{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Creepy Scorefred sponsored by a hat trick for Spiro?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by a hat trick for Spiro?

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Very disappointed with that result after such a dominant performance.

For me the weak link is Gordon who just keeps giving the ball away or overrunning it into multiple players. There were several times in the first half that other teams would have punished his wastefulness but we got away with it. It’s no good being good going forward if you squander possession or can’t defend. His passing also is often short making things difficult for the receiving player.

Second goal for me was down to Sweeney who wanted ages to blast the ball clear. While he was waiting for the ball to come down the scorer nipped in and got lucky with a bit of a swing.

Very pleased with the fight to come back but should never have needed it in the first place.

I’m not sure Maynard would have done as well as Reid in his overall play and his finishing hasn’t been hot so far this season so I would keep Reid in ahead of Nicky. Andy Cook took his chance well but isn’t the long term answer and is better used as an impact sub.

For me we need a right back, at least one centre half and a proven striker of the fox in the box type.

Hopefully the boys will not take a knock to their confidence and will move onwards and upwards.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Is O'Keefe worth a try instead of Gordon?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:53 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Very disappointed with that result after such a dominant performance.

For me the weak link is Gordon who just keeps giving the ball away or overrunning it into multiple players. There were several times in the first half that other teams would have punished his wastefulness but we got away with it. It’s no good being good going forward if you squander possession or can’t defend. His passing also is often short making things difficult for the receiving player.

Second goal for me was down to Sweeney who wanted ages to blast the ball clear. While he was waiting for the ball to come down the scorer nipped in and got lucky with a bit of a swing.

Very pleased with the fight to come back but should never have needed it in the first place.

I’m not sure Maynard would have done as well as Reid in his overall play and his finishing hasn’t been hot so far this season so I would keep Reid in ahead of Nicky. Andy Cook took his chance well but isn’t the long term answer and is better used as an impact sub.

For me we need a right back, at least one centre half and a proven striker of the fox in the box type.

Hopefully the boys will not take a knock to their confidence and will move onwards and upwards.

Agree with all of that, particularly about Reid/Maynard. Reid has had two good games now and Maynard has been very poor all season.

O’Keeffe is a better right back than Gordon and should be playing.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:54 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Is O'Keefe worth a try instead of Gordon?

I would.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Cods level
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:58 pm

hadn't noticed Bradford slipped into the bottom 2
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Revolutionary idea. Put the right back at right back and the winger on the wing. It could catch on.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:18 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Revolutionary idea. Put the right back at right back and the winger on the wing. It could catch on.

Which one of the midfielders would you drop to play Gordon on the wing and do you think he has the composure and touch needed to be effective further forward?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 pm

Gordon has been really good going forward. He just gets caught out occasionally defensively, but usually has the pace to recover.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:43 pm

broomo wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Which one of the midfielders would you drop to play Gordon on the wing and do you think he has the composure and touch needed to be effective further forward?

Charsley. Not played too badly, like Gordon, but someone has to give way. Clarke and Maris are better defensively and can pick out a pass. Lapslie has scored just as many as Charsley but lapslie has been in better goalscoring form since Coughlan left.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:45 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Gordon has been really good going forward. He just gets caught out occasionally defensively, but usually has the pace to recover.

Agree... Its blatantly obvious that Gordon would be more effective as an out & out winger (can't defend) but I think cloughie has too many good options in midfield to make it fit atm.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Sedgwick wrote:hadn't noticed Bradford slipped into the bottom 2

Crazy really... Doesn't seem like 5 mins ago since they were battling with the Premier league big boys :shock:
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Overall it was a very good performance with the exception of those ten minutes.
All the team seemed very positive and energetic with a lot of second balls won.

I was particularly impressed with Jordan Bowery today. In previous games he has held the ball well but not seemed to know what to do with it ( neither passing back to Benning or getting the ball into the box). Today he moved the ball a lot quicker and went round the full back several times, making chances for the attackers ( most notably for Lapslie).

I think the positivity is due to Clough who likes teams to pass and move forwards. There has obviously been some good work done on the training ground even with the limited time he has had due to midweek games.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 pm

As the dust settles I'm ok with a draw.

Furious we even got into the position of chasing the game having had all those excellent chances. Maris, Reid and Lapslie all missing absolute sitters.

However, saying that, we did well to drag ourselves to get a point. Shows a bit of spirit and fight that we've lacked a lot pre-clough.

If we were offered 4 points from Cambridge and Crawley, we'd have accepted it, especially having played 3 games in 7 days including extra time.

Good to be on the right end of a late goal in the league for a change.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:As the dust settles I'm ok with a draw.

Furious we even got into the position of chasing the game having had all those excellent chances. Maris, Reid and Lapslie all missing absolute sitters.

However, saying that, we did well to drag ourselves to get a point. Shows a bit of spirit and fight that we've lacked a lot pre-clough.

If we were offered 4 points from Cambridge and Crawley, we'd have accepted it, especially having played 3 games in 7 days including extra time.

Good to be on the right end of a late goal in the league for a change.

that’s fair, it’s a shame how it came about as was hoping we’d be able to win a home league game at last, but 4 points from the 2 games this week is more than acceptable.

it’s nice that the side came back from 3-1 also we’d have been dead and buried a few weeks ago.

still, a mad 15 minutes after halftime and needs cutting out
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 pm

I think they did very well today a few mistakes at the back but on the whole you can see massive improvements all over the park shows what a top manager can do

:head ball:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:39 pm

robbingdog wrote:That is what a striker does!!

It looks like a bad decision by Darren Moore to not play Max Watters at Donny Rovers and then release him. He only made 5 sub appearances in the league for Donny over two seasons. Two quality finishes today and 12 goals this season. That’s quite impressive in his first real season starting in the league. Darragh MacAnthony at Peterborough will be sniffing round.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
robbingdog wrote:That is what a striker does!!

It looks like a bad decision by Darren Moore to not play Max Watters at Donny Rovers and then release him. He only made 5 sub appearances in the league for Donny over two seasons. Two quality finishes today and 12 goals this season. That’s quite impressive in his first real season starting in the league. Darragh MacAnthony at Peterborough will be sniffing round.

Could be like O'Neil Donaldson. On fire for 3 months, mostly crap for the rest of his career.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Why did Stech come flying out? Made it so so easy for their striker.

I agree. Marek Stech did not have to come charging out. Kellan Gordon was closing Max Watters down. Stech made it easy for him by charging out so far. If he had stopped near his line then it would have taken a great left shoot from the edge of the area to beat him and the angle would have got tighter if Watters had carried on running. I put it down as an error by Stech. I think Conrad Logan saves that as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Why did Stech come flying out? Made it so so easy for their striker.

I agree. Marek Stech did not have to come charging out. Kellan Gordon was closing Max Watters down. Stech made it easy for him by charging out so far. If he had stopped near his line then it would have taken a great left shoot from the edge of the area to beat him and the angle would have got tighter if Watters had carried on running. I put it down as an error by Stech. I think Conrad Logan saves that as well.

Conrad, would have started to come, changed his mind, stopped, started again, then cleaned out the striker in the box for a penalty.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 pm

When was the last time we scored 3 goals in a game? It's not this season I'm sure.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:52 pm

chip63 wrote:When was the last time we scored 3 goals in a game? It's not this season I'm sure.

Was it against Oldham?
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:WHAT IS HAPPENING

Stech sounds raspberry just going off the commentary

Then don’t listen to commentary. First goal possibly could have done better, second goal looped over him, third goal both central defenders just watched a striker run in between them .

It wasn’t Sweeney, it was Rawson and Gordon. Gordon culpable in the first and third goals.

Kellan Gordon and Marek Stech were to blame for the first goal. Terrible clearance by Kellan and then he let Max Watters run in behind him. He also let Luke Norris run in behind him for Col U's equaliser.

I think Ryan Sweeney and Farrend Rawson both got in each other's way when trying to head the ball away for the second goal and Dallison just swings a leg at it. I'm not sure he meant it.

Jake Hessenthaler's long ball down the pitch from right back went over Farrend Rawson's head for the third goal and Kellan Gordon was covering behind. Max Watters just ran between them. Again, if Marek Stech stays near his line then he would have a better chance to move his feet and tip any shot over the bar. I may be being a bit harsh there.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Scratch that. Cambridge away last season.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:58 pm

We beat Bradford City 3-0 on 25th January
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum