{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lets get a reallity check

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lets get a reallity check

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:10 pm

No income
Pandemic
possibly not even finishing the season again.... etc etc etc is why I think we will stick with him longer than we should do.

He might improve in that time and be lucky regrading the surrounding circumstances because in a normal season he'd be on his way.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:15 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Let’s just accept relegation then and how much will that cost the Radfords?

More in Euro’s than in pounds. That’s the beauty of voting to ostracise all that mob on mainland Europe.

Think the only ones being ostracised are yourselves :oops:

You won’t be saying that when Merkel gets in a tizzy because the German dream of a European Union lies in tatters and she readies her nation to cross the Maginot Line again.

Well off topic now not interested

I will be the envy of Stagsnet knowing how easy it is to stop you posting!! Hurrah for me everyone.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:No income
Pandemic
possibly not even finishing the season again.... etc etc etc is why I think we will stick with him longer than we should do.

He might improve in that time and be lucky regrading the surrounding circumstances because in a normal season he'd be on his way.

The impression the Radfords gave off when Sharpe was appointed (and also when Sharpe was interviewed) is that they're treating this season as normal money wise. Hence why we didn't hold back signing players in pre season.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm

James wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:No income
Pandemic

The impression the Radfords gave off when Sharpe was appointed (and also when Sharpe was interviewed) is that they're treating this season as normal money wise. Hence why we didn't hold back signing players in pre season.

Think the frustration with this season is rightly or wrongly it could be the case that clubs cut cloth accordingly and those wishing to “go for it” would have more of a chance.

Whereas we’re making a Stirling effort of not being in league 2 next season I don’t suppose this is the direction most hoped for
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:47 pm

ST4GS wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:;) We will see what you have got to say in 6-8 games time ;)
Things are looking bad but it is only 6 games in. Usually when things are going wrong at the Stags we sack managers in November after around 15 to 20 games.
A poor run of six games can be had by almost all teams but it is more noticeable if it occurs at the start of a season.
If this run is replicated for another six games then change will be almost a certainty.
Flitcroft had a difficult start also but rode out the storm and turned it around and during one of our glory seasons (1976-77) we had a run of five league games without a win and actually lost 5 away league games on the spin.
If you are old enough to remember Stagsnet (it might have been it's predecessor though) or Chad.com during this period it was full of posts of "Morris Out!!" from nervous/impatient posters.

Bud, GC hardly got a flicker of form going last season. He's got no idea
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm

I can’t believe folk think the form at the end of last season continuing into this, is acceptable. What if we wait, and it’s too late to salvage the season? Something positive needs to happen quickly, either on or off the field.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I can’t believe folk think the form at the end of last season continuing into this, is acceptable. What if we wait, and it’s too late to salvage the season? Something positive needs to happen quickly, either on or off the field.

He should be afforded another 3-4 games, it’s hardly like we’re 10 adrift, however grim the football is
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 pm

adamstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I can’t believe folk think the form at the end of last season continuing into this, is acceptable. What if we wait, and it’s too late to salvage the season? Something positive needs to happen quickly, either on or off the field.

He should be afforded another 3-4 games, it’s hardly like we’re 10 adrift, however grim the football is

There has been NO progress at all since he arrived, the only thing affording him another 4 games will bring is that we'll be a further 12 points from safety.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:15 pm

scotsstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

There has been NO progress at all since he arrived, the only thing affording him another 4 games will bring is that we'll be a further 12 points from safety.

I have no more faith in him at present as you do, but given what’s been mentioned about the money spent etc it wouldn’t be worth it.

Always say 10 games is a fair barometer of the season and that 4 games will take us there
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:32 pm

adamstag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

I have no more faith in him at present as you do, but given what’s been mentioned about the money spent etc it wouldn’t be worth it.

Always say 10 games is a fair barometer of the season and that 4 games will take us there

So 10 games roughly gives us a barometer of the season ,not a fact thats totally true ,but say we are in a comfortable mid table position by then ,not saying we will be but its possible what do we do
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:35 pm

spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

So 10 games roughly gives us a barometer of the season ,not a fact thats totally true ,but say we are in a comfortable mid table position by then ,not saying we will be but its possible what do we do

Now you're living on Fantasy Island
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm

He should be afforded that luxury. Morecambe have got off to a good start and Cheltenham away will be hard, he’ll have his work cut out.

I could take 2 draws there if there’s signs of improvement, like playing some form of football, playing forwards like Maynard and cook that know what a football is, etc
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm

spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Don't even ponder that situation, it won't happen.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:48 pm

adamstag wrote:He should be afforded that luxury. Morecambe have got off to a good start and Cheltenham away will be hard, he’ll have his work cut out.

I could take 2 draws there if there’s signs of improvement, like playing some form of football, playing forwards like Maynard and cook that know what a football is, etc

We need to start winning games of football. That is what’s paramount.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:53 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:He should be afforded that luxury. Morecambe have got off to a good start and Cheltenham away will be hard, he’ll have his work cut out.

We need to start winning games of football. That is what’s paramount.

Well yeah. That’s the general aim of football matches.

My point is ten games has given him a fair crack, if there’s no improvement investigate sacking him, if we’ve got 6 or more points from those games (not bloody likely) then we move on
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ,who could have predicted stech being a disaster or lapslie being sent off on his debut or menayese and co gifting goals away ,certainly nobody on here did when we signed them ,but hindsight that wonderful gift keeps giving lets see at christmas
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Agree with Spanish.GC did very well at Bristol and I think most fans would have been excited with the appointment.Me for one.We were very poor against Bradford but prior to that we could have won all the games.I liked the look of Lapslie he looks a proper midfielder and would link well with Clark.The players have to man up and give it their all as these are worrying times.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags08 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 pm

See where we are after playing Crawley beginning of Dec, you never no, something might have clicked by then and we’re in mid-table. If we’re still wanting and results haven’t changed then obviously get someone else in whose got a bit of time to assess the situation and use the transfer window wisely.
Everyone has seen and GC agreed Saturday the football currently on offer is atrocious and along with individual errors its costing us, for me he’s got 11 games to sort it.
Stags08
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Stags08 wrote:See where we are after playing Crawley beginning of Dec, you never no, something might have clicked by then and we’re in mid-table. If we’re still wanting and results haven’t changed then obviously get someone else in whose got a bit of time to assess the situation and use the transfer window wisely.
Everyone has seen and GC agreed Saturday the football currently on offer is atrocious and along with individual errors its costing us, for me he’s got 11 games to sort it.

11 games :shock:

I was one saying give him more time, but I don't think he deserves that much. If we lose tomorrow night, I think that'll be the end.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Stags08 wrote:See where we are after playing Crawley beginning of Dec, you never no, something might have clicked by then and we’re in mid-table. If we’re still wanting and results haven’t changed then obviously get someone else in whose got a bit of time to assess the situation and use the transfer window wisely.

11 more games? What if we don’t win in the next 5? Still give him another 6?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:35 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

The whole thread is about the costs involved in changing managers every time we have a poor run its not practical or sustainable
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 pm

geoffhill wrote:Agree with Spanish.GC did very well at Bristol and I think most fans would have been excited with the appointment.Me for one.We were very poor against Bradford but prior to that we could have won all the games.I liked the look of Lapslie he looks a proper midfielder and would link well with Clark.The players have to man up and give it their all as these are worrying times.
And what if he was lucky at Bristol Rovers. Apparently he was working with experienced footballers. Maybe the improvements in results were down to them.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:19 pm

spanishstag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

The whole thread is about the costs involved in changing managers every time we have a poor run its not practical or sustainable

Nobody is saying this is ideal, but I suppose this is the cost of appointing 2 managers with little to no experience and it not working out. It’s been a gamble that hasn’t paid off (so far). The question is how long do you leave it in hope that it will turn around?

If things continue the way they are doing he will inevitably lose his job almost irrespective of what the costs involved in doing so are.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:05 pm

If anything, JR's business should be one of the luckier industries doing better in these times.

Less cars on the road, so less accidents and less payouts... but folk will still be paying their car insurance.
Staff were furloughed by the government for a good while too.

They're hardly cutting back themselves if you endure Carolyn's instagram pouting too it seems.
So I think they can afford to rectify yet another ill-researched, totally stats and convenience based appointment on the face of it.

And as many have pointed out, relegation will be far costlier. The whole academy will have to go and that swanky training ground at Pleasley will seem like a white elephant. That would just be the start of it all too.

We're only headed one way under this manager, and even those advocating he should have more time are starting to see it, because he hasn't offered even a glimmer of hope to show us otherwise.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 am

11 league games is roughly a quarter of a season. To be pedantic half time in the forest Green game (12th game of the season) in November will be a quarter of a season.

Whislt that is a good point to see where we are going. He could win the next 5 games and only be on 18 points. After 9 games. I estimate this to still be bottom half of "mid table" at the 11 game point. That's is acceptable. To get that though he needs to, not on win, but win 5 times in a row.

There comes a point where he's started so poorly that even if he wins a few it's nothing more than a consolation. It's OK saying judge after 10 games and judge those 10 games if he's only won 2 in those 10, for example.

Lose tonight and after 10 games maximum win% he can get is 30% after 10 games. Is it really good enough coupled with performances to date and all things considered?

I can take a low win% while building something or not losing. However 17% total after nearly a year and on course for a 0% after 10 games in his first season with some of his own players is just not acceptable. I could accept it if we even looked like we deserved to win.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum