{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags Advent Calendar

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stags Advent Calendar

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:51 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Stags Advent Calendar

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:09 pm

Just look at the quality in that side to what we have now. It makes you realise just how far backwards we have travelled.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Why the negativity....I remember the quality in the side against Lincoln but they still failed to get promoted....
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Great goal felt like a win at the end !
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:22 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Just look at the quality in that side to what we have now. It makes you realise just how far backwards we have travelled.

To be fair we had most of that squad last season and they were crap, but that's probably more down to other things happening which I won't mention because we know where it'll go :lol:

Fell down rows of stairs when this went in and I couldn't have been happier about it. I know we didn't win , but that was a bloody good game . Can't wait to have that feeling again, can't wait to get back to matches!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Just look at the quality in that side to what we have now. It makes you realise just how far backwards we have travelled.

To be fair we had most of that squad last season and they were crap, but that's probably more down to other things happening which I won't mention because we know where it'll go :lol:

Fell down rows of stairs when this went in and I couldn't have been happier about it. I know we didn't win , but that was a bloody good game . Can't wait to have that feeling again, can't wait to get back to matches!

We were a team that season, last season we were a squad of individuals. I know what you mean about that feeling. I may forgive 2020 for being one of the worst years on record if, the first week back, we get that loving feeling back.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 pm

:think: The question is who is it going to be Christmas day , save the best till last ;)

My top 3

1 Sir Mel Benning goal against the sheep ,the season which sent them into the pit of misery :D

2 Matt Green penalty which gave us our status back into league 2.

3 Sir Calvin Andrew goal against the sheep, to run back the length of pitch to the Stags fans to fall in to our arms :oops:

Save The Best Till Last :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::think: The question is who is it going to be Christmas day , save the best till last ;)

My top 3

1 Sir Mel Benning goal against the sheep ,the season which sent them into the pit of misery :D

2 Matt Green penalty which gave us our status back into league 2.

3 Sir Calvin Andrew goal against the sheep, to run back the length of pitch to the Stags fans to fall in to our arms :oops:

Save The Best Till Last :D

Matt Green against Hereford was very special. I'll never forget that night
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:54 pm

Has to be Green at Hereford for 25th. No better feeling in the World, because it REALLY meant so, so, so much.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:Has to be Green at Hereford for 25th. No better feeling in the World, because it REALLY meant so, so, so much.

Agreed. No contest imo. Anyone there that night will never forget it or the feeling leaving the stadium. Pure drama and scenes. One day like that a year would see me right.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Julian » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:38 am

Hereford for me.
Julian
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:12 am

For me it should be a double header of goals by Corden and White against Carlisle on the 20th of April 2002 which secured our last promotion in the Football League. Of course that is dependent on them being available.

The best one would have been the three goals against West Ham but they just live in my memory.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:51 am

Spiritater wrote:Has to be Green at Hereford for 25th. No better feeling in the World, because it REALLY meant so, so, so much.

I do like that goal and did go absolutely crazy but the last day at home to wrexham beats it for me, greenie putting away his pen where he put all of them down the left hand side and then nervously sat waiting to have promotion confirmed..... without that, Hereford would have meant nothing.

also always find it odd that every year Hereford gets dug out and remembered but actually lifting the trophy always gets forgotten about.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:14 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For me it should be a double header of goals by Corden and White against Carlisle on the 20th of April 2002 which secured our last promotion in the Football League. Of course that is dependent on them being available.

The best one would have been the three goals against West Ham but they just live in my memory.

Corden's goal v Carlisle is on of the best goals I've ever seen as Field Mill. It's so rare to see a training ground drill work perfectly in a game.

Mal Benning's screamer v Newport was a brilliant team goal.

Syrett's 3rd v Spurs for a vintage contender to be in the 25.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 am

Sedgwick wrote:

I do like that goal and did go absolutely crazy but the last day at home to wrexham beats it for me, greenie putting away his pen where he put all of them down the left hand side and then nervously sat waiting to have promotion confirmed..... without that, Hereford would have meant nothing.

also always find it odd that every year Hereford gets dug out and remembered but actually lifting the trophy always gets forgotten about.

Conversely without the utter drama at Edgar St Wrexham would've been a wake. It put our fate back in our own hands that night and to do it in stoppage time added to a feeling of such orgasmic jubilation I've never had from t'Stags in decades. Wrexham was really a formality (with the fact they rested so many players for the playoffs) even though we made hard work of it. T'is the pure drama of Hereford that makes it so special, the fact we were behind and won it so late COS WE HAD SIMPLY HAD TO that means there's no comparison.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:47 am

Sedgwick wrote:

For me that's because I always saw the Hereford goal as the one that clinched promotion, even though in reality it didn't. Without that we wouldn't have gone up and it came on the back of a shambolic performance the previous Saturday. Add in the nature of the goal, in the dying seconds after we'd dominated and it looked like it wouldn't be our day and it's Hereford all the way. The Wrexham game always felt like an after the Lord Mayors show event.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:12 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 pm

A certain Kevin Hitchcock saving a penalty at Wembley perhaps? Or a Mr Kent scoring for us at Wembley?

Those two have to be up there also.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:A certain Kevin Hitchcock saving a penalty at Wembley perhaps? Or a Mr Kent scoring for us at Wembley?

Foster scoring against Wigan in the FRT also.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Not necessarily a great goal but thought it may provide a bit of a boost to a player who is missing football and given the personal issues here recently opened up about.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:A certain Kevin Hitchcock saving a penalty at Wembley perhaps? Or a Mr Kent scoring for us at Wembley?

Absolutely the best day of my Stags supporting life by a mile. As Sandy has mentioned the Carlisle game is right up there too, a packed house watching probably the best side we've had since the mid 70's. Sadly I was living in Holland for the Hereford game but of course I listened to it live, I came back for the Wrexham game but that, as Sharp says, was a bit flat. As much as I am not a fan of Curle, our win at Cambridge with 9 men is right up.there too. Memories of the 7-0 v Scunny in 75, even though I was young, will live with me forever.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 pm

It's the 5th tomorrow. Can we have all 5 goals from the 5-0 drubbing we gave them? :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:09 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:48 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager