{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FA Cup Rd 3 - Cheltenham away

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Who do we want?

Postby The One » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:We won’t get any further with this team so a big money game for the coffers makes sense .

What a ray of sunshine you are

Do we even get big money from drawing a prem team? Obviously there's TV money but no gate receipts for the club

I like your Eternal optimism but I’m afraid and our league position backs my opinion up that this side isn’t good enough and hopefully torn apart by NG come January.

NG ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 pm

The One wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:We won’t get any further with this team so a big money game for the coffers makes sense .

Do we even get big money from drawing a prem team? Obviously there's TV money but no gate receipts for the club

I like your Eternal optimism but I’m afraid and our league position backs my opinion up that this side isn’t good enough and hopefully torn apart by NG come January.

NG ?

Nigel Glough.... OBVIOUSLY :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Ball number 56, cant wait
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Marine at home. Marine will deservedly get live TV exposure which brings cash to both clubs. We should then get into round 4 and hopefully pull a plumb tie at home which also will get live coverage.
Ps I seem to remember Marine being one of the country's top non league sides in the late 70's alongside Altrincham before the pyramid system was developed.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
The One wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

NG ?

Nigel Glough.... OBVIOUSLY :lol:

Nigel (Clough) and Gary (Crosby), clearly.

On topic. We've just tried minnows at home and scraped through. Higher placed team away and we got through more convincingly. We shall see what the draw gives us.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:10 pm

I get why fans want a big draw in round 3 but for me personally, I’d always take the lowest ranked team at home with (potentially but never guaranteed) a better chance of progressing.
I want a proper cup run with a 5th round/quarter final appearance in my lifetime.
Not been privileged to see that in my 34 years supporting, we can always dream I guess!
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Oak Tree Stag wrote:I get why fans want a big draw in round 3 but for me personally, I’d always take the lowest ranked team at home with (potentially but never guaranteed) a better chance of progressing.
I want a proper cup run with a 5th round/quarter final appearance in my lifetime.
Not been privileged to see that in my 34 years supporting, we can always dream I guess!

Can we save the cup run for when we can actually get to games? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Only five games away from the final, could not image saying that under Graham.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 pm

I'd love to think we could have a few fans back by Jan but I doubt there's enough crack on this planet to smoke that would make me feel this might be the case. Original lockdown lasted like, 4x longer than this one and we just about go to the pub, rapidly followed by the rule of six and going to the toilet while we're wearing a mask. And then another lockdown. Why would anyone think suddenly in the next 6 weeks we can magically be back?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:42 pm

A Big team up next please like Manchester United or Chelsea
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:45 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:I'd love to think we could have a few fans back by Jan but I doubt there's enough crack on this planet to smoke that would make me feel this might be the case. Original lockdown lasted like, 4x longer than this one and we just about go to the pub, rapidly followed by the rule of six and going to the toilet while we're wearing a mask. And then another lockdown. Why would anyone think suddenly in the next 6 weeks we can magically be back?

A reduction in cases and three effective vaccines...? (Maybe not for 9 Jan though)
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby G B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:10 pm

There will be 2 tier reviews before the 3rd round. If cases drop sufficiently in that time then we go down a tier which in theory means 2000 home fans can attend. If things don’t change from Tier 3 in the next 6 weeks then there will be no hospitality businesses left in Notts.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Let's draw another non-league team or league 2 team in the next round for a chance to win another £82,500 and possibly more TV money. Marine at home would be a big money spinner.

How many Man U, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal fans etc would pay £10 to watch us play them in the FA Cup?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 am

If Carlsberg did cup runs it would be r3 Marine, r4 Chorley, r5 Stockport, qf Forest or Derby, sf Everton, final ManU with Martin doing the commentary assisted by Dean and Kevin Pilkington. Due to covid restrictions we would get 10000 tickets and ManU would get 500 being the total number of fans with a Manchester postcode
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:05 am

If we drew a big club like Manure, Spurs, Arsenal, Loooooun etc you'd think they donate thier prizemoney to the struggling Lge 2 club (assuming they won) as it's just a days wages to Salah, Debruyne etc
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:01 am

G B wrote:There will be 2 tier reviews before the 3rd round. If cases drop sufficiently in that time then we go down a tier which in theory means 2000 home fans can attend. If things don’t change from Tier 3 in the next 6 weeks then there will be no hospitality businesses left in Notts.

Thing is, it's not fell enough.

In areas like the NW and NE it's fell by a decent amount - sadly not in the east midlands
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 am

Exeter away nailed on. In my tea leaves this morning.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:22 am

any non league team home or away.

No point in playing the big teams untill fans are back.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:31 am

1) non league side
2) winnable game at home
3) Big side at home
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:18 am

victor A block wrote:Exeter away nailed on. In my tea leaves this morning.

Shame it can’t be Chinese Steve
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:40 am

Bros wrote:If Carlsberg did cup runs it would be r3 Marine, r4 Chorley, r5 Stockport, qf Forest or Derby, sf Everton, final ManU with Martin doing the commentary assisted by Dean and Kevin Pilkington. Due to covid restrictions we would get 10000 tickets and ManU would get 500 being the total number of fans with a Manchester postcode
Like it but with one amendment.
Semi Final v Middlesbrough with Sir David Elleray brought out of retirement to referee this game.
It is 3-3 with seconds to go, Bowery hits a shot against the cross bar and it bounces back onto the line a la Geoff Hurst 1966. There is no VAR and Elleray gives the goal despite it being proven it did not cross the line and we win 4-3. Happy days.
We then win the final v Man U 7-6 aet.
Cook 2, Bowery, Charsley, Clarke, Lapslie, Maynard : Fernandes (6 penalties, 4 retaken, 2 twice retaken)
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:13 pm

A home draw against non=league or a plum tie premier league, or i could win the lottery
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Forest would be great.. Prob attract the TV cameras too with the Clough connection.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Personally I’d want the smallest team at home, a chance to go through and hopefully tv will come and the club get some cash from there as well.

Otherwise i’d like a big club but have it on pay per view like Sunderland and we’d get a fair amount of cash.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldyellow » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Well Newport seem to get to the third round and get a big club every year(Spurs/Man City/Leicester/Newcastle) so you watch this season because no crowds can go they'll get one of the non league teams whilst we'll get one of the top 6 teams at home and not be able to go !!! having said that I'd be happy with either Forest/Derby or Sheffield Utd at Home.
oldyellow
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum