{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Thought the commentary was good tonight, given it was a pretty drab performance on the pitch. Comments about Dean are a bit harsh, he’s a fan at the end of the day speaking out loud what most of us are probably thinking (still time for a goal etc.). Also keep in mind that given he’s working for the club, he’s probably encouraged to steer away from saying anything too negative about individual players. He also tries to inject a bit of humour.

That’s just my opinion and I appreciate it’s subjective. It must be a really tough job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:12 am

The guy who works with Steveo on match night commentary surname Johnson ,does Mansfield twitter feed. First name might be Brian :?:

Every time i hear him highly impressed , knows is football and what he is talking about :)
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:16 am

KJW STAG wrote:The guy who works with Steveo on match night commentary surname Johnson ,does Mansfield twitter feed. First name might be Brian :?:

Every time i hear him highly impressed , knows is football and what he is talking about :)

Ryan. Nice lad too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:18 am

[/quote]
[quote][/quote]

Just had a look online and found a couple of articles about your relationship with the Clough family; what a heartwarming story; and a whole side to Brian Clough I didn't know existed.

Let us know when you publish the book you're writing!
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby fox in the box » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:48 am

Some of the commentary was way off the mark last night unfortunately

The supposed 'foul' on McLaughlin was simply a lack of strength and really poor defending. Appreciate that it was the wrong side of the field for the commos but still. People are paying for the feed and it needs to be more accurate

It was all well and good when listening on the radio because we couldnt see what a hash the commos were at times making of it. Players names are wrong regularly and there is often a generally poor analysis of even quite slow moving games

I know it's not cool to say these things around here and no doubt i'm going to take a hammering because everyone is pally with the two of them. I'm absolutely not having a go at the commos commitment to the club etc and i am sure they are nice people but surely it's time to allow other co-commentators (former players etc) on to give a proper insight into the game alongside Martin (who is definitely the better of the two). It works well on Radio Forest with Stallard alongside Slater etc
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 am

Nut huggers inbound.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 am

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers seriously i'm not. I just think if people are paying for a service it needs to at least be accurate most of the time. appreciate there are differences in opinion around some incidents but some of it is so wide of the mark it makes listening a chore
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby young vanish » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 am

I for one thoroughly enjoy Martin's commentary errors 'n' all, he's a human being FGS. Show me a commentator who doesn't make the occasional gaff, who remembers 'Coleman's balls'?
He's very knowledgeable about players past and present and biased enough for the enthusiastic supporter.
Dean makes a good partner with comments you'd hear from an average Joe Punter in the crowd close by. He makes me chuckle too with his TV pundit cliches (in the mixer, down the channels, quality dead ball, centre of the park, etc.) liberally mixed with his times gone by Mansfield speak (That was a good shot, weren't it? Does make a difference, don't it?, etc)
They make a good team, give excellent service and we should all be proud of what they give to the club & supporters.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ST4GS » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 am

Reg Holdsworth wrote:

Just had a look online and found a couple of articles about your relationship with the Clough family; what a heartwarming story; and a whole side to Brian Clough I didn't know existed.

Let us know when you publish the book you're writing![/quote]Brian Clough met me once when I was 11 years old.
Apparently it was his first ever school visit (allegedly) as these visits were very rare back in the day (1978). He was presenting school football trophies to our victorious under 11s and under 12s teams.
On this day back in 1978 the draw for the European Cup of which Forest had qualified by wining the league the previous season took place during the time he was visiting. It was announced Forest had drawn the holders Liverpool in the first round. Someone relayed this information to Brian who never flinched, just grinned and got on with the proceedings.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 pm

Must say Dean was right we did need a bit of quality, and despite keep saying it nothing happened, i had my private commentary please==please just hit the target, i repeated it.
I screamed it, and just like dean, it never happened
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:23 pm

fox in the box wrote:Some of the commentary was way off the mark last night unfortunately

The supposed 'foul' on McLaughlin was simply a lack of strength and really poor defending. Appreciate that it was the wrong side of the field for the commos but still. People are paying for the feed and it needs to be more accurate

It was all well and good when listening on the radio because we couldnt see what a hash the commos were at times making of it. Players names are wrong regularly and there is often a generally poor analysis of even quite slow moving games

I know it's not cool to say these things around here and no doubt i'm going to take a hammering because everyone is pally with the two of them. I'm absolutely not having a go at the commos commitment to the club etc and i am sure they are nice people but surely it's time to allow other co-commentators (former players etc) on to give a proper insight into the game alongside Martin (who is definitely the better of the two). It works well on Radio Forest with Stallard alongside Slater etc

Apart from occasionally getting Lapslie and Charsley mixed up earlier in the season, Martin does well with player names. Commentators often make the odd mistake. He also sticks to commentary rather than getting too involved in analysis. I can't really fault his efforts. But you're right that an expert pundit would be nice. Who's going to do it for free though?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Bradders wrote:
fox in the box wrote:Some of the commentary was way off the mark last night unfortunately

Apart from occasionally getting Lapslie and Charsley mixed up earlier in the season, Martin does well with player names. Commentators often make the odd mistake. He also sticks to commentary rather than getting too involved in analysis. I can't really fault his efforts. But you're right that an expert pundit would be nice. Who's going to do it for free though?

Martin does usually call it correctly tbf and his commentary is generally insightful

If not former players perhaps players who are injured could do it? I remember Godfrey Poku did it once... made for some great radio :lol:

Alternatively there are a few Stags fans involved in media as part of their everyday jobs who could help out - or even fanzine editors etc. I dont see why it has to be the same two each time
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:42 pm

fox in the box wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Martin does usually call it correctly tbf and his commentary is generally insightful

If not former players perhaps players who are injured could do it? I remember Godfrey Poku did it once... made for some great radio :lol:

Alternatively there are a few Stags fans involved in media as part of their everyday jobs who could help out - or even fanzine editors etc. I dont see why it has to be the same two each time

I don't see anything wrong with Martin and Dean or why it has to change. Weve had commentators in the past no one liked - Stevo and his custodians and Dave Bracegirdle? I think? I always thought we'd scored when he commentated, but he was more excited for the other team than us.

They do a fine job imo and no reason to change it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:45 pm

I think part of this is folk just like to complain about something, one persons idea gains momentum and everyone jumps on board....

The season is so raspberry we've turned onto to volunteers and so far no ones offered to do any better.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:I think part of this is folk just like to complain about something, one persons idea gains momentum and everyone jumps on board....

The season is so raspberry we've turned onto to volunteers and so far no ones offered to do any better.

Always like this sedgwick, David Sharpe was in the iron sights and that soon went quiet. The groundsmen haven't had much flack recently, surely something has to be their fault soon?

Folk can't complain about the kiosk food so I guess it has to go somewhere else :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:I think part of this is folk just like to complain about something, one persons idea gains momentum and everyone jumps on board....

Always like this sedgwick, David Sharpe was in the iron sights and that soon went quiet. The groundsmen haven't had much flack recently, surely something has to be their fault soon?

Folk can't complain about the kiosk food so I guess it has to go somewhere else :lol:

Literally, David Sharpe was getting hammered and people were demanding an interview explaining what he does day to day... then comes out with our best managerial appointment for some time and they all crawl back into the abyss
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby fox in the box » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Sorry mate but I disagree

Many people are now paying for the service - if they deem the commentary to be substandard (which unfortunately, I feel it is at times) then they have the right to say so

You say no one has offered but I doubt anyone has been asked
fox in the box
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bros » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:19 pm

To bring someone else in to do the commo with Martin may break Covid protocols.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 pm

fox in the box wrote:

Sorry mate but I disagree

Many people are now paying for the service - if they deem the commentary to be substandard (which unfortunately, I feel it is at times) then they have the right to say so

You say no one has offered but I doubt anyone has been asked

It's a tenner to watch your football team, you're not going to get Motson and Mark Lawrenson are you?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Nobody is "complaining", but a few are pointing out where it's not so great and could be improved. No, we aren't going to get "Motson and Mark Lawrenson ", neither are we going to get 4K multi-camera streaming. We know that. Nobody is suggesting Premier League standard coverage, it's just a straw man argument.
But if you have a season ticket so ignore the subscription for home matches, iFollow is still over £30 per month so you'd expect to be able to give feedback if there's anything you aren't impressed with.

Why can't we suggest an improvement without being accused of expecting miracles?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:08 pm

You don't get commentary when you watch live, so turn it off if you don't like it.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Bradders wrote:Nobody is "complaining", but a few are pointing out where it's not so great and could be improved. No, we aren't going to get "Motson and Mark Lawrenson ", neither are we going to get 4K multi-camera streaming. We know that. Nobody is suggesting Premier League standard coverage, it's just a straw man argument.
But if you have a season ticket so ignore the subscription for home matches, iFollow is still over £30 per month so you'd expect to be able to give feedback if there's anything you aren't impressed with.

Why can't we suggest an improvement without being accused of expecting miracles?

Because the commentators probably aren't going to be changed
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:50 pm

Bradders wrote:Nobody is "complaining", but a few are pointing out where it's not so great and could be improved. No, we aren't going to get "Motson and Mark Lawrenson ", neither are we going to get 4K multi-camera streaming. We know that. Nobody is suggesting Premier League standard coverage, it's just a straw man argument.

Exactly. Criticism should be allowed. Having an opinion isn’t a crime
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Exactly. Criticism should be allowed. Having an opinion isn’t a crime

WELL SAID THAT MAN
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:15 pm

I agree Belly. This is a discussion forum not the Martin and Dean fan club.

Fans are paying for a match day experience and it's not unreasonable to offer feedback. In fact most businesses want feedback so it can help improve their product.

For some reason, this is frowned upon in football? Football fans are the worst treat customers going and are just expected to cough up their hard earned cash out of their love of the club.

The season ticket sales are a good example. The club statement was written in a way to almost shame supporters who asked for a refund.

I floated the idea of asking a player to do a guest spot each week. A few others have since suggested the same. Not everyone wants the same, but a bit of insight into the tactical side of the game can go a.long way towards improving the experience. If the club want to provide the best match day experience then you would think they would support this idea?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum