{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Rhead

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Matt Rhead

Postby part time pete » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Just scored for Boreham Wood in FACup live on BT Sports.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Matt Rhead

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 pm

*awaits annual ‘I’d still take him now as a plan b’ comment*
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:33 pm

I’d still take him now as a plan b
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:*awaits annual ‘I’d still take him now as a plan b’ comment*

Or, he's better than Bowery.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm

He was voted Man of Match tonight.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I’ve absolutely no idea who you are and I’d bet a fiver you’re better than Bowery
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:58 am

adamstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I’ve absolutely no idea who you are and I’d bet a fiver you’re better than Bowery

That would be the player that assisted both goals on Sunday ? :roll:
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:18 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
adamstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Martins footage through lockdown showed Fraser McLachlan get an assist, your point is???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:18 am

The big man is past his best now. But at his best I'd have had no problem with him being a Stag. Makes goals AND SCORES GOALS, whereas Bowery makes a few but couldn't score in brothel
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
adamstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Martins footage through lockdown showed Fraser McLachlan get an assist, your point is???

Think his point is Bowery had a hand in both goals getting us to the 3rd round and he's not as bad as some make out
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:09 am

Or, he's better than Bowery.[/quote]

I’ve absolutely no idea who you are and I’d bet a fiver you’re better than Bowery[/quote]
That would be the player that assisted both goals on Sunday ? :roll:[/quote]

Martins footage through lockdown showed Fraser McLachlan get an assist, your point is???[/quote]

Think his point is Bowery had a hand in both goals getting us to the 3rd round and he's not as bad as some make out[/quote]

Agree, he is not putting the ball in the net, but his contribution on the pitch in all other areas bar goal keeper is going unnoticed.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 am

It's not unnoticed, just his attempts on goal either go nowhere near the net or he doesn't make the keeper work when it is. I know you're going to say his shot on goal that the keeper saved and the defender got a foot to it which set up Maynard but can we afford a striker who has one meaningful shot on goal in 120 minutes of a match?

The simple fact of the matter is, he's essentially Ross Dyer minus the goals and he was hardly prolific. If he scored 1 in 4 or 5 then I'd be perfectly happy but he's scored 1 penalty in 14 (I must stress I'm not saying penalties don't count but if someone else took it and scored he'd be on 0 in 14, literally any other player could have took the penalty.) his league record is 1 in 11, which is a touch over 4 goals for the season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am

Spiritater wrote:The big man is past his best now. But at his best I'd have had no problem with him being a Stag. Makes goals AND SCORES GOALS, whereas Bowery makes a few but couldn't score in brothel

I thought the big man looked like he'd got a bit bigger. Wish him luck against Millwall
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:34 am

Rhead was at his best when he played for Lincoln. Cowley was clever and used his strengths, that he could actually have the ball to his feet!, while they transitioned to a different style of play.

Always thought we, and Murray did especially thought he was just there to win headers but he offered a lot more.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:49 am

Its just seems to me that some of our supporters aren't happy unless they have a whipping boy, and this year it is Bowery.
If fans want to call a player out after a bad performance then so be it, but this thread was about an ex-player of ours having scored a goal in an FA Cup game and people have used it to have a dig at one of our current players.
Bowery has never been, and will never be, a prolific goalscorer, and there is no doubt he didn't start this season well, but since Coughlan left he has had 4 good performances (Bolton, Sunderland, FGR, and Dagenham) and 2 poor games (Colchester and Harrogate). His work rate and hold up play has been very good, and in those 6 games he has assisted 3 of the 7 goals we have scored, including both goals that have taken us through to the 3rd round of the cup.
The attacks on him in this thread just aren't necessary.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Bowery gets mentioned a lot for what mistakes he makes , but the good things he does far out way the bad and not getting shots on target at least 7 others are has bad.
Any player who wears the shirt deserves our support, But i notice players out of the team should be playing and are stars, until they get in the team then they to become mortal and make mistakes. and soon we cant wait for the transfer market to open, new defenders=new strikers a team is not bought but built, so far we have lost 1 in 6 , i would take that any day
And Bowery with the rest of the squad are giving everything for the shirt, and are giving us the basis to build on, Bowery is doing his job holding the ball up and bringing others into play.
The whole team need confidence and much improved efforts on goal. our problem 3 wins have been cup games 9 more points would have been nice [ live in hope ]
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:19 pm

I think with Bowery, because he's lacking goals and confidence, he sits naturally deeper to get the ball and play it on. The issue is that others aren't really setting the world alight either, so the lack of goals means it's easy to single out a player.

Goals per 90 minutes played

Bowery - 0.10
Cook - 0.22
Maynard - 0.33

But Bowery has more assists (the other two haven't).

Goal Conversion %

Bowery - 6%
Cook - 7%
Maynard - 13%

Shot accuracy

Bowery - 56%
Cook - 33%
Maynard - 39%

Shots in total

Bowery - 16
Cook - 27
Maynard 23

So whilst Bowery has missed some absolute sitters, he hasn't had as many shots on goal as the others but has more assists.

Cook has played the same number of games, had more shots on target but his shots to goals ratio is the same as Bowery.

But Bowery does much more work.

If we were scoring goals, this wouldn't be an issue and nobody would single him out.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby RudyDude » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Well done to Rheady and thank you to him for all his efforts for us which, to me, made him an absolute legend.

He entertained and gave the proverbial 110%, which was appreciated.

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby Amberheart » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm

RudyDude wrote:Well done to Rheady and thank you to him for all his efforts for us which, to me, made him an absolute legend.

:mtfc:

I echo that sentiment
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Rheady with an assist tonight from a set piece for the winning goal against County.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:48 pm

Well done to Rheady and thank you to him for all his efforts for us which, to me, made him an absolute legend.

I will never forget that flick on to Matt Green in stoppage time at Hereford.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum