{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Harrogate score thread sponsored by Stech is our number 1

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Harrogate score thread sponsored by Stech is our number

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree with Nigel. I thought James Perch was our MOM followed by Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning. Kellan played well going forward and made two or three good blocks including blocking a couple of crosses which is an improvement for him. He was our main offender though for giving the ball away and losing possession on around ten occasions. Ollie Clarke was the main offender in the first half. I'm sure Ollie will improve as he plays more regularly.

We gave the ball away far too much as a team. We only had a couple of decent patches of passing football. There was one really good move in the first half (16th minute) which resulted in the Kellan Gordon cross where Warren Burrell made a good block; and then we had a good move in the 79th minute which resulted in McLoughlin having his cross blocked, Benning having his shot blocked and Ollie Clarke blasting over the bar. Ollie Clarke did play a great ball to Jamie Reid on the right but Reid could not control it.

It was a bad mistake by Stephen McLaughlin to get muscled off the ball by Jack Muldoon which allowed Muldoon to put the cross in for the goal. Neither side really deserved to win it. It should have been a draw.

I was surprised by Harrogate. They clearly made a tactical decision to go more direct including the long throws from Dan Jones. They also pressed very well and gave us no time on the ball which forced us into errors. I thought Warren Burrell played well for them.

I take your point on Gordon giving the ball away but sometimes that happens when you are trying to do something and create an opportunity. The alternative is the player passes it square or back and someone has to have a go and try and unlock the defence or you’ll get nowhere. It felt to me tonight that Gordon was the only one likely to do that and so he lost the ball a few times as a result.

I’d agree with your assessment of the two best players, but for me Benning doesn’t offer enough going forward these days. Most of his crosses or passes seem to hit the defenders or go out.

Mal Benning’s pass completion was 71.3%, Gordon’s 51.3% from the early numbers, the lowest of any starting player. A big difference.

Both had two key passes, Gordon 8 crosses, 2 accurate. Benning 4 crosses, 0 accurate.

Interesting stats, thanks for letting me know. Still felt for me though that Gordon was more in the game and likely to make something happen. Benning’s cross accuracy is poor (obviously - 0 per cent) but doesn’t surprise me.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkstag wrote:A thoroughly depressing performance. Nigel has his work cut out but we have a good man in charge.

I make no apologies for saying this ... you wanted Flitcroft out. You got in and this is what you voted for.

Forget the garbage about poor appointments... if he hadn’t pulled the trigger we wouldn’t be here. Clough will sort it though

For those that were instrumental and demanded Flitcrofts dismissal accept responsibility.

Missing out on the play offs or battling relegation...you choose. Sacking Flitcroft took this club back 3 years

You miss mOh god why are you going on about Flitcroft again?

Did you think we were magically going to march up the table when Clough came in? It will be slow and steady progress, which may pick up when he can bring his own players in.

Have you been on the wine - you miss my point completely. Read again -I think Clough will sort

We should have not have sacked Flitcroft. Our decline started then/ mOgh god what don't you gEt-))))

Dont post when p'ssed
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:58 pm

I understood exactly what you said, I’m just sick of hearing about David Flitcroft. The debates been had 183837 times on this forum.

Let it go, move on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I understood exactly what you said, I’m just sick of hearing about David Flitcroft. The debates been had 183837 times on this forum.

Let it go, move on.

Well said. But there were officials instrumental in putting us back as well. One reffed actually the Newport v Walsall game this Tuesday night.
Need not to mention the name (don't want to) and we haven't thankfully had that particular ref since the playoff semifinal first leg, which I actually was able to watch. Therefore I can comment on that and what did happen a few days later. Won't debate our then manager in this case.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:29 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:I take your point on Gordon giving the ball away but sometimes that happens when you are trying to do something and create an opportunity. The alternative is the player passes it square or back and someone has to have a go and try and unlock the defence or you’ll get nowhere. It felt to me tonight that Gordon was the only one likely to do that and so he lost the ball a few times as a result.

I’d agree with your assessment of the two best players, but for me Benning doesn’t offer enough going forward these days. Most of his crosses or passes seem to hit the defenders or go out.

I agree that Kellan Gordon was the player who was trying to get us on the front foot and make something happen. This is why Mal Benning can be an important player for us when he is playing well although I've never been a fan of his defending. I was not a fan of Kellan's defending last season but there are signs that he is improving this part of his game. I think his contract will be up at the end of the season so he needs to make progress this season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:33 am

Lapslie needs to be further forward running at people. That’s his strength. Clarke doesn’t seem match fit after his injury and off the pace. Perch consistent again
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:Lapslie needs to be further forward running at people. That’s his strength. Clarke doesn’t seem match fit after his injury and off the pace. Perch consistent again

They tried to revert to the diamond in the first half but JD to go back to the flat four in the second half as we had no control on midfield. Clarke can’t play the holding role in my opinion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:12 am

It's very simple why we don't perform like last night.
If we get pressed high up the field and harried we can't deal with it. Find a solution to that we'll be OK.

It's important to get on the front foot very early in the game in terms of us pressing the opposition.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:17 am

This team couldn't press a pair of underpants.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Lapslie needs to be further forward running at people. That’s his strength. Clarke doesn’t seem match fit after his injury and off the pace. Perch consistent again

They tried to revert to the diamond in the first half but JD to go back to the flat four in the second half as we had no control on midfield. Clarke can’t play the holding role in my opinion.

Clarke was poor, you expect more from your captain, Nigel should give the armband to Perch who is consistent and in the main his experience shines brightly.

The whole of the midfield were poor, two of which were not worth the shirt last night, sooner Maris is back the better. Nigel's hands are tied until January so he has to make the best of what he has.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am

Well that was certainly no better than a performance under Coughlan, probably Barrow aside.
Its certainly going to hammer home the size of the task for the manager if he didn't already know.
We know the limited capabilities of the players still holding down the shirts..they have shown us enough times already, but just what was the plan.?

I watched us bring the ball out of our own half over the half way line and whether it was a midfielder or defender, they simply had no idea what to do with it. No-one was showing for the ball. We have no width, never get to the bye-line to put in a decent cross and as a result our strikers are feeding off scraps.
We then become limited to shooting from outside the box. That would be a great idea if the crossbar was 6 feet higher. Do we practice shooting at all? Lean back and pretend the old North Stand clock is still there with dingo dollars in for hitting it.

The selection of certain players continues to bemuse.
If Rawson is a first choice centre back we are in serious trouble. Menayese is apparently worse (thanks GC)
Mclaughlin...what does he actually do, what's his role in the team? The only times he has ever looked like making a contribution is when he pushes forward and that never happens. He's a lightweight defender.
Lapslie/Charsley just appear too similar, trying to carry out the same roles. Clarke is flattering to deceive at the moment.
Bowery....(disclaimer here, the only 2 games I have missed this season are the 2 we have won, where apparently he played well) but seriously??.. a striker? Is he? If he is there to win headers/hold up play, the put Cook in the team instead. He might actually do it. Seems like Bowery somehow has conned 3 managers already this season.
Maynard..getting a lot of stick from some quarters but I have some sympathies..he's getting 1 chance a game.
Reid doesn't look like he can trap a bag of cement.
I would still start with Maynard/Cook and then give Sinclair a chance later on. Not a combination any manager has chosen. I'm sure they know better than me, but results don't back that up.

This is getting early echoes of the relegation season.....too many decent players to go down? Not sure about that. The difference this time is we have a good manager and great owners who will no doubt support as required, but a decent size clear out is going to be needed. Again.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:03 am

Spiritater wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Although this was a poor disappointing performance, it was light years ahead of what we saw under Coughlan. We looked better at the back (but still not good) and didn’t get run ragged all game.

I think this also shows how important Maris is to the team and Clarke got nowhere near to being a good replacement. We are desperately short of a free scoring forward and the Harrogate defence easily coped with everything we threw at it.

I don’t know what Sweeney has done to not even get a few minutes on the pitch but he couldn’t have done any worse than Rawson, perhaps it’s because both he and Perch play on the left. Is O’Keefe injured?. He is a natural right back and should be playing there with Gordon on the left wing instead of McLaughlin.

We can’t expect miracles overnight and as long as they pick it up again I will just look on this one as a blip.

This lot have had to many blips this season. For all we know the 'run' may have been a blip and we've now reverted to type.

Not like you to be negative
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:27 am

Spiritater wrote:This team couldn't press a pair of underpants.

When was the last time you smiled ?
Come on be honest..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:50 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I understood exactly what you said, I’m just sick of hearing about David Flitcroft. The debates been had 183837 times on this forum.

Let it go, move on.

Although I agree DF shouldn't have been sacked, you are right the DF debate should have ended.

We've had three managers since then !

We are lucky to have NC in charge. He will sort us out. Give him time. Keep the faith.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Brinner » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm

victor A block wrote:Well that was certainly no better than a performance under Coughlan, probably Barrow aside.
Its certainly going to hammer home the size of the task for the manager if he didn't already know.
We know the limited capabilities of the players still holding down the shirts..they have shown us enough times already, but just what was the plan.?

I watched us bring the ball out of our own half over the half way line and whether it was a midfielder or defender, they simply had no idea what to do with it. No-one was showing for the ball. We have no width, never get to the bye-line to put in a decent cross and as a result our strikers are feeding off scraps.
We then become limited to shooting from outside the box. That would be a great idea if the crossbar was 6 feet higher. Do we practice shooting at all? Lean back and pretend the old North Stand clock is still there with dingo dollars in for hitting it.

The selection of certain players continues to bemuse.
If Rawson is a first choice centre back we are in serious trouble. Menayese is apparently worse (thanks GC)
Mclaughlin...what does he actually do, what's his role in the team? The only times he has ever looked like making a contribution is when he pushes forward and that never happens. He's a lightweight defender.
Lapslie/Charsley just appear too similar, trying to carry out the same roles. Clarke is flattering to deceive at the moment.
Bowery....(disclaimer here, the only 2 games I have missed this season are the 2 we have won, where apparently he played well) but seriously??.. a striker? Is he? If he is there to win headers/hold up play, the put Cook in the team instead. He might actually do it. Seems like Bowery somehow has conned 3 managers already this season.
Maynard..getting a lot of stick from some quarters but I have some sympathies..he's getting 1 chance a game.
Reid doesn't look like he can trap a bag of cement.
I would still start with Maynard/Cook and then give Sinclair a chance later on. Not a combination any manager has chosen. I'm sure they know better than me, but results don't back that up.

This is getting early echoes of the relegation season.....too many decent players to go down? Not sure about that. The difference this time is we have a good manager and great owners who will no doubt support as required, but a decent size clear out is going to be needed. Again.

Good post. Agree with all of that. Nigel should have changed it sooner last night. Straight swap Maynard/Bowery off Cook/Sinclair on at half time or after 15 minutes of second half. Really not seen a sign in Reid yet (but it is early days) so give the youngster a chance.
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Here's my amateur pics from last night if you want a look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 2327904104
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm

I am afraid GC stitched us up with too many poor players on two year deals.

Can Nigel work the oracle with them, I really do hope so.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Last night was bobbins. No doubt about that.

But in what seems like million years of supporting Stags I've lost count of the amount of games where Stags have gone a goal down fairly early in a game & huffed & puffed for the next 70 or 80 minutes without ever looking like scoring. It's even happened in seasons when we've been playing well.

It's like the goal goes in & a little voice in your head is whispering, 'you might as well go home now mate, this game is done'.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Oh dear my worst nightmares come to haunt me, kick and rush football, attack any thing that moves, whack and chase it ,and we were like a rabbit caught in headlights.
where to start, we did limit there chances on goal but in the final third of the pitch our passing and decisions were shocking, we offered nothing even so we created some goal scoring opportunity's, and we shown we could make the ball reach a great height., their goal keeper must have come off with jet=lag, looking into the night sky has our efforts sailed off into the atmosphere, they wore us down took control of midfield, and gave us a lesson in how to see a game out. Clough has seen it all and we hope he got something out of this game.
Me i aint a clue Sweeney at the back, Perch central mid field. Rawson out , more grit in midfield, what is our best strike force, have we got the players to compete physically in league 2
have we got the talent to be the difference and win games, Well done Harrogate a brilliant away performance,, you certainly gave us a wake up call, We thought we had the skilful players
But skill only works after you first put the effort in.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 pm

I’m really surprised we were that bad last night, I expect a lot of mediocre performances but that was unacceptable.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Although this was a poor disappointing performance, it was light years ahead of what we saw under Coughlan. We looked better at the back (but still not good) and didn’t get run ragged all game.

I think this also shows how important Maris is to the team and Clarke got nowhere near to being a good replacement. We are desperately short of a free scoring forward and the Harrogate defence easily coped with everything we threw at it.

I don’t know what Sweeney has done to not even get a few minutes on the pitch but he couldn’t have done any worse than Rawson, perhaps it’s because both he and Perch play on the left. Is O’Keefe injured?. He is a natural right back and should be playing there with Gordon on the left wing instead of McLaughlin.

We can’t expect miracles overnight and as long as they pick it up again I will just look on this one as a blip.

This lot have had to many blips this season. For all we know the 'run' may have been a blip and we've now reverted to type.

Not like you to be negative

Lobworm's better in the winter months pal.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 pm

Dan wrote:Here's my amateur pics from last night if you want a look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 2327904104

Come on Dan, let's all rise above the childish and very thinly veiled comments.

I thought you said you were going to stop causing arguments on every thread?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Dan wrote:Here's my amateur pics from last night if you want a look: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 2327904104

Come on Dan, let's all rise above the childish and very thinly veiled comments.

I thought you said you were going to stop causing arguments on every thread?

:lol:
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:43 am

Really disappointed and back down to earth with a bang, too many below par performances at the same time.

Having said that we still had 3 or 4 chances to nick a point.

Maynard has to score with that header, for a bloke who is clearly an instinctive goal scorer it was a bad miss. I know he got his goal at FGR but overall don't think he's pulled up any trees over the 4 games NC has been around, which is surprising because he's someone I wanted Nige to sign for a good few years.

Charsley has to hit the target and I think maybe George could have done better with the ball that fell to him, although I admit it did come at him pretty quickly.

I actually thought Rawson and Perch handled the physical side of things well under such a barrage of long and high balls but feel Rawson isn't great with the ball at his feet.

When I watched the earlier games, I had high hopes for McLaughlin under NC's guidance and felt his set piece delivery would be a major threat, so far he's been a bit meh and last night was poor. The biggest disappointment was his lack of fight, I think if he'd have shown a bit more desire he'd have had a tap in at the far post from the shot/cross that flashed across the goal mouth first half, he's got to make that run.

I think Cook has probably played himself into the starting 11, he looked very lively when he came on but maybe controversially I'd play him either with Bowery or even up top on his own with a 5 man midfield.

I think eventually Nigel will move to a 4-3-3 when we're on the ball which shifts to a 4-5-1 without but to play that way, we need a really energetic midfielder who presses and harries and I don't think we have that player here.

Once we sign someone like that it would then free Lapslie further forward, allowing him to bomb on.

I don't know if the January budget is big enough to pay fees or if he'd go back to pillage Burton but if he would there are 3 players there that would solve a lot of his problems. John Brayford (right back/ centre half, Lucas Akins who can play anywhere but would be a beast up front and get 15 goals in this league easily and Ryan Edwards a real terrier in midfield, if any of the 3 would drop a level, I'd break the bank to sign any of them.

Fair play to Harrogate, I certainly got it wrong underestimating them. They produced the perfect away performance full of grit, determination and a bit of quality at times as well. They did a proper job on us.

Roll on Sunday, a real and much needed opportunity to lift the spirits.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am

Good post Broomo .

Cook has been playing himself into the starting 11 since the season started but for some reason was not selected by Coughlan and so far Clough . I still feel him and Maynard should be the front 2 . Maynard isn't pulling up any trees at the moment but we are basically asking him to take the one chance he gets a game with our poor decision making and appalling distribution in the final third . Something Clough has alluded to .
McLaughlin as I said earlier isn't a great defender . Looks better going forward but doesn't get himself in the position to do so .
The right mix in midfield hasn't been right at this club for the 7 years we have tried to progress in this league . We are certainly no closer now in that regard .
His selection on Sunday will be interesting . I would expect Stone to play . I'm not convinced Stechs shaky start to the season has given the defence full confidence .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum