{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Leyton Orient: Club confirms 'players' have coronavirus

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Leyton Orient: Club confirms 'players' have coronavirus

Postby Uncle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Uncle wrote:So, if I now understand the situation, being in contact with a number of COVID victims doesn't require someone to self isolate for fourteen days?

But they’ve had tests and shown to be negative. Why should they isolate ?

The same reason as holiday makers having to self isolate after flying in from a "Covid" country even though they haven't tested positive. How angry are you in yourself that you deliberately brush logic aside, just to find an arguement?
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Uncle wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Uncle wrote:So, if I now understand the situation, being in contact with a number of COVID victims doesn't require someone to self isolate for fourteen days?

The same reason as holiday makers having to self isolate after flying in from a "Covid" country even though they haven't tested positive. How angry are you in yourself that you deliberately brush logic aside, just to find an arguement?

The issue is that holiday makers have not been tested at all and are not entitled to a free test because they don’t have symptoms but might develop them.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:15 pm

part time pete wrote:
Uncle wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

The issue is that holiday makers have not been tested at all and are not entitled to a free test because they don’t have symptoms but might develop them.

Would you get a positive result in the incubation period and have not yet developed the virus?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:48 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:52 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Uncle wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Would you get a positive result in the incubation period and have not yet developed the virus?

It all revolves around symptoms, no symptoms, no need for a free test. If you want to pay for one that's fine but people returning from holiday are untested, maybe they should be but they currently are not.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Interesting that footballers who have got Covid and who have been spitting, breathing and climbing all over footballers who haven’t got it, didn’t end up given the others the disease. Yet people can’t go to a match and sit away from others wearing a mask?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes I understand that OWS and maybe my question wasn’t plain. As I understand the situation all of our players have tested negative. My query is whether the players could have contracted the disease and still return a negative test as they were in the early period of the incubation period. In other words, is the disease traceable straight away or does it need to develop for a period before it can be detected.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm

You can spread the virus before symptoms begin, but the jury is out if asymptomatic people can spread the virus, that’s people who test positive but never show symptoms.

He is the government’s definition of a ‘contact’

What is meant by a ‘contact’
A ‘contact’ is a person who has been close to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 anytime from 2 days before the person was symptomatic up to 10 days from onset of symptoms (this is when they are infectious to others). For example, a contact can be:

people who spend significant time in the same household as a person who has tested positive for COVID-19
sexual partners
a person who has had face-to-face contact (within one metre), with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, including:
being coughed on
having a face-to-face conversation within one metre
having skin-to-skin physical contact, or
contact within one metre for one minute or longer without face-to-face contact
a person who has been within 2 metres of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 for more than 15 minutes
a person who has travelled in a small vehicle with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or in a large vehicle or plane near someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
Where an interaction between 2 people has taken place through a Perspex (or equivalent) screen, this would not be considered sufficient contact, provided that there has been no other contact such as any of those indicated above.

Contacts of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 need to self-isolate at home because they are at risk of developing symptoms themselves in the next 14 days and could spread the virus to others before the symptoms begin

If you are a contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, then you will be notified by the NHS Test and Trace service via text message, email or phone. If you are notified, please follow the guidance in this document closely.

If you have not been notified that you are a contact, this means you do not need to self-isolate and should follow the general guidance, for example, social distancing, hand-washing, and covering coughs and sneezes.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm

"This weekend’s Sky Bet League Two fixture between Walsall and Leyton Orient has been suspended and will not take place on Saturday as scheduled."

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:41 pm

-------------------

Graham Coughlan told Jake Garner of BBC Radio Nottingham, video available on iFollow Stags, Thur 24 Sep 2020

Q: What was your initial reaction when you heard the news (about the positive COVID tests of Leyton Orient)?
Coughlan: "You don't want me to tell you that on camera do you?!?
"To put myself, my players, my football club at risk like that, was downright stupidity. It was shocking. I'll let the authorities deal with that. It's not on.
"They should have liaised with us and the football league, they should have informed us of sickness and what was going on. And the fact is they hadn't.
"I dare say the authorities, be it the football league or the Government, will look on that with a very dim view.
"Had we known, we wouldn't have played, I wouldn't have put my players through that. But we weren't given any information, they weren't transparent with us.
"To blatantly not inform Mansfield Town Football club, to blatantly not inform the EFL, is negligent.
"I didn't enjoy going home to see my own family on Monday evening because I was very worried.
"One or two members of staff and players stayed away from their families in hotels until we got the test results back.
"We should not have been put in that situation.
"It was a massive release of tension to get the results on Wednesday. It was a worrying time. And I was, for a second time, angry."

----------------------
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:-------------------

Graham Coughlan told Jake Garner of BBC Radio Nottingham, video available on iFollow Stags, Thur 24 Sep 2020

Q: What was your initial reaction when you heard the news (about the positive COVID tests of Leyton Orient)?
Coughlan: "You don't want me to tell you that on camera do you?!?
"To put myself, my players, my football club at risk like that, was downright stupidity. It was shocking. I'll let the authorities deal with that. It's not on.
"They should have liaised with us and the football league, they should have informed us of sickness and what was going on. And the fact is they hadn't.
"I dare say the authorities, be it the football league or the Government, will look on that with a very dim view.
"Had we known, we wouldn't have played, I wouldn't have put my players through that. But we weren't given any information, they weren't transparent with us.
"To blatantly not inform Mansfield Town Football club, to blatantly not inform the EFL, is negligent.
"I didn't enjoy going home to see my own family on Monday evening because I was very worried.
"One or two members of staff and players stayed away from their families in hotels until we got the test results back.
"We should not have been put in that situation.
"It was a massive release of tension to get the results on Wednesday. It was a worrying time. And I was, for a second time, angry."

----------------------

Could be anew reason to dock points
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Yes I understand that OWS and maybe my question wasn’t plain. As I understand the situation all of our players have tested negative. My query is whether the players could have contracted the disease and still return a negative test as they were in the early period of the incubation period. In other words, is the disease traceable straight away or does it need to develop for a period before it can be detected.

Yes they could Sandy, and would have to Self Isolate if they were classed as contacts. The football rules have stated playing football doesn't class as a contact as per the test and trace guidance - so they're now classed as OK to continue playing. Whether or not that contact guidance is fit for purpose will I'm sure come out over the course of the season. I'm hoping everyone at our club takes the sensible approach and if players develop symptoms they simply don't play.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 am

part time pete wrote:
Uncle wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Exactly. It’s like debating with kids sometimes. People coming back from holiday have to self isolate or get a test. If they come back negative then they don’t have to isolate.
It’s comparing apples and oranges
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am

Uncle wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Eh ? There’s no anger in the post at all. I’m not looking for an argument. I asked a question. They’ve been tested and found to be negative so no need to isolate. Tourists don’t get tested so they have to isolate. If they test and come back negative then all good for them. Maybe you’re just prejudiced towards my comment.

PS. Who are you again ? Have we ever even debated ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:47 am

Orient thrown out of Carabao cup. A cursory glance around social media suggests sympathy for them which seems rather misplaced to me.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:57 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Orient thrown out of Carabao cup. A cursory glance around social media suggests sympathy for them which seems rather misplaced to me.

Ought to be made to pay for our tests and docked points.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 pm

All about the incubation period :?:

KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bros » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Orient thrown out of Carabao cup. A cursory glance around social media suggests sympathy for them which seems rather misplaced to me.

Apparently 17 people have tested positive at Orient. Would the EFL have been so quick to act if it was Spurs who had tested positive
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:58 pm

A second match off tomorrow

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:54 pm

It's going to be a season of stops and starts.

More important than ever to get points on the board early doors.

The teams that get a good start will benefit more this season.

Best to make hay whilst the sun shines.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:29 pm

Grimsby chairman saying next 3 Grimsby games will be postponed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54298824
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby hucknallstag » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:54 pm

having just read that piece doesnt the following make our testing inconclusive?

Day says Grimsby took the decision to call off the game after consultation with EFL medical team and the club's own medical team.

"Our initial aim was to get everyone tested, and they should be okay as they are not showing any symptoms," he said.

"But the medical advice was that the incubation period is a minimum of five days, so those tests would be of no use whatsoever.

we were tested 3 days after the orient game were we not?
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 pm

hucknallstag wrote:having just read that piece doesnt the following make our testing inconclusive?

Day says Grimsby took the decision to call off the game after consultation with EFL medical team and the club's own medical team.

"Our initial aim was to get everyone tested, and they should be okay as they are not showing any symptoms," he said.

"But the medical advice was that the incubation period is a minimum of five days, so those tests would be of no use whatsoever.

we were tested 3 days after the orient game were we not?

Playing against another team (eg Stags vs Orient), I quoted previously that "EFL's medical advisers also pointed to evidence that there is a very low risk of transmission during an outdoors 11-a-side match."

If one of your own squad tests positive, then the risk of transmission to others in the squad would be quite high I would have thought.

So I think that is the key difference between the two situations.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby hucknallstag » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:06 pm

ahhhhh yes,the penny has dropped.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum