{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:48 pm

The problem is that when you bring in so called "professional" commentators they are clueless when it comes to identifying lower league players that they have never watched or remembering their shirt numbers. On the other hand, Martin is excellent at identifying our players as he does it every game every season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:52 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I bet you can listen to the audio commentary and then switch to the video just before kick off.

Really? It’s this type of mindset which will see clubs like ours die off.

I remember the miners welfare near me in the 80’s and 90’s. it was always busy, but all the old customers complained when the youngsters went in. Then they still wanted to run a business around Bingo, a meat raffle and some ‘performer’ singing karaoke on the stage.

They nearly all refused to try and cater for its changing audience, until it was too late and they all started closing down.

There are houses on the site near me now

I'm just trying to give you a solution to your pre-match advert problem. iFollow are not going to change their adverts on the video broadcasts to please the fans. They make money from advertising. It would be like asking Sky TV, BT Sport or ITV to not have adverts before games and at half time and after games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The problem is that when you bring in so called "professional" commentators they are clueless when it comes to identifying lower league players that they have never watched or remembering their shirt numbers. On the other hand, Martin is excellent at identifying our players as he does it every game every season.

Who is saying bring in professional commentators?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The problem is that when you bring in so called "professional" commentators they are clueless when it comes to identifying lower league players that they have never watched or remembering their shirt numbers. On the other hand, Martin is excellent at identifying our players as he does it every game every season.

He was constantly getting Maris and Clarke mixed up first half then repeated umpteen times that cook had come on for Bowery when Bowery was the closest player with his back to the TV stand (TBF to Martin from his view he was furthest player away)

Not a gripe though at Martin as I enjoy his commentary and all the hard work he does for the club....just found it funny.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:57 pm

I was shocked when O’keefee was on the pitch, never seen or heard about the substitution.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:05 am

part time pete wrote:I was shocked when O’keefee was on the pitch, never seen or heard about the substitution.

I did describe it, with sponsors' names as I have to do.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:11 am

part time pete wrote:I was shocked when O’keefee was on the pitch, never seen or heard about the substitution.

That's your name scrubbed off the list of commentators Pete. One mistake and you're fired by the Stagsnet TV critics! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:15 am

O'Keefe is sponsored by ronaldo0
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:21 am

MTFCMAD wrote:

He was constantly getting Maris and Clarke mixed up first half then repeated umpteen times that cook had come on for Bowery when Bowery was the closest player with his back to the TV stand (TBF to Martin from his view he was furthest player away)

Not a gripe though at Martin as I enjoy his commentary and all the hard work he does for the club....just found it funny.

I don't think I did get Maris and Clarke mixed up in the first half. At the start of the second half, I did think it was Bowery who had gone off initially, that was my mistake. I was having to work it out from looking around the pitch, as the players waited for the referee's whistle, to see who wasn't there and I missed Bowery, who was furthest away from me (though right under the camera as you say). The 4th official's board was wrong, it said 11 (Cook) replaced 11 (Cook). I did correct it before the half actually started.

Thanks for the other comments.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:O'Keefe is sponsored by ronaldo0

away he is. Not at home though.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:09 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

I must apologise Martin, just watched the 89th minute of the game again and you did indeed mention it and camera captured it. I didn’t realised I’d dropped to sleep for half a minute, unless I am starting with memory loss.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

I heard you describe it
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:40 am

I really don’t know why we have a 13 page thread complaining about the standard of commentary on ifollow. You have to remember these guys have a totally different view than the camera and are much further from the pitch. Add on the fact they are operating equipment, checking texts and taking notes for reports and it’s hardly surprising they get things wrong.

To put things into perspective just think of Chris Kamara being asked why a player had been sent off. His reply ‘Has someone been sent off Geoff, I must have missed that’. That was from a man with all of the technology and replays available to him yet he had still been distracted. Give the guys a break and enjoy what they are reporting to you.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I really don’t know why we have a 13 page thread complaining about the standard of commentary on ifollow. You have to remember these guys have a totally different view than the camera and are much further from the pitch. Add on the fact they are operating equipment, checking texts and taking notes for reports and it’s hardly surprising they get things wrong.

To put things into perspective just think of Chris Kamara being asked why a player had been sent off. His reply ‘Has someone been sent off Geoff, I must have missed that’. That was from a man with all of the technology and replays available to him yet he had still been distracted. Give the guys a break and enjoy what they are reporting to you.

There are very few moments to 'enjoy' at present, with or without Marty nDeano's commo. The exasperation and frustration in their voices as they watch the game is stark. You know if they were watching with us at home yesterday's game they'd be sat with their heads in their hands most of the time like I was.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:09 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Yes you did Martin.

Everyone please, get off Martin and Dean's case.

If you don't like what you hear, vote with your feet.

I for one will still be watching.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 am

I have no problem with the commentary from either of them. Martin is obviously very knowledgeable, and I think Dean offers a bit of bloke-next-door Mansfield reality.
It's just paying for something that fans of most other clubs get for free that I have an issue with
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:01 am

part time pete wrote:I didn’t realised I’d dropped to sleep for half a minute, unless I am starting with memory loss.

That's me scrubbed off the list as well :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am

Spiritater wrote:The exasperation and frustration in their voices as they watch the game is stark. You know if they were watching with us at home yesterday's game they'd be sat with their heads in their hands most of the time like I was.

I think your perfect commentator Mark would be John Laurie (Fraser from Dad's Army)

"We're all doomed. Doomed!" :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm

So did you watch the 1st half Darren? Only the most happy clappyest of supporters can have gained any inspiration from the dire stuff we were producing. If I was in t'seat next to Marty at half time and he'd asked me for a summary I'd have said, 'Martin, that was bloody rubbish man'.
No punches pulled, no papering it over, just honest straightforward truth.
I however wouldn't expect being asked the following week. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Well I'm disappointed that Martin & Dean have never commented on a game in Klingon :lol: ;)
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:49 pm

13 pages and still going brilliant, Martin & Dean will soon be in the jungle X factor celebrity chase the Wheel, and maybe the Royal Variety Show, They are our Ant n Dec well done lads
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Spiritater wrote:I'd have said, 'Martin, that was bloody rubbish man'. No punches pulled, no papering it over, just honest straightforward truth. I however wouldn't expect being asked the following week. ;)

I think that's true Mark but I'd definitely pay an extra tenner to listen to your frank views of the game. It would be comedy gold :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:02 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Yes you did Martin.

Everyone please, get off Martin and Dean's case.

If you don't like what you hear, vote with your feet.

I for one will still be watching.

What an absolute dick of an argument.

Firstly, I'm a Stags fan, I've had to endure more than a sheite co-commentator in the last 50 years and still keep going, watching and listening.

Secondly, I'm paying for this service and will say Dean is rubbish if I feel like it.

Thirdly, if I vote with my feet as you say where do I get to see the game? ifollow is a monopoly, and like 99% of monopolies it offers awful service because it knows the customer has no other choice .
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:58 am

:lol: It is all about the Nottingham language right ;) Then a thicko like me will understand :lol:

Merry Christmas everyone

KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:02 am

Some of Deans' commentary is a bit cack, yes, but ultimately, he is a nice bloke who gives up a lot of his spare time and expense (assuming SSA doesn't fund it) to do this for us. He is there week in week out. It's a massive commitment to make.

some of the comments are getting a touch personal imo, when he is effectively doing this for free......

Martin is also there week in week out. He has at least a game a week, with players that are probably new to him on a lot of occasions. Having to research etc. He may get the names wrong from time to time but I imagine its a lot harder than it looks. Especially if they look the same and overlapping positions.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum