{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Get Flicker in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Get Flicker in

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:56 pm

yorkstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:I wonder how different things would be if flitcroft and his players didn’t do the biggest choke of all time the other season.

When you’ve odds of 1/25 to go up and miss out is some effort.

Adam - go away mate. If we’d stuck with Flitcroft we wouldn’t be here now. Look at Wycombe

Lol, I’m not going anywhere pal.

It happened the first season, it happened the 2nd season.

The choke at the end of that half when flitcroft was worked out by Swindon over Christmas was ridiculous. He had half a season to formulate a plan B and couldn’t.

The decision to bin him off was correct, the decision on who came in afterwards was wrong

Go away mate
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:00 pm

We’ll agree to differ. Sometimes continuity is needed.

We’ll talk on our next away day , whenever that is - I’ll buy you a beer. Hope your well -)
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Shouldn't have been sacked.

However, would be a mistake to bring him back.

That ship has sailed.

I agree, it was a stupid decision to sack him and I am sure privately those who screamed for his head are regretting it now, not that they'll admit it. None of our previous manager's should come back.

I wasn't one who "screamed for his head" but I'm glad he was sacked. For me this post sums it up perfectly

Stags 2002 wrote:Sacking Flitcroft was not the wrong decision, this dreadful form started whilst he was in charge.

Feb 9th 2019 Newport away since then the form has been a disaster for all concerned with this football club.

What about Keith Hill or Paul Hurst?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:04 pm

lifestags wrote:Approach him, put any differences aside, at least his side was entertaining. This guy has not got a clue.

His side has been dismantled ...
Flitcroft would be as bad as GC
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Hurst has been an absolute disaster in his last 2 jobs
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pm

It was a big mistake.. to bin him... it was the players who bottled it .. and an even bigger mistake to put Dempster
In his place.. but we move on and look we’re we are now ... another mistake...
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 pm

yorkstag wrote:We’ll agree to differ. Sometimes continuity is needed.

We’ll talk on our next away day , whenever that is - I’ll buy you a beer. Hope your well -)

Absolutely, a games about differing options, and no-one is always right (normally me)

We all care for the club which is why we all have the debate we do
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 pm

At the time the fan base was split on keeping him. It seems pretty much everyone now agrees this isn't working.

For a period of about 5 months we looked a good team under DF, before and after that period we were awful. With hindsight we should of given him another season but at the time, after such a failure (again), wanting a change was fair enough.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Jamie wrote:At the time the fan base was split on keeping him. It seems pretty much everyone now agrees this isn't working.

For a period of about 5 months we looked a good team under DF, before and after that period we were awful. With hindsight we should of given him another season but at the time, after such a failure (again), wanting a change was fair enough.

That’s pretty spot on.

It works with what I said about his failure to work out a plan b
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Sacking Flitcroft was not the wrong decision, this dreadful form started whilst he was in charge.

Feb 9th 2019 Newport away since then the form has been a disaster for all concerned with this football club.

That's just not true, after the Newport game we beat FGR, Cambridge, thrashed Exeter 4-1 away and put 4 past Cheltenham and Morecambe. Yes we had some tough games and lost the automatic spot on the final day, but our downfall definitely began with his sacking and subsequent dismantling of his squad.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Rob wrote:

That's just not true, after the Newport game we beat FGR, Cambridge, thrashed Exeter 4-1 away and put 4 past Cheltenham and Morecambe. Yes we had some tough games and lost the automatic spot on the final day, but our downfall definitely began with his sacking and subsequent dismantling of his squad.

Deluded with a short memory to boot. Didn’t you go to Mardy Lane?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Don’t think sacking Flitcroft was necessarily a rash or bad decision. Look at Forest who stuck by their manager, there’s no way of telling how it would have gone.

I think the rash decision was giving Dempster the job straight away without considering any other candidates. The same when Dempster was sacked, within days Coughlan had been appointed and clearly lined up.

Now we find ourself in a position where I don’t think the top managers would jump at coming here. A lot would have looked how Flitcroft was backed and thought they could have finished the job but since then we’ve gone back to square one and we’re in need of a complete rebuild.

My opinion is we should look at appointing an up and coming manager with new ideas and positivity. I think most would be more inclined to be patient if we are positive and attack games and could help get a buzz back around the club.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:29 pm

It was the wrong decision. We were improving. 8th - 4th is an improvement no matter how you look at it. Funny how you mention Newport away. The very game we lost Danny Rose, our only player capable in the air up front left, in. Had to go 2 months then with Walker, Hamilton and Ajose up front.

This is old ground now. On which metric are you using to say a manager who got us football league play offs for the 1st time in 16 years (with hightest positional finish 18 years) after just 2 transfer windows?

Just because you agreed with the decision at the time, surely you can see it was not the right call.

You can cry over his "failure" to get something we have no god given right to have in the first place. Very Luton-esqe.

Like I've said before. I'd rather have something to lose coming into the final game(s) of the season rather than dead and buried by October.

We need fresh impetus. Whoever comes in will need time. Something we wouldn't give to an ex manager.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Rob wrote:

Factually that is difficult to argue with
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Deluded with a short memory to boot. Didn’t you go to Mardy Lane?

You want Murray back, now that's deluded. I have an excellent memory and remember the pasting we gave Exeter. I suppose you don't remember that do you? No, we're far better off now in 23rd place.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

....and if the away goals ruling had counted in the UK, the Stags had played the playoff final instead of Newport. England is, as far as I know, the ONLY country not using the away goals ruling in two-legged games. We also lost out on the non-usage of the away goals ruling against York in 2012 (in the first leg, Matt Green was wrongly sent off) and against Chesterfield in 1995. Yet we benefitted in 2004 when Northampton scored three goals against us in Mansfield, won 3-1, while we then won 2-0 at Northampton.

And another person highly responsible to the current rot is the ref who reffed us in the first leg of the playoffs at Newport when he wrongly awarded a penalty against Conrad Logan in the final minutes of that game, which I in fact did watch. That ref, whom we haven't had since then, officiated the League One game between Bristol Rovers and Burton today, instead of IMO been demoted to the Conf with immediate effect.

In my years of previewing and posting on here, I know about one ref being demoted to the Conf and then returning to the EFL. His name is Darren Drysdale, whom we haven't had since the home game against Stevenage in April 2019. While in the Conf, Drysdale reffed us twice. Against Stevenage in September 2009 and at Kettering in March 2010. Over the years, Drysdale has blown hot and very cold in Stags games. Enough printed.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:34 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Where were mansfield on feb 9th and how many points clear where they?

Where were they at the end of the season when it mattered?

Again, had flitcroft and his side not choked on such a spectacular manner maybe we wouldn’t be here, ultimately him choking cost us an obvious promotion and couldn’t be trusted.

He had half a season to formulate a plan B and couldn’t do so
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Simple GET DAVID FLITCROFT IN EAT HUMBLE PIE
This club has gone backwards five years since his wrongful dismissal and righting this is the only way forward out of this mess
Come on JR admit you were wrong (with the greatest respect)
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Never go back. I highly doubt he would anyway, even if we wanted him. Still, he’s managed more threads about him since he left than when he was here :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Clough or Clarke, gotta be.

We won't get Flitcroft because it would mean JR having to publicly accept he was wrong and probably having to choose between Flitcroft and Hymas.

It was common knowledge Hymas and Flitcroft didn't get on and Hymas had agendas against Flitcroft.

I think Hymas is a terrible ambassador for the club and can't see what he brings to the table but, but JR will never put himself in a position where he has to choose between the two.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 pm

adamstag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Again, had flitcroft and his side not choked on such a spectacular manner maybe we wouldn’t be here, ultimately him choking cost us an obvious promotion and couldn’t be trusted.

This manager hasn't even got a plan A
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 pm

I think Hymas and his whole band of MSE thugs are bad ambassadors for the club.

That's said, he put his money where his mouth is and if he hadn't there might not be a club. Therefore it doesn't matter what I think of him, he absolutely deserves his say.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Simple GET DAVID FLITCROFT IN EAT HUMBLE PIE
This club has gone backwards five years since his wrongful dismissal and righting this is the only way forward out of this mess
Come on JR admit you were wrong (with the greatest respect)

In early February 2019, we were eight points above MK. And the teams which beat us that month, Newport and Notts County, lost their home fixtures against MK. IMO, the dismissal of Flitcroft wasn't wrongful IMO as he blew it TWICE. More responsible for this mess are the EFL and those who appointed the ref for the away leg of the playoff semifinal at Newport. The antics of that official put us back.

And it's very easy to understand why DF is out of management by the time of writing.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:08 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

This manager hasn't even got a plan A

Not stating otherwise. Just go round in circles
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 pm

4 games left for GC
tillydog123
Manager
Manager