{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Daggers scorefred sponsored by Stone's our No1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Daggers scorefred sponsored by Stone's our No1

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 pm

:) Always nice to get to third round of draw ,never know who until that ball ball pops up who we might get. :)

Any way good result ,well done NC and the team :clap: :clap:

:mtfc: :coys: :mansfield_till_i_die: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

George Maris played very well as sub and had much more of an impact on the game than Stephen McLaughlin. He's the best passer of a ball in our squad.

My man of the match was Ollie Clarke. Yes, he lost possession of the ball before the Daggers goal and gave the ball away too much but he never stopped trying to get us going forward. He was up and down that midfield all game and constantly involved. He must have had around 7 or 8 shots on goal. One shot was well saved, another was deflected on to the post, another one looked harshly ruled out for offside and another was stopped by a great block. He's got a great engine on him and keeps going to the final whistle. If an opposition midfield player had played like that against us then we would have been raving about him.

I also thought Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning played well and were constantly trying to get forward to put crosses in. Gordon must have put around 15 crosses in from the right and Andy Cook could have had a hat-trick. He also played that great ball in to Jamie Reid where he should have scored. The move was started by Ollie Clarke and George Maris. Mal Benning also put some good crosses in and Andy Cook should have again scored from one of them.

Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney played well in defence. Sweeney let McCallum get behind him for the goal but he was very strong in the air particularly in the first half. Rawson made a great headed clearance in the second half.

George Lapslie was his usual busy self constantly trying to make himself available. Harry Charsley took his goal really well. It was an excellent finish.

Jordan Bowery's finishing is disappointing but he created both goals. His hold up play was much better than Andy Cook although he started giving the ball away as he got more tired as the game went on. Andy Cook's hold up play was awful but he he could have scored four or five goals today on chances. Nigel Clough clearly likes getting in as many crosses as possible into the box so he might keep faith in Andy Cook as he does have a habit of getting on the end of crosses. He just needs to start sticking them in the net. Jamie Reid did well when he came on and could have scored a couple of goals. He also helped set up the winner.

I liked Nigel Clough taking Marek Stech off for the penalty shoot out. I remember arguing back in 1990 that Bobby Robson should have subbed Peter Shilton for the penalty shoot out against West Germany in Italia 90 as Shilton hardly ever seemed to save penalties and Chris Woods had a better record. I was really chuffed that Martin O'Neill did this in the 1996 Championship Play Off Final when he brought on Zeljko Kalac in the 119th minute but Steve Claridge then went and shinned in the winner for Leicester from 25 yards in the 120th minute. A bit like today! Louis Van Gaal also brought Tim Krul on as a sub for a penalty shoot out in a World Cup Quarter-Final against Costa Rica in 2014 and Krul saved two penalties. Good thinking by Nigel. I like the cut of his jib. Some keepers are just better at saving penalties than others.

We were worthy winners today and deserve to progress to the next round. Cup games are never easy to win. Well done to Nigel Clough and all the players. That's another £25,500 in the bank plus the £12,500 TV fee. Let's draw another non-league team or league 2 team in the next round for a chance to win another £82,500 and possibly more TV money.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:51 pm

StaginMorley wrote:Clough, who probably has better judgement than most of us . . .

No.
Clough DOES have a better judgement than ALL of us . . .
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:13 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
w12stag wrote:m.o.m Stone. Never put a foot wrong

Best pass of the match :lol:

Hope you’ve paid your TV licence

Of course belly don't you worry mate... All legal and above board ;)
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby geoffhill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Clarke had his best game today.maynard has to start.Bowery works hard but will never score many goals therefore we are expecting Maynard to score most of the goals.Clough will sort it out and will bring in a few better players in January.Thought Rawson had a decent game today.It will be a hard game on Wednesday in front of their fans.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 am

First time seen a game this season and after reading all today’s comments I think they are a good assessment and common theme seems to be we knock it around well but scoring and dangerous players in the box as a goal threat seem none existent
Maybe he was saving Maynard for Cambridge lol!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 am

I think with Nicky it's a case of he's turning 34 in a week or so and has played alot of football recently and perhaps needed a rest.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:George Maris played very well as sub and had much more of an impact on the game than Stephen McLaughlin. He's the best passer of a ball in our squad.

My man of the match was Ollie Clarke. Yes, he lost possession of the ball before the Daggers goal and gave the ball away too much but he never stopped trying to get us going forward. He was up and down that midfield all game and constantly involved. He must have had around 7 or 8 shots on goal. One shot was well saved, another was deflected on to the post, another one looked harshly ruled out for offside and another was stopped by a great block. He's got a great engine on him and keeps going to the final whistle. If an opposition midfield player had played like that against us then we would have been raving about him.

I also thought Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning played well and were constantly trying to get forward to put crosses in. Gordon must have put around 15 crosses in from the right and Andy Cook could have had a hat-trick. He also played that great ball in to Jamie Reid where he should have scored. The move was started by Ollie Clarke and George Maris. Mal Benning also put some good crosses in and Andy Cook should have again scored from one of them.

Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney played well in defence. Sweeney let McCallum get behind him for the goal but he was very strong in the air particularly in the first half. Rawson made a great headed clearance in the second half.

George Lapslie was his usual busy self constantly trying to make himself available. Harry Charsley took his goal really well. It was an excellent finish.

Jordan Bowery's finishing is disappointing but he created both goals. His hold up play was much better than Andy Cook although he started giving the ball away as he got more tired as the game went on. Andy Cook's hold up play was awful but he he could have scored four or five goals today on chances. Nigel Clough clearly likes getting in as many crosses as possible into the box so he might keep faith in Andy Cook as he does have a habit of getting on the end of crosses. He just needs to start sticking them in the net. Jamie Reid did well when he came on and could have scored a couple of goals. He also helped set up the winner.

I liked Nigel Clough taking Marek Stech off for the penalty shoot out. I remember arguing back in 1990 that Bobby Robson should have subbed Peter Shilton for the penalty shoot out against West Germany in Italia 90 as Shilton hardly ever seemed to save penalties and Chris Woods had a better record. I was really chuffed that Martin O'Neill did this in the 1996 Championship Play Off Final when he brought on Zeljko Kalac in the 119th minute but Steve Claridge then went and shinned in the winner for Leicester from 25 yards in the 120th minute. A bit like today! Louis Van Gaal also brought Tim Krul on as a sub for a penalty shoot out in a World Cup Quarter-Final against Costa Rica in 2014 and Krul saved two penalties. Good thinking by Nigel. I like the cut of his jib. Some keepers are just better at saving penalties than others.

We were worthy winners today and deserve to progress to the next round. Cup games are never easy to win. Well done to Nigel Clough and all the players. That's another £25,500 in the bank plus the £12,500 TV fee. Let's draw another non-league team or league 2 team in the next round for a chance to win another £82,500 and possibly more TV money.
Changing keepers just before a shoot out is more psychological in that it puts doubt into the opposition's penalty takers. I would wager if Stone had started Nigel might have brought Stech on at the end.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Stech Always looks vulnerable twice was left in no mans land, and does not command his 6yd box And couldn't believe some of Gordons crosses and clarke must practice his shooting not in matches, with Harrogate and Daggers we must be running out of balls., Reid still looks clumsy but was better, sure was a peach of a pass for the goal. Cook, wow how many chances does
does he need, and Bowery in front of goal looked he looked poor=crap=sh-t.. i said to the wife when it went to extra time they dont need this with a game on wed, and she said they do=they need the practice, and i thought she had a point, and she dont follow football.
Looking at the game in the cold light of day, it was a banana skin ,and if we had taken again 1/4 of our chances we would have won comfortable, and been 1=0 up after 4 minutes
overall quite happy with the full backs central defenders midfield and forwards creating chances. this match the final ball was better but the finish crap, saying that Charsley finish was sublime., Clough loves a player who gives him 100% and can hold the ball, bringing others into play. without Bowery the ball comes straight back, so looking at the full game, a brilliant pass for goal 1, . a brilliant forward run, and keeping the shot on target, . With so many games time on the training ground limited, Talking about strikers , good ones dont stay in league 2 for long, and good ones dont join league 2 clubs , Clough likes goals from midfield and from set plays, i do not expect many signings in Jan if we are mid table
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 am

bear 73 wrote:Stech Always looks vulnerable twice was left in no mans land, and does not command his 6yd box And couldn't believe some of Gordons crosses and clarke must practice his shooting not in matches, with Harrogate and Daggers we must be running out of balls., Reid still looks clumsy but was better, sure was a peach of a pass for the goal. Cook, wow how many chances does
does he need, and Bowery in front of goal looked he looked poor=crap=sh-t.. i said to the wife when it went to extra time they dont need this with a game on wed, and she said they do=they need the practice, and i thought she had a point, and she dont follow football.
Looking at the game in the cold light of day, it was a banana skin ,and if we had taken again 1/4 of our chances we would have won comfortable, and been 1=0 up after 4 minutes
overall quite happy with the full backs central defenders midfield and forwards creating chances. this match the final ball was better but the finish crap, saying that Charsley finish was sublime., Clough loves a player who gives him 100% and can hold the ball, bringing others into play. without Bowery the ball comes straight back, so looking at the full game, a brilliant pass for goal 1, . a brilliant forward run, and keeping the shot on target, . With so many games time on the training ground limited, Talking about strikers , good ones dont stay in league 2 for long, and good ones dont join league 2 clubs , Clough likes goals from midfield and from set plays, i do not expect many signings in Jan if we are mid table

We won't be, be lucky if we're 18th-19th
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Is 26 pages a score thread record? Just finished reading it. There’s probably 14 pages of embarrassing rubbish about Bowery yet again of whom had it not been for him we may have been knocked out. He’s our Emile Heskey. People need to get used to it. There’s more to being a striker than how many goals you score.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Dan wrote:Is 26 pages a score thread record? Just finished reading it. There’s probably 14 pages of embarrassing rubbish about Bowery yet again of whom had it not been for him we may have been knocked out. He’s our Emile Heskey. People need to get used to it. There’s more to being a striker than how many goals you score.

So he's not a striker then. He's a striker's foil.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum