{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Martin and Dean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Martin and Dean

Postby chip63 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:This weekend I've listened to the commentators from BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio London, BBC Radio Essex, Bolton FM etc and they have all made mistakes identifying home and away players. The commentator on TV did the same today. I think Martin is easily as good as the others. The commentators also do not always have a good position. They can sometimes be at the top of the stand and a long way from the pitch and do not have a screen to look at.

Thought the BBC commentator today for our game was professional but very boring and straightforward.

Think people on here forget that martins commentary is for audio coverage too,
Today's commentator would of sounded terrible on the radio and he got more bored as the game went on to be honest.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:43 pm

I was about to comment the same thing, chip.

Martin is essentially commentating for the blind. So while the BBC commentator can say "mansfield have a free kick" Martin has to try and tell you where this free kick actually is to help paint a picture.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:49 pm

It’s worth reminding all their critics that Martin and Dean cover every match FOR THE LOVE OF MTFC. They’re not paid a penny by the club. Remember, also, that this forum only exists because of Martin selfless service.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 pm

Welcome back Edders
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm

BBC commentator was awful. I could commentate on paint drying and make it sound more interesting and exciting
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Will take the odd martin miss hap and bingo dean every week
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:58 pm

We missed Martin going mental celebrating a last minute winner. Always worth the entrance fee. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We missed Martin going mental celebrating a last minute winner. Always worth the entrance fee. :lol:

Perhaps Martin can dub his commentary on the BBC pictures.
part time pete

Postby Bradders » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Clearly Martin and Dean are streets ahead of the BBC guy, although he did an adequate job. That doesn't stop me wanting a change from Dean though!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We missed Martin going mental celebrating a last minute winner. Always worth the entrance fee. :lol:

Perhaps Martin can dub his commentary on the BBC pictures.

not allowed to do that, and you'll have noticed that we have no pitchside footage for the last few weeks due to furlough unfortunately, so can't do that either.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Do you have a link to your audio of the last goal? Would be good to compare.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:49 pm

chip63 wrote:Do you have a link to your audio of the last goal? Would be good to compare.

yes, perhaps tomorrow
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:18 am

I could hear you all from the other side of the ground :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 am

Why bring a guy up from the south when Radio Florist have perfectly good commentators in Colin Frey and Charlie Slater. Perhaps it's because they insist on calling it Field Mill instead of Wonk Hall
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:52 am

Bros wrote:Why bring a guy up from the south when Radio Florist have perfectly good commentators in Colin Frey and Charlie Slater. Perhaps it's because they insist on calling it Field Mill instead of Wonk Hall

Weren’t the radio florist guys at the city ground yesterday afternoon.
part time pete

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:14 am

Having watched and listened to the game on BBC I player, it makes you appreciate the fantastic commentary that Martin and Dean give every week. Keep up the good work lads
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:29 am

As long as Martin does not use the phrase, ‘Handbags’ to describe the laughable attempts of grown men, posturing over who has the ball at a throw in, they should be okay and will be here for a long time to come.

Unless a snowflake takes offence at Dean’s use of the phrase, ‘Isn’t it Martin’ on the grounds that it is non-inclusive of people called Jeremy. (Could well happen as this year is bat crap crazy).
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:38 am

Doesn't radio Florist have a guy at our matches doing a ghost commentary so they can add it to the TV coverage on EMT? Martin can you add your commentary of the second goal to the highlights reel?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 am

I am Spartacus wrote:As long as Martin does not use the phrase, ‘Handbags’ to describe the laughable attempts of grown men, posturing over who has the ball at a throw in, they should be okay and will be here for a long time to come.

Unless a snowflake takes offence at Dean’s use of the phrase, ‘Isn’t it Martin’ on the grounds that it is non-inclusive of people called Jeremy. (Could well happen as this year is bat crap crazy).

I read that over the weekend. What a sack of utter raspberry the BBC is. The sooner we don’t have to pay a tax to fund that PC raspberryshow the better.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:48 am

BBC iplayer worked out well in the end but just watching the game card with only 5 minutes to go had me panicking, i did miss Martin and Deans commentary,that warm feeling of having one of our own, or yes two of our own, and looking forward to there reaction to Maynards goal, you dont realise what you have, till its not there
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:As long as Martin does not use the phrase, ‘Handbags’ to describe the laughable attempts of grown men, posturing over who has the ball at a throw in, they should be okay and will be here for a long time to come.

I read that over the weekend. What a sack of utter raspberry the BBC is. The sooner we don’t have to pay a tax to fund that PC raspberryshow the better.

Having read that story too I think with policies like that the BBC are hastening their own demise. Almost blew a gasket myself when I read that!

Back to yesterday's commentary, the chap went so quiet in extra time we wondered if his contract ended at the end of normal time? Either that or he had popped off to the loo for five minutes?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:26 pm

The BBC'S worst enemy is the BBC
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Chris M wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Having read that story too I think with policies like that the BBC are hastening their own demise. Almost blew a gasket myself when I read that!

Back to yesterday's commentary, the chap went so quiet in extra time we wondered if his contract ended at the end of normal time? Either that or he had popped off to the loo for five minutes?

He had very limited enthusiasm at the start and did not sound at all excited about extra time. He said something like ‘can one of the sides score to avoid extra time’. He might have added ‘so I can get home earlier’.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Just skimmed through the live MOTD programme from yesterday and the TV commentator gets the name of our scorer wrong. He said it was George Lapslie.

The point about radio commentary is a good one. I watched Port Vale v Leyton Orient on Saturday and I switched between commentaries. The BBC Radio Stoke commentator was good but he was talking far too fast because he was clearly trying to describe everything that happened for a radio audience. I preferred the BBC Radio London commentator because he had a more leisurely delivery and he would only go into radio mode when he was doing his 30 second updates for the studio.

Then again, you can have the two Morecambe commentators who often do not commentate on the game at all but spend all their time trying to crack jokes, thinking up their next terrible pun and reading out tweets and messages from fans. The Tranmere commentator also often does this.

Some of the co-commentators are sometimes former players e.g. Port Vale (Phil Sproson), Southend (Glenn Pennyfather), Tranmere (Dave Higgins or "Higgy"). Higgy is quite funny because he a local character and he will say something on the commentary and then you can hear him turning round and talking to someone else next to him or behind him about what he's just said! He also punches the commentator when Tranmere score. This may be where the BBC is providing commentary so they are probably being paid for doing it or claiming expenses. Glenn Pennyfather was good on Saturday and he was the best of the three former players.

The co-commentators for Oldham and Crawley are very poor and do not add much to the analysis of the game. The Crawley one may be a former player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:58 pm

I enjoy listening to Tommo on BBC Radio Lincs. The comments that got him in trouble were not "handbags" but suggesting the referee or an opposition player was "being a bit of a drama queen….. he’d have been better wearing a skirt” and also suggesting that the referee was in a bad mood because his wife was having her period. These were not the cleverest things for him to say.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum