in.

Rawson, poor mistake which is actually quite common in his play but he often gets away with it.

Sweeney not tight enough and allowed the man all the room in the world to get a shot in.

Stech poor positioning and maybe could have held the shot better

Benning, sold down the river with too much to do to recover the situation.

It’s a shame really as it was their only real chance in the match up to that point.

I just don’t understand why he felt the need to cover the line? You don’t often see a defender covering the line when the opposition are shooting from 20 yards.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Nobody covered themselves in glory for the goal. You can pick faults with the actions on Rawson, Sweeney, Stech and Benning.

I think you are correct in that with the possible exception of Benning. When Sweeney was pulled across to try and cover for Rawson, it left Benning with two jobs to do. He couldn’t cover both the man and the goal line and unfortunately opted for the line. That left the extra man free to knock the ball in. If Sweeney was still there I have no doubt Benning would have stuck with the man and maybe cleared or got a block in.

Rawson, poor mistake which is actually quite common in his play but he often gets away with it.

Sweeney not tight enough and allowed the man all the room in the world to get a shot in.

Stech poor positioning and maybe could have held the shot better

Benning, sold down the river with too much to do to recover the situation.

It’s a shame really as it was their only real chance in the match up to that point.

I just don’t understand why he felt the need to cover the line? You don’t often see a defender covering the line when the opposition are shooting from 20 yards.

No but we can’t see the whole pitch so don’t know what made him make that decision. Maybe he didn’t expect Stech to get such a strong hand on the shot and thought that’s where the ball would end up, I’m sure there would be a reason for it though. Whatever the reason, his contribution to the goal was only very minor at worst.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Stech he does leave room for discussion but like all the players is a work in progress, at the moment Clough can only work with what is available, We know he questions players and their actions, but just making whole sale changes does not work, you have to encourage them to work as a team., Players will not rule at Mansfield, the team wins or loses as a unit
and Attitude which fans dont see plays a big part, that shirt must be worn with pride. And Clough feels the squad does that, i look at the squad and just changing like for like does not turn draws into wins, Team spirit does that, players will change,, but team spirit and the shirt will be a constant requirement
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks for making me smile lads on this miserable Sunday. I'm quite new on here, but seems there are some XXXL experts on here. My old gaffer used to say, an expert . An Ex is a has been. And a SPURT is a drip under pressure.l
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Feel free to offer an opinion. It’s a forum after all.

Can’t understand this mentality of if you point out mistakes and where they could be proved upon you’re branded an ‘expert’ asif that’s some sort of insult.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Feel free to offer an opinion. It’s a forum after all.

Can’t understand this mentality of if you point out mistakes and where they could be proved upon you’re branded an ‘expert’ asif that’s some sort of insult.

You are of course 100% correct Musings, this is a forum and if I feel someone is talking out their Harris I have the right to state so.

Every goal that Stech concedes there are numerous posts about his positioning, his handling his reaction, his decision making it'll be his choice of boots next....
NC still has him as our first choice GK and until he changes that I'm 100% behind him and won't be on here undermining him by giving "expert" analysis on every goal he concedes

Its becoming tiresome but to be fair just the normal type of Stagsnettery I've become accustomed to so I dont know why I'm so bothered by it.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:55 pm

It's a football forum Cunno. We want fans to give their opinions about players and games like you have many times before. It's what makes it interesting.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Feel free to offer an opinion. It’s a forum after all.

You are of course 100% correct Musings, this is a forum and if I feel someone is talking out their Harris I have the right to state so.

Every goal that Stech concedes there are numerous posts about his positioning, his handling his reaction, his decision making it'll be his choice of boots next....
NC still has him as our first choice GK and until he changes that I'm 100% behind him and won't be on here undermining him by giving "expert" analysis on every goal he concedes

Its becoming tiresome but to be fair just the normal type of Stagsnettery I've become accustomed to so I dont know why I'm so bothered by it.

There is analysis of his positioning, decision making etc because he keeps making errors. It’s that simple.

I don’t recall anything but praise in games where he played well and didn’t make any errors (FGR, Cambridge). He’s not getting singled out, he’s simply making more errors which lead to goals. I’ve seen criticism/analysis of every player in the squad so far this season.

Were you ok to accept the expert analysis of the manager when he criticised Stech after the Colchester and Crawley games?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:43 pm

In Pressman mould let's not forget Goram and Southall.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:37 pm

w12stag wrote:In Pressman mould let's not forget Goram and Southall.

And the Skegby keeper
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:07 am

fox in the box wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:

If you’ve got your coaching badges and genuinely believe that goal was the keeper’s fault I don’t rate the standard of the course

It wasn’t his fault but if you don’t know that if you parry a shot, that you put it into a non dangerous area, then I feel sorry for you
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:31 am

On a different note , and apologies if its been mentioned before, but isn't it good to get a 4 minute appraisal of the game from NC instead of the 8 minute drones form John Dempster and Graham Coughlan. Well done Nigel for limiting it and telling it like it is with no excuses.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:20 am

Herts Stag wrote:On a different note , and apologies if its been mentioned before, but isn't it good to get a 4 minute appraisal of the game from NC instead of the 8 minute drones form John Dempster and Graham Coughlan. Well done Nigel for limiting it and telling it like it is with no excuses.

Has young Nigel come out with immortal saying pre game interview when playing someone like Morecambe, 'they're a massive club' yet?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum