{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Preston signs for Barnet

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Matt Preston signs for Barnet

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Dan wrote:Forget him being a complete failure as he was here but why do we think certain players played better under Flitcroft than other managers?

A failure who guided us to our highest league position in over 15 years. I'd quite like the current manager to be a failure if that's your definition of failure Dan ;)

As for getting the best out of the players, it was down to the attacking style, it suited those we had and was great to watch, as good as anything since Billy's team. For the first time in over a decade I looked forward to going to the Mill, I knew I was probably going to be entertained - it was not like that under Evans, Murray or Cox, that was a chore and even worse was witnessing the infantile behaviour of Evans on the touchline and his verbal abuse of his own supporters.

As for Preston, he will come good again and I am sure will be back in the EFL - he had a poor season last year under useless management, he looked like a player whose confidence was shot. Barnet have a good player on their hands, he'll smash it at that level.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:57 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Dan wrote:Forget him being a complete failure as he was here but why do we think certain players played better under Flitcroft than other managers?

He wasn't a complete failure, he was part of our incredible defence in his first season under DF.

The hours Df put in with the team on the training ground really showed at times, but then again league two players showing why they are league two also showed a lot.
That team were going the extra mile most weeks but caved in and thought they'd won it towards the end.

Heard it from a couple people at the club and people from swindon that the training under Df was a level above and certain things didn't stop until they had perfected something.

I know were all still gutted at that season but the management team and that squad were the best we've seen for a long time and now were miles off, they even got Mellis playing the best he's ever played. All if buts and maybe's now so hopefully we can get back to that standard one day.

I think Dan was referring to DF being a failure, rather than Preston.

Dan really doesn't like David Flitcroft, & doesn't turn down any opportunity to let us know.

Sorry I just like having a bit of fun winding a few up on here who still love him (& it worked as they all replied!) ;)

At the end of the day he was a good manager for us for a certain period but in the end he failed miserably (twice) which is a shame as I think we would’ve been an established L1 team under him now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:36 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

It's a good question. I think fitness is the answer. I can't be denied that Flitcroft's side was the fittest we've ever had. Last season was probably the least fittest we've ever had. That lead to stupid mistakes and late lunging tackles and being a second slower than the other side. How many times did that ring true last season.

The thing with fitness is people mention the side of the 70s having pints and cigarettes and still being able to win. Well the opposition was doing the same too.

The increased fitness meant that we were a second faster than the opposition and enabled the centre backs to calmly take a touch and bring the ball out. Lots of times Pearce would control the ball and get past the 2 attackers and advance with the ball at his feet. Last season we just "got a touch to it" and decided our job was done.

All players were drinking, smoking and having the likes of steak and chips as a pre match meal. Dave Smith's side were fitter because he was one of the first to introduce training twice a day.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:32 am

He had a debut to forget. He was substituted after 71 minutes when they were 4-1 down at home to Eastleigh who won 5-1!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:31 am

Seems NL is too much for Clogger now, in fact I doubt he'd cut it at AFC.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:07 am

Matt Preston (wearing his special signing jumper) says he has not trained properly since March. In that case, he did well to start yesterday. He went off with cramp.

It will be interesting to watch Loudmouth's match day video.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Just watched the highlights of Barnet’s opening 5-1 home defeat to Eastleigh. Matt Preston was arguably to blame for Eastleigh’s first four goals. Two poor headers and then not dealing with a big boot over the top and then ambling back into defence and losing his man. No wonder he was subbed.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Matt Preston was at fault for County's second goal on Saturday as well. There's also another bit of bad defending in the 2nd half.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just watched the highlights of Barnet’s opening 5-1 home defeat to Eastleigh. Matt Preston was arguably to blame for Eastleigh’s first four goals. Two poor headers and then not dealing with a big boot over the top and then ambling back into defence and losing his man. No wonder he was subbed.

Despite what the commentator says, it is t Preston who heads away before the second goal, it’s the defender in front of him. Definitely at fault for the third, and possibly my the fourth. And then conceded four at Notts!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:17 am

Clogger's always been a player with very, very limited actual footballing ability, he's just a muscle head. However atm he wouldn't look out of place in GC's present shambles of a team.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:40 am

Can't beleive you've loaded up T'Wii to post that
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 am

Can't believe you've bothered to comment.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am

Spiritater wrote:Clogger's always been a player with very, very limited actual footballing ability, he's just a muscle head. However atm he wouldn't look out of place in GC's present shambles of a team.

Under flitcroft he was very good I think, I thought Preston would go on to better things after that season but his career has gone downhill since obviously
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:34 am

Spiritater wrote:Can't believe you've bothered to comment.

Can't believe you've bothered to comment on me commenting
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:36 am

Why bother commenting on my comment about you commenting on my comment of me commenting on how Thomas Tank Preston is?

I await your comment.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 am

Stop playing hard to get and just invite me out for dinner already Tator.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 am

Spiritater wrote:Can't believe you've bothered to comment.

Thanks for proving my point.

A thread about a former player is turned into another berating of the manager.

Sheep
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum