{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

'Project Big Picture' - football’s biggest shake-up ...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 'Project Big Picture' - football’s biggest shake-up ...

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 am

At least someone at this level is saying what we all think.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:53 pm

He’s very good for us.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Voted against proposals.
50 million agreed for league 1 and 2.
It sounds like the future of football will not rely on tv money.
The likes of man Utd streaming games all over the world on mutv could male 100s of millions each game.
A long way to go yet.
chip63
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 pm

chip63 wrote:Voted against proposals.
The likes of man Utd streaming games all over the world on mutv could male 100s of millions each game.
A long way to go yet.

Yes but when they start streaming games ,they will not be giving it away ,certainly not to the efl ,thats the crux of this deal
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:56 pm

Of the £50 million mooted to be paid out and the £ 27.2 million (or something along that figure) how much is it in the form of loans, against future tv money and when is it to be paid back?

If a side from league 1 gets promoted to the Championship then relegated back again the following season with the increase in revenue they could pay back their loans and be in a better position to be promoted again. A sort of bankers draft parachute payment.

Also when a league 2 side is relegated, hopefully not us (are you listening Graham), is there a loan payment holiday until they are back in the league. Or does a team have the double whammy of decreased revenue and loan payments to still make?
Last edited by I am Spartacus on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:57 pm

One for the future this, in the event of Alan ever announcing score again at half time could we all boo should Manchester United and Liverpool be winning and cheer when they aren’t?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:01 pm

David Sharpe has just been on BBC news talking about this topic.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:24 pm

spanishstag wrote:
chip63 wrote:Voted against proposals.
A long way to go yet.

Yes but when they start streaming games ,they will not be giving it away ,certainly not to the efl ,thats the crux of this deal

A massive problem for any club in prem league not in the big 6.
It would be impossible to compete against them if tv/streaming money is not devided equally.
2 years left on the TVs contract I think.
The quote of 100's of millions from each game was for only £5.00 per game across the world.

It's the future I'm afraid to say, they thought sky would ruin the game but it it improved it.
chip63
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm

As predicted, the Premier League are just that and don't give two hoots for anyone else.

I see the Premier league have now offered £50m to L1 & L2 clubs, have no other details.

Put into context, it's years wage of a top class striker.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Now is your chance to have you say, cancel your Sky subscription and start to cut them off at their knees.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm

...and miss out on the NFL? No thanks.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Go Saints!!!
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Go Saints!!!

Geaux Saints... & the London Jags.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HU7stag » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:45 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:

flipping arseholes
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Gary Neville heads Manifesto for Change with calls for independent regulation in English football

Gary Neville says football has proven incapable of governing itself and distributing money fairly and has joined forces with a group to call for independent regulation of the game. The group, which includes former FA chairman David Bernstein, ex-FA executive director David Davies and Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham, have signed a 'Manifesto for Change', which claims the "dysfunctional and damaging existing structure" of football has highlighted the English game's inability to act as a unified voice during the coronavirus crisis.It puts the blame down to the financial power of the Premier League and the lack of credibility and ineffectiveness of the FA as a governing body.

The manifesto determines the "national game operates within a model that is fundamentally flawed", proven they say by the demise of Bury last year and Wigan entering administration in July.

Saving the Beautiful Game - Manifesto for Change' key recommendations
Create a new regulatory body for football that is independent of the current structure of the game
Decide on new ways of distributing funds to the wider game based on a funding formula and a fair levy payable by the Premier League
Set up a new and comprehensive licencing system for the professional game
Review causes of financial stress in the English Football League, including parachute payments and salary caps
Implement governance reforms at the FA which are essential to ensure it is truly independent, diverse and representative of English football today
Liaise with supporters' organisations
Learn lessons from abroad and champion supporter involvement in the running of clubs

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Neville said: "The principle is that we don't trust that football can govern itself and create the fairest deal for all, whether that's the Premier League, EFL clubs, non-League clubs or the fans. It has been proven over this past six months that football has struggled to bring everyone together and proven to be incapable over a 25-30 year period of transforming the money in the game into something that works for everybody. I want the best Premier League in the world, but I want sustainable football clubs. There is enough money in the game to be able to have an elite Premier League, a sustainable and competitive EFL, money passed down to non-League and grassroots and where fans can get a fair deal. That's where an independent regulator, with that spirit at the heart of it, can come in and say 'that's not fair'.

Neville has criticised the time it took for the money to arrive, adding he would be "embarrassed" to be a member of the Premier League."I don't want to take all the money off the Premier League," Neville said. "I want the best players and the best managers but they've spent £1.2 billion in a pandemic and it took six months for them to pass £50m down to the EFL."I would be embarrassed to be part of the Premier League as a member if it had taken me six months to sort out a rescue package for the EFL that need it when they're spending that level of money on transfers. It's not good enough."

In response to the manifesto, an FA spokesperson said: "The Football Association plays a vital role in governing and regulating English football and our league structure and ecosystem is the envy of the world. We work hard to maintain this system, with a clear focus on the wider game; not just serving the elite level, but the whole football pyramid and throughout the grassroots game.As English football's governing body, it is our responsibility to work together to determine what is best for our game as a whole, with full dialogue between all key stakeholders. As we have said this week, any changes have to be done in the right way and with a long-term perspective in mind. We are not interested in any changes that are designed to serve one area of the game, nor will we entertain ideas that are primarily in the interests of the few.

"If the Government would want to amend and increase our responsibilities and powers to further improve the system, then would be happy to discuss that with them, and of course we would consult with the leagues in the process. But most importantly, any changes must benefit clubs, fans and players across the English game.The FA has a clear direction and ambitious targets to ensure English football continues to be a force for good across every level of the game."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... h-football
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm

More Gary Neville
"There were aspects of the plans, such as the Premier League one-club, one-vote system being overhauled in favour of United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham assuming power over English professional football, which Neville does not like the look of. “I believe just quite simply that there is enough wealth in the game to create a good deal first and foremost for fans, for the National League, for the EFL, for the Premier League, for the FA and grassroots. Simple as that,” he added.

“There are large parts of that proposal which I actually support. However, I don't want the Glazer family, John W Henry or Roman Abramovic or Daniel Levy running football in this country. I don't want the Community Shield to go. I don’t want the League Cup to be given away to create when there is no need for it to be given away to create. We can innovate around the existence of it. I don’t like the idea of a short-term rescue package being offered on the basis that you sign up to the bigger deal.

“However, there is great merit in some of the proposals. Seventy-two League clubs would almost become instantly sustainable if Big Picture went through, however I suspect because it's been rejected yesterday that we will now enter into a world of chaos for the next six-to-12 months and football will have a go at trying to reform itself, but would yet again fail. That is why I was keen to join the group that David put together eight months ago, credible people from all different backgrounds, different sorts of sectors, industries, politics, but all who actually recognise that there is a deal here to do and the only way to actually achieve that is through someone independent being there to facilitate it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 52124.html
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:16 pm

It's all talk talk talk.
It's going to be too late very soon.
If crowds come back after March. Only the top half of the tables would get enough crowds.
chip63
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm

chip63 wrote:It's all talk talk talk.
It's going to be too late very soon.
If crowds come back after March. Only the top half of the tables would get enough crowds.

Still think your idea of a 5% cut from all premier league transfers has a lot of merit.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am

The clandestine behaviour of the American owners drawing up plans to seize control of the English game is poor form.

For them to then vote against their own proposals smacks of guilt.

Rick 'friend of Liverpool' has to go for this. Clearly in cahoots.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter, but I doubt it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum