{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stech

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stech

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:43 pm

There’s a goal keeping analyst on twitter who has analysed one on one situations and the different techniques used.

Here’s the thread for anyone interested:

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:57 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:If he was rooted to his line he'd be getting crucified. He can't be blamed for today's goals

don’t agree with their first not being his fault sorry, if you are coming for it, get it !

He wasn't 'coming for it' he was narrowing the angle, which is exactly what he should be doing. There is also a school of thought that once the angle is narrowed, he should be trying to delay the striker instead of trying to win the ball as this risks a penalty and red card (lass so with the current rules).

Kellen Gordon is the player at fault for the first goal.

There's my view of it.

That said I think there was a collective team failure at the start of the second half not to take into account the collective push from Crawley especially as top goal score watters was on.
Last edited by Number63 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:All 3 goals were great finishes....100% blame on the defence for each one.
1.narrowed the angle spot on like a keeper should do... Was unlucky to get caught out between the legs. Good finish thou.
2.no keeper in the world would get close to that.
3.as above.. Not a chance your saving that.

Makes me laugh how many Peter schmeichel's there is on here :lol:

Definitely agree on 2nd & 3rd goal, not many keepers get anywhere near those.

By the same logic, Crawleys keeper was awful for not saving Lapslie's or Cook's shots, despite both of those being unstoppable
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:02 pm

first goal he was to slow off his line
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There’s a goal keeping analyst on twitter who has analysed one on one situations and the different techniques used.

So this guy is saying Stech should have not come rushing out for the first goal.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:17 pm

Having played a semi decent standard of level for keeper. Under 12s in Hampshire, I take a keen interest.

He was utterly wrong in what he did. He didnt even narrow the angle when he came out. Hed have never slotted where he did if stech had have only came out a couple of yards

PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm

part time pete wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There’s a goal keeping analyst on twitter who has analysed one on one situations and the different techniques used.

So this guy is saying Stech should have not come rushing out for the first goal.

If I was cloughie I'd be way more concerned at the ease in which Crawley strolled past the back line for the 1st and 2nd goals rather than thinking about 35% of stechs workload.
Seems to be an obsession with stags fans to berate any keeper with have.
Maybe I'm abit biased thou being an ex-keeper myself :D
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby YandBStag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:30 pm

He is a very good shot stopper, makes himself big in tight situations

But has such a tendency to rush from his line, making the strikers mind up for them. The first today and the Colchester goal is completely at his feet
YandBStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 pm

For all thoseblaming Stech, what about the three (I think) occasions when he came out of his area and got the ball clear?.

By your logic he should have stayed and we would probably have conceded another three.

These situations are not cut and dried and sometimes the decisions pay off while others you get beat. That’s just football.

I feel the defence were far more to blame for each of the goals than Stech was as he shouldn’t have been having to make the saves in the first place.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby YandBStag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:36 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For all thoseblaming Stech, what about the three (I think) occasions when he came out of his area and got the ball clear?.

By your logic he should have stayed and we would probably have conceded another three.

These situations are not cut and dried and sometimes the decisions pay off while others you get beat. That’s just football.

I feel the defence were far more to blame for each of the goals than Stech was as he shouldn’t have been having to make the saves in the first place.

It's about the reading of it and the timing. The first today and the Colchester goal a couple of weeks ago, he makes up the strikers mind, he is slightly late off of his line and because of that he has no chance of getting there.
The others you talk about, the balls through are slightly heavy, his timing is better and he clears them out, right decisions. The first goal, the ball is the perfect weight and hes a second late reacting and he has no chance. Wrong decision

You cant judge every decision the same, it's about reading and timing
YandBStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:39 pm

That's a really interesting thread Musings. It's rare to get any decent analysis of goalkeeping.

I coach keepers at grassroots level and have a keen interest in goalkeeping philosophies and techniques and what's in the thread makes a lot of sense.

The problem of course is that the game is dynamic so what starts as one situation quickly turns into a different one. I'll have to look back at the first goal but I still think he was right to engage the striker
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:45 pm

part time pete wrote:

Yes, given how far out he was. Make the striker do the work basically. Or wait for his next touch and then react.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:46 pm

For me the striker still had a lot to do, he made his mind up for him. 1st goal was a mistake.

The lob could of been classed as his mistake but I bet he didn’t think Rawson would be so far out of position for the long ball.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 pm

YandBStag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For all thoseblaming Stech, what about the three (I think) occasions when he came out of his area and got the ball clear?.

It's about the reading of it and the timing. The first today and the Colchester goal a couple of weeks ago, he makes up the strikers mind, he is slightly late off of his line and because of that he has no chance of getting there.
The others you talk about, the balls through are slightly heavy, his timing is better and he clears them out, right decisions. The first goal, the ball is the perfect weight and hes a second late reacting and he has no chance. Wrong decision

You cant judge every decision the same, it's about reading and timing

I think that’s basically my point, you either come or you don’t but once you start you have to continue. It’s no good changing your mind and trying to get back as there is only one result. I think only a robot could get it right every time as the keeper is usually about half a pitch away when the ball gets whacked forward. He was entitled to believe those balls would be cleared by the defence and shouldn’t have been put in those situations. First goal, was the only one you could be picky about for me as the other two should never have got a shot in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Makes some excellent saves and keeps us in games but my days..

His decision making on coming out for balls like that is poor. 4th time this season I think.

Stops deep they dont score

Conrad mkII.
Some days he's Stech, some days he's non-stech.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:47 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:He didnt need to narrow the angle, the bloke was that far out wide. was poor.
When he is dropped next week, ask yourself why

He was in the penalty area and would have been moving closer. He was right to narrow the angle

You might need to watch again and imagine him on the 6 yard line staying put.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Off top of my head, I can think of several attributes for a keeper: speed, agility, shot stopping, crosses, commanding the area, positioning, decision making, kicking/distribution.

At this level (unless you're really lucky), teams end up with keepers that are average all round, or excel in some aspects but terrible in others.

Based on that, I guess if we swapped Stech we'd end up with a keeper great at decision making, but susceptible to concede from other fundamental flaws

Stech made an error with the 1st goal - arguably we lost points today because of it, but we'd have potentially lost the Cambridge game with a different keeper. We'd have also buried Crawley but for missing so many chances

Swings & roundabouts
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 pm

---------------------

Nigel Clough told iFollow Stags:
"Right from the kick-off (in the second half), they pinned us back, got a goal ... I'm not sure whether Marek should have come for it again, similar to Colchester."
"Their third goal is an unbelievable finish. The second one I'm not sure he meant it at all."

Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham:
"I'm not sure he (Marek Stech) should have come for the first one. The second one was a fluke. The third one was a brilliant finish."
"At 1-1, he (Lapslie) missed an absolute sitter.
"I thought we should have had a penalty for handball in the first half. But we missed a fair few chances today.
"We've had 65 shots in the last three games. That's encouraging.
"We put some quality balls into the box today. If we give them (the strikers) the service, then they've got to finish."
"On a difficult surface today, some of our passing and moving was excellent."

-----------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Stech will be 'Petr Stech' for our next game with a couple of World class saves his Czech namesake would be proud of, then will have another rush of blood to the head in the game after. Rinse and repeat.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:58 pm

Whatever criticisms are laid at Stech, bar a couple of goals from corners, nearly all the other 'goal keeping errors' this season have actually been caused by very poor defending from the back four.

I believe that a better back four would mean that the GK wouldn't have to get caught out in no-mans land so often and he could stay closer to his line where he would be more effective. The defence certainly aren't helping Stech at the moment - particularly Rawson (who seems to be at fault for many goals) and Gordon.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Vice President wrote:Whatever criticisms are laid at Stech, bar a couple of goals from corners, nearly all the other 'goal keeping errors' this season have actually been caused by very poor defending from the back four.

I believe that a better back four would mean that the GK wouldn't have to get caught out in no-mans land so often and he could stay closer to his line where he would be more effective. The defence certainly aren't helping Stech at the moment - particularly Rawson (who seems to be at fault for many goals) and Gordon.

100% agree... Rawson is so easy to get behind.. Seems to have the pace & reactions of a sloth (or Ben Turner)... Gordon gets caught too far up the pitch on regular occasions (although this maybe because he's actually a winger) this in turn leaves our GK massively exposed and creates the 'no man's land' were debating here. Sort the defence out and the decision to come or go for it is eliminated altogether.

2 new center backs in January is a must in my opinion
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:22 pm

Has 3 good games for Hampshire and thinks he's qualified to comment on Petr Stech
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 am

More than so.

When harry Redknapp says, if you wernt so short, stumpy, slow, ugly and live over 45 mins away otherwise you'll make it, you know its time to give up
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:29 am

Marek Stech did not have to come charging out for the first goal. Kellan Gordon was closing Max Watters down. Marek Stech made it easy for him by charging out so far. If he had stopped near his line then it would have taken a great left shoot from the edge of the area to beat him which would have been difficult as he was running away from goal and the angle was getting tighter. I put it down as an error by Stech. I think Conrad Logan saves that as well.

For the third goal, if Marek Stech stays near his line then he would have a better chance to move his feet and tip any shot over the bar. I may be being a bit harsh there.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum