{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Col U Score Thread sponsored by Top 7 here we come

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am

What goes unnoticed with Stech is despite the fact he’s 30 years old, he’s only played around 140 games, so around 3 full EFL seasons. He’s also not been a number one keeper since 2017/18, so it’s unsurprising that he seems rusty or inexperienced.

If you contrast that with Andy Cook, who is the same age but has played over 350 league games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am

MTFCMusings wrote:What goes unnoticed with Stech is despite the fact he’s 30 years old, he’s only played around 140 games, so around 3 full EFL seasons. He’s also not been a number one keeper since 2017/18, so it’s unsurprising that he seems rusty or inexperienced.

If you contrast that with Andy Cook, who is the same age but has played over 350 league games.

The reason he's not played many games is because he's not very good
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:What goes unnoticed with Stech is despite the fact he’s 30 years old, he’s only played around 140 games, so around 3 full EFL seasons. He’s also not been a number one keeper since 2017/18, so it’s unsurprising that he seems rusty or inexperienced.

He's been a decent keeper for Luton and Yeovil but agreed he's not played that much.... He reminds me of Scott shearer.

Theres definitely some very good keepers out there. Ive always wanted James McKeown from grimsby tbh
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am

I think that because of who it is is the reason he’s getting hammered. It’s a bit like certain posters on here who read who has posted a comment rather than what the comment says.

If Alan Marriott had done what Stech had done on Friday people would have been saying how unlucky he was. But because it was Stech he’s getting slaughtered. Same would’ve happened had it been Logan. But if it had been Olejnik he would’ve been unlucky too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

That one of Pell sliding along the floor in front of Nicky looks more like a West end musical :lol:

Great pics Dan - you know your way around a Kodak ;)

Cheers mate appreciate the comments.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:

Maybe, but he made team of the season on League Two a few years ago, so maybe not.

The number of games played isn’t really a representation of how good a player is, as I’m sure you know.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Dan wrote:I think that because of who it is is the reason he’s getting hammered. It’s a bit like certain posters on here who read who has posted a comment rather than what the comment says.

If Alan Marriott had done what Stech had done on Friday people would have been saying how unlucky he was. But because it was Stech he’s getting slaughtered. Same would’ve happened had it been Logan. But if it had been Olejnik he would’ve been unlucky too.

Don't agree with that Dan RE Stech, his mistakes this season have caused people to get tired of it constantly costing us rather than any irrational hatred. Off the top of my head he's dropped clangers in 3 games (Orient, Bolton, Colchester) already this season when we've been in front and we drew, that's 6 points already and we're barely a quarter way through the season.

Mazza and Bobby had runs of games with no mistakes hence when they did make a mistake people forgive it more as they've proved it's a one-off. I think you have a point on Conrad who was no-where near as bas as people made out.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 pm

It wasn't a mistake by Stech it was a misjudgment, just like maynards misjudgement of not passing it to Bowery.
Dropping the ball is a mistake.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Its a gk mistake end of even Clough said so.

It would still be a mistske if marriott, olejnik, pilko, ward, hitchcock had done the same.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Its a gk mistake end of even Clough said so.

It would still be a mistske if marriott, olejnik, pilko, ward, hitchcock had done the same.

What does he know :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:43 pm

AlanStag wrote:
Dan wrote:I think that because of who it is is the reason he’s getting hammered. It’s a bit like certain posters on here who read who has posted a comment rather than what the comment says.

Don't agree with that Dan RE Stech, his mistakes this season have caused people to get tired of it constantly costing us rather than any irrational hatred. Off the top of my head he's dropped clangers in 3 games (Orient, Bolton, Colchester) already this season when we've been in front and we drew, that's 6 points already and we're barely a quarter way through the season.

Mazza and Bobby had runs of games with no mistakes hence when they did make a mistake people forgive it more as they've proved it's a one-off. I think you have a point on Conrad who was no-where near as bas as people made out.

What about Bradford City clanger
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:42 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I have no vendetta against you, Mr Touchy. I quoted you as an example of the mob mentality of this board.

For your info, it most definitely was a mistake. I wasn’t making a point about that. I was making the point that some were calling for him to be dropped for it. And off you went. Snidy

People want Stech dropped because he has made multiple mistakes this season rather than this one specific mistake.

Tbf, most of the squad have been poor this season - Rawson & Bowery spring to mind.

Think he's improved massively in the short 'post GC' era, so I'd stick with him for now
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:58 pm

It's been pretty quiet regarding Bowery recently, it's shifted from him to stech now :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:It's been pretty quiet regarding Bowery recently, it's shifted from him to stech now :lol:

I think we all agree Stech has improved too, bar one error. All the players have improved imo. The new manager is better too :P
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm

I still think Logan was one of the better keepers we've had since being back in the league, Certainly not given credit for some of the best saves we've seen at field mill... I still think they should have got him in shape though.

And one thing to possibly pardon Stechs mistake, If you've played at field mill at night you might know, sometimes the ball does vanish at a certain height in the haze of the lights.... It was always difficult playing centre back at night when a team would just pump it long. He possibly lost sight of the ball and couldn't see how slowly it was coming his way, once he's coming out he's got to go for it? Oh well

Also on a Saturday afternoon when the suns setting between the north stand and west stand when you approach the edge of the box you cant see anything infront of you. I missed an empty net in a cup final because of this :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Sedgwick on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

I still think Logan was one of the better keepers we've had since being back in the league, Certainly not given credit for some of the best saves we've seen at field mill... I still think they should have got him in shape though.

"Best saves seen at The Mill", are you on the weed?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

In recent times there's not been much better.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Just to add to the stats I’ve posted on another thread re Stech’s save percentage so far (69%), Logan’s from league games last season was 63%. That would put him 18/24 in this seasons rankings so far. Stech is 11th.

Of course, there’s more to goalkeeping that shot stopping.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

In recent times there's not been much better.

Can we get a list of keepers we've had since being back in league two? The best for me would have to be olejnik under flitcroft as the best since returning.

We had the likes of Scott Shearer, Brian Jensen who would one game be out of this world and then absolutely terrible the next. I also don't think Conrad was as some made out, but there's always a public enemy on here.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Alan Marriott
Liam Mitchell
Lewis Price
Dimitar Evtimov
Adam Smith
Lenny Pidgeley
Sascha Studer
Brian Jensen
Scott Shearer
Jake Kean
Conrad Logan
Bobby Olejnik
Jordan Smith
Aidan Stone
Marek Stech
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Having just watched the goal again on EMT it looks as though the reason he backed out of it was that if he kept coming he would have clattered the Colchester player and given away a penalty.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:Having just watched the goal again on EMT it looks as though the reason he backed out of it was that if he kept coming he would have clattered the Colchester player and given away a penalty.

And Conrad would certainly have kept coming. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:42 pm

Simple fact is it was a garbage decision by Non Stech. The lad's not worth his place atm
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Alan Marriott
Liam Mitchell
Lewis Price
Dimitar Evtimov
Adam Smith
Lenny Pidgeley
Sascha Studer
Brian Jensen
Scott Shearer
Jake Kean
Conrad Logan
Bobby Olejnik
Jordan Smith
Aidan Stone
Marek Stech

So with Marriott clearly the best in that list by a distance further than Hubble can detect, who next?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am

Sneag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:Having just watched the goal again on EMT it looks as though the reason he backed out of it was that if he kept coming he would have clattered the Colchester player and given away a penalty.

And Conrad would certainly have kept coming. :lol:

Conrad would have only got about half way to be fair before the ball is in the net.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum