{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Would you welcome a female manager as GC's replacement?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Would you welcome a female manager as GC's replacement?

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:52 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I'd love to see more women coaches in the game. I have had the pleasure of watching a few at work and there is nothing to say that male coaches are better than female coaches.

One thing I have seen is that women tend to be better at the psychological side of things, which would probably be a big benefit to the men's game.

I fear that the credibility issue will be really tough to overcome though. Lots of players and fans would automatically be against a female manager.

It would be brilliant to see women being introduced into the men's professional game in senior coaching positions to start building that credibility and I would take great pride in the Stags being at the forefront of doing something like this.

We have a good track record with BAME managers and we should continue to be brave enough to help improve the diversity of the game.

Me too, mostly in the women's game which I used to referee, but also at youth level. Obviously attitudes will have to change, as you can see from this thread, but I think you are right in that coaching positions within the men's game would be the right place to start. As sunray said, the likes of Emma Hayes probably would not drop from being a top levels women's manager down to coaching a lower league football club, but it would be good to see newly qualified female coaches used more often in the men's game. There are still plenty of knuckle draggers unhappy to see female referee's in the men's game so I think there is a way to go with this one :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Rob wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I'd love to see more women coaches in the game. I have had the pleasure of watching a few at work and there is nothing to say that male coaches are better than female coaches.

One thing I have seen is that women tend to be better at the psychological side of things, which would probably be a big benefit to the men's game.

I fear that the credibility issue will be really tough to overcome though. Lots of players and fans would automatically be against a female manager.

It would be brilliant to see women being introduced into the men's professional game in senior coaching positions to start building that credibility and I would take great pride in the Stags being at the forefront of doing something like this.

We have a good track record with BAME managers and we should continue to be brave enough to help improve the diversity of the game.

Me too, mostly in the women's game which I used to referee, but also at youth level. Obviously attitudes will have to change, as you can see from this thread, but I think you are right in that coaching positions within the men's game would be the right place to start. As sunray said, the likes of Emma Hayes probably would not drop from being a top levels women's manager down to coaching a lower league football club, but it would be good to see newly qualified female coaches used more often in the men's game. There are still plenty of knuckle draggers unhappy to see female referee's in the men's game so I think there is a way to go with this one :lol:

Would the top female referees from the womens premier league be able to cope with refereeing in front of crowds ,
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:59 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Would the top female referees from the womens premier league be able to cope with refereeing in front of crowds ,

Well the top level female refs do referee in front of crowds, often large ones at international level. We already have professional female Assistant Referees in the men's game and a female referee in the Premier League is not too far away. They deserve it, they have worked their way through the levels, follow the same assessment criteria and will be required to pass the same fitness test. There are loads of excellent female refs in the men's amateur game, I've assessed or been Assistant to a few of them.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Rob wrote:

Going from managing a women’s Premier League team to managing a male team in L2 is not a drop in any way.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Not in terms of quality of football etc Belly.

But if you have access to some of the countries best training and medical facilities and occasionally play games at some of Europe's best stadiums then I can understand why someone might see it's a step down from that perspective?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Well the top level female refs do referee in front of crowds, often large ones at international level. We already have professional female Assistant Referees in the men's game and a female referee in the Premier League is not too far away. They deserve it, they have worked their way through the levels, follow the same assessment criteria and will be required to pass the same fitness test. There are loads of excellent female refs in the men's amateur game, I've assessed or been Assistant to a few of them.

Spot on Rob. There was a female referee at the Notts County v Maidenhead United game I was at a couple of weeks ago so it's moved on a lot in recent times.

Sadly I think the attitude towards women (in general) has got to change a lot before it gets to the point whereby they manage in the EFL. You only have to see the disgusting way Sergio Aguero treated the lino the other week (Sian Massey?) when he grabbed her on the neck/shoulder. He would never have done that to a male official. Maybe that's how they treat women in Argentina, either way it was very uncomfortable viewing & would be classed as assault had it not been inside a football stadium.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

Going from managing a women’s Premier League team to managing a male team in L2 is not a drop in any way.

Mansfield town would hammer the england ladies team dispute it if you want but it would happen ,so how can it be a step down ,in status maybe for some ,but in the cold hard light of day mens professional football is light years ahead of the womens game , put it free on bbc or itv ,the viewing figures would hardly register ,
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Just passing thoughts.

There was something on the radio a few weeks back when someone asked...'can you name 5 sports personality's in 10 seconds?'

The response was all 5 were male. And to be fair I would have probably have said the same....another 10 seconds might have included a female .Mmmmm......

Now...I don't think I am immune to criticism especially but when our granddaughter (5 and half now) engaging in a footy school 3 days this week with the rest being lads and she is improving (minus her left foot ;) ) that makes me proud and good luck to her and her parents for encouraging her to 'go her own way'. And why not?

I'm an old f*rt now (!) but all of us have to embrace the fact that females can make change to our predominantly male oriented footy structure

But.....a female manager for us is not 'right'. What stick would she get from fans and imo especially players which is much of the problem?

And as an aside....how many female (if you can ask the question) posters are contributing/viewing this MB? (Martin putting you on the spot I know). Imo it appears to be bullying board at times.

I suspect it'll be time before we get a female manager. Hope our granddaughter can reach her heights in whatever she does....but then again....

End of my 'thought for today'. Be safe.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:20 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Not in terms of quality of football etc Belly.

But if you have access to some of the countries best training and medical facilities and occasionally play games at some of Europe's best stadiums then I can understand why someone might see it's a step down from that perspective?

I also said it was a drop from WSL manager to lower league "coach", which in terms of responsibility it clearly is.

Clearly it's going to be a while before we have female manager in the men's professional game, but one day it will happen.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Rob wrote:

I also said it was a drop from WSL manager to lower league "coach", which in terms of responsibility it clearly is.

Clearly it's going to be a while before we have female manager in the men's professional game, but one day it will happen.

Hope fully never in my lifetime
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:33 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Hope fully never in my lifetime[/quote]

:(

I'll leave it there..........yes...I hope one day a female manager will prove the 'pundits' wrong.

And I hope someones daughter/wife will make the grade
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 pm

We do kind of have a precedent to gauge where a top coach from the women's game would sit in the men's game.

Mark Sampson took over as caretaker at Stevenage after leaving the England lionesses. He hasn't had a full time job due to accusations of racism.

It would be interesting to see Phil Neville manage in the me s game. I would guess that he would see himself higher than L2?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

I'll leave it there..........yes...I hope one day a female manager will prove the 'pundits' wrong.

Why the shock its an inferior product end of
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Bridgford Stag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Why the shock its an inferior product end of

I don't necessarily agree with that (that's an euphonism btw)!

So we can't move forward and improve? (rhetorical)
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:We do kind of have a precedent to gauge where a top coach from the women's game would sit in the men's game.

Mark Sampson took over as caretaker at Stevenage after leaving the England lionesses. He hasn't had a full time job due to accusations of racism.

It would be interesting to see Phil Neville manage in the me s game. I would guess that he would see himself higher than L2?

Not really because you’ve just named two males when we’re talking about female coaches :?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:12 pm

Read my post again Dan.

It is 'kind of' a precedent - i.e not exactly the same

"A top coach from the women's game" - i.e comparing the level as opposed to the gender of the coach.

My point is that if a female coach came from the top of the women's game, we have something to gauge what level she may may enter at.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

Mansfield town would hammer the england ladies team dispute it if you want but it would happen ,so how can it be a step down ,in status maybe for some ,but in the cold hard light of day mens professional football is light years ahead of the womens game , put it free on bbc or itv ,the viewing figures would hardly register ,

I wouldn’t cross the road to watch women’s football!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Yes the womens game is a long way behind the mens game but I am not sure how that will affect a manager. Grahame Coughlan and John Dempster both had extensive experience in playing at this level...Fat lot of good it did them. I would much prefer a female manager who has done well and achieved things in the womens game to someone like Gary Caldwell or Sean Derry who have done nothing as a manager.

Agree... We are not talking about women players here who of course are gunna be behind the standard of men's football at the minute.. .. purely the management/coaching side of things which gender should not affect in theory.
Just needs a owner with a backbone to start the ball rolling.

That will never happen . Women’s football is about the standard of schools football!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:06 pm

Norman and spanish

...as is the norm these days the fact about you both repeatedly 'spouting' your points of view is that some/many will listen to you and believe what you say. Which is unfortunate.

I'll counteract that and say ,again, that females will have a role to play in the future of the mens game and we should also support the womens game and encourage girls to embrace the sport. Should we, as an extension to your argument ban women and girls from attending FM?

You both can continue this banal to'ing and fro'ing but I'm afraid your comments are disrespectful at the very least.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Well said Bridgford Stag. In fact, females already play a major role in the men's game, from Physio to fitness coach, Chief Exec to Owner and of course are now very much a part of officiating the game. As time goes on involvement will increase and the game will be all the better for it.
Last edited by Rob on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:00 pm

My daughter works for the academy Leicester City
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:51 pm

Norman wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Yes the womens game is a long way behind the mens game but I am not sure how that will affect a manager. Grahame Coughlan and John Dempster both had extensive experience in playing at this level...Fat lot of good it did them. I would much prefer a female manager who has done well and achieved things in the womens game to someone like Gary Caldwell or Sean Derry who have done nothing as a manager.

Agree... We are not talking about women players here who of course are gunna be behind the standard of men's football at the minute.. .. purely the management/coaching side of things which gender should not affect in theory.

That will never happen . Women’s football is about the standard of schools football!

You’re about as correct as most of your ignorant comments on this forum.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:10 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Norman wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

You’re about as correct as most of your ignorant comments on this forum.

Sorry but it’s true. Women’s football is rubbish.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53 pm

Norman and Spanish stag.
Take the time to read the title of the thread I started and its contents... We are NOT discussing if women's football is a equal standard to the men's game.. Which clearly it isn't so why are coming out with all the crappy comparisons?
Being a manager or coach is not all to do with the standard/level of your exoerience it's about knowledge of tactics/Reading the game, knowing how to lead & more and more the players are needing physiological support (not just an angry shouty bloke who falls out with everyone ie coughlan).
Dempster, palmer & coughlan all had a decent level of footballing experience but we're equally terrible managers for us... Not everything is as black and white as it seems.
Drag yourselves out of the 60's...its 2020.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:Norman and Spanish stag.
Take the time to read the title of the thread I started and its contents... We are NOT discussing if women's football is a equal standard to the men's game.. Which clearly it isn't so why are coming out with all the crappy comparisons?
Being a manager or coach is not all to do with the standard/level of your exoerience it's about knowledge of tactics/Reading the game, knowing how to lead & more and more the players are needing physiological support (not just an angry shouty bloke who falls out with everyone ie coughlan).
Dempster, palmer & coughlan all had a decent level of footballing experience but we're equally terrible managers for us... Not everything is as black and white as it seems.
Drag yourselves out of the 60's...its 2020.

Of course my comments are relevant , its just the same as saying premier league players are better than lleague two players ,likewise they are managed by better managers and coached by better coaches, all the way through sport the quality improves the higher you go ,not only playing wise but coaching ,and management as well
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum