{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

GC gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: GC out

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:31 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Turn draws into wins and were ok, there's something to build on then..

Must win the next two otherwise when will it ever change?

Cheltenham didn't look that much better than us, again its a poor standard in this league and if we can take some chances we will be comfortable.

It’s if’s and buts Sedgwick, you could go on all year with that mindset. The facts are we’ve invested more than enough to be expecting more than being ‘comfortable’ if we improve, and we’ve had the worst start to a league campaign in the clubs entire history - he’s assembled his own squad as well and still can’t muster up a win.

Anyway, he will get Tuesday now I suspect as you say. It’s a must win, but I fear that after a steady performance and a point we’ll be saying the same about Walsall as well.

I agree, we should be expecting more than being comfortable... but we finished 21st last year, there's not been huge investment and people still think we should be top 3??

This year we need to do better than last, mid table around top 7 should be the aim... but we need a proper experienced manager in who can start to build something. This team could be useful, but never under this manager.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 pm

I don't know how a new manager would work in a pandemic.
Moving home if he's not local, children maybe to different schools.
It's not like you can go home at the weekend, maybe he could do it all on zoom.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Turn draws into wins and were ok, there's something to build on then..

Cheltenham didn't look that much better than us, again its a poor standard in this league and if we can take some chances we will be comfortable.

It’s if’s and buts Sedgwick, you could go on all year with that mindset. The facts are we’ve invested more than enough to be expecting more than being ‘comfortable’ if we improve, and we’ve had the worst start to a league campaign in the clubs entire history - he’s assembled his own squad as well and still can’t muster up a win.

Anyway, he will get Tuesday now I suspect as you say. It’s a must win, but I fear that after a steady performance and a point we’ll be saying the same about Walsall as well.

I agree, we should be expecting more than being comfortable... but we finished 21st last year, there's not been huge investment and people still think we should be top 3??

This year we need to do better than last, mid table around top 7 should be the aim... but we need a proper experienced manager in who can start to build something. This team could be useful, but never under this manager.

It’s all ifs and buts.

For me you should be looking for a continuous direction and improvement under a manager.

Currently he and his side aren’t demonstrating either.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:35 pm

There's only 5 teams out of football league 72 that are yet to win this season. Obviously we're one of them, and we're playing one of the others next.
Last edited by HitchcocksShins on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:There's only 5 teams out of football league 72 that are yet to win this season.

Even Werder Beermen have a few wins since football resumed
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Fect of the matter is 10 games is a good measure. Win his next 2 then he's on 11 points. That's still less than any team in the top half currently.

Best GC can do now is win 20% of his first 10 games. Is that really good enough?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:40 pm

We have been undefeated in two away games. That should be enough to give GC a crack at beating Barrow at home on Tuesday night.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 pm

adamstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It’s all ifs and buts.

For me you should be looking for a continuous direction and improvement under a manager.

But you wanted Flitcroft out when clearly the club was moving in the right direction. Make you're mind up Adam. One or the other?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 pm

adamstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It’s all ifs and buts.

You mean like 8th to 4th :lol:

I thought we'd be mid table and had low expectations, I do expect us to improve from 21st and it has been a poor start but sacking him now is not the answer. You do that, you start all over again, new manager, another squad change in January which may or may not work and another whole load of threads about how refreshing the new manager is before soon afterwards slagging off every word he says.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It’s all ifs and buts.

You mean like 8th to 4th :lol:

I thought we'd be mid table and had low expectations, I do expect us to improve from 21st and it has been a poor start but sacking him now is not the answer. You do that, you start all over again, new manager, another squad change in January which may or may not work and another whole load of threads about how refreshing the new manager is before soon afterwards slagging off every word he says.

I’ve given my backing to the manager and again on Tuesday said we should see where we are after 10 games, the next 2 home games give us a great chance to get the win and hopefully build.

Have we gone in the direction either I, you or anyone else would have hoped so far this season - no.

He’s got to be realistically looking for at least - at the bare minimum - 3 points from the next 2.

Nobody gets anywhere by a constant cycle of sacking, there’s glaring issues that the manager has though - his clear aversion to Maynard and playing 2 upfront is the main crux for me - not playing maynard and playing someone like bowery - who sadly is more akin to a donkey than a footballer baffles fans who’re trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Individual errors under his stewardship haven’t aided his cause.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Has anyone asked him why he won't play Maynard with Cook?
Is Maynard unfit or don't cook/Maynard get on.
Surely with both players on the pitch you get two different styles of play to score.
It's his decision I suppose and his job on the line not mine, just wish he would explain.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:04 pm

chip63 wrote:Has anyone asked him why he won't play Maynard with Cook?
Is Maynard unfit or don't cook/Maynard get on.
Surely with both players on the pitch you get two different styles of play to score.
It's his decision I suppose and his job on the line not mine, just wish he would explain.

He must start with them together Tuesday.

Together they’re one of the better partnerships in league 2, but yet he insists on starting with only 1, or playing the other with the cone.

How a manager can try to justify leaving out maynard and playing bowery is one of the main reasons fans don’t trust him. It’s obvious to all that football to bowery is like wins are to San Marino, yet he persists. Issues like that is what has eroded trust.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Could be worse. You could be a VVV Venlo fan.

They got gubbed 13-0 at home today by Ajax.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:09 pm

How many times have Maynard & Cook started together since they both signed under Dempster? 3 or 4?

It’s ridiculous really, considering when they both signed they were both seen as big signings for the club in that particular summer. We paid a fee for Cook and Maynard had scored 20+ year previous and we’ve never let them build a proper partnership.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:10 pm

BH_Stag wrote:How many times have Maynard & Cook started together since they both signed under Dempster? 3 or 4?

It’s ridiculous really, considering when they both signed they were both seen as big signings for the club in that particular summer. We paid a fee for Cook and Maynard had scored 20+ year previous and we’ve never let them build a proper partnership.

What’s even more confusing is to the average fan they compliment each other, one to win the headers the other fast and slight.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Fect of the matter is 10 games is a good measure. Win his next 2 then he's on 11 points. That's still less than any team in the top half currently.

Best GC can do now is win 20% of his first 10 games. Is that really good enough?

Gaz percentages really can get a bit tedious :oops:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 pm

spanishstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Fect of the matter is 10 games is a good measure. Win his next 2 then he's on 11 points. That's still less than any team in the top half currently.

GC stuntman ;) :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:24 pm

BH_Stag wrote:How many times have Maynard & Cook started together since they both signed under Dempster? 3 or 4?

Maybe they don’t get along?

9 is the answer, all in a row, all under Dempster.

P9 W2 D2 L5 GF7 GA13

2 for Maynard, 2 for Cook.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm

adamstag wrote:

What’s even more confusing is to the average fan they compliment each other, one to win the headers the other fast and slight.

Purely looking at today's game, we were playing away to a team on form and I think he had decided that the game would be won or lost in midfield and wanted the extra body in there. If you are going to play a single striker, then Cook is the only real option we have. Cook was used to bully and tire the defenders, before bringing on Maynard and Reid to run at them.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:46 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

GC stuntman ;) :lol:

Hanging on like a stuntman in titanic :o
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Could be worse. You could be a VVV Venlo fan.

They got gubbed 13-0 at home today by Ajax.

Think jeff stelling managed to mention it :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham hated each other yet were lethal together on the pitch. It shouldn’t make a difference what you think of your team mates you’re there to do a job for your team.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Hope it’s not football karma on us for relegating Rovers out the football league :(
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:19 pm

That second half was screaming for Maynard way earlier him alone coming on gave us time with the ball in their half because of how good he is on it.

We are blessed with two strikers that most teams in this league would take, Play them for Christ sake.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Why can't jamie leave the dugout, devoid of any passion and desire this team. only going one way with GC in charge, that's relegation. Its a decent side, that needs a passionate manager, passionate fans and we will be challenging. oh when we are allowed back! thats the worry we are relying on our current manager to do the business
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum