{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Managerial choices

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Managerial choices

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:55 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Flitcrofts last 25 games in charge, which equates to all games after 1/1/19 - W10 D6 L9 (40% win percentage).

Completely mediocre compared to Coughlans 17.3% win percentage from his last 25 games or Dempsters 21.7% win percentage.

Don't let the truth get in the way of the anti Flitcroft nonsense though.


It might be a 40% win ratio, but it’s mid table form over the course of a season. Better than Coughlan and Dempster of course.


When two things are side by side, it's impossible not to compare them.

Polished turds and all that.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Too be fair to JR and Carolyn, we were all highly delighted when JD was sacked and there was talk of replacing him with a League 1 manager whose team was 4th in League 1 and who had just beaten Ipswich Town away at Portman Road. I was. Things like that don't normally happen at Mansfield Town.

I wasn't. It was a rushed appointment. Furthermore, it was someone with little experience. It needed an experienced manager to turn around a mess.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6681
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Stoney » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:20 pm

I watched Simon Ramsden on Undr The Cosh the other day. He spoke about all of his managers including Billy Dearden. He worshipped Stuart McCall but on the subject of Keith Hill he said he was a quality bloke to play for and brilliant man manager.
Stoney
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Bolsover.

Re: Managerial choices

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 am

If we got Keith Hill, wouldn't he want Flitcroft as his number 2? :lol:

Even if not, I expect Flitcroft would tell him not to come here given his bust ups with the board.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Old amber » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:33 am

Manager this! manager that!... we need to give GC a chance... ok it’s not going great and true we have let better players
Go.. but is that entirely his doing? Let’s not forget we are in the middle of one of strangest times.. of any manager.
Training bubbles,testing, no crowds,not the normal freedoms we are used to ...
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:00 am

Old amber wrote:Manager this! manager that!... we need to give GC a chance... ok it’s not going great and true we have let better players
Go.. but is that entirely his doing? Let’s not forget we are in the middle of one of strangest times.. of any manager.
Training bubbles,testing, no crowds,not the normal freedoms we are used to ...


Oh so it’s will be ok when he gets us relegated then. It won’t be his fault at all.

How long would ‘giving him a chance’ be Old Amber? These are the players we have for a full season (may be a little wriggle room but not much) and a new man won’t be able to swap a lot to get quick results. How long would you give GC before asking a new man to perform a miracle?
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 am

For years loads on here have bemoaned the constant changes and asked for consistency. Where are those voices now. We've tried all sorts and it hasn't worked. We need to give someone time to build a team. That doesn't happen after 5 games.

If the signs were dire I'd be saying get rid but its nothing like last year. Our defense is new but nothing like the calamitous stuff we got last term. We don't seem unfit, the effort is there and both of those were lacking under Dempster.

OK paper it was a rushed appointment and he does lack genuine experience but does have some good attributes. The alternative is another lost season gambling that a change will bring instant success and history suggests that doesn't work.

Let's just see what happens, give him a fair chance to build and work with the squad he's assembled. If we're in real danger come Jan then sure a rescue appointment might be needed but to change everything again now seems pointless and a huge waste of time and money.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5085
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Managerial choices

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 am

Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am

oldweststander wrote:Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.

Would be a bit daft to gamble on that assumption though.
Imagine if the government bailed those clubs out, or if the Premier League got out of their bubble for once.

If we went down though, the blame would not be firmly at Coughlan's door and we'd deserve everything we got for poor managerial choices.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: Managerial choices

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am

stagmanrob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.


If we went down though, the blame would not be firmly at Coughlan's door and we'd deserve everything we got for poor managerial choices.


Pre-flipping-cisely.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Old amber wrote:Manager this! manager that!... we need to give GC a chance... ok it’s not going great and true we have let better players
Go.. but is that entirely his doing? Let’s not forget we are in the middle of one of strangest times.. of any manager.
Training bubbles,testing, no crowds,not the normal freedoms we are used to ...


Oh so it’s will be ok when he gets us relegated then. It won’t be his fault at all.

How long would ‘giving him a chance’ be Old Amber? These are the players we have for a full season (may be a little wriggle room but not much) and a new man won’t be able to swap a lot to get quick results. How long would you give GC before asking a new man to perform a miracle?


Stop being so shrill. It’s half a dozen games in. Grow a spine.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 14794
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 am

oldweststander wrote:Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.

So we base our season on the hope that other clubs fall off the cliff financially?

Just shows how far our aspirations have dropped.

And that's even before we talk about entertainment and value for money.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6681
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Managerial choices

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 am

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.

So we base our season on the hope that other clubs fall off the cliff financially?

Just shows how far our aspirations have dropped.

And that's even before we talk about entertainment and value for money.


#ProjectPromotion :?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:21 am

Jamie wrote:For years loads on here have bemoaned the constant changes and asked for consistency. Where are those voices now. We've tried all sorts and it hasn't worked. We need to give someone time to build a team. That doesn't happen after 5 games.

If the signs were dire I'd be saying get rid but its nothing like last year. Our defense is new but nothing like the calamitous stuff we got last term. We don't seem unfit, the effort is there and both of those were lacking under Dempster.

OK paper it was a rushed appointment and he does lack genuine experience but does have some good attributes. The alternative is another lost season gambling that a change will bring instant success and history suggests that doesn't work.

Let's just see what happens, give him a fair chance to build and work with the squad he's assembled. If we're in real danger come Jan then sure a rescue appointment might be needed but to change everything again now seems pointless and a huge waste of time and money.


Yes ive been very vocal about letting someone build a team, but I'm far from convinced that is GC at the minute.

In order to be given time, he has to buy himself some of that time now.

Obviously I think a lot of these players will be released and some retained as part of the building process... but if it looks this bad in another 5 games something will have to be done.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Managerial choices

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 am

Can only have 5 games left at this failure rate
Only difference with Dempster is more outward passion and fitness of players
If he wins next 5 it’s all change of course but that is highly unlikely
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3391
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Managerial choices

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:42 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Don't waste your time discussing managers, GC will not be sacked, what would be the point?
If the media are even half right 2/3 L1&L2 clubs are on the financial edge. There is unlikely to be any relegation. With money tight it wouldn't make sense to sack the manager and his staff and have to pay them off, yet again.


If we went down though, the blame would not be firmly at Coughlan's door and we'd deserve everything we got for poor managerial choices.


Pre-flipping-cisely.


It's all about money, the lack of it and the not throwing good money after bad?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:45 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Can only have 5 games left at this failure rate
Only difference with Dempster is more outward passion and fitness of players
If he wins next 5 it’s all change of course but that is highly unlikely


I think we started to improve with Dempster before he got sacked.. Results weren't consistent enough but performances were changing.

No wins in 5 league games so far and a tough next 5 fixtures.... To give himself time we need 10 points minimum by the end of the month.

And its grim to say but being comfortably mid table would be a great outcome during this season, with no income and a new youthful side. To be able to build for the future, this is the minimum requirement.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:51 pm

If we are at the bottom of the table after 10 games, then I think there will be no choice. Let's hope that results quickly pick up.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:53 pm

We played well in John Dempster's last game away at Crewe. We could easily have won. Nicky Maynard should have scored a hat-trick.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7529
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby daddycool » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We played well in John Dempster's last game away at Crewe. We could easily have won. Nicky Maynard should have scored a hat-trick.

You get no points for could have and should have
daddycool
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:45 pm

I'd love to see a bit more attacking play like we did at Crewe although I think Crewe also hit the post and Mal Benning cleared one off the line.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7529
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'd love to see a bit more attacking play like we did at Crewe although I think Crewe also hit the post and Mal Benning cleared one off the line.


Ahh yes, oh for an attacking team challenging for promotion .... ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:11 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Old amber wrote:Manager this! manager that!... we need to give GC a chance... ok it’s not going great and true we have let better players
Go.. but is that entirely his doing? Let’s not forget we are in the middle of one of strangest times.. of any manager.
Training bubbles,testing, no crowds,not the normal freedoms we are used to ...


Oh so it’s will be ok when he gets us relegated then. It won’t be his fault at all.

How long would ‘giving him a chance’ be Old Amber? These are the players we have for a full season (may be a little wriggle room but not much) and a new man won’t be able to swap a lot to get quick results. How long would you give GC before asking a new man to perform a miracle?


Stop being so shrill. It’s half a dozen games in. Grow a spine.


Watch some games so you know what you are talking about whichever end it’s coming out of.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'd love to see a bit more attacking play like we did at Crewe although I think Crewe also hit the post and Mal Benning cleared one off the line.


Ahh yes, oh for an attacking team challenging for promotion .... ;)


What about a attacking team going for promotion untill the last quarter when we implode, every time, without fail?

The fall out will be us sad raspberry discussing it years later, trust me.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Managerial choices

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 pm

I could with attacking football and the hopes of promotion every year Conker. It's be like supporting Exeter City!
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Conker, gra2355, James, roy, Sandy Pate Best Stag, spizz fan, ST4GS and 43 guests