{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:05 pm

It's a bit of a mystery. Victor's analysis is pretty good, and I don't know how come an experienced manager doesn't seem to appreciate these problems.

Maynard and Cook sums it up. They are so obviously the front pairing, but Coughlan seems determined to keep them from forming a partnership. We don't have any replacement for Hamilton, so nobody attacking the defence with pace.

And it's a good point that the trapdoor could be opened early without warning, so we can't afford any time at all standing on it. It's risking the existence of the club.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:31 pm

What are the rules about relegation/promotion regards a possible close to the season.
Surely they couldn't do it if less than half of games played.
Are we legally allowed to demote the manager to the youth team and promote the youth team manager?
I'm only thinking of saving money.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:49 pm

chip63 wrote:What are the rules about relegation/promotion regards a possible close to the season.
Surely they couldn't do it if less than half of games played.
Are we legally allowed to demote the manager to the youth team and promote the youth team manager?
I'm only thinking of saving money.

I don’t think these have been settled or at least not made public. I read some articles that suggested that the Premier League were talking about either 2/3 or 3/4 or else the season is void.

It’s a bit odd that with everything going on this hasn’t been decided in advance. Or perhaps there is something but I can’t see it.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 pm

If we go down this season, which we will if we keep Coggers and his cloggers, will JR still be regarded in hero status?

If JR wants to keep his good record untarnished, he better fix up, sack this loser, and get the next appointment spot on.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:If we go down this season, which we will if we keep Coggers and his cloggers, will JR still be regarded in hero status?

If JR wants to keep his good record untarnished, he better fix up, sack this loser, and get the next appointment spot on.

They aren't even cloggers, they get nowhere near the opposition to do that
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:15 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:If we go down this season, which we will if we keep Coggers and his cloggers, will JR still be regarded in hero status?

JR’s vision of championship football is looking more like non league football at the moment, get Paul Cook in sharpish
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 pm

That the same JR keeping the club afloat during a pandemic in which we must be losing thousands a month?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Billy the fish wrote:

JR’s vision of championship football is looking more like non league football at the moment, get Paul Cook in sharpish

Are you gonna pay up Gcs contract and cooks wages ,thought not ,end of discussion
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm

And my 2ps worth...

Imo...Coughlan is losing it.

Never liked a manager berating a teams and individuals performance so publicly as he has done so far. Keep it behind closed doors is my mantra.

I understand players make mistakes eg Stech yesterday as an example.

But to go on and harp about us conceding that first goal in his pm interview was wrong in my book. Yes...1-0 down but get on with it surely? Bowery had missed a good (!) chance. 2-0 down and that is hard to overcome.

The manager doesn't look comfortable at all in his interviews with his yesterdays comment that the 'buck is with him' (paraphrasing). Yes it does..but don't villify players in the first instance ( its a team game isn't it?) and then go on to say the 'buck is with him'.
Not convinced about his motivational skills. Comes over as very nervy and maybe that rubs off on the players?

9 games without a win. That does not bode well unless we get a very quick run of good results.

Imo.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby young vanish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Biggest worry from the post match interview was all blah, blah, my responsibility, etc., but not even a hint as to a solution. No action plan, no ideas, no strategies.

No nothin'
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 am

Be interesting if Stevo interviews Sharpe today for his views, he does seem very much back office atm
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:14 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Be interesting if Stevo interviews Sharpe today for his views, he does seem very much back office atm

Which is a good thing and is what happens in most clubs
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby brum » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 am

Bridgford Stag wrote:
The manager doesn't look comfortable at all in his interviews with his yesterdays comment that the 'buck is with him' (paraphrasing). Yes it does..but don't villify players in the first instance ( its a team game isn't it?) and then go on to say the 'buck is with him'.
Not convinced about his motivational skills. Comes over as very nervy and maybe that rubs off on the players?

Agreed and that final interview he gave before leaving Bristol Rovers stuck with me. They had just beaten Ipswich away and then he just bumbled on about going home to talk to his family and some big decisions. Either say nothing or at least have a prepared statement that says something. Instead his head and eyes were wandering around Stevie Wonder style
brum
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ROKERITE » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 am

Billy the fish wrote:

It is highly unlikely Paul Cook would consider a job in League Two now and if he did Salford City would be a much more attractive proposition than Mansfield Town. He left Pompey for Wigan which suggests geography plays a big part in his choice of jobs.
ROKERITE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm

I liked how GC accepted full responsibility for the situation. Not many managers do that. They will blame the previous manager, players, referees, bad luck, weather, illness, pandemic, playing budgets etc.

The buck stops with GC. Let's hope he can get a win against Morecambe. Probably needs a win in next two games to keep his job and definitely a win against Barrow. The pressure is on. I hope he can deliver. Let's even go ugly and direct if necessary but just grind out a win.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I liked how GC accepted full responsibility for the situation. Not many managers do that. They will blame the previous manager, players, referees, bad luck, weather, illness, pandemic, playing budgets etc.

The buck stops with GC. Let's hope he can get a win against Morecambe. Probably needs a win in next two games to keep his job and definitely a win against Barrow. The pressure is on. I hope he can deliver. Let's even go ugly and direct if necessary but just grind out a win.

I think that was refreshing and nice to see as you say, and he’s got credit for blaming himself rather than Elvis, a UFO etc as previous managers have done.

However, that’ll only buy him a few more weeks of performances carry on as they are
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I liked how GC accepted full responsibility for the situation. Not many managers do that. They will blame the previous manager, players, referees, bad luck, weather, illness, pandemic, playing budgets etc.

To be fair, he’d nowhere else to hide. He had previously cited bad luck, individual errors, being ‘3 or 4 short’ of players, and the cup game interrupting pre season as reasons for a slow start. He spent most of last season moaning about fitness and can’t go down that road again, nor can he say it’s not his squad. But you’re right in ultimately the buck does stop with him.

I personally think he needs to win tomorrow or he’ll be on his way. Pressures on!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Agree defeat tomorrow must mean goodnight Vienna
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:48 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree defeat tomorrow must mean goodnight Vienna

Have a safe flight back :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm

I didn't take it as taking full responsibility. He stood by Stech, which was good to see, but he keeps saying that the players need to take on board his instructions. That's not taking responsibility, that's blaming the players.

If the information is not getting through to players who have previously played well elsewhere, then the problem is in the leadership of the team. I don't think he has the correct leadership skills to get the best from the players
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:

I didn't take it as taking full responsibility. He stood by Stech, which was good to see, but he keeps saying that the players need to take on board his instructions. That's not taking responsibility, that's blaming the players.

If the information is not getting through to players who have previously played well elsewhere, then the problem is in the leadership of the team. I don't think he has the correct leadership skills to get the best from the players

There is no tactical instruction he can give to players which will prevent them from making individual errors the likes of Stech has made so far.

He could drop Stech, but then you’ve got defenders who conceded 5 goals in 2 games with Stone in the net. So he’s right to say that the players need to take some responsibility too.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:57 pm

I agree on that point Musings. The tactical element is only a quarter of the coaches job (and even less of a managers job)

Players should take responsibility for personal mistakes, like the Stech one. They shouldn't be blamed for not understanding the instructions though.

Any coach worth their salt will talk about the importance of the psychological and social sides of the game. Additionally any organisation thrives when it has solid transformational leadership in place.

The players are people and not just players. You can't just tell them what to do and expect them to do it, especially in a game which relies upon lots of dynamic decision making. The same can be said in any workplace.

The players need to feel protected. I wonder if the changing room is a psychologically informed environment? Judging by the way he treat Pearce last year and Cook this year I would guess not. Constantly blaming the players for not taking on his instructions is another sign that it isn't.

I know this side of the game isn't for everyone, but it's something I'm really interested in
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree on that point Musings. The tactical element is only a quarter of the coaches job (and even less of a managers job)

Players should take responsibility for personal mistakes, like the Stech one. They shouldn't be blamed for not understanding the instructions though.

Any coach worth their salt will talk about the importance of the psychological and social sides of the game. Additionally any organisation thrives when it has solid transformational leadership in place.

The players are people and not just players. You can't just tell them what to do and expect them to do it, especially in a game which relies upon lots of dynamic decision making. The same can be said in any workplace.

The players need to feel protected. I wonder if the changing room is a psychologically informed environment? Judging by the way he treat Pearce last year and Cook this year I would guess not. Constantly blaming the players for not taking on his instructions is another sign that it isn't.

I know this side of the game isn't for everyone, but it's something I'm really interested in

I know what you’re saying. To be fair, he’s very honest, any maybe that is his downfall. Take last week when he said that even he was thinking we might end up conceding a late goal against Stevenage to continue the pattern.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:11 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree on that point Musings. The tactical element is only a quarter of the coaches job (and even less of a managers job)

Spot on kevin.

GC has his team now and needs to get them performing as a unit. A win would do nicely sooner rather than (ahem) later.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:34 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Are you gonna pay up Gcs contract and cooks wages ,thought not ,end of discussion

It’s going to cost JR a lot lot more if this clown of a manager takes us down to non league again and right now that’s exactly where we are heading .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum