{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Creepy Scorefred sponsored by a hat trick for Spiro?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by a hat trick for Spiro?

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:37 pm

PaulG wrote:I don't understand the relentless criticism of Bowery by some on here who can't get past his lack of goals. Since the change of management, he's been consistently excellent, holding the ball up and bringing others into play. It's no coincidence that the likes of Lapslie, Maris and Clarke have had (and largely missed) chance after chance since he's found his position and his form. I think it would help to stop thinking of him primarily as a striker; Nigel Clough seems happy working with a single striker, but is clearly looking for the others to contribute more goals from midfield; a very sound tactic in theory, as it's so much more difficult to defend against.

My opinion of Bowery has changed since,GC left.
Bowery is always available and creates danger for the opposition, ok he will not score 10 goals a season in his current role but he is worth his place in the side.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:46 pm

oldweststander wrote:
PaulG wrote:I don't understand the relentless criticism of Bowery by some on here who can't get past his lack of goals. Since the change of management, he's been consistently excellent, holding the ball up and bringing others into play. It's no coincidence that the likes of Lapslie, Maris and Clarke have had (and largely missed) chance after chance since he's found his position and his form. I think it would help to stop thinking of him primarily as a striker; Nigel Clough seems happy working with a single striker, but is clearly looking for the others to contribute more goals from midfield; a very sound tactic in theory, as it's so much more difficult to defend against.

Bowery is always available and creates danger for the opposition, ok he will not score 10 goals a season in his current role but he is worth his place in the side.

Bowery is our version of Emile Heskey, runs around, works hard & provides chances for his team mates however will score very few!

the question though is can we afford a front player like that ?

for me as others have stated deferent player since GC has gone, however he isn’t scoring
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wh_Stag » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:52 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Bowery is our version of Emile Heskey, runs around, works hard & provides chances for his team mates however will score very few!

for me as others have stated deferent player since GC has gone, however he isn’t scoring

I agree with the Heskey comparison, Bowrey was a good player for crewe when they beat us at the mill and scored a few for them.

I think he will score a few if he keeps playing. Hes a powerful handful of a player for this league and he works incredibly hard.

If I were Nigel Id be encouraging him to have a go when he breaks into the box, looks like he's always trying to tee someone else up rather than being selfish and shoot himself. Probably lack of confidence.
Wh_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:48 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Wh_Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

I agree with the Heskey comparison, Bowrey was a good player for crewe when they beat us at the mill and scored a few for them.

I think he will score a few if he keeps playing. Hes a powerful handful of a player for this league and he works incredibly hard.

If I were Nigel Id be encouraging him to have a go when he breaks into the box, looks like he's always trying to tee someone else up rather than being selfish and shoot himself. Probably lack of confidence.

He did force the keeper into a save when he shot with his left foot in the first half.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Just heard on MOTD Benteke scored 3 goals in 52 games !!!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:44 am

The One wrote:Just heard on MOTD Benteke scored 3 goals in 52 games !!!

It’s now 5 in 53 games :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby nobby+2 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:24 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:
nobby+2 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Dan wrote:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=dan.westwell&set=a.10158998143464104

My pics from today.

Good to see the rainbow flag campaign back

Then persons IN STANDS WITH NO MASKS

In an empty stand, in the open air... the horror

no look standing at side of each other having chin wag
nobby+2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Tater gets to go again :)

Shame we could not build on our 1-0 lead but to come back from 1-3 shows the lads are now digging deep and scrapping for every point ,which is what we need .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:01 am

Tweeted by D3D4
"Ollie Clarke completed seven successful dribbles in League Two this weekend for Mansfield Town, more than any other player in the division"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:22 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

I really like cook and want him to do well for us... Just something wrong about his attitude I can't quite put my finger on, seems cloughie is of the same opinion hence he's mainly getting sub appearances.
In this league you need a striker who likes a pop from anywhere!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:40 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Tweeted by D3D4
"Ollie Clarke completed seven successful dribbles in League Two this weekend for Mansfield Town, more than any other player in the division"

Whoscored says 4, the same amount as Bowery.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

So the stattos can't even come up with the same stats, another reliable new age phenomenon :lol: :lol:

Maybe they come up with the stats on the stat sites that get stats right. :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:29 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

So the stattos can't even come up with the same stats, another reliable new age phenomenon :lol: :lol:

Maybe they come up with the stats on the stat sites that get stats right. :roll:

Not necessarily, each site have different definitions of what constitutes a dribble, or whatever the metric may be.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Not necessarily, each site have different definitions of what constitutes a dribble, or whatever the metric may be.

My wife says a dribble is when I miss my mouth and spill baked bean juice down my jumper. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am

The problem with playing Bowery (or my frustration of) isn't really him - just the system with him in a 2 doesn't really provide many goals.

Obviously not his fault if he creates them and others fail to convert etc, but maybe if there was more options for his hold up play it would provide greater dividends.

Sadly not something that could be done currently with the midfield as it is - but Bowery with Reid and Maynard either side could well be a productive avenue to maybe investigate going forward.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Ste_collins1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:27 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I really like cook and want him to do well for us... Just something wrong about his attitude I can't quite put my finger on, seems cloughie is of the same opinion hence he's mainly getting sub appearances.
In this league you need a striker who likes a pop from anywhere!

Would you not be the same if you got messed around like he has been here? I actually feel sorry for him seems like he has gone to been 4th choice striker when in fact he should be 1st or 2nd.
Ste_collins1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:41 am

It happens sometimes with players, proven goalscorers elsewhere, go to a team and have no luck, then back to being proven goalscorers again elsewhere.

Cook averages a league goal every 179mins for us. Maynard a goal every 200. Both been here the same amount of time but Maynard has played almost double the minutes.

Cook did of course have the loan spell at Tranmere in between.

In comparison with the most prolific goalscorer we’ve had here in recent years, Tyler Walker managed a goal every 171 minutes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:00 pm

We must remember that Clough has only a short time to access players, and attitudes are crucial to team bonding, we are all aware that players on the bench are our best players
they dont make mistakes and annoy us. We as fans dont know the role they are asked to play, if we win they have done well, if we lose we as fans decide who to blame, and we should have played the ones on the bench. Clough will look at attitudes and any player not giving 100% commitment will be allowed to leave when appropriate, we has fans do not see this side of the game, some fans look at cook and say his attitude does not seem right, this makes others take note, i looked at his goal against Crawley, he ran to the corner flag and celebrated.
But when Bowery came up to him to celebrate ,he seemed to ignore him, Now i dont know who is committed to the stags and whose futures lie else where, but Clough does.
The good news is, i dont know one player who Clough did not want, who moved on to become a top player any where else..What a scoop if we knew what happened behind closed doors
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum