{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stech

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stech

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Ok i think goalkeepers are just as important has a 20 goal strikers, more so, they can win many games , The first rule is if you come out for a ball you have to get it other wise your goal is exposed. Stech has come for two many balls and been second best, narrowing you angle from the edge of you goal area shucks just leaves you exposed, Stech commanding his 6 yrd box is non -existent, their 3rd goal again the striker just knocked it over his head because Stech stood on the 6yrd line, if he had been on his goal line he would have stopped it.
Clough knows a mistake from a goalkeeper can be costly, and he does give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps stone to young for the pressure the club is going through.
Tongue in cheek if we can get money for Stech in January we should let him go, at his age he should know better, [ will look him up on Wikipedia.]
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm

AlanStag wrote:Yes Gordon made a mistake in the build up, but what’s the point in having a keeper if we’re not allowed to concede any chances? That’s basically saying Stech is rammel because if we let them have half a chance he’s gonna let it in. Which is correct most times.

Stech compounds Gordon’s error by not letting Gordon recover by steaming out of his goal. If he doesn’t come flying out for no reason Gordon can track their forward and force him wide.

Let’s not forget too that the first goal gave them a shot in the arm. If they don’t score that does Watters have the confidence to attemp their third? It was the same at Leyton Orient, he let a soft goal in and it gives the other team confidence.

There was no way Gordon was going to recover and force the player wide. He could have run to the corner flag and Gordon still wouldn’t have caught him, in fact the gap was getting wider. So Stech stays where he is and allows Gordon to try and catch up or he has a go himself. Either way Watters was going to get a shot off without any real encumbrance The earlier he has to take the shot, the more likely he is to mess it up, so for me come out and give him the shot early. Stay and give him time to think about it and the chances of him fluffing it are reduced considerably. Watters took the chance well, as he did with the second and that’s the sum of it. Gordon’s mistake and Stech was unable to recover it for him.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Give the lad a chance, Burnley have bred some good keepers.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:27 pm

First goal and 3rd goal are unforgivable imo. Why rush out? Then Rawson forgets he’s actually playing a game of football. 2 points dropped and it’s those two at fault. Clough will know what’s needed to be shipped out.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Have now watched the goals conceded again and I do agree that Stech was wrong to charge from his line for the first and maybe poorly positioned for the third.

But I repeat, we were YET AGAIN caught short at the back by the gung-ho attack at all costs tactics for both those goals.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am

Kernow wrote:Give the lad a chance, Burnley have bred some good keepers.

Have they?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:32 am

Heaton and Pope come to mind. Top class keepers.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:35 am

Herts Stag wrote:Heaton and Pope come to mind. Top class keepers.

Heaton was produced through Manchester United's youth system, and he'd played nearly 100 games before joining Burnley. Same with Pope who was at Ipswich and Charlton (and Bury Town), playing 60/70 games before joining Burnley.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:42 am

oldweststander wrote:Have now watched the goals conceded again and I do agree that Stech was wrong to charge from his line for the first and maybe poorly positioned for the third.

But I repeat, we were YET AGAIN caught short at the back by the gung-ho attack at all costs tactics for both those goals.

The first goal was a counter attack from our own free kick in the Crawley half when we had Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning back marking Max Watters. Kellan Gordon should have put it in Row Z and then let Watters run in behind him. Stech then came charging miles out of his goal and made it easier for Watters to score.

The second goal we were defending a corner.

The third goal was another counter attack when Jordan Bowery was tackled by Sesay outside the Crawley area and we had two defenders back marking Max Watters and Ashley Nadesan. Mal Benning and Ryan Sweeney were pressing high up the pitch. Farrend Rawson does not read the flight of the ball and is running to the left so the ball goes over his head. Kellan Gordon should have been covering behind Watters and Stech again makes it easier for Watters to score by charging off his line. If Stech stays on his line then he probably saves Watters' shot. It was a good finish though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:35 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
AlanStag wrote:Yes Gordon made a mistake in the build up, but what’s the point in having a keeper if we’re not allowed to concede any chances? That’s basically saying Stech is rammel because if we let them have half a chance he’s gonna let it in. Which is correct most times.

Stech compounds Gordon’s error by not letting Gordon recover by steaming out of his goal. If he doesn’t come flying out for no reason Gordon can track their forward and force him wide.

Let’s not forget too that the first goal gave them a shot in the arm. If they don’t score that does Watters have the confidence to attemp their third? It was the same at Leyton Orient, he let a soft goal in and it gives the other team confidence.

There was no way Gordon was going to recover and force the player wide. He could have run to the corner flag and Gordon still wouldn’t have caught him, in fact the gap was getting wider. So Stech stays where he is and allows Gordon to try and catch up or he has a go himself. Either way Watters was going to get a shot off without any real encumbrance The earlier he has to take the shot, the more likely he is to mess it up, so for me come out and give him the shot early. Stay and give him time to think about it and the chances of him fluffing it are reduced considerably. Watters took the chance well, as he did with the second and that’s the sum of it. Gordon’s mistake and Stech was unable to recover it for him.

Gordon was level with Watters when the ball was struck, Gordon is goal side so even if he's slightly behind/slower he has less ground to cover to block off the goal. If Stech stays put Gordon has a good chance of making Watters think twice about shooting or blocking a shot. Notwithstanding Stech himself has a better chance of saving any shot if he stays put, if you look at it in % terms Stech has increased the chance of a goal not reduced it.

AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:40 am

AlanStag wrote:

Gordon was level with Watters when the ball was struck, Gordon is goal side so even if he's slightly behind/slower he has less ground to cover to block off the goal. If Stech stays put Gordon has a good chance of making Watters think twice about shooting or blocking a shot. Notwithstanding Stech himself has a better chance of saving any shot if he stays put, if you look at it in % terms Stech has increased the chance of a goal not reduced it.

That has hit the nail firmly on the head.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:22 pm

AlanStag wrote:

Sorry but even with this still, Gordon is nowhere near enough to get a tackle or block in. He must be at least 6 feet away from Watters who isn’t far short of the penalty spot. How long do you think Gordon’s legs are? Watters has already taken the shot at that point and beaten Stech. If you put Stech back on his actual goal line, which half of the goal should he cover? From that distance and position, Watters could put the ball to either post.

If Gordon makes a desperate lunge, he takes Watters out and not only gives a penalty but also gets sent off.

I stand by what I’ve already said, Gordon’s mistake with Stech trying to rectify it unsuccessfully.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:41 pm

I’ve just had several more looks at the goal and the camera doesn’t do Stech any favours as it doesn’t clearly show his starting position. I think most think Stech started his run from his goal line but I don’t think that is correct as he appears to be somewhere near to the penalty spot in a central position or slightly to his left of it.

For him to regain his goal line as suggested, he would have to cover roughly the same amount of ground as he did to his final position when the shot was taken. Additionally he would either have to run backwards or turn his back on the attack which would have been unforgivable.

You could argue that he shouldn’t have been in that position in the first place but if you look back to the original pass, it appeared the ball would be played to Stech’s left and thus why he was on that side of his goal.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:57 pm

I’ve watched the clip again in slow-mo, and at the risk of being called a wannabe Pep again my thoughts are as follows :

1. The first thing is Watters strolls past Maris on the halfway line after Gordon skied the ball into the air. Watters is gambling thinking his teammate is going to win the header, Maris thinks Clarke is going to win it and is ball watching.

2. I don’t think Gordon could’ve done anything to stop the run, Watters had the momentum and is going away from Gordon at the time he hits the shot, rather than Gordon catching up.

3. He takes his shot early because Stech is still running and hasn’t had time to set himself. The ball goes through Stech’s legs and into the middle of the goal, an easy finish for Watters. Note that Benning, Gordon and Maris all outstretch arms at Stech for committing.

4. My thoughts are that Stech should be on his six yard line with his right foot in line with his near post. Make the striker do the work. Is Watters can pick out a corner then fair play, a lot more difficult than a side foot down the middle. Watters may have chosen to take a touch, at which time Stech could’ve then chosen to engage further, or it may have given Gordon a chance to catch up and pressurise the shot.

Conclusion, Gordon should have cleared the ball in the first place, or passed it black to Stech. Maris could’ve been more alert, but Stech also shouldn’t have come for the ball.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve watched the clip again in slow-mo, and at the risk of being called a wannabe Pep again my thoughts are as follows :

1. The first thing is Watters strolls past Maris on the halfway line after Gordon skied the ball into the air. Watters is gambling thinking his teammate is going to win the header, Maris thinks Clarke is going to win it and is ball watching.

2. I don’t think Gordon could’ve done anything to stop the run, Watters had the momentum and is going away from Gordon at the time he hits the shot, rather than Gordon catching up.

3. He takes his shot early because Stech is still running and hasn’t had time to set himself. The ball goes through Stech’s legs and into the middle of the goal, an easy finish for Watters. Note that Benning, Gordon and Maris all outstretch arms at Stech for committing.

4. My thoughts are that Stech should be on his six yard line with his right foot in line with his near post. Make the striker do the work. Is Watters can pick out a corner then fair play, a lot more difficult than a side foot down the middle. Watters may have chosen to take a touch, at which time Stech could’ve then chosen to engage further, or it may have given Gordon a chance to catch up and pressurise the shot.

Conclusion, Gordon should have cleared the ball in the first place, or passed it black to Stech. Maris could’ve been more alert, but Stech also shouldn’t have come for the ball.

Well Pep, I think you are correct in respect of Gordon, Maris and Clark but a little unfair on Stech. I’m not saying he couldn’t have done better but the main cause of the goal was not his mistake, that was down to Gordon. Stech was the only one who could have prevented the goal once the defence/midfield had fluffed their lines, but if he done so we would all have saying it was a wonderful save. He can’t pull it off every time and that would not have been bread and butter stuff.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve watched the clip again in slow-mo, and at the risk of being called a wannabe Pep again my thoughts are as follows :

Well Pep, I think you are correct in respect of Gordon, Maris and Clark but a little unfair on Stech. I’m not saying he couldn’t have done better but the main cause of the goal was not his mistake, that was down to Gordon. Stech was the only one who could have prevented the goal once the defence/midfield had fluffed their lines, but if he done so we would all have saying it was a wonderful save. He can’t pull it off every time and that would not have been bread and butter stuff.

You’re welcome to your opinion Sandy, nice to have a debate with some analysis for once, a pretty good thread all in all with reasoned opinions etc.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

You’re welcome to your opinion Sandy, nice to have a debate with some analysis for once, a pretty good thread all in all with reasoned opinions etc.

I agree with Peps.... Sorry musings opinion.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Well==well for a debate to have this much content shows that our goalkeeper does not offer the confidence needed for tight games and clean sheets, 10 games without defeat how many clean sheets ,looking at the goal and the reaction of the defenders says it all, ive said my piece on Stech, Shucks bet olli is looking forward to seeing him in Grimsby
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:03 pm

Hes made some corkers of saves at important times.

Just too many times had a rush of blood to the head. suppose this is why he is league 2
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:43 pm

AlanStag wrote:

[/quote

If you watch it in real time the ball is still travelling to the left . Watters did well to get the shot off but I think had Stech stayed on the six yard line , Watters would have had to take the option to take another touch which would have forced him further wide. Defensive and goalkeeping error for me .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum