{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coops and the staff

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coops and the staff

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:53 am

ST4GS wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:That's the one. I think Forest signed him from Orient. He used to play at centre half with "YNB" Des Walker. He lost his place at centre half to Terry Wilson and Steve Chettle.

Terry Wilson was a really good young player who started off as a midfield player and then Brian Clough moved him back to centre half. He suffered bad knee injuries and had to retire early.
He was the bond haired lad? They had a player called Brian Rice too who was good and Tommy Gaynor who showed promise but never seemed to get a run in the team.
I particularly remember going to a night match v Man Utd at the end of the 1990 season as my girlfriend at the time was a Forest fan. Forest went 4-0 up in no time at all (20 minutes if I remember it correctly). Man Utd didn't even pack out the away end in the corner and most of their fans left before half time. Nigel Clough must have played in that game.

Brian Rice is the manager of Hamilton Academicals.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:That's the one. I think Forest signed him from Orient. He used to play at centre half with "YNB" Des Walker. He lost his place at centre half to Terry Wilson and Steve Chettle.

Terry Wilson was a really good young player who started off as a midfield player and then Brian Clough moved him back to centre half. He suffered bad knee injuries and had to retire early.

Enjoyed reading those posts Tippy, cheers.

You're spot on about Terry Wilson, he would have gone on to be something really special, his composure and reading of the game were immense.

I always remember 3 things about him, one he got his hair highlighted and Brian went mental at him, in fact I think he sent him out on loan and everyone thought that was end of his Forest career. All for having the balls to go blonde :-)

2 Brian used to say the reason he had so much time on the ball was 'cos the centre forwards were too scared to go near him "yer that bloody ugly"

Terry's had no front teeth top or bottom and he wore falsies but took them out when he played. Not a pretty site.

At 19 or 20 playing at Anfield against Liverpool he brought the ball down on his chest in the box under pressure, did a Cruyff turn and then sprayed a pass 40 yards out to the wing. Ronnie Fenton went crazy telling him to stop fannying about in his own area.

Half time I expected Brian to launch him as he marched towards him in the dressing room.

"hey scotsman, weeeeee, that was brilliant Son, keep doing that all day long if you can. But darling, you do know the first time you cost me a goal, I'll cut your bloody balls off :coys:

Broke my heart when he broke down in his comeback match 5 minutes after coming on as sub. Such a shame, great lad.
Last edited by broomo on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:05 pm

ST4GS wrote:

He was the bond haired lad? They had a player called Brian Rice too who was good and Tommy Gaynor who showed promise but never seemed to get a run in the team.
I particularly remember going to a night match v Man Utd at the end of the 1990 season as my girlfriend at the time was a Forest fan. Forest went 4-0 up in no time at all (20 minutes if I remember it correctly). Man Utd didn't even pack out the away end in the corner and most of their fans left before half time. Nigel Clough must have played in that game.

Enjoyed reading that as well ST4GS!

He did play and he scored, in those days Forest regularly beat Man Utd home and away, couldn't understand Webby making the decision to leave Forest to go there when Forest were the better side, winning trophies, challenging right at the top of the table and he was in the England squad.

I was still young and naive and didn't believe he'd leave just for cash.

The understanding between him, Nigel and Psycho was unreal, almost telepathic. I know Forest had good midfielders after Webby but I think if he'd have stayed another year or two Forest would have won the League again they were that good.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Dan wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Oh dear dear dear. Is he still the manager of Hamilton Accies? ,a few hours is a long time in football, especially after the drubbing they got.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Dan wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Oh dear dear dear. Is he still the manager of Hamilton Accies? ,a few hours is a long time in football, especially after the drubbing they got.

I know, wasn’t it brilliant!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Not a mention of coops on east mids today, said it was Cloughs first win in charge.
Does this win count for Clough on future stats regards wins etc...
He's on 100% if it does.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:34 pm

chip63 wrote:Not a mention of coops on east mids today, said it was Cloughs first win in charge.
Does this win count for Clough on future stats regards wins etc...
He's on 100% if it does.

because it was a cup game, it doesn't matter, because manager stats are normally calculated on league games only.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 pm

broomo wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Enjoyed reading that as well ST4GS!

He did play and he scored, in those days Forest regularly beat Man Utd home and away, couldn't understand Webby making the decision to leave Forest to go there when Forest were the better side, winning trophies, challenging right at the top of the table and he was in the England squad.

I was still young and naive and didn't believe he'd leave just for cash.

The understanding between him, Nigel and Psycho was unreal, almost telepathic. I know Forest had good midfielders after Webby but I think if he'd have stayed another year or two Forest would have won the League again they were that good.

Talk about coincidences. Terry Wilson was on BBC Radio Nottingham this week on the Forest podcast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08z34mf?

I also went to that May 1990 game when Forest beat United 4-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOnhzhN4M8
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum