{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby adamstag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:56 pm

I completely agree that folk should have their opinion despite me being curious as to criticism of Martin given what he does and for free.

In situations like this is always state to those who maybe aren’t keen (fair enough) to provide an alternative to Martin.

I always liked Nigel when he did it so shame they can’t work together - but obviously don’t know if involved politics or anything behind the scenes
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Nigel Pinnick pulled out of doing commentary a few years ago. No politics. Great fun to commentate with, as was Steve Hartshorn, for more than 10 years.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Keep up the good work Martin and Dean.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:01 pm

I think that Martin does wonders for us fans.
The videos he has produced in the last 8 months for us to watch.
However, I think he is badly let down by his sidekick Dean, very very poor at reading a game.
We must have media students who would love to do it and also give them the experience.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby fox in the box » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Paulstag wrote:I think that Martin does wonders for us fans.
However, I think he is badly let down by his sidekick Dean, very very poor at reading a game.
We must have media students who would love to do it and also give them the experience.

Dean seems likeable as a bloke and he’s Mansfield through and through by the sounds of it but I’d much prefer to see someone with more experience within football like a coach or a former player alongside Martin
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm

get black & white on with Marty next time Grrrrrrrrr lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06 pm

fox in the box wrote:

Dean seems likeable as a bloke and he’s Mansfield through and through by the sounds of it but I’d much prefer to see someone with more experience within football like a coach or a former player alongside Martin

I don't think they would be too keen to travel to Carlisle on a winters night for no money.
If we were top of the league scoring goals for fun I don't think we would be even discussing it.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:37 pm

chip63 wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

I don't think they would be too keen to travel to Carlisle on a winters night for no money.
If we were top of the league scoring goals for fun I don't think we would be even discussing it.

Well said Chip, Martin and Dean are absolute diamonds.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 am

Reg Holdsworth wrote:

Just had a look online and found a couple of articles about your relationship with the Clough family; what a heartwarming story; and a whole side to Brian Clough I didn't know existed.

Let us know when you publish the book you're writing![/quote]

Thanks Reg, it's been finished aa near as damn ir for a couple of years already but got stuck in the agent/publisher world.

It'll be out Sept/Oct of next year and will hopefully help change the lives of a couple of kids with the proceeds.

It was an incredible experience being so close to the great man.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:58 am

ST4GS wrote:
Reg Holdsworth wrote:

Just had a look online and found a couple of articles about your relationship with the Clough family; what a heartwarming story; and a whole side to Brian Clough I didn't know existed.

Let us know when you publish the book you're writing!
Brian Clough met me once when I was 11 years old.
Apparently it was his first ever school visit (allegedly) as these visits were very rare back in the day (1978). He was presenting school football trophies to our victorious under 11s and under 12s teams.
On this day back in 1978 the draw for the European Cup of which Forest had qualified by wining the league the previous season took place during the time he was visiting. It was announced Forest had drawn the holders Liverpool in the first round. Someone relayed this information to Brian who never flinched, just grinned and got on with the proceedings.[/quote]

:-) Sounds about right ST4GS, nowt fazed him at all. He's have just thought Ah well, lets get them out of the way early!!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 am

chip63 wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

Many fans already do this. I'm not saying I'm not grateful for their commitment I just think it would be nice to hear different voices alongside the main commentator now and again

As I said earlier no surprise I'm getting hammered simply for having an opinion as a paying customer. This forum is simply a giant clique
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 am

fox in the box wrote:
chip63 wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

Many fans already do this. I'm not saying I'm not grateful for their commitment I just think it would be nice to hear different voices alongside the main commentator now and again

As I said earlier no surprise I'm getting hammered simply for having an opinion as a paying customer. This forum is simply a giant clique

Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean you're getting hammered. What's the point in a board if everyone thinks the same thing?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:32 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
chip63 wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean you're getting hammered. What's the point in a board if everyone thinks the same thing?

I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

The topic should at least be up for discussion. Most people on here supporting the current commentators are simply trying to shut down the debate by giving praise to them which is irrelevant to the paying viewer, such as that they are 'loyal' or 'just volunteers' etc. I'm sure they are loyal and i'm thankful for their contribution, but when it comes to commentating on a football match that people are paying to watch none of those qualities are relevant

I havent seen anyone defend the co commentator's actual ability as a commentator yet, which is telling really
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kernow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am

Either enjoy the commentary or hit the mute button, simples.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am

Kernow wrote:Either enjoy the commentary or hit the mute button, simples.

Well no not really. You can't just turn off the commentary (would be a great option tho!) - if you do then with it goes all background noise. Players shouting, crowd (when they are back) etc - muting the game would detract from it significantly

Besides if I've paid a tenner for a game I expect to be able to listen to it
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:53 am

fox in the box wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
chip63 wrote:[quote="fox in the box"

I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

The topic should at least be up for discussion. Most people on here supporting the current commentators are simply trying to shut down the debate by giving praise to them which is irrelevant to the paying viewer, such as that they are 'loyal' or 'just volunteers' etc. I'm sure they are loyal and i'm thankful for their contribution, but when it comes to commentating on a football match that people are paying to watch none of those qualities are relevant

I havent seen anyone defend the co commentator's actual ability as a commentator yet, which is telling really

I'll defend it.

The co-commentators role is surely just to chirp in with the occasional comment and to bounce off the main commentator.

I think Dean does more than ok.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:56 am

broomo wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

I defended it.

You've been here for about 5 minutes pal and racked up almost the same amount of posts as i have since 2013
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:02 am

fox in the box wrote:
broomo wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

I defended it.

You've been here for about 5 minutes pal and racked up almost the same amount of posts as i have since 2013

Moans about not having a discussion on a message board, someone else makes a good point then you post this :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
broomo wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

I defended it.

Moans about not having a discussion on a message board, someone else makes a good point then you post this :lol:

*makes a good point in your opinion. The bloke has had 70 posts on here in about 2 weeks and has fell out with half the messageboard in that time but if you want to chum up to him be my guest. He's probably listened to Dean just 3 times on commentary so i'm not sure he has the knowledge of a long term paying customer such as myself but there ya go

What I will say though is, you ignore the legitimate concerns and feedback of your paying customers at your peril. They can quite easily go elsewhere (think money going to IPTV providers than to the club)

Anyway back in my box I go. Now i remember why I don't bother with here - plenty of others feel the same judging by that other post on hijacking threads
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 am

fox in the box wrote:I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

And you wont get many that are likely too, for Dean is truly awful in the role, He brings absolutely nothing to the experience of watching the game. No tactical knowledge, no inside insight, no style, nothing other than tired 80's/90's clichés.

There are plenty of other people who would do a much better job, Craig Priest has been mentioned. Ask the club if an injured, suspended, not selected player would be available.

I don't hold much water with his 'Tangerine Trapezoid' theories, but, I think MTFCMussings would do a decent job. I don't want someone I 100% agree with all the time, however, I do want someone who I know has a view and a commitment behind that view, someone who has put some thought into the game, not bland nothingness.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:17 am

Big yella wrote:
fox in the box wrote:I don't want people to necessarily agree with me, that's not the point I'm making

And you wont get many that are likely too, for Dean is truly awful in the role, He brings absolutely nothing to the experience of watching the game. No tactical knowledge, no inside insight, no style, nothing other than tired 80's/90's clichés.

There are plenty of other people who would do a much better job, Craig Priest has been mentioned. Ask the club if an injured, suspended, not selected player would be available.

I don't hold much water with his 'Tangerine Trapezoid' theories, but, I think MTFCMussings would do a decent job. I don't want someone I 100% agree with all the time, however, I do want someone who I know has a view and a commitment behind that view, someone who has put some thought into the game, not bland nothingness.

Craig Priest is good at what he does. Theres also Liam Kent though I think he works for Radio Forest now - however theres other Stags fans who go on their 'Terrace' show too who could be asked. MTFCMusings provides great insight on twitter with his stats etc too. Plus theres those lads who do the pre match podcasts on facebook who provide good discussion

I'm not saying get rid of Dean for every game - just a fresh voice, different perspective and unique insight now and again is all I ask
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 am

fox in the box wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Craig Priest is good at what he does. Theres also Liam Kent though I think he works for Radio Forest now - however theres other Stags fans who go on their 'Terrace' show too who could be asked. MTFCMusings provides great insight on twitter with his stats etc too. Plus theres those lads who do the pre match podcasts on facebook who provide good discussion

I'm not saying get rid of Dean for every game - just a fresh voice, different perspective and unique insight now and again is all I ask

I am.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 am

fox in the box wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
fox in the box wrote:
broomo wrote:
fox in the box wrote:

I defended it.

*makes a good point in your opinion. The bloke has had 70 posts on here in about 2 weeks and has fell out with half the messageboard in that time but if you want to chum up to him be my guest. He's probably listened to Dean just 3 times on commentary so i'm not sure he has the knowledge of a long term paying customer such as myself but there ya go

What I will say though is, you ignore the legitimate concerns and feedback of your paying customers at your peril. They can quite easily go elsewhere (think money going to IPTV providers than to the club)

Anyway back in my box I go. Now i remember why I don't bother with here - plenty of others feel the same judging by that other post on hijacking threads

Which half have I fell out with, just so I know for future reference.

cheers.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:27 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Nigel Pinnick pulled out of doing commentary a few years ago. No politics. Great fun to commentate with, as was Steve Hartshorn, for more than 10 years.

I always enjoyed listening to Steve Hartshorn.

You two give us a good service, keep it coming guys.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 am

Must be very difficult when most of the games this season have been poor to say the least.
Missing the crowd noises is another big factor, I'm struggling to watch the prem games and can't really get into the game.
I can't believe how much I don't like Lawro, carragher and especially Neville, never really bothered me before the covid ban.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum