{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Daggers scorefred sponsored by Stone's our No1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Daggers scorefred sponsored by Stone's our No1

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Hope Radford has his cheque book ready we are nowhere near a average league 2 side . It’s so predictable how we play and we will struggle without strengthening . Getting to round 3 may help with the budget come January
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:56 pm

We were much the better side today. But give D&R credit they defended extremely well.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Hon Sec wrote:We were much the better side today. But give D&R credit they defended extremely well.

Yep, they gave everything didn't they... but in the end Job done.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:That overhead kick from Jamie Reid could be a promising sign that there are a lot better things to come from him.

Would have been goal of season if it had come off
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:01 pm

It was obvious from the beginning of the season we lack pace up front and Nigel needs to rectify that firstly

As already mentioned we can only attack from wide and if sides stop the cross we end up just moving the ball sideways until the attack fizzles out.

I don’t remember us having such a one dimensional and poor forward line for a long time
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm

On reflection I actually enjoyed that game. It’s crap on tv, just wished we were there, the mill would have gone mental at the end. Yes they’re non league but we controlled the game and bar some poor finishing and unlucky bounces we’d have won by a few goals. I don’t get the dislike of Reid. IMO he changed the game. He was more positive and direct than the others and nearly scored a worldy!!! They did look dead on their feet in ET though which helps.
I’d like to beat Derby, Forest of Man City next please. We can beat at least two of those on current form.....but I’m not sure about Derby :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Cook very poor, nothing sticks and he had several good chances, said it before, Lapslie needs to be further forward driving at people. Rawson did well but feel safer with Perch at his side. Says a lot when you bring No.2 keeper on for penalties
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm

What swung the game our way for me was going 451, we could control the midfield then and had players in their more natural positions.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
w12stag wrote:m.o.m Stone. Never put a foot wrong

Best pass of the match :lol:

They switched off thinking it was time for penalties when stone came on... Gaffer is an absolute genius

:lol:
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:12 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Cook very poor, nothing sticks and he had several good chances, said it before, Lapslie needs to be further forward driving at people. Rawson did well but feel safer with Perch at his side. Says a lot when you bring No.2 keeper on for penalties

I think Stone has got to be knocking on the door, his distribution looked good in the Scunny game and the one clearance today finds it's target.

Too many times Marek's clearances and kicking in general end up nowhere near enough to one of our players for them to even challenge.

I may be wrong and I may be harsh as I don't really know the squad as people, I'd usually defend them to the hilt but it's early enough for me to unbiased and I just think long term Stone will be number one.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Old amber wrote:Despite our poor finishing... we were the better side overall ... but we made hard work of it ....
Was it a master stroke from Nigel in bringing Maynard on so late.... whatever it worked. But it’s a work in progress.

I think he was brought on specifically for the penalties, as was Stone.
I can't understand the drooling over Reid.

There’s no drooling. Just rebuttal of the usual mouthbreathers looking for another boo boy

He was playing against a team a league below and still failed to score. His overall play looks bellow par. I can't see him doing it at league two level. He looks no better than the guy we signed from Solihull Moors (his name escapes me ), that we let go back to the National League. I hope I'm wrong.

I think you're desperate to be right? All you've done is moan about him in this thread when he had a very good game. Just give him a chance, he certainly offered us something different when he came on, which showed in the chances he made, he seemed to be good at finding spaces, yes they're a conference side, but you can only beat what is in front of you. Good to build his confidence up against a weaker side maybe?
Does Stone stay in nets mid week as he kept a clean sheet ;)
Anyone know who was under the cameraman, as there seemed to be a lot of instructions coming from this side of the pitch?
And can we only afford 4 footballs? Get three behind each goal and down the side of the pitch! When the commentator said that was cruel on the non league side, no it wasn't they came for penalties once we equalised, when they could have given us a real scare by going at us! Time wasting and kicking the ball away was awful!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 pm

broomo wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Cook very poor, nothing sticks and he had several good chances, said it before, Lapslie needs to be further forward driving at people. Rawson did well but feel safer with Perch at his side. Says a lot when you bring No.2 keeper on for penalties

I think Stone has got to be knocking on the door, his distribution looked good in the Scunny game and the one clearance today finds it's target.

Too many times Marek's clearances and kicking in general end up nowhere near enough to one of our players for them to even challenge.

I may be wrong and I may be harsh as I don't really know the squad as people, I'd usually defend them to the hilt but it's early enough for me to unbiased and I just think long term Stone will be number one.

Stretch did ok today. Stones never let us down when needed.
Clough choice and he knows and sees more than we do.
Think the hardest choice is the strikers at the moment.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:24 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
old ram stag wrote:
StaginMorley wrote:Give Reid a chance. Missed a couple but at least finding the space

He had more shots in 40 mins than bowery has had in 14 games .

And Bowery was involved with both goals today. We just need someone along side him who can convert regularly

On balance he was also involved in some good defending for the daggers as well. Managed to clear a knockdown from Cook. He cushioned a cross straight to the keeper. He finally had a meaningful shot on goal after 120 minutes, again straight at the keeper, but the ball falls kindly to Maynard who puts it away.

I rate Bowery, but for me he's 4th choice. If he chipped in with goals I'd be fine. He's got a league goal rate of 1 in 11. He's had probably the most minutes on the pitch out of the strikers this season. People wanting Cook to receive abuse because he didn't score but fail to realise he'd played 110 minutes this entire month before today's game. Cooks played 180 minutes out of 630 minutes available this month. Jordan Bowery has played 540 (he got the trophy off) and scored nothing. That's people's issue with him he has played 800+ minutes since he last scored a goal, and while they certainly do count it was a penalty which could have been scored by anyone. Also the BBC lists him as having 1 assist all season (they don't include the trophy in those stats)

Is that really good enough? Don't get me wrong I like the guy, he's got a good touch and takes on his man but his hold up play is marmite and his finishing is fecal matter flavoured marmite. I see what he brings to the team he does it well but is it enough? It's entirely possible he's just knackered after playing so much but he's not really looked a goal threat.

That header Bowery cushioned to the keeper, had it been Sir Richard Barker in the middle I'd be on the edge of my seat expecting the net to bulge but with our current forward line you just don't get that excitement. Having said that though that could be more down the the year everyone is having in general and not necessarily due to our forward line.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:31 pm

1970Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Old amber wrote:Despite our poor finishing... we were the better side overall ... but we made hard work of it ....
Was it a master stroke from Nigel in bringing Maynard on so late.... whatever it worked. But it’s a work in progress.

I think he was brought on specifically for the penalties, as was Stone.
I can't understand the drooling over Reid.

There’s no drooling. Just rebuttal of the usual mouthbreathers looking for another boo boy

He was playing against a team a league below and still failed to score. His overall play looks bellow par. I can't see him doing it at league two level. He looks no better than the guy we signed from Solihull Moors (his name escapes me ), that we let go back to the National League. I hope I'm wrong.

I think you're desperate to be right? All you've done is moan about him in this thread when he had a very good game. Just give him a chance, he certainly offered us something different when he came on, which showed in the chances he made, he seemed to be good at finding spaces, yes they're a conference side, but you can only beat what is in front of you. Good to build his confidence up against a weaker side maybe?
Does Stone stay in nets mid week as he kept a clean sheet ;)
Anyone know who was under the cameraman, as there seemed to be a lot of instructions coming from this side of the pitch?
And can we only afford 4 footballs? Get three behind each goal and down the side of the pitch! When the commentator said that was cruel on the non league side, no it wasn't they came for penalties once we equalised, when they could have given us a real scare by going at us! Time wasting and kicking the ball away was awful!

I've not moaned about him. I've simply said I I don't understand the praise he has received.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Win at home, another monkey of the teams back.

Had loads of chances today, should have been 3 or 4-1
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Interesting that the players either end of the pitch are dividing opinion most at the moment.
Stech, I think generally has been poor, and more to the point I don't think his defenders trust him. When he had his first interview with the club and he was asked his strong points he said " he likes to command his area" . Sorry but we just don't see that. Clearly he isn't fancied much for penalties either. I'm surprised Stone didn't start today.
Bowery. There is no question some of his link up play is good, but if you want to win league matches can you really select 1 striker out of 2 who is never going to score? I don't think we have that luxury. We certainly lack pace up there. Maynard has his critics but knows where the goal is, and Reid deserves a bit more time. If we played them as the forward 2 we would have to keep the ball on the floor though. Could Bowery play a deep No 10 role behind Maynard and Reid? With Clarke holding midfielder and 2 of Lapslie, Charsley and Maris center mids? McLaughlin would drop out.
Work is required whatever as we were well off convincing all over the park.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Did anybody notice Lapslie/Charsley take the ball in the first half when Stech came out for it too? I do think we have a trust issue but not on the level the players had with Logan.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:50 pm

I think Maris changed the game more than Reid did.
Maris is a much better footballer than McLaughlan and we suddenly had an extra player in the middle of the park which allowed Clarke to settle more and for the last 30 mins of normal time and all extra time we controlled the game in midfield
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:52 pm

Johnny H wrote:I think Maris changed the game more than Reid did.
Maris is a much better footballer than McLaughlan and we suddenly had an extra player in the middle of the park which allowed Clarke to settle more and for the last 30 mins of normal time and all extra time we controlled the game in midfield

Can't see McLaughlin getting a longer deal, it's up in January and he's not really impressed apart from the goal at Newport
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm

The shape change helped us control the game. Midfield looked much more secure in a 4-5-1.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby StaginMorley » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:59 pm

I don’t get the hatred of Bowery. Clough, who probably has better judgement than most of us has played him from the off. He’s not a goal scorer but holds the ball up and gets around the pitch and defends when we need him. Probably better to play him in away games. We are on the up overall, and creating lots of chances, just need Maynard to start banging them in
StaginMorley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Agree about Maris, he's a decent footballer
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Exactly Morely. Bowery is good at doing work other forwards don't or can't do. Problem lies in the fact he doesn't score enough.

His work rate for the team is excellent. Links play well. Just need others to take the weight off his shoulders and score the chances he makes them.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:16 pm

You could see how Clough is going to play football no matter what side he's got to pick from.
Think that's why lapsie is so deep, it stops the defenders from going long.
Was some really good build up play to the early chances in the first half.
The right players in the right positions, playing that style of football will get us far.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:25 pm

I think we missed Perch today, he gets the backs passing forwards a bit quicker. We take too long to move forward which gives the opposition time to regroup and we then move at a snails pace trying to find gaps.

Perch can get the process going more quickly which in turn makes us move quicker and gives the forwards more space.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum