{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scunthorpe score thread sponsored by let's make it 2

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Scunthorpe score thread sponsored by let's make it 2

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Right, I've had a bit to drink.

The last time we won 2 competitive games was the 9th and the 12th 2019. not 6th and the 9th. :lol:

I accidently skipped a season. The 3 game I quoted were Evan's reign on 2018.

However the actual last time we won 3 on the bounce was January 15th-26th 2019 playing Crawley, Colchester and Tranmere in the league.

Sorry chaps. Infact if someone has a few minutes spare, check again :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Right, I've had a bit to drink.

The last time we won 2 competitive games was the 9th and the 12th 2019. not 6th and the 9th. :lol:

I accidently skipped a season. The 3 game I quoted were Evan's reign on 2018.

However the actual last time we won 3 on the bounce was January 15th-26th 2019 playing Crawley, Colchester and Tranmere in the league.

Sorry chaps. Infact if someone has a few minutes spare, check again :lol:

If you want more spin on it. Unbeaten in 4
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Quite an entertaining game, think the crossbar and post was hit a couple of times by both sides.

Good performance from the stags with several fringe players wanting to impress Clough. Only negative tonight was we allowed them to get back into the game and was holding on at the end with Stone making a good save.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 pm

No interview after match
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 pm

The One wrote:No interview after match

Someone got his thoughts.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Scunthorpe did not just play their reserves and they had a couple of goalscorers in the team and squad. Neil Cox's problem is that Scunthorpe have slashed their playing budget and they have just recruited very young inexperienced players with potential. He has brought in as a coach to try and gel them into a team which is a tough task. The Scunthorpe pundits think that a lot of the players are not ready to be making regular starts in league football. Kevin van Veen at 29 is probably the oldest and most experienced player. The rest are 25 and under. They are in trouble like Southend United who also have lots of young inexperienced players.

Rory Watson - 7 league starts this season
Tyler Cordner - 7
Miles Hippolyte - 6
Ryan Loft - 5(3)
Mason O'Malley 5(1)
Emmanuel Onariase - 3(1)
Alfie Beestin - 1(2) (He previously made 17(17) league starts and scored 2 Goals for Donny Rovers)
Jai Rowe - 1

More Experienced Players
Kevin van Veen (29) - 118(63) league starts and 38 goals
Olufela Olamala (23) - 44(27) league starts and 15 goals
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 pm

Good result, now the real test comes on saturday, got to start getting 3 points on the board, if Lincoln can whallop them for six in the cup, we should be able to manage half of that? ;)
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Scunny and Southend are by a long way the worst teams in the league so far, and probably the two most likely to succumb to financial difficulties too.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Do I keep the thread again???
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Peter Swann, Scunthorpe Chairman, came on the radio after the game and said it was just about survival for Scunthorpe this season. If they survive then it will be one of the most successful seasons the club has ever had. They need to be a league club at the end of the season. He admits mistakes have been made with recruitment. He said the club has moved to a sustainable model at the same time as Covid-19 has kicked in. He said a rescue package was promised back in July and that the money would arrive in a few weeks. They are short by a couple of million. They are waiting for the rescue package to get through the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Paulstag wrote:Do I keep the thread again???

Get on the case
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:01 pm

Good win in the end, although the last ten mins brought unnecessary pressure.

Really like the look of Stone in goal, confident, a bit cheeky, great kicking and he's a big unit, I know its only one game but for me he looked very solid.

Good game for O'keefe on the left.

Sinclair will have given Nigel something to think about, if he can play like that against physical lesgue Two players he's got half a chance of being the surprise element of the season. His general play was good, a couple of his crosses were worldies and he just needs to relax a little when he gets himself into good positions

Caine looked bright when he came on, nice and busy.

Players who wouldn't have helped their cause for a first team place? Menayesse, again 3 times he just totally switched off and went through a spell of 15 mins or so when he he was careless with the ball. I'm sure there's a half decent defender in him if and when he learns to stay switched on.

And Smith was poor, for a big lad who looks to have a decent passing range, he didnt want the ball enough and when he did get it, too often he gabe it away.

I'd suspect overall Nige will be delighted to know his second string has some depth to it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:39 pm

A good win by the Stags who included five players who started away at Newport County (Stone, Meneyese, Sweeney, O'Keeffe and Reid).

Aiden Stone - A confident performance. Made two good catches and two very good saves at the end of the game to win it for us.
James Clarke - Linked up well with Tyrese Sinclair and Jamie Reid down the right hand side.
Corey O'Keeffe - He was Mansfield's stand out player for me. He made some good strong runs forward and won around five free kicks from trying to go forward with the ball.
Ryan Sweeney - Very good first half. Made a great block early on covering behind Menayese after Ryan Loft had got past him. Headed Corey O'Keeffe's free kick against the bar. He then scored the first goal heading in Tyrese Sinclair's cross from the right after the initial corner had been cleared. His header went in off a Scunthorpe defender. Gave away three free kicks in dangerous positions.
Rollin Menayese - Got caught out early on by Ryan Loft but attacks the ball in the air well and won the most headers in the Stags defence and swept up nicely a few times in the 2nd half.
Aaron O'Driscoll - Does not look a natural midfield player but crashed a shot against the bar in the 1st half and made a couple of good passes. Possibly should have blocked Olamala's shot for Scunthorpe's goal.
Jason Law - Reasonable performance. Made two really good forward passes through to Jamie Reid who unfortunately was offside both times. He also put a few good crosses in from the left.
Alistair Smith - Made a couple of decent passes but lost possession of the ball too much and needs to make more of an impact on games. It was good to see him trying to get into the box to head in Andy Cook's cross for the 2nd goal. He could not get on the end of it but may have forced the Scunthorpe defender into heading the ball up in the air which then fell nicely for Jamie Reid to smash in.
Tyrese Sinclair - Had a good game and is one of the best crossers of a ball at the club. It was a great cross he put in for the first goal. He passed the ball well and linked up well with James Clarke and Jamie Reid. Won four free kicks with his forward runs. He should have laid the ball off near the end to set up a 3rd goal but greedily tried to score from a tight angle.
Jamie Reid - Linked up well with James Clarke and Tyrese Sinclair. It was good to see him score his first goal for the Stags.
Andy Cook - He lost control of the ball and possession to much. However he made three or four good defensive headers from set pieces and made a good block. He also put some crosses in and used his strength well to win the ball and put the cross in for the 2nd goal. Nearly scored in injury time when Nathan Caine laid the ball back to him.

Subs
Ollie Clarke - He clearly was not match sharp and lost possession of the ball a few times including in the build up to Olamala's goal.
Nathan Caine - Nice to see another young lad make his debut and he laid the ball back well to Andy Cook at the end whose left foot shot went narrowly wide.
Kellan Gordon
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here we go. Here are the EFL Trophy Rules on selecting teams:

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

7.6 Any EFL Club failing to meet the requirement to play Full Available Strength will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000.

7.11 A maximum of 5 Players registered on a Temporary Loan Transfer can be named in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played in this Competition.

7.12 Players registered on a Temporary Loan Transfer will be eligible to play unless the loaning Club (or club) expressly indicates it does not consent as part of the applicable loan agreement.

7.13 No Player may play for more than one Club in the Competition in any one Season.

So who were our four qualified players tonight?

Cook, Sweeney, Mayo? And who else?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Here we go. Here are the EFL Trophy Rules on selecting teams:

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

7.6 Any EFL Club failing to meet the requirement to play Full Available Strength will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000.

7.11 A maximum of 5 Players registered on a Temporary Loan Transfer can be named in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played in this Competition.

7.12 Players registered on a Temporary Loan Transfer will be eligible to play unless the loaning Club (or club) expressly indicates it does not consent as part of the applicable loan agreement.

7.13 No Player may play for more than one Club in the Competition in any one Season.

So who were our four qualified players tonight?

Cook, Sweeney, Mayo? And who else?

O'Keeffe ? 36 appearances for Macclesfield last season and about 6 for us this season. Also had a loan spell at Solihull Moors with 16 appearances but not sure if they would be counted as they were in National League.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 pm

part time pete wrote:So who were our four qualified players tonight? Cook, Sweeney, Mayo? And who else?

Corey O'Keeffe and Jamie Reid

Corey O'Keeffe is in the top 10 league appearances for the season and they have both played more than 40 first team fixtures.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:54 am

Those rules say first team fixture. So the Solihull games will count because the rules doesn't state any restrictions on the league they must be played in just it must be a first team fixture.

A team can make 6 changes to the starting outfield 10 and immediately fall into the qualifying player rule.

A team really has to go out if its way to get hit with a fine.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:12 am

Anyone got the stats regarding crosses, chances etc..
Would be good to compare them against previous games.
I like the philosophy of Clough regarding this.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:59 am

chip63 wrote:Anyone got the stats regarding crosses, chances etc..

I had the pleasure of standing 10 yards away from him last night and one thing he doesn't like is passing backwards. Whenever someone passed back to Stone he shouted at them to go forward, I like that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Dan wrote:
chip63 wrote:Anyone got the stats regarding crosses, chances etc..

I had the pleasure of standing 10 yards away from him last night and one thing he doesn't like is passing backwards. Whenever someone passed back to Stone he shouted at them to go forward, I like that.

What's he like in the dugouts throughout the game.
Is he always stood up shouting orders or sat down and getting up every now and then.
Cheers.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:54 pm

He stood up for most of the game. A few times he went up into the stand to talk to two people wearing masks, I’m guessing they were his assistant and his brother. Or maybe one of our new posters on here! Regards shouting he didn’t shout much and when he did it was more encouraging than rollicking. For example he would shout “come on jason” if he misplaced a pass or he would say to the defenders “move it forward don’t go back”. It was interesting to watch him and listen to him.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum