{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

'Project Big Picture' - football’s biggest shake-up ...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 'Project Big Picture' - football’s biggest shake-up ...

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am

Andy Holt - Accrington Stanley

"There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, we should not be trying to solve the EFL's financial problems caused by the Premier League with more control for the top 6 in the premier league. Rick Parry should have been bursting his balls encouraging the government to enforce the 'football should sort it’s own problems out, there’s enough cash in the game’ stance. Instead he’s horse traded time away. And I’m not saying he shouldn’t be discussing any opportunities or threats. I am saying he should not be confusing or interfering with the bailout.

When I’m out of football and for decades after, clubs will be saying exactly what they say now about past sell outs to the Premier League. 'We sold our soul because we needed the money’

It’s true, we need the money. But when are we going to stop suckling off nothing more than an international billionaires private (very private) members club? Why the raspberry do we even have the power to sell a slice of the EFL to American Venture Capitalists? ITS OUR NATIONAL GAME. It belongs to us all. That’s my opinion and I don’t care who says what.

If it was my decision alone the EFL would be rapidly canvassing government to REIGN IN the power of this international elite, not EXPANDING it at a time of extreme duress. I fear we are making another massive mistake, on the back off past serious errors that have brought our pyramid to its knees.

The Premier League have been told they must sort the financial issues, we should be holding their feet to the fire. These comments will be no doubt unpopular at the the EFL. We have never stood up for ourselves and guided our historic league system on the right LONG TERM STABILITY PATH. It’s another WHOLE GAME SOLUTION which on the face of it solves our short term cash flow needs at long term cost.

There’s already big questions over the deal, not least 25% of what, if all the big clubs stream the big games for their own personal gain. The distribution side of the deal is a dream and would be welcomed by me. We should be targeting government and @OliverDowden to achieve this because the very existence of this document demonstrates all parties are fully aware of the existing problem.I don’t think the existing deal gets passed by the Premier League clubs left out this power grab.If it does and my peers accept the cash, I will accept it. Why wouldn’t I, it gets me off the hook. I will be one of those in years to come that looks over the top of my glasses and says to supporters yes, we sold our soul to the international billionaires because we needed the cash, no wonder the games raspberried. We had no choice, the Premier League stripped us of our cash, then took over like a fairy godmother.

Whatever my peers vote, should there be one, I can’t or won’t hold it against them. We have clubs to run and on the face of it, this solves our problem in the short term. I’d fight tooth and nail to achieve better distribution without the transfer of power. But that’s just me."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Interesting view from the cultured and intelligent Arsene Wenger. He asked, quite rightly, that as we have voted to Brexit, why on earth have we sold all our clubs to foreign ownership.

This isn’t an invite to start a political shitshow thread, I’m just pointing out his comment.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Arsene makes a very good point.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm

Because we didn’t have a choice like Brexit did we?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Interesting view from the cultured and intelligent Arsene Wenger. He asked, quite rightly, that as we have voted to Brexit, why on earth have we sold all our clubs to foreign ownership.

This isn’t an invite to start a political shitshow thread, I’m just pointing out his comment.

Because in both circumstances, money talks and fools are easily manipulated
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Unsurprisingly Bolton Wanderers are in favour of Project Big Picture.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Football Supporters Association - Project Big Picture is a sugar coated cyanide pill

"The insatiable greed of a small handful of billionaire owners cannot be allowed to determine the structure of football in this country."

"A vote by two-thirds of 9 Premier League Clubs [Big 6 + Southampton, West Ham and Everton] would dictate the rules for the rest, meaning half of the top-flight’s clubs would compete in a league which they had no say in running."

"Apparently “money will be advanced to the EFL from increased future revenues”. Is there a guarantee that the money will even materialise? The entire package is based on projected revenues which are, in turn, based on the current media deal. Where is the guarantee that will happen?"

"Since six billionaire club owners can change the rules of the game at any time they like, and would control almost all of the revenue, there is no guarantee that they won’t pull up the drawbridge and cut funding entirely to the EFL as it signed its own death warrant."

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/project-big- ... nide-pill/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Nicola Palios (Tranmere Rovers): "There are some clear good elements to Project Big Picture but they are hugely outweighed by the downsides that will destroy the game in this country. Once you’ve given all the power to a small group they can do what they want."

Bang on Nicola!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:22 pm

I think that’s a fair assessment, the actual financial package is good (we not get better with any other deal imo) but it’s at such a cost to the game that’s it’s still not worth it.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Dan wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Ian Holloway gives them both barrels.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... g-22833820?

I listened to him and before that too. He speaks passionately about lower league football. I can’t help but like the guy.
Football, how we know it in this country is slowly dying. It’s a matter of when and not if, the bigger teams leave for a European league, and I say raspberry off to them. The only trouble is, the big money for the English leagues comes as a result of those teams. Also a note; Aston Villa are a bigger club than Man City, and yet aren’t in the 9!!! The mind boggles.

:shock:

By this I mean, they’ve been cut out the 9 but have spent considerably longer in the top flight, by 15 years on City and at least have a European cup in the cabinet. City might have the financial clout now but Villa have been a bigger club far longer. Certainly should be in the 9. It probably will not happen anyway though. Mind you Forest fans would probably argue they’re bigger :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:26 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Dan wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Ian Holloway gives them both barrels.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... g-22833820?

I listened to him and before that too. He speaks passionately about lower league football. I can’t help but like the guy.
Football, how we know it in this country is slowly dying. It’s a matter of when and not if, the bigger teams leave for a European league, and I say raspberry off to them. The only trouble is, the big money for the English leagues comes as a result of those teams. Also a note; Aston Villa are a bigger club than Man City, and yet aren’t in the 9!!! The mind boggles.

:shock:

By this I mean, they’ve been cut out the 9 but have spent considerably longer in the top flight, by 15 years on City and at least have a European cup in the cabinet. City might have the financial clout now but Villa have been a bigger club far longer. Certainly should be in the 9. It probably will not happen anyway though. Mind you Forest fans would probably argue they’re bigger :lol:

Man City have a European cup in the cabinet

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:32 pm

European Cup Winners Cup isn’t in the same league as the European Cup, otherwise Forest fans wouldn’t mention it every other day.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Be nice to know our owners position on this matter to be honest.
Hjeldefan
First Team
First Team

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Just about to say, I think we really need to know where JR stands on this, he’s a influential owner in the EFL.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were in favour tbh.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 pm

KJW STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:European Cup Winners Cup isn’t in the same league as the European Cup, otherwise Forest fans wouldn’t mention it every other day.

You said European cup not European Cup

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:12 pm

What monies do we get at the moment from premier if any?
How much of the 250 million will be passed onto clubs is another?
chip63
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Reports lots of EFL chairman are happy with the proposed plans.....I cannot think they are seeing the money upfront and not thinking long term.

Would love to hear from the owners or DS as to what they think.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 pm

This is deeply, deeply depressing. I'm done with the football league if they sell the ENGLISH football league to 8 overseas billionaires and a nation state. Let's hope JR or DS was the dissenting voice in League 2.

From BBC's Laura Scott
"Near unanimous support for Project Big Picture during EFL meetings today, clubs say.
Jez Moxey (Burton Albion): "In L1, unanimous"
Nigel Travis (Leyton Orient): "In L2, it was probably 23 of 24 clubs"
Peter Ridsdale (Preston): "No dissenting voices" in Ch'ship re broad principles"

Clive Nates (Lincoln City Chairman) "That then is a blatant lie from Jez Moxey. Was he asleep when I expressed my grave concerns at the meeting over this diabolical power grab. I am vehemently against this deal in it's present form. The acceptance of this deal without question by so many clubs is deeply concerning."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:In the short term this is the answer to an owners prayers and will provide much needed financial assistance during desperate times.

I can see quite a few clubs wanting to sign up believing they can survive the fallout further down the road. I think it will be a close call as far as lower leagues are concerned and hope the premier league rebel.

I can see the attraction of immediate cash for the EFL. However, it's a sprat to catch a mackerel.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:13 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:In the short term this is the answer to an owners prayers and will provide much needed financial assistance during desperate times.

I can see quite a few clubs wanting to sign up believing they can survive the fallout further down the road. I think it will be a close call as far as lower leagues are concerned and hope the premier league rebel.

I can see the attraction of immediate cash for the EFL. However, it's a sprat to catch a mackerel.

Yes of course it is and it should be resisted at all costs. I wasn’t saying the clubs should accept it merely that it would be attractive. Effectively it is thirteen pieces of silver.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:48 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yes of course it is and it should be resisted at all costs. I wasn’t saying the clubs should accept it merely that it would be attractive. Effectively it is thirteen pieces of silver.
Yes, I thought that's how you saw it. You are correct and I completely agree with you. Apologies for any confusion on my part.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 am

Nick Robinson of Radio 4 visited Accrington Stanley on Saturday. He did a good piece which was on "Today" on Radio 4 at about 8.50 this morning.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum