{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Martin and Dean

Postby diablo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:32 am

I cannot believe that they are getting criticism for the job they do and its about time some people on here appreciated the amount of effort they put in game after game . Ok they are not professionals and make mistakes and OK Dean is sometimes OTT but so what! , he makes me smile and that's not been a bad thing at times this Season . All I know is that every game Home and Away they are there on the dot come rain or shine and I am extremely grateful to them. Earlier this Season I did not realise that you could get both home and away commentaries and believe me some of the opposition " commentators " are absolute Clowns. So I for one applaud their efforts , keep up the good work guys and THANK YOU BOTH
diablo
First Team
First Team

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 am

Each to their own opinions and all that. But for me personally, I'm just glad we have such enthused fans willing to put so much personal time aside for bringing us commentary. I'm not sure we have an army of replacements if these guys stopped.

Not sure, but is there a way to toggle commentary on/off on Ifollow - perhaps that's the easiest way for those who prefer it without?
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 am

Well said. I enjoy the commentary and it’s great they do this. Dean can occasionally get over optimistic (“..we’re 4 0 down in the 88th minute but maybe we can get back into it and snatch a draw...) but that’s because he’s a supporter and he wants us to win. And don’t underestimate how hard it is to commentate and spot the players when the game is moving quickly and it’s easy to criticise. So carry on doing it Dean and thanks to both Martin and Dean.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby old ram stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 am

They do a good job keep it up chaps.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 am

Keep up the good work Martin, I think you do a good job
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am

Perhaps their critics would like to have a go one week?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 am

No-one is saying that they should stop or criticising the efforts they put in.

I agree that on the whole Martin does a really good job.

Just pointing out that their description of the game sometimes offers little resemblance to what is actually happening. If the game is being listened to and not watched then this is a problem, especially when listeners pay for the service.

Stop over reacting to a bit of feedback that should be seen as an opportunity to improve the product.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 am

They’re a pair of supporters commentating on a
game. The folk who moan need to get a grip
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 am

Christ, I can’t believe what I have started now. I know I often say the revolution will be televised but that does not mean Martin and Dean will be guillotined o/s the Market Inn.

I commend them for their actions to the cause and fully appreciate that MTFC as a whole would be worse off without them. Occasionally, twice this season, they drop one, in my opinion, in the way that a goalkeeper does (apt metaphor this morning). Just something that does not make sense and I think FGS lads you two are better than that don’t let yourselves down.

My IFollow crashed when our goal went in, I wasn’t mad at that but I was annoyed that I had missed it (as Dean kept reminding me). Not at anyone just annoyed that I wasn’t there to see it and that the sporting gods of 2020 had kicked me in the plums again.

The fact that the commentary is not sterile and corporate SKY / BBC raspberry is a blessing and their enthusiasm shines through. I just did not expect that the IFollow commentary would be subject to the same amount of vitriol as those that want to defund the BBC are displaying.

Martin and Dean, I apologise and for all those that are on the band wagon. Chill, now go and listen to the original version of the ‘Fairytail of New York’.

COYS
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:No-one is saying that they should stop or criticising the efforts they put in.

Just pointing out that their description of the game sometimes offers little resemblance to what is actually happening. If the game is being listened to and not watched then this is a problem, especially when listeners pay for the service.

Stop over reacting to a bit of feedback that should be seen as an opportunity to improve the product.

I think that's the most insulting comment that could be made to a commentator or reporter. The job is to relay to the listener what is going on and I do my best to do that faithfully. I've been doing match reports for a long time and I'd like to think they are generally respected. Of course not everyone is going to agree, that's obvious, because everyone has their own opinion. What goes in the report is essentially a repeat of what I say in commentary, just condensed down.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:21 am

I had the away comms on last night for the first half, just to see what they thought of us and nearly fell asleep.... they were professional etc but boring as hell.

I won't lie, tuning in and hearing martins voice is part of the experience for me now, its like the announcer at homes games, feels odd when its someone else.

I think changing co- commentator would be entertaining from time to time, its nice to hear other peoples views on the game rather than dean getting exciting over nothing :lol:

I tell you one thing, from experience I can remember wanting to spit my drink out during a pre game meal when the match day commentator turned up, sat with us and told us he got £650 for a first team game and a YT fixture a week.... Lovely guy but the most Alan partridge of commentators you'll meet. No idea who signed that off but he's gone now often on quest a few games :lol:

But the point is these guys often cost a lot, probably no where near that much, but Martin is a volunteer, and any efforts should be applauded really when no one else is willing to put to hours in he does.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 am

It certainly wasn't written as an insult Martin, but it is my opinion. Like I said on the other thread. It is clear that this is not a welcome point of discussion. You generally do a great job and I commend your commitment. I stand by my opinion, but I'll just leave this topic where it is.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 am

I think they both do a brilliant job; and I thoroughly enjoy listening to their commentaries and views & opinions. Keep it up both, great work!
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:No-one is saying that they should stop or criticising the efforts they put in.

I think that's the most insulting comment that could be made to a commentator or reporter. The job is to relay to the listener what is going on and I do my best to do that faithfully. I've been doing match reports for a long time and I'd like to think they are generally respected. Of course not everyone is going to agree, that's obvious, because everyone has their own opinion. What goes in the report is essentially a repeat of what I say in commentary, just condensed down.

Martin that so many read your match reports and agree speaks volumes though football is extremely subjective and based upon opinions. How often do people stand in a bar, pint in hand, after the match discussing the 90 minutes, especially old friends sat next to each other, say, ‘What game were you watching?’.

If Kevin Kent’s tache wants to be sat where an opinion does not reflect the game, I will swap seats with him. 90 minutes with Big Yella and Old Ram Stag will make him change his mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 am

I suppose when the teams doing well jobs Easyer. Under GC I bet making the game sound interesting was nearly impossible
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:51 am

pmsl Stagsnet could fall out with themselves without outside help

& i thought i was argumentative lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:It certainly wasn't written as an insult Martin, but it is my opinion. Like I said on the other thread. It is clear that this is not a welcome point of discussion. You generally do a great job and I commend your commitment. I stand by my opinion, but I'll just leave this topic where it is.

I genuinely think you meant it as an honest opinion, but reading it, there is little to commend the argument that it is just an opinion and not insulting.
Particularly, when the highlights consistently demonstrate the link between the action and the play. To the extent that Colchester used it last week for their highlights package.

If not written as an insult, then a simple apology would be easy to give
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 am

yorkshire stag wrote:pmsl Stagsnet could fall out with themselves without outside help

We all think you are argumentative :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 pm

I don't think Yorkie is argumentative..........just very impatient...tick tock :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Martin and Dean both do an excellent job for our club and its supporters. I appreciate them very much.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm

One person states a genuinely held opinion and the wolves circle.

Isn’t this place by definition about opinions?

If it is a genuinely held opinion then let them state it and defend it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't think Yorkie is argumentative..........just very impatient...tick tock :lol:

;)
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:pmsl Stagsnet could fall out with themselves without outside help

We all think you are argumentative :lol:

see you soon i hope mate :D
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Another factor that plays into it is the fact the TV camera is on the opposite side to where the commentators are.

It's a different perspective.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:One person states a genuinely held opinion and the wolves circle.

Isn’t this place by definition about opinions?

If it is a genuinely held opinion then let them state it and defend it.

Exactly.
You can't say anything bad about Martin on here without the usual nut huggers chiming in.

If you genuinely dislike how Martin commentates and explain why you don't whats the issue ?

Martin is a big boy and will take it on board and in his stride im pretty sure...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum