{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Spiritater wrote:
SankMTFC wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Be great if some of the moaners would step up and let Martin and Dean have a game off!!! Oh yeah, that’s right......No.

Shut up you sausage, I’m allowed my opinion and my opinion is, he’s horrific

Dean sounds bored, in fact totally peed off and I don't blame him watching that tripe. if I was in the box with Marty I'd have fell asleep.

To be fair you'd be more exciting and defo more positive asleep.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:13 pm

SankMTFC wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Be great if some of the moaners would step up and let Martin and Dean have a game off!!! Oh yeah, that’s right......No.

Shut up you sausage, I’m allowed my opinion and my opinion is, he’s horrific

And why is that ?
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:24 pm

wrong names time and time again, talking about utter rubbish, stating the obvious, the list is endless
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:04 pm

To Martin & Dean I sincerely and honestly apologise with all my heart for the one comment I made around five weeks ago. I never thought that it would result in tumultuous amount of angry keyboard typing. The likes of which we haven’t seen on here since, McClouglin, Dempster, Logan etc etc . The list goes on.

All, things aren’t the best at the moment though turning inwards and attacking those that give their time for our benefit will not help the cause. We aren’t Spireites, so don’t behave like one.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:06 pm

SankMTFC wrote:wrong names time and time again, talking about utter rubbish, stating the obvious, the list is endless

Oh a couple of wrong names ,that’s cleared it up
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:00 pm

SankMTFC wrote:wrong names time and time again, talking about utter rubbish, stating the obvious, the list is endless
b

Then turn the sound off.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Why should he have to do that ? He pays for a service... the video of the game and the commentary ,so why should he lose 50% of the product he pays for...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby SankMTFC » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:37 pm

oldweststander wrote:
b

Then turn the sound off.

Why should I have to, as captain says, I pay for the service I expect decent services unfortunately it’s very poor, so as a paying customer I can voice an opinion
SankMTFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby broomo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:58 pm

SankMTFC wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
b

Then turn the sound off.

Why should I have to, as captain says, I pay for the service I expect decent services unfortunately it’s very poor, so as a paying customer I can voice an opinion

You see it with your own eyes, you know who the players are.

Do you really need someone to walk you through the game and tell you what's happening to be able to enjoy or understand it?

Unless you're talking about him mixing up opposing teams players and if you are, I can guarantee anyone on here would occasionally make the same mistakes, we aren't playing against household names who's faces are plastered everywhere.

I bet Martin does a lot of research before games and is actually very knowledgable about other teams players (including statistics and their ex clubs etc.)

Why does it make you so angry if he gets Lapslie and Charsley mixed up occasionally. YOU know who they are don't you?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:00 pm

I've listened to away commentary for a while now, todays was BBC commo with a main commentator and a former Southend player Danny Webb, worked very well. Webb had great insight into players mentalities at different stages of the game.

It works with Radio Notts too with the former Forest players and Stallard with County.

I've nothing against Dean, I just think as a consumer we'd have much better insight into the games if they got the likes of Jamma or Bish, or even D'Laryea, players that have worn the shirt and have experience. At present, Martin provides good coverage and we have Dean who is a passionate fan.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:08 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:To Martin & Dean I sincerely and honestly apologise with all my heart for the one comment I made around five weeks ago. I never thought that it would result in tumultuous amount of angry keyboard typing. The likes of which we haven’t seen on here since, McClouglin, Dempster, Logan etc etc . The list goes on.

All, things aren’t the best at the moment though turning inwards and attacking those that give their time for our benefit will not help the cause. We aren’t Spireites, so don’t behave like one.

well said, quite why this thread has gone on for so long I have no idea. I only listen to the commentary and why it has provoked such a torrent of abuse is beyond me. Martin and Dean need applauding for the effort and the commitment they both show.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:15 pm

88BenM wrote:I've listened to away commentary for a while now, todays was BBC commo with a main commentator and a former Southend player Danny Webb, worked very well. Webb had great insight into players mentalities at different stages of the game.

It works with Radio Notts too with the former Forest players and Stallard with County.

I've nothing against Dean, I just think as a consumer we'd have much better insight into the games if they got the likes of Jamma or Bish, or even D'Laryea, players that have worn the shirt and have experience. At present, Martin provides good coverage and we have Dean who is a passionate fan.

Think I've said it before, these players would not be free and I'm sure if you asked them to go to Carlisle away on a Tuesday night in winter and make their own way there and back, they wouldn't.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:02 pm

I said a few weeks ago that the club should be trying to improve iFollow as it is the current match day experience. If a contracted player or coach can not be expected to support with the commentary occasionally then it’s a poor show.

Football clubs are very good at treating fans like customers when it benefits them, but as soon as it comes to giving a bit back we are expected to put up with it, otherwise we are not considered ‘proper’ fans.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:12 pm

broomo wrote:You see it with your own eyes, you know who the players are.

Do you really need someone to walk you through the game and tell you what's happening to be able to enjoy or understand it?

I made the point a couple of weeks ago that the same commentary is used for audio pass listeners - so to answer your question - yes we do need someone to tell us what’s happening.

Today, matting got our player mixed up with their player on two occasions, pre-emptied a few decisions which were wrong and he criticised the ref numerous times for making the players swap the ball, until he read the forum at half time and realised he was in the wrong.

There is no analysis of the game offered at all, which is why we need someone form the club to support.

Next season, away games might not be on video anymore and will revert back to audio pass only. Now I have seen the game with the commentary, I’ll not bother listening to future games because the commentary does not describe the game well enough.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:13 pm

I nearly forgot, Jamie Clarke left the club about 15 years ago. Why ever Martin was screaming his name I don’t know?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 pm

88BenM wrote:I just think as a consumer we'd have much better insight into the games if they got the likes of Jamma or Bish, or even D'Laryea, players that have worn the shirt and have experience.

Neal Bishop was the Scunthorpe pundit for BBC Radio Humberside today for the Lincolnshire derby against Grimsby Town at Blundell Park. He also covered the Scunthorpe game midweek. The BBC Radio Humberside commentators kept mentioning that he was not very popular with Mariners' fans. Can you remember him celebrating in front of the Grimsby fans last season after the Chief's last minute winner at Blundell Park? I bet he was glad there were no fans in the ground. :lol:

Jamie McGuire and Jonathan D'Laryea were probably playing for AFC Mansfield.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Doesn’t Neal Bishop work for Mansfield Town?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:47 pm

88BenM wrote:I've listened to away commentary for a while now, todays was BBC commo with a main commentator and a former Southend player Danny Webb, worked very well. Webb had great insight into players mentalities at different stages of the game.

Is Danny Webb related to David Webb the former Chelsea player who used to be Southend manager?

Just checked on Google - He is David Webb's son.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:52 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I made the point a couple of weeks ago that the same commentary is used for audio pass listeners - so to answer your question - yes we do need someone to tell us what’s happening.

Today, matting got our player mixed up with their player on two occasions, pre-emptied a few decisions which were wrong and he criticised the ref numerous times for making the players swap the ball, until he read the forum at half time and realised he was in the wrong.

There is no analysis of the game offered at all, which is why we need someone form the club to support.

Next season, away games might not be on video anymore and will revert back to audio pass only. Now I have seen the game with the commentary, I’ll not bother listening to future games because the commentary does not describe the game well enough.

matting here (a bit ironic but never mind). I'm sorry I don't live up to your expectations, as you repeatedly post on this thread. I continually try to do better and spend a lot of time prepping for each game. I did get "McLaughlin" and "McCormack" mixed up - no idea why, I did correct myself though straight away. Sorry.

As for the ball going over the advertising hoardings and the referee insisting that a different ball (sanitised) is used, that has generally not been happening this season. In fact I commented on it at Cambridge when a supporter threw the ball back and the players played on with that ball. Then in the second half, the referee did not seem to be insisting on it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm

As a season ticket holder I am paying 16 quid for a home game, 10 quid for an away game plus my iFollow subscription. At this cost the product should be better than it is.

I wholly accept that Martin and Dean are unpaid volunteers and I applaud their commitment to doing this and Martin’s commitment to stagsnet too.

The fact remains though that the match day experience is poor. This isn’t really Martin’s fault, it’s the clubs.

The club should look to improve the service. They were begging the fans to buy match passes at the beginning of the season, but seemingly don’t care if the fans get their money’s worth.

To be fair to Martin and Dean, the commentary was tolerable to start with because we all knew what effort they put in, but now I’m having to watch and listen to it twice a week it’s becoming more and more difficult to swallow.

It’s also pre-match. Martin comes on 10 minutes before kick off, only to have adverts played over him for 3 of those. A pre match interview from the manager or some pre-game analysis would go a long way. I bet Svante would love his stats to be referenced?

Martin would be good with different people sitting with him on a rotational basis. Stevo, Craig Priest, Dean etc for a fans view and a player / ex player as a football expert.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Today, matting got our player mixed up with their player on two occasions

That's a classic Kevin :lol:

The BBC radio commentators all make mistakes. Commentating on a game is not easy. You only have a second to identify the players and you could be sat high up in a stand. Try doing it yourself whilst watching a game.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:29 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:It’s also pre-match. Martin comes on 10 minutes before kick off, only to have adverts played over him for 3 of those.

I asked Mark to complain about this. He did. The response was to give us the timing of the advert rather than remove it. It's the same for every club. So I've done my best to work around that so we still go through the teams either side of it and not lose that for the viewers. But they have not stuck exactly to the timings, so that has not worked every time (I only know this when I look back after the game). The audio listeners don't get the adverts, so we can't just shut up for a couple of minutes. By the way, we also asked about coming on earlier than 10 minutes before kick off, and was told that we can't do that.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 pm

I bet you can listen to the audio commentary and then switch to the video just before kick off.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 pm

IFollow themselves are very amateurish so I can imagine your frustration Martin.

What worries me is that the club are competing for customers at a time when there are 4-5 top level football matches on TV most days. The broadcast quality of those games is fantastic and it costs less.

I know the club can’t compete with the big broadcasters and I’m not trying to say it can. But, the longer we are in lockdown, the more likely it is that our fans will decide sitting at home to watch the EPL is a better option than returning to Field Mill to support the Stags.

That’s why the match day experience on iFollow needs to be properly looked after
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I bet you can listen to the audio commentary and then switch to the video just before kick off.

Really? It’s this type of mindset which will see clubs like ours die off.

I remember the miners welfare near me in the 80’s and 90’s. it was always busy, but all the old customers complained when the youngsters went in. Then they still wanted to run a business around Bingo, a meat raffle and some ‘performer’ singing karaoke on the stage.

They nearly all refused to try and cater for its changing audience, until it was too late and they all started closing down.

There are houses on the site near me now
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum